Save references to Zotero from your web browser
Zotero is a free, easy-to-use, open-source tool to help you collect, organize, annotate, cite, and share research. The Zotero Connector automatically senses content as you browse the web and allows you to save items to Zotero with a single click. If a PDF is available, the Connector can save it to your library to read later, and it can even save snapshots of webpages in case they change or disappear. Whether you're searching for a preprint on arXiv.org, a journal article from JSTOR, a news story from the New York Times, or a book from your university library catalog, Zotero has you covered with support for thousands of sites. Additionally, if you use a web-based proxy to access resources your institution subscribes to, the Zotero Connector can automatically redirect you through the proxy when you follow links to those sites from elsewhere on the web, making sure that you always have access to PDFs and other gated content. While the Connector can save most pages directly to your zotero.org account, for the full Zotero experience be sure to install the Zotero desktop app, which allows you to organize your references efficiently, insert citations automatically into Word, LibreOffice, and Google Docs, and much more. You can download Zotero for free from https://www.zotero.org/download We are happy to help with any issues you encounter with the Zotero Connector, but we cannot do so through the Chrome Web Store. For bug reports, questions, comments, or help, please visit https://www.zotero.org/support/getting_help
- (2023-03-20) Samuel Lee: It makes saving references for school papers much easier.
- (2023-02-08) Rosane Oliveira: It is little bit complicate to use.
- (2023-01-22) Emmy Urbina: This is the worst extension I have ever used. While I've un- and reinstalled numerous times, there always seems to be an issue whether it is saving all of my webpages and not being able to create an actual bibliography, or simply the time it takes to download or save anything. An absolute waste of time. I would never recommend to anyone, much less to a class of University students. Do not waste your time.
- (2023-01-06) Hanna Parker: Very useful and great for organizing publications. However there is no option to save and cite websites!
- (2022-12-05) Hermis14: I like this extension. But it seems I can't rename tags in the web version, while only the desktop version allows me to do it. Can you please update the extension so that I can rename the tags at once? Thank you!
- (2022-12-05) Anant Vemuri: An indispensable tool when researching something. However in the last update, I haven't been able to use the extension. It simple does not respond. It works great on Edge but on Brave it has stopped working entirely.
- (2022-11-18) Zakia Tibhir: t bien
- (2022-11-11) David Freedman: Works wonderfully in MS Word - a huge time saver for writing scientific papers. I've been using it for >5 years
- (2022-10-29) Samuel Viana: Not working on Edge 106 and by the last critics I read, not working also in other Chromium-based browsers after September 2022. Removed and installed again,I haven't installed any new installations and either of the ways, it doesn't work !
- (2022-10-08) Isabella Katchanov: Chrome extension version doesn't work. Doesn't do anything. Haven't tried the computer download version yet.
- (2022-10-05) Kamia Hendricksen: Does not work anymore for some reason. Will not recognize anything as something that can be cited. Sad.
- (2022-10-02) James isok: the extension doesn't work
- (2022-09-08) Olivia Eck: Downloaded the chrome extension and it doesnt even work with google docs. Useless.
- (2022-08-29) Sol Frias: no sirve para nada, un fiasco la verdad
- (2022-08-08) Brianne Aiken: This is really helpful when I can use it, but since the source code allows execution of source code, most institutions' cyber departments won't allow the extension on their computers. Super annoying.
- (2022-07-24) Anna Howes: Everything has been working well for me so far, it is so nice to be able to use the integrated Word function to add citations during thesis writing (rather than having to add things in EndNote separately) - and unlike Mendeley Reference Manager I don't have to go through my IT department to request login credentials!
- (2022-07-08) José Londoño-Cardozo: Me facilita mucho la vida. Me encanta
- (2022-07-07) Harry Wang: Does not work.
- (2022-06-21) Nathalie Irvine: I love this tool but i think there is a bug in the new update. its no longer recognizing articles in my web browser as articles it thinks everything is a website.
