Replaces hyberbolic headlines from bombastic viral websites with a slightly more realistic version.
Downworthy replaces hyberbolic headlines from bombastic viral websites with a slightly more realistic version. "Literally" becomes "figuratively", "Will Blow Your Mind" becomes "Might Perhaps Mildly Entertain You For a Moment", and so on. Visit the website at downworthy.snipe.net for more info.
- (2021-03-29) Sheep: TOO UNDERRATED
- (2017-02-17) Sarah Saroka: Great for all my sarcastic needs in life.
- (2017-01-21) Rob Dominguez: You won't believe what I did with this Chrome extension after I started using it ... oh wait, yeah you would ... I sent a link for it to all of my link forwarding friends
- (2017-01-05) Nick Dixon: Would be much improved if it could match case instead of always using sentence-case. Currently lower-case "literally" becomes "Figuratively". Would also benefit from an option to replace headlines only.
- (2016-09-19) nour bour: cvvvv
- (2016-06-06) David Calman: You haven't updated it in 2 years.
- (2015-05-21) Beatrice Gatta: can't choose when to use it and the "exclude link" function doesn't work properly. I'll deactivate the extension until it's fixed.
- (2015-04-21) Sally Milton: Thank you, thank you, thank you for allowing my sanity to return! The on/off feature is excellent so that if desired, I can wind myself up by reading crap in its original state just to remind me what life was like before this wonderful plugin entered my life.
- (2015-04-09) Jessica Rickards: DO NOT USE THIS EXTENSION ON A COMPUTER YOU WORK FROM. I installed this and forgot it was in place, and it replaced copy on a client's website, changing "best" to "most unexceptional." The client was, needless to say, less than pleased. This extension needs a warning right at the top to let you know it will affect any work done in the browser.
- (2015-02-26) Lindsey Christopher: Didn't work for me. Didn't change anything in hyperbolic headlines, but did in things like product reviews and recipes. Not helpful.
- (2015-01-26) Samuel Crea: Just perfect
- (2014-11-30) Brian Colby: Love it.
- (2014-11-21) Adam Waselnuk: Finally. I can read my Facebook timeline again!
- (2014-10-26) Karun Japhet: Needs the ability to have this applied only on certain sites (such as Facebook) and ignore innocent bystanders from being affected.
- (2014-10-15) Jorge Girju: Es muy util.
- (2014-09-26) George Kharlakian: Very nice when visiting any site littered with stupid headlines and bullshit clickbait, but the plugin has issues nonetheless. The plugin doesn't just work on the headlines, it works on general text as well. When looking for a best answer, visiting any site will change "best answer" to "Most unexceptional answer" and you may not even realize it unless you've been running downworthy for a long time and learn to recognize this. It aso affects emails.
- (2014-09-19) leigh mount: this gadget turns my internet into a still field loaded with landmines of splenetic fun.
- (2014-09-19) Luke Shiras: As was pointed out, some pages freeze when this is on. Be sure to exclude those pages by going to the extension's settings and adding the url of that page/site
- (2014-07-26) Brett Profitt: It was fun when it first was released, but some recent updates have made it too aggressive and it rewrites too many things.
- (2014-06-05) David Muldoon: Amazing idea, but doesn't do anything for me. For everyone complaining that it works on "all" websites, you shouldn't be using addons if you can't add websites to it's safe list.
- (2014-05-20) Harvey Allsop: Absolutely hilarious. Was on bbc bitesize and it said "This Is Our Bullshit Clickbait Version Of What Happens:"
- (2014-04-26) Lorraine Sisneros: I thought this would be fun. It is causing pages to NOT load and I can not figure out how to remove it, as it does not show up on my apps menu. NOT fun. Edit. I figured out how to get rid or it. It was on a different menu. Still don't like it.
- (2014-04-21) Steven Lusk: The great fact is that Downworthy is not limited to just headlines. For example, sorting online marketplace results by "Best rating first" becomes, "Most Unexceptional Rating first," and the effects on unwitting users can be hilarious.
- (2014-04-08) George Potter: Has allowed me to check my facebook feed again without wanting to throttle everyone.
- (2014-04-08) Jared Janhsen: Bringing a bit more humor to an internet cluttered with stupid headlines.
- (2014-03-27) Sarah Evans: Thank god for this. Hilarious
- (2014-02-11, v:0.0.7) Thomas Christensen: "Will touch your heart like never before"
Please fix this headline.. http://www.superstarmagazine.com/this-video-my-beautiful-woman-will-touch-your-heart-like-never-before-must-watch/
- (2014-02-05, v:0.0.7) Breaks Maps.google.com
When enabled Downworthy breaks maps.google.com causing it to become unresponsive.
- (2014-02-02, v:0.0.7) Mark Langley: Doesn't work, except on your site
I tried the app on several sites and saw no change, then I visited downworthy.com for help. There, I noticed that it was working! It said, "Figuratively" becomes "Figuratively" "Might Perhaps Mildly Entertain You For a Moment" becomes "Might Perhaps Mildly Entertain You For a Moment", etc. Using Chrome Version 32.0.1700.102 m. Maybe it's user error, but the struggle to get it doing what I expected is beyond my interest level.
- (2014-02-01, v:0.0.7) Ali Kashani: LinkedIn crash
The plugin makes LinkedIn's main page freeze on Chrome 31.0.1650.63 m. Other LinkedIn pages (i.e., profile, etc.) work fine. I've tested on two Win7 machines with up-to-date Chromes. PS: Thanks for the great work!
- (2014-01-31, v:0.0.7) Noah Atwi: Makes google+ freeze
Like I indicated in my review, this extension makes the webpage google plus freeze. This may be in specific combination with my hardware/software, but I have tested uninstalling just this extension and google plus begins loading right away.