Restore the previous new tab page for Chrome 33+.
Don't like the new "New Tab" page with the Google logo and search bar since Chrome 33? Install this extension to get the previous "New Tab" page back! Please read the troubleshooting section below if this extension does not load. New features: - Fix blank most visited page in Chrome 60. - Add an option to hide the footer bar. - Recently closed tabs and other device pages are available in Chrome 37. You can enable this feature in the options page of this extension. - Dragging a link into the apps page will generate an app as a bookmark. - Change the app launch type when right clicking an app. - Create app shortcuts in the right-click menu of an app. - Change the number of most visited thumbnails and apps in the options page. - Remove apps by dragging the app to the trash bin at the lower right corner. I added a lot of these new features in the Chrome browser in the past months. They are available starting from Chrome 37. There are a lot of limitations now due to Google's new design. It's impossible to get some features back, such as the top right "sign in" feature in the old new tab page. Troubleshooting This extension only works when Google is the default search engine. Try to disable other new tab page related apps if this one does not load. If this extension doesn't load in Chrome 61, try the following steps (workarounds): - Open Chrome settings and change the search engine from Google to Bing. - Open a new tab page to see Bing's home page. - Change the search engine back to Google. - Open a new tab page and this extension will load correctly. (For Chrome version under 36) Try to go to settings -> Show advanced settings... -> Enable "Use a prediction service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the address bar". Fixed: Fix showing the most visited page in Chrome 48+. Work around service worker bug in Chrome 46. Fix "keep loading" bug (the refresh button always shows X). Fix opening recent links for Chrome 43+. Fix compatibility issues with Chrome 40+ and fix blank pages sometimes. Close the current tab after launching app. Add features selection in the options page. Add "Show Webstore" and "Apps per Row" options. Show web store in apps page. Enable "view in webstore" if the homepage link exists. Avoid getting cached app icons. Add apps ordering and paging support. Prevent from the most visited borders becoming black when navigating. Use the default font on Mac and Linux. Add troubleshooting section in the options page. Fix bookmark app icon size and dominant color. Fix support to remove apps in Chrome 34. Load this extension earlier to avoid showing the search bar. Auto update recently closed pages. Correct recently closed menu behavior. Add an options page to customize tiles per row