Replaces animated gifs throughout the internet with gfycat optimized HTML5 videos.
Works with Reddit Enhancement Suite! Chrome extension that replaces gifs hosted by imgur to HTML5-optimized video converted and hosted by gfycat. Gfycat is a gif optimization service that compresses gifs into HTML5 videos, where they can enjoy lower file size, GPU acceleration (great on mobile!) and pause/play/seek. This extension will modify anchor links to gfycat.com/fetch links, which transcode & show the gif after transcoding. `img` tags with a gif hosted on imgur will trigger a `transcodeRelease` action, which will cause the gif to be transcoded on gfycat's servers if it hasn't already. To improve the user experience, gifs are only replaced with gfycat videos if they are already transcoded on gfycat's servers. Otherwise, the original gif is shown. As soon as one user - anywhere - views that gif on gfycat, all users will see the transcoded version when using this extension. CHANGELOG ======== v1.4.7 ------ * Fix a MutationObserver spec change leading to an error on new browsers. v1.4.6 ------ * Prevent extremely small erroneous autoresizing caused an interaction with RES. v1.4.5 ------ * Fixed a bug where a GIF displayed smaller than its original size via CSS would cause the converted gfy to have a size ceiling. v1.4.4 ------ * Gfys will now be the correct size when replacing a GIF that has been manipulated via CSS to be smaller than its original size. v1.4.3 ------ * Gfycat videos can now be reverted back to GIFs via the right-click menu. v1.4.2 ------ * Fixed broken google pagespeed lazy loading. v1.4.1 ------ * Doubleclicking gfycat controls will no longer cause the zoom level to change. * Fixed a control display issue in comment threads caused by an RES change. v1.4.0 ------ * Fixed a bug where the original gif would annoyingly show up before the gfy loaded. * Made gfycat controls much more usable and eliminated padding animation on hover. * Fixed a bug where you would resize the gfy on right/middle click. * Improved album performance and started caching gfy urls. v1.3.3 ------ * Further fixes to RES galleries. They should work well front to back, now. * Tweaks to make gfy drag resizing a lot less annoying. v1.3.2 ------ * Fixed a bug where gifs would stop animating if they were not loadable from Gfycat. * Now displaying an error when a manual conversion fails (error from Gfycat API). v1.3.1 ------ * Added support for minus.com, photobucket.com, and lots more. See the complete list at https://github.com/STRML/Imgur-to-Gfycat/blob/e39509b64358514c554e1c49f22c9ce75c02d782/Source/imgur-to-gfycat.js#L12 * Fixed RES album support. v1.3.0 ------ * Added context menu support for converting files that may have been missed, such as non-imgur gifs or gifs with incorrect extensions (such as the many gifs with the .jpg extension on /r/gifs) v1.2.0 ------ * Gfycat gifs/videos can now be dragged to resize, much like images in RES. Doubleclick to restore the original size. v1.1.3 ------ * Fix clicks on gfycat controls opening a new tab when the gfy is surrounded by an anchor (RES, etc). * Prevented execution of gfyembed.js unless a gif needs conversion. Should fix some previous weird issues with other sites, e.g. YouTube. v1.1.2 ------ * Fix gfycat.com/fetch urls breaking when this extension is active. v1.1.1 ------ * Convert all eligibble anchor links to point to gfycat if a gfycat url has successfully been resolved. * Fix gfycat controls overflowing in RES. v1.1.0 ------ * Fix some issues with incorrect navigation when using RES. * Prevent loading of original gifs to save bandwidth if they are going to be replaced anyway. v1.0.0 ------ * Initial release.
- (2019-05-02) johnny richard: it don't work
- (2018-10-25) Curtis Ruecker: Adblock in the extension screenshot, 😕cmon bruh
- (2017-06-06) Luke A: Doesn't even work
- (2016-07-18) Bob Aman: Kinda sorta works, but has a super-inefficient RegExp that ends up being 97% of the runtime workload of almost every page load. Basically makes the whole internet slower while making GIFs faster. Not really a good trade-off.
- (2015-09-19) ThunderVega: When it works, it's a really great extension. Unfortunately, it only works randomly and sparsely, like 2/10 rate. The right click option "convert to gfycat"/"revert to gif" doesn't seem to do anything at all.
- (2015-03-12) Tom Barton: They blocked gifs on imgur at work to save data. I cannot believe this existed exactly tailored to the situation.
- (2015-02-02) Hunter Smith: Imgur gifs suck.
- (2015-01-21) Ross Swartz: Doesn't really work
- (2014-10-09) Alban Selmancena: Works with Imagus 10/10
- (2014-10-05) Zequi yo: It's pretty broken (at least on Reddit)
- (2014-09-24) Xava: This is awesome. Thanks!
