Allows a user to provide the URL of the page that loads in a new tab.
Allows you to change the new tab page to the New Tab Redirect app page, or a custom URL of your choice! Choose from chrome's about pages, *NewTab, Extensions, Downloads, History*, a few popular URLs, or provide your own. Your custom tab can also be a local file, allowing you to create your own new tab page. Saving blank text will cause your new tab to be about:blank. Files can begin with: file:\\, file://, and file:/// Important: This is not meant to replace your homepage, only new tabs. If your browser is set to load the New Tab page as your homepage, there may be odd consequences. Note: Because this extension perform a "redirect", I have no control over address bar highlighting or focus. *********** Report Bugs *********** https://github.com/jimschubert/NewTab-Redirect/issues *********** Legal Stuff *********** I am not affiliated with Google or Google Chrome. Google Chrome is a registered trademark of Google, Inc. The 'Popular Pages' are taken from www.alexa.com/topsites. I am in no way affiliated with Google, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, Wikipedia, Digg, Slashdot or any other page listed here. These are provided as a convenience to the user of this extension. By using those pages or any others as a replacement for your new tab, you are still bound by any agreement between you and that site or service.
- (2021-04-14) Christian MacDonald: Works as intended.
- (2021-04-02) Adam Goulston: Virus (Trojan)? Shortly after downloading and enabling this extension, my Malwarebytes application started popping up messages about a Trojan attempting to a risky connection to a blocked web site on every web site I visited in my browser. I disabled and removed the extension and the warning message disappeared. I can only assume that some malware may have infected this extension so I am not in a position to recommend it.
- (2021-03-01) Ruben Spyckerelle: Geen idee waarom hier zoveel verwarrde mensen zijn in de recensies. Deze Extensie doet exact dat wat je denk... geeft je de keuze om je eigen "new tab pag" in te voeren
- (2021-02-28) Dylan: This works excellently in Microsoft Edge and allows users to release the grasp that Microsoft has on it's users of the browser. Totally recommend.
- (2021-02-01) R P: An alle, die nach Aufruf eines neuen Tabs den Fokus in der Adressleiste haben möchten: bitte "about:blank" als Startseite eintragen, oder unter den Optionen - zu einer beliebigen Startseite - einen Haken bei "Always update tab, not redirect. (Enable for cursor in the address bar)" setzen. Sollten Sie hingegen doch eine bestimmte Seite aufrufen, fragen Sie Sich doch bitte, warum der Fokus in die Adressleiste gehört. (Beim Aufruf von dict.leo.org, oder Google/Yahoo, etc. würden Sie Sich doch genau darüber schwarz ärgern.) An alle, die beim Aufruf einer Seite das Icon geändert bekommen möchten: bitte eine andere Erweiterung (das hier heißt "New Tab Redirect" und ist dafür gedacht) benutzen und die schlechte Bewertung demjenigen geben, der die für seine ursprünglichen Bedürfnisse falsche Erweiterung installiert hat. An alle, die Facebook, etc. nicht nutzen/aufrufen möchten (ihnen gebührt mein vollstes Verständnis): Sie müssen die Seite überhaupt nicht eintragen/aufrufen. An "alle", die nichts Besseres zu tun haben, als die schlechten Bewertungen mancher Anwender mit nichts sagenden, vollkommen überflüssigen Kommentaren zu bestätigen: bitte suchen Sie Sich doch eine produktive Beschäftigung. Heute (2021) sehe ich hier auch keine sinnlos beanspruchten Zugriffsrechte. Ich benutze die Erweiterung seit paar Jahren, ohne Auffälligkeiten. Apropos, wer sich im Internet nicht mehr (oder wenig) "bloßstellen" möchte, sollte die Finger am besten - unter Anderem - von Google lassen - es wird nicht einfach. Ich bin froh, dass ich endlich beim Aufruf eines Tabs das sehe, was (und vor allem wie) ich möchte, dass ich eine einfache Erweiterung habe, die genau das tut, was sie verspricht.
- (2021-01-30) Donderstorm: Does what it says and it's pretty fast. No complaints.
- (2021-01-26) Robert Work Chasmer: So this used to work really well for me. Used it for maybe a year. But I noticed it stopped working now for me.... Maybe Google chrome has some kind of update to block it for users with certain settings? I know some of my chrome settings are controlled by my organisation. E.g. under the "Show home page" option the 'New Tab page' bit is greyed out and controlled by my administrator. Really quite annoying as the page I'm sent to, takes ages to load.
