Redesigned new tab page featuring your bookmarks, apps, most visited, and recently closed in a custom layout.
Features: • Simple, clean design • Highly customizable • Fast loading and lightweight This extension replaces the default new tab page. Drag and drop folders to create new columns or reorder them. The font, colors, spacing, and more can be customized from the options menu. The source code is available under the MIT license github.com/ibillingsley/HumbleNewTabPage Changelog: Version 1.26 - July 2, 2023 • Added font-weight option • Replaced Apps folder with a link to chrome://apps Version 1.25 - March 11, 2023 • Manifest V3 • Update favicon Version 1.24 - February 10, 2019 • Removed weather feature • Improved keyboard navigation • Fixed bug opening options Version 1.23 - December 2, 2018 • Added tooltips for truncated text • Added option to remember open folders Version 1.21 - November 20, 2016 • Added HiDPI icons • Fixed export settings not selectable Version 1.20 - June 1, 2016 • Added import/export settings • Fixed recently closed max items Version 1.19 - April 14, 2016 • Fixed weather not updating Version 1.18 - April 3, 2016 • Removed geolocation • Fixed weather error Version 1.17 - January 24, 2016 • Fixed weather error Version 1.16 - August 29, 2014 • Added other devices folder • Recently closed tabs preserve history • Removed background process • Chrome version 37 or later required Version 1.15 - July 6, 2014 • Fixed freezing issues Version 1.14 - May 11, 2014 • Reduced memory usage • Added option to set number of items for recently closed, recent bookmarks, and most visited • Added option for background image size • Added link to bookmark manager in folder context menu Version 1.12 - August 18, 2013 • Reorder apps via drag and drop Version 1.11 - August 3, 2013 • Fixed launching packaged apps (Google Keep) • Fixed launching file:/// and chrome:// URLs • Fixed Mobile Bookmarks folder not being removable • Disable weather if geolocation is denied • Default layout changed to 2 columns • Uninstall apps from the context menu • Hide Google Wallet Service from apps Version 1.9 - December 30, 2012 • Uses geolocation for weather by default • Fixed bug with drag and drop • Added Chrome Web Store to apps Version 1.8 - November 9, 2012 • Redesigned options panel • Added several new settings • Performance tweaks • Source code released under the MIT license Version 1.7 - September 8, 2012 • Added custom CSS field for advanced users • Added option to hide Bookmarks bar and Other bookmarks Version 1.6 - August 30, 2012 • Added option to open links in new tabs • Support local file for background image • Weather errors fixed Version 1.5 - August 29, 2012 • Weather forecast now uses Yahoo • System font list enabled on supported versions Version 1.4 - August 10, 2012 • Added option to disable the weather and other special folders • Minor bug fixes Version 1.3 - August 9, 2012 • Fixed error on old Chrome versions Version 1.2 - August 8, 2012 • Added apps, most visited, recently closed, and weather • More flexible layout with unlimited columns • Open all links in folder from context menu • Color themes and new default style • Added smooth animation and highlight shadow • Drag and drop to reorder folders and columns • Background image support • Bug fixes • New name (formerly New Tab + Bookmark Tree) Version 1.1 - July 20, 2011 • Added options menu Version 1.0 - July 17, 2011 • Initial release
- (2023-09-20) K F: This is a great app, however recently have had a problem. Using Microsoft Edge and recently the "deleted favorites" folder keeps getting checked as visible. I uncheck it and it reappears as checked a short time later.
- (2023-09-11) Carmelo Rigatuso: Awesome work. Very simple and easy to use. Really helped me visualize and clean-up all my bookmarks. I'd love to be able to change the background colour or font size/colour for the folder names. This will make it easier to use them as column/section headers.
- (2023-08-15) Sara Tong: Been using it for years and just can't live with it (esp how it enables me to see tabs opened on other devices). Would be great if weather & rss capabilities can be considered in upcoming updates.
- (2023-07-26) Lukáš Uher: The best New tab Page ever! Lightweight, minimalist, but with ability to show almost everything I want and huge flexibility of customization.
- (2023-05-10) Luis Miguel Gonçalves Lage: Awesome, but can we have dark mode?