- (2014-09-23) Peter Abe: It used to work just fine, but for some reason it doesn't do anything now. Not sure why it stopped working.
- (2014-09-02) Daniel B: Doesn't work more often than it does. Mostly blank Gifs when using RES.
- (2014-08-24) Michael Hayworth: It works pretty well, like others have said sometimes it just doesn't work. On some pages it seems to never work, so I would like the option to blacklist pages from this extension so it a page doesn't work I can fix it.
- (2014-08-03) Schwarz Kater: That's the f*cking best Plugin ever made. Works perfect and saves me HOURS. I have slow internet and I can't life without anymore. Please make this plugin work with every following chrome versions and website updates. omg. I love you! :D I use it with hoverzoom and RES. Perfect!
- (2014-07-25) Denilson Sá Maia: It doesn't work all the time, and the injected script runs on mouse events on all tabs (i.e. bloat).
- (2014-07-11) Quinnlan Kuhl: Why does it only convert Imgur gifs? Also doesn't seem to process .gifs that aren't actually animations.
- (2014-06-21) Mulatto Butts: doesnt always work
- (2014-06-21) Ismael Barros: Godsend.
- (2014-06-01) Jess Q.: This is exactly what I've wanted! My internet is rather slow and loading gifs is a ridiculous pain. I used to have to manually copy each gif into gfycat and then watch it. This extension does that for me and is amazing!
- (2014-06-01) Neon Nguyen: This put a smile on my face. Thank you for making GIF subreddits and the internet usable.
- (2014-05-31) Brian R: Doesn't always work.
- (2014-05-12) Scott Daniel: Works very well. Doesn't always seem to catch everything (but I guess it doesn't always from the overview). It would be nice to have the option of having specific gifs not convert.
- (2014-05-07) César: Thanks Sott. I know I've thanked you already for fixing the CSS issue but this way I can tangibly appreciate your work. Hands down 5 stars.
- (2014-05-02) zeppy13131: How about adding the ability to STOP all animation GIFs? That's all I was trying to use this for—but no. I find it incredible that there's apparently now way to prevent animations in Chrome now. Should we actually be REQUIRED to have these goofy things spinning away while we're trying to read webpages? What's the deal?
- (2017-02-14, v:1.4.8) Nameless Unboxing’s: It Cant Seem to work
i downloaded it but i cantt get it to work! can you give me steps to make it work?
- (2016-05-11, v:1.4.8) Tyler Wolfe-Adam: Freezes Imgur tab
Hello! I love this extension, however I recently discovered it's the reason that uploading an image above 100x100px causes Imgur (and thus the tab it's in) to freeze up. I know this is the issue, as I've had it happen in an incognito window where it was the only allowed extension. Great extension other than that though!
- (2016-01-07, v:1.4.8) Александр Шинкунс: Earn from $7000
Earn from $7000 per month from every 100k users. Get in touch! skype: extension.monetizer email: [email protected]
- (2015-10-16, v:1.4.8) Mirel Masic: automatic
This should work automatically if you ask me.
- (2015-06-21, v:1.4.8) Jack Meredith: transcoding
If I view a normal gif while running this extension, as it runs a transcode on gfycat, will the next time I view it run on fgycat or will it have to be manually done?
- (2015-05-30, v:1.4.8) Danny Lam: gifv
Why no support for gifv? Also, most of the time the conversion doesn't work. You have broken this beautiful extension to the point where it is pointless now. You're worthless.
- (2015-05-15, v:1.4.8) gvs akhil: gifv to gfycat
With the introduction of the new format of 'gifv' , many links automatically do not redirect to the gfycat version.Gfycat is still faster than gifv so this is why I ask you to implement this.
- (2015-04-21, v:1.4.8) Collin Walther: Randomly not working
Since the latest update, the gfycat hangs on the "downloading gif..." page about 50% of the time and I have to reload it to make it work.
- (2015-03-14, v:1.4.6) Ismael Barros: Errors out even outside imgur
I see this error on the console on every page I browse, even outside Imgur: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=RE8rZzRj My browser is Chromium 41.0.2272.89 (Developer Build) Revision a4d5695040a99b9b2cb196eb5b898383a274376e
- (2014-12-02, v:1.4.6) Zillionair1: Non-Animated Gifs
Hey! I love Imgur to Gfycat, but I noticed that it tries to convert non-animated GIFs to gfycat, which lengthens loading times on certain web pages by several (Four) seconds. This is problematic on pages that repeatedly load and reload non-animated gifs. To fix this, you could either fix the extension so that it does not try to converted non-animated gifs, or allows us to blacklist certain sites where this is an issue. Thanks!