- (2021-01-14) Schneider Mariane: Hat mich heute mit der Malware makesure.biz beglückt! Diese streut bei google zu oben eigene Suchergebnisse ein. Runter mit dem MIST
- (2021-01-11) Sean Colombo: It does what it says! Would have been nice if they allowed this as an option in Chrome, but I doubt that's going to come back. This is very helpful to just set your new tab to any page you want!
- (2021-01-04) Tony C: This should be a default option in Chrome
- (2020-11-17) Sonke Wohler: I am surprised there aren't more like this. The only issue is that whatever page you choose obviously has to load before you can do stuff, so no matter what you do it will interrupt your workflow for a second if you use vimium. If you don't, you won't notice a difference, but if you do, I recommend setting the "Always update tab, not redirect. (Enable for cursor in the address bar)" setting and using a quick to load page like Google. beats having to switch to the mouse. Still five stars because my issue is not with the plugin, it's the page loading.
- (2020-11-13) benjamin aguilar: es muy lento en rendimiento estabilidad fluidez, falta que sea mas rápido y estable ya que al abrir el navegador carga lento muy lento ultra lento el extensión, espero que mejoren
- (2020-11-06) Daniel Peters: This is amazing. I hope you have a great life, I hope you get married, and have children, become a billionaire, and help those in need just like you helped me now. Love you so much. Thank you for this. This changed my life. My wife came back to me. I'm so happy.
- (2020-10-29) John Devor: Great! Works as expected.
- (2020-10-28) Magnus Beutner: Ugly
- (2020-09-13) julianna and lorelei 2: it really good to have stuff you love
- (2020-09-01) Alen Vlahović: Super !
- (2020-08-29) Byron Brower: Does exactly what I needed it to do. When I open a new tab it opens as my home page that I set.
- (2020-08-12) Egbert Christofer: i like now broke
- (2020-07-26) Konf: 1.52MiB (4MiB unpacked) for a new tab redirect functionality? Are you serious? Also, even with that task the extension coping worse and slower than analogue that takes 14 lines of code.
- (2020-07-23) Jim Yox: "Always update tab, not redirect" is working again in Chrome Version 84.0.4147.89 For a few previous versions it wasn't working which was a Chrome limitation and not a fault of the extension.
- (2020-07-22) Kubilay Anderson: Extensions like google spreadsheets and Documents dont work if you click their button, it says Request to the server have been blocked by an extension , only if you try the option below the icon.
- (2020-07-18) Alabama Mothman: trying to get the reinstated dnv in milbrook al
- (2020-07-18) Jun O Kim: Very Good.
- (2020-07-17) j k: This is amazing, avoids company enforced page for new tabs. Is there something similar for the home page and start up page?
- (2020-07-07) Slobodan Tabakovich: Active cursor feature is broken. So annoying.
- (2020-07-04) Cassian Lodge: When I open a new tab, the first thing I want to do is start typing the URL of the page I opened the new tab to get to. The cursor isn't in the address bar when I open a new tab, and if it was I'd need it to have the URL highlighted so I can overwrite it as easily as if the URL bar was empty like it is on the Chrome default new tab.
- (2020-06-29) R Goodthings: I've used this in the past on browsers and found it very helpful. Have recently been using the new Microsoft Edge Chrome Based Browser, which in many ways is the fastest and best browser I've used before. However, New Tabs on this browser is the only area you can't modify, it is locked into Microsoft MSN Search, which I don't like, because MSN Bing Search often shows images that I do not agree with, and I'd rather just use a different more private search - specifically Qwant . But when I installed this app, Microsoft's New Edge Browser automatically disables it (for obvious reasons), and claims it's being disabled for security and protection reasons. Going into extensions and turning it back on lets the app work. But, yah, that's pretty messed up of Microsoft being the only browser that claims, that by redirecting to our choice for opening a new tab, instead of their search engine, using this app is a security issue. Guess they want as many people using their Bing search engine as possible. Bing and Google are good for search, but Qwant has privacy enabled.
- (2020-06-26) Ryan Ybos: Very fast way to be in control of something as simple as a new tab just like in the olden days when you were actually in control of your browsers settings YEAH !
- (2020-04-16) Tommy Bonezoni: WebOasis in every new tab, what more can a guy ask for. Perfect extension! Thanks Jim!
- (2020-04-14) Vishal Sharma: Works precisely as mentioned. Problem solved since Chrome does not offer this in default behaviour. Cheers...!!
- (2020-04-08) Angel VARELA: Suffisant !