- (2023-05-02) Don Arsenault: Humble New Tab Page is perfect. All my bookmarks displayed so FAST and conveniently, plus a few extras like Recent Bookmarks and Recently Closed tabs. Just need to scroll to get to any bookmark. I love how I can move a folder of bookmarks to a separate column! Combine with Holmes for searching bookmarks in the Omnibox on the new tag page. The stock Chrome New Tab page had been annoying me for a long time; it's slow search box starts with a white background then corrects to the black background. Went searching for something better.
- (2023-04-28) Hammad Farooq: Thanks soo much for developing this!!! It is super fast to load and has all the features I need.
- (2023-04-04) Pavel Klinecký: Simple, fully functional, aesthetically pleasing, allows you to see all your bookmarks or folders on one desktop. Excellent work!
- (2023-03-31) d.rw1nig324 (Darwin): Hello, I want the chrome extension back because it's now updated to 105 or more for chrome version which I cannot update it because of It's expired which I'm using an Chromebook which is dead. I have to get a new device but the extension is still good but I miss it so much because I hate when you can no longer use it because you have to update it. Is there an github with all the versions?
- (2023-03-17) 拿巴巴（Mac）: The default favicon of the latest version has turned white, can it be fixed?
- (2023-02-12) Max M: Fantastic, everything I would want from a new tab page with all of the horrible bloat on Edge's default new tab page. Bonus points for the extremely easy colour customization - it would be almost expected for this not to be included, but the fact that I can easily match it to the theme colour of my browser makes it feel even more professionally-made than Microsoft's own.
- (2023-02-06) Laìcurè Levìarè: I just can't use Chromium browsers without this!
- (2023-01-21) Joao Granja: The best. Very Simple and effective, everything I need. Many Thanks.
- (2022-12-21) Mitchell McClure: Still Loving IT!!!! Screenshot: https://statusportal.net/images/NewTab.png
- (2022-12-09) Vraja D: Recent issue maybe to do with new Chrome update on linux, only loading maybe half the links at first, then with a little moving up and down the page the rest show up.
- (2022-12-04) Changwen Zhou: great! but when i click the link in "recent close tab", the link open in a new window of chrome rather than in current tab or new tab of current window.
- (2022-11-14) Ben Shirley: I love this app and have been using it forever. I've never found anything better, simple, and so useful. The ability to show lots of links in lists organized by bookmark, other device, recent, is just so genius.
- (2022-10-13) Aaron (Leafy): It's a great, versatile, and fairly functional extension once you warmup to it. I highly recommend giving it a go for a week or two to see if the 'basic aesthetics' of it work for you.
- (2022-09-21) Greg Mawson: Simple, lightweight, works as advertised. Been using this for years.
- (2022-09-11) ҈: Не хватает строки поиска по закладкам.
- (2022-09-08) Kate Lee Dalilis: Great for work. Simple. Easy. Organize. Better than Quick Dial extension out there.
- (2022-08-21) Cristian Viorel Pasat: It's awesome!
- (2022-08-16) Bryan Field: Finally a way to hide Google Doodle but keep the bookmark bar; well at least the next best thing to a bookmark bar
- (2022-07-16) Lucien Hong: perfect, clean and effective.
- (2022-06-09) Winter Silence: The extension is perfect but id does something that in Vivaldi browser it breaks urls vivaldi://bookmarks and vivaldi://history. Those pages simply cease to work while this extension is enabled :(
- (2022-05-10) Rida Kangolex: Great! thanx for the extension.
- (2022-04-29) Treya: Minimalist with low footprint and highly customizable, showing everything I need on a regular basis. Had this installed for years and would keep using it but it has slowly but steady been loosing entries in the 'Apps' folder. All the Apps are still there and accessible through the native 'Show apps' button and un- then reinstalling didn't fix it. Last update was in 2019 so I guess I'll have to move on.
- (2022-03-30) Dorian: Have been using this for so long I just take it as the default browser experience. Only when I see the horrible default new tab of Chrome do I realize how good this extension is.
- (2022-03-10) Martin Brown: A great new tab page. Never had a problem with it.
- (2022-02-09) Jerry Chen: A simple new tab.
- (2022-02-08) Krister Eklund: This extension is exactly what I searched for.