- (2022-05-31) Zakia Yahya: pada saat saya hubungkan dengan google documen dan saya klik ikon zotero tidak bisa malah keluar notifikasi seperti ini (the zotero connector was unable to communicate with the zotero desktop application. zotero must be open to use web-based citing. you can download zotero or troubleshoot the connection if necessary.) gimana ya solusinya?. saya sudah lakukan berbagai cara tetap saja tidak bisa
- (2022-05-25) Nurus Sa'adah: kenapa ya di ms word saya yg awalnya connect skrang sudah ga conecnt lagi? mhon bantunnya
- (2022-04-24) L. Carolina CARRERE: Antes me funcionaba mejor, ahora demora mucho. Lo uso en google docs y cada vez que quiero insertar una cita vuelve a actualizar el documento. Antes me permitía insertar directamete desde google docs ahora sí o si actualiza y eso hace más lento el proceso :(
- (2022-04-21) Nicolas: Doesn't work in google docs, useless, I could fiddle with it for hours and still not get what I want. For a tool designed to add citations, it does its job poorly.
- (2022-04-08) Catherine McDougall: WTAF? I have been using the connector for years during my PhD studies. I tried to save something today and it won't connect read the web page. Chrome is updated. Connector is updated. The program is downloaded onto my desktop. I've uninstalled and reinstalled three times (once more than a previous commenter suggested). This is so disruptive. I am so disappointed.
- (2022-04-06) 涂智仁: 非常好用
- (2022-03-20) John Rincón: Great extension from open source developer! Note, it seems Chrome has changed the permission settings for the plug-in which will break the Connector if you already have it installed. If you uninstall and reinstall the connector and temporally change the "Site Access" to "All Sites" under "Manage Extensions", it will start working again
- (2022-03-14) Durand Jarrett-Amor: Doesn't work anymore with Zotero app. Everytime I use the connector to add a paper to Zotero, the Zotero app crashes. It's useless now. May as well switch to Mendeley
- (2022-03-10) 聂川: 是我一直想要的
- (2022-03-09) Laurel: EDIT: So I think I was able to fix my prior issue (connector saving as a webpage instead of retrieving the PDF and not collecting metadata) by uninstalling and reinstalling the extension a 2nd time (it didn't fix it the 1st time I tried). It still has trouble sometimes (~30% of the time), and I have some frustrations with certain aspects of it and Zotero overall, but I think they're still comparatively better than Mendeley in terms of retrieving metadata.
- (2022-02-24) Brennan Gunnell: I would love to see the logo show up as red on the extension.
- (2022-02-17) M. Mitchell Waldrop: It doesn't work. I try to insert a citation, and it simply says, "Zotero is updating your document, please wait" -- endlessly. And yes, the Windows Zotero app is indeed open.
- (2022-02-10) Mary Owino: Quite good
- (2022-01-28) Abel V: It is a catastrophe. Working on a google docs with multiple people and the number of times I had to relink all citations is crazy. And the procedure of relinking is so so slow. It was a mistake to go for Zotero.
- (2022-01-23) Jali Ig: very inspirating!
- (2022-01-23) Swarnameenaa: Zotero is no longer showing the "save" option. What could have gone wrong? How to make it come back. I have Zotero downloaded onto my PC.
- (2022-01-13) Wilder Agudelo Parra: Excelente aplicación, fácil de usar y muy intuitiva
- (2022-01-04) Carles Borredá: It has stopped working in the last 2 months. I last used it on November and it worked perfectly. But when it worked it was great.
- (2022-01-01) Emma Torres: ne fonctionne pas
- (2021-10-26) Mamoudou Keita: C'est excellent
- (2021-09-21) Liv Geisel: Used to love Zotero for writing my nursing school papers. It no longer saves PDFs apparently which is super annoying as lots of my sources are PDFs.
- (2021-08-30) li kwan: It was so useful，why it is blocked？！
- (2021-07-10) Jorge D' Villarreal: excelente
- (2021-06-16) Satyaki Mallick: Simple, Easy, Amazing
- (2021-05-21) Martin Macdonald: Zotero is saving my life and drastically improving my workflow
- (2021-05-20) Md. Rakib Hossain: Its really good.
- (2021-05-13) Vivek R: very useful.