- (2020-04-03) Quanyue Ren: 小插件解决大问题。
- (2020-04-02) Monty Crabb: only one that rlly works
- (2020-02-18) Daniel Abromeit: Autofocussing the Omnibar (Adressbar) stopped working in Chrome 82.x
- (2020-02-14) Mac Gainor: thanks for building an awesome extension! simple and effective. is there anything I can do to focus the url input when I open a new tab? without the extension, if I open a new tab, I have the chrome's url input focused so that I can start typing a url. with the extension enabled, my custom page loads fine, but I have to click into the url input to focus before typing a url. that's the only con i've found - is there any way around that? thanks again for a great extension!
- (2020-02-06) Jonathan Ruzek: This extension works great in Chrome 80, though in Chrome Canary 82 the new tab address bar doesn't allow for input unless it's clicked on. Please release a fix, as this is a great extension!
- (2020-02-02) Steven Niedermeyer: I like this extension, but removing a star because there's no option to get rid of the white flash during the redirect. When running the Dark Reader extension, it results in getting blasted each time you open a new tab. I found the following to be much easier on the eyes. Even if it doesn't support a custom page, it gives me what I'm looking for (a simple new tab with focus on search bar and black fading to dark grey with not white flashing content). https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dark-new-tab/mnjmegebbljjhpljjfjmkhgmokpmdbpo Would switched back to this extension if it supported dark themes as well.
- (2020-01-04) cb iv4: No idea why this isn't 5 stars! Thirty years developing software and wish I could send you money. This fixed an ongoing annoyance of mine with chrome. It's simple and just works. THANK YOU!
- (2019-12-20) Csaba Kelemen: Nehéz beállítani, de használható.
- (2019-12-08) Keith Confidentiality: Works perfectly and easily. Thank you !!!!
- (2019-11-14) Sepehr Lajevardi: I really appreciate the cursor remaining in the address bar. However, the white flash is really annoying when using a dark theme in the night.
- (2019-10-25) Dypsis: I have noticed a small problem with it recently. I can't get it to focus on the new tab page. It focuses on the Address Bar no matter what setting I use. I use Google as my new tab page, but It always focuses on the Address Bar instead of the Google search field.
- (2019-10-25) Zhitfräm Zhinolŭ: Perfectly simple. I just wanted the new tab to open my preferred search engine; this extension accomplished that. And if you're looking for a DARK THEMED search, check out the customization available with Startpage.
- (2019-10-20) Koto Blokong: im lucky dude!!!!!!!
- (2019-10-19) Dani Laur B: In latest chanary build vers.80 not work search to stop the URL bar from showing Google searches instead of actual websites !!! please fix !!!
- (2019-10-19) Ziella Seblast: Dis gonna be good!
- (2019-10-04) Does what it says so 5 stars.
- (2019-09-08) Maciej Łukasz Drzazga: Przydatne :)
- (2019-08-27) אביב משולם: stopped working google chrome latest version
- (2013-10-18, v:2.0) Sergio Castillo: How it make it work
I do not how to make it work. Could somebody explain me in plain English
- (2013-10-17, v:2.0) A. Murat Eren: select all
when a new tab opens, I would like to start typing the address I'd like to go. if Tab Direct "selects all" the content of address bar, I wouldn't have to do it myself every time. Now: Ctrl+T (new tab opens) Ctrl+A (select the address) start typing. What I want: Ctrl+T (new tab opens) start typing. Thanks,
- (2013-10-16, v:2.0) Kioomars Faraji Amiri: n
- (2013-09-23, v:2.0) Mark Francis Stramaglia: bookmark to the original new tab page
is it possible to save a bookmark to the original new tab page, like the "apps" button in seetings? I tried making a bookmark to "chrome:newtab" but that also gets redirected.
- (2013-09-22, v:2.0) Shad Haque: Suprised by Google standards
Dear Jim, New Tab Redirect is confusing. There are about 10 comments related to this issue. Are you responsible for this or anyone in your department? Thank you. Shad
- (2013-09-17, v:2.0) Privacy?
Does New Tab Redirect collect any personal information, browsing history, etc? Thanks.
- (2013-09-14, v:2.0) Privacy?
Does New Tab Redirect collect any personal information, browsing history, etc? Thanks.
- (2013-08-29, v:2.0) Quentin Christie: this is shit
this is useless , can you block me
- (2013-06-12, v:2.0) Magda Polkowska: new tab
chcę stare google natychmiast
- (2013-05-24, v:2.0) reubyn mcnaught: i dose not work
i set the defult to googel but when i open a new tab it gomes up at the top "redirecting" and never loads plus 2 other tabs come up "vgraber that i did not put there and some other bad tabs pleas feedback [email protected]