- (2022-01-19) Shel Stone: Very elegant extension Very beautiful and simple for use. thank you so much
- (2021-10-27) Divyansh Pandit: Simple and non intrusive, just like I wanted Thanks! P.S. by any chance can you provide the option for changing the favicon on the new tab page; your white logo is not helping
- (2021-08-29) Wing Ching Fan: You are amazing. This is so beautifully crafted. Thank you so much for helping us peasants with your skills and expertise.
- (2021-07-27) Prabhjot Singh: Please add a clock to make it much more useful
- (2021-07-11) Scott Zhang: Clean, fast and poweful. Cannot love it more!
- (2021-06-07) Maor Conforti: Excellent extension. I've been using it for two years now. Can't live without it. Highly recommended. Hard to believe that this useful functionality is not the standard behavior for new tabs in all browsers.
- (2021-05-31) Hyunjong Park: This should be the default tab page of chrome, not an extension. A must for chrome users.
- (2021-05-26) Anshuman Panda: Is there a dark mode? I keep it enabled all the time. If not I will have to look into some alternative. Thanks. Edit: Nevermind. Got it. Happy with the extension.
- (2021-05-26) Johny Black: Одно из лучших расширений для браузера. Для меня однозначный must have! Всем рекомендую!
- (2021-05-14) ShadowShok: E' quasi quello che cercavo. Sfortunatamente chrome non ha la stessa pagina iniziale di firefox e mi serviva una soluzione che non fosse piena di tracciamento o cose inutili e questa sembra l'estenzione perfetta.
- (2021-05-12) Mesut Yılmaz: Verry cool and productive extension. It's a must to have. Simple & Efficient.
- (2021-03-28) joydn: Great extension, 5 stars without question. Would be great if you consider adding chrome new 'read later' list feature support
- (2021-03-05) Юр.отдел: За всю историю Хрома ничего лучше еще не придумали. Все гениальное просто.
- (2021-03-04) Matthew H: This extension is amazing!! Everything you need (even things you didn't know you needed) and no BS. It gives instant access to any bookmarks folder, most visited sites, recently bookmarked sites, and recently closed tabs.
- (2021-01-30) Shailesh Sundram: I have been using this extension for a very long time. There has been no crash as of yet and it works as it is intended to. There are myriads of options from changing font to using custom CSS. The best feature in my opinion is to change the background image to an image of one's choice. Overall, a great extension.
- (2021-01-28) Lahiru Madushan: good
- (2020-12-03) Adham Zahran: I just wanted a black page. Did the job. Thanks.
- (2020-11-24) Philippe Dev: Excellente extension, très simple et fonctionnelle, tout à fait ce dont j'avais besoin pour afficher mes bookmarks dans la page d'accueil.
- (2023-09-20, v:1.26) K F: Deleted favorites folder
This is a great app, however recently have had a problem. Using Microsoft Edge and recently the "deleted favorites" folder keeps getting checked as visible. I uncheck it and it reappears as checked a short time later.
- (2023-07-01, v:1.25) burkle bk: Chrome is blocking this extension
mfgdmpfihlmdekaclngibpjhdebndhdj ist gesperrt Diese Seite wurde von Chrome blockiert ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT
- (2023-04-20, v:1.25) Evie Hartman: Dark Mode
This badly needs a dark mode.
- (2022-12-23, v:1.24) Tema Tema: context menu
add the ability to change the context menu along with bookmarks - font, color
- (2022-11-14, v:1.24) Ben Shirley: Can't put a bookmark folder back in the bookmarks bar folder.
Help! I accidentally moved one of my bookmark folder outside of the bookmarks bar folder and now I can't put it back. I've tried moving it within chrome bookmarks interface, but humble new tab page no longer seem to track those changes for that folder. Thanks!
- (2022-10-13, v:1.24) Aaron (Leafy): Issue with 'Apps' folder
Hey guys and gals! 👋 Is there a way to add google chrome apps (eg: google photos, google sheets) to the 'apps' folder? I can't figure how to do it 🤔
- (2022-09-11, v:1.24) ҈: Search Bar
It would be great to add a bookmark search bar.