- (2021-05-11) Tillmann Brodbeck: Hey this extension is really awesome! I have only one feature I would like to suggest for the 5th star 🌟 : It would be so great if there would be an option for the citation key to be automatically be copied into clipboard when a new citation is generated!
- (2021-05-04) Francisco Juan Germán Bellod: A quien no le funcione, es que ayer 3 dejó de funcionar, que no se angustien como yo mirando output, dicen que en poco tiempo lo solucionarán
- (2021-04-03) Petr Kuderov: Thanks, guys, for the great tool! Saves a lot of time. Works like charm (.. well, most of the time)
- (2021-03-26) Oliver Rigg: Really good for the most part and better than the reference manager plugin for Mendeley. It would be cool if: 1. Clicking on the Zotero Connector button on Chrome *opened Zotero* rather than returning an error message telling me that Zotero isn't open. 2. Sometimes when using this tool, a dialogue box opens offering me a single option of a reference. I then have to click the check box and click okay. This seems pointless! It would be better if Zotero Connector just automatically added the citation in cases where there is only one to 'choose' from.
- (2017-04-13, v:188.8.131.52) Sebastian L.: some pages not working
Hi, some pages can be saved to we flawless, others I get an error message (standalone not installed) Example http://www.chefkoch.de/rezepte/2109501340136606/Tagliatelle-al-Salmone.html works fine .. saved to web with snapshot ... Same page in print view: http://www.chefkoch.de/rezepte/drucken/2109501340136606/2309481a/4/Tagliatelle-al-Salmone.html Doesn't save and notifies me that the standalone is not installed ... Strange isnt it ...? Any idea? Best Sebastian
- (2017-04-09, v:184.108.40.206) Mengfei Xu: cannot capture pdf in Oivd PsycINFO
cannot download pdf in PsycINFO database
- (2017-03-28, v:220.127.116.11) José Pedro Correia: Import from ResearchGate
Currently, when viewing a publication on ResearchGate, the Zotero Connector only offers the option to import as web page. However, all the metadata of the publication is there, often even the PDF. It would be nice to be able to properly import the publication using all the metadata available.
- (2017-03-08, v:18.104.22.168) Terry Gillyard: It not working for me .Please help.
[email protected] Hi, Terry here, Zotero could not load, one component required to communicate with my word processor. I think I ensured the appropriate Word extension was installed and tried again. No go. Next message, We're sorry. We can't open zotero because we found a problem with its content. next message, Microsoft Office cannot open this file because some parts are missing or invalid. Word found unreliable content in Zotero-4.09.29.16(11).xpi". Do you want to recover the contents of this document? If you trust the source of this document, click yes.
- (2017-03-06, v:22.214.171.124) Matthieu Peycelon: Problème d'installation
Bonsoir, Impossible d'installer le module Zotero Connector Sur le lien "ajouté à Chrome", on ne peut pas cliquer. J'ai désactivé le bloqueur de publicités sans succès. merci pour votre aide. Cordialement, M. Peycelon
- (2017-03-05, v:126.96.36.199) no Z button on my toolbar
I just added Zotero to my toolback but I don't have the Z button, only the file one.
- (2017-02-22, v:188.8.131.52) Felix Figueroa: Zotero not launching
Per subject line, Zotero not launching. Pop up message says "Mozglu.dill is missing from your computer, try reinstalling"
- (2017-02-20, v:184.108.40.206) Brian Waller: zotero not connected to chrome
A mystery! on Zotero connector is says 'Added to chrome', but so sign of zotero when i search for anything in chrome.No icon , no indication of article , book etc . It was working ok but not now
- (2017-02-20, v:220.127.116.11) Brian Waller: chrome not connecting to zatero
zotero has been working brilliantly but no more.chrome searched just dnt show zotero buton or icon
- (2017-02-18, v:18.104.22.168) Z button has disappeared
The 'Z' button has just disappeared from my browser (firefox), as far as I'm aware without me doing anything! The button to save things to Zotero is still there but I can't open Zotero to see those things. I've used Zotero without this problem for several months and don't think I've just updated anything. I'm panicking! How can I get the button back and open Zotero?