By Frederik de Vree
This extension filters profanity words in Netflix. It both censors the subtitles and mutes the audio on the appropriate sentence. With customizable profanity word list. To use this, subtitles in Netflix need to be turned on. Because the filtering is based on the subtitles, make sure you add profanity words to the list in the language of the subtitles.
- (2019-12-21) Franco Mocke: Great extension
- (2019-12-14) Ashley S: Does what it needs to do! Fabulous.
- (2019-10-01) Christian Barrington: It does not work
- (2019-09-08) Sunflower Dougherty: Please help... this extension is not working properly. Using the latest version of Chrome "76.0.3809.132 (Official Build) (64-bit)" on Windows 10 and with the Netflix English subtitles [CC] turned on with this extension active, it will play the audio and subtitles for just like one or two seconds, then all of the sudden the following two lines of code display on the screen very tiny ***<***s***p***a***n*** ***s***t***y***l***e***=***"***f***o***n***t***-***s***i***z***e***=***3***8***p***x***.***l***i***n***e***-***h***e***i***g***h***t***=***n***o***r***m**a***l*** and it goes on and there's another duplicate line below that. As soon as the code looking stuff appears real tiny across the screen in place of the larger subtitles, immediately the audio is silenced basically from then on. Is there a way to fix this?
- (2019-04-26) Douglas Brain: A good idea (especially if you make subtitles smaller and transparent in the netflix settings) but too often it doesn't mute long enough. For example in "the making of the mob S1 E1" at 11:03 the filter kicks in for "oh" and stars out the following blaspheme but the audio kicks back in for the word it is trying to filter. A "duration of mute" option to extend it, or mute for the position of the word in the subtitles would be better. I played with the "ms" option for checking the subtitles but this just made it haphazard in the detection so isn't the answer. 2 words, the last one to me muted, mute for the latter 50% of the duration of the subtitle.
- (2019-02-24) Worked good but now it doesn't.
- (2019-02-06) Timothy Huang: Can you also make a youtube version for this? So it does the same thing for netflix as for youtube.
- (2018-12-16) Karen Frye: I can't get it to work
- (2018-11-22) bert isdirt: its ok just annoying it sensors the whole sentence not just the word
- (2018-08-24) Casper Bloemendaal: Please add an option to only censor the subtitles, maybe even a suboption to only mute audio if the language matches the subtitlelanguage, because Dutch is often translated much ruder than the English version is. Awesome plugin :) Zou je een optie kunnen toevoegen die alleen de ondertiteling censureert? Misschien zelfs een optie die alleen censureert wanneer de ondertitelde taal de gesproken taal matcht, gezien de Nederlandse vertaling vaak een stuk groffer is dan het gesproken Engels.
- (2018-06-06) Don D: Worked on one computer & not on another. Both 64bit Win7, one works flawlessly, the other simply does not work (yes, I set them up the same - I even uninstalled & reinstalled it, no change). Wish it was reliable.
- (2018-05-16) 85Nulife: Great extension. Appreciate the efforts on this.
- (2018-04-06) Ella Bekeen: Not working...at all...
- (2017-12-28) Rocco du Plessis: Great app, but needs the option to hide the subtitles. Thanks otherwise!
- (2017-10-18) Jonathan Els: Blocks the subtitle swear word but not the audio.
- (2017-10-09) Darryl Green Music: Garbage!!! Did not work with subtitles and I find it completely dumb you need the subtitles on.
- (2017-08-21) Pieter van der Merwe: This works great. Thank you so much!
- (2017-08-19) Amanda Rankin: Added offending words and they still came through, loud and clear. Glad I tested before anyone else tried it out. I tried to copy and paste, I tried to manually enter, I tried saving after adding each line, and then saving after doing a bulk add. Nothing got this this to work. It's junk.
- (2017-07-16) Kevin: This extension works flawlessly. It works off of recognizing the words or phrases in the subtitles. So activate the subtitles in Netflix and then download a Chrome extension called "Remove Netflix Subtitles" and activate it. Once you add a word to the Netflix Profanity Filter, you will then need to "refresh" or "reload" the page of the movie you are currently playing.
- (2017-07-09) Janna Young: used to work, now its not
- (2017-06-09) Andrew McNeill: Excellent app.
- (2017-05-18) 3D Virgins: Works perfectly! Awesome plug-in!
- (2017-04-23) BigHunterification: For the most part it works great! Every now and then it will edit words that contain parts of profanity such as, "assume" or "helicopter." Overall, we enjoy being able to watch shows without having to hear the garbage.
- (2017-03-20) Caleb Walz: Thank you so much! Works great. There is a chrome extension you can get that hides the subtitles for you. It is free (Remove Netflix Subtitles). Or you can buy Ufilter extension that does it all for you.
- (2017-03-10) Mary Haven: How do you even get to the screen to add the words? This is broken!!!