- (2022-05-07, v:1.24) James Davis: Horizontal
Any way to make the bookmarks bar items appear horizontally and to wrap to the next line instead of the vertical default that scrolls off the bottom of the screen? If not, please consider adding that feature..
- (2022-04-23, v:1.24) Nate McD: GMail no longer showing with other apps
the app section has dropped several google features, notably the gmail app.
- (2022-04-19, v:1.24) K F: Zoom level
Its a great app. The only issue I have, on Edge, is the zoom level of the new tab page is constantly changing. Can you lock the zoom level to 100%?. This usually happens when I close a tab. As Edge takes me back to your new tab page, sometimes the zoom level jumps up on your page. I then need to do a reset to 100%.
- (2022-03-08, v:1.24) Jen Hill: Desktop shortcut to new tab page?
My organization manages our browser and forces Chrome to our intranet when opening. It's image-heavy, slow and cluttered with irrelevant content. I don't have a rights level to turn it off. Is there a way to create a desktop shortcut to the Humble new tab page?
- (2022-02-16, v:1.24) Samuel Cohen: How do I get Humble New Tab Page to show in Incognito?
How do I get Humble New Tab Page to show in Incognito? Is this possible? Thanks!
- (2021-11-18, v:1.24) Shawn: Search
Please add option to have search added to page
- (2021-09-14, v:1.24) Bára W.: Other Devices
Hello, I just got a new PC and I found my fav extension can't access "Other Devices" anymore :( It still works pefectly fine on my laptop. The only real difference is laptop=win7, PC=win10. Do I need to allow access somewhere in Windows settings? Or why does it not work?
- (2021-07-07, v:1.24) Pavel Formánek: Feature Request
I have a request: Would it be possible to make for users possible to change the name of a new tab? (localization, etc.) I tried to change <title> in newtab.html but unfortunately the extension deactivates itself and has to be reinstalled (Chrome security?). Thanks for advance. Oh and great app - using for years :)
- (2021-05-14, v:1.24) Lbscribe: How do I enable the extension on Chrome?
When I go to the new tab part of setting, I don't know how to enable. Where can I find instructions on how to enable the Humble app?
- (2021-05-14, v:1.24) L W: How do I activate this app on a chromebook?
It's impossible that I'm the only person who cannot activate this app on a chromebook. I use Vivaldi browser, version 3.8.2259.42 (Stable channel) (64-bit). Can you help me activate this extension on Vivaldi Chromebook? Thanks!
- (2021-04-10, v:1.24) Matthew H: Some chrome apps links not working
Hello, On the new tab page under "apps", I can't open the docs, sheets, or slides. These are the only extensions I have under "chrome apps" in chrome://extensions/. I get these errors Docs: aohghmighlieiainnegkcijnfilokake is blocked Requests to the server have been blocked by an extension. Try disabling your extensions. ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT Sheets: felcaaldnbdncclmgdcncolpebgiejap is blocked Requests to the server have been blocked by an extension. Try disabling your extensions. ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT Slides: aapocclcgogkmnckokdopfmhonfmgoek is blocked Requests to the server have been blocked by an extension. Try disabling your extensions. ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT The humble new tab page and those chrome apps are the only extensions I have enabled. If I right click those apps in the humble tab and click "open in new tab", it works fine. Thanks for the great extension btw.
- (2020-11-16, v:1.24) Rohit Lodhia: CSS settings are being reset after restart of the browser.
It seems that recently when the browser is restarted the CSS settings get reset to a "default" format instead of the customized settings I had set previously. I have a workaround to re-paste in my CSS settings in the custom section but this is just a workaround. Somehow the settings are no longer saving from session to session.
- (2020-11-13, v:1.24) Mitchell McClure: font shading
add "drop shadow" to the appearance of bookmark text? this would add some contrast when a background is in use...
- (2020-11-13, v:1.24) Mitchell McClure: font shading
is there a way to add "drop shadow" to the appearance? this would add some contrast when a background is in use...
- (2020-10-13, v:1.24) Andrew: Feature Suggestion
Adding Recently Downloaded File List?
- (2020-06-11, v:1.24) Laura Marie: More column options
Thanks a lot for this extension, it's great! I just have one problem: I would like to have my bookmarks (whichs are saved in one folder within my bookmarks) to be displayed in two or more columns so that I don't have to scroll down to see all my bookmarks. How can I realize this? I don't know anything about json so I can't write the code myself.
- (2020-04-28, v:1.24) Brandon Lockaby: Updated chrome, can no longer choose from all folders
I noticed that I was somehow on Chrome 70 something so I updated by getting a .deb from Google. My humble new tab is blank, the reason being that not all of my folders are shown as selectable options. I had been using a custom folder named "new tab." Now, I can only choose from Apps, Bookmarks Bar, Other Bookmarks, and Mobile Bookmarks. The folder exists, is there a way to get the extension to see it?
- (2020-03-09, v:1.24) Paul Ellsworth: Extension security
Given recent news, I'm wondering if anyone has done a "code hardening" review of the code so that non-author malign actor's can't target this extension to cause problems?
- (2019-10-22, v:1.24) Burton Gamble: New (small/easy) features?
It would be super awesome if you could set the color/spacing/font/size (etc) of folders independently of the contents/links/bookmarks inside of the folders. =)
- (2019-10-13, v:1.24) Scott Smith: Hide bookmarks
Can you add an option to show/hide the bookmarks panel? I don't ever use that, but do like the frequent, recents, etc. What I would rather have is a "speed dial" panel of perhaps 9 items in a 3x3 grid. Or even just a list of links, as the frequent/recent lists often don't contain the site I want (ie, perhaps an infrequently used but important link.) Also, a search bookmarks (even if the panel isn't shown) would be useful, but I think low priority.
- (2019-08-31, v:1.24) K in KOP: Search function
This extension would be perfect if it included a way to search bookmarks. Maybe there is way and I just haven't noticed it? A search function seems absolutely essential in a bookmarks manager. I don't understand why there isn't one here. Thank you.
- (2019-07-12, v:1.24) Matthew Thurgood: Windows 10 Pro X64 1903 OS Build 18362.239 - drag and drop + context menus broken
Hi Thanks for the brilliant extension. I've come across an issue that I thought I should bring to your attention: I recently updated Windows 10 Pro to 1903 and I can no longer drag/drop folders to create new columns or reorder existing ones in Chrome 75.0.3770.100 (latest official build). Also, the right-click context menu only displays two options: Open all links in folder Edit bookmarks I'd be very grateful for any suggestions regarding this issue. Thanks for your support. All the best Matt
- (2019-05-23, v:1.24) Greg M: Wallpaper
Thank you very much for this extension. Would it be possible to add the option of loading a new tab wallpaper from either a local folder or web service like Unsplash or Bing Daily Wallpapers with the ability to nominate the frequency with which the wallpaper is replaced as well.
- (2019-02-02, v:1.23) Aidan Joyce: Cannot create a 2nd Column
Either I don't know how to do it. (thought I could right click on page and create a new column) When I do, all I see is "open all links in folder" and "edit bookmarks" I am using Mac OS Mojave. Please let me know if I am doing something wrong or its a little bug. Lovely app keep up the super work.
- (2019-01-25, v:1.23) Will L.: Expand/Collapse Arrow Color
Hello, I love this extension (so fast!) and I've been using it for years now, but there's one visual customization I'd like to see added: the ability to set the color of the arrows/triangles you click to expand/collapse folders. Other useful customizations for these might be scale, replace with characters (one character represents open, one represents closed e.g. +/- means expand/collapse), or even just use images (maybe not, that doesn't seem super useful, but maybe a few default shapes to choose from). Anyways even the minimum color customization would be greatly appreciated as I have a dark background that makes the arrows difficult to see. Thanks for the extension, Will
- (2019-01-11, v:1.23) PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE
FIX THE ISSUE WITH THE WEATHER NOT SHOWING ON YOUR EXTENSION.
- (2019-01-08, v:1.23) WEATHER FIX NEEDED ASAP
Weather has stopped here for over a week now. Please fix asap. Thanks from Ontario, OR, USA
- (2019-01-07, v:1.23) Ondrej Hnatko: Weather doesn't work
'Error loading weather' is says. Location is same as I was using for a long time. It stopped showing it like 2 weeks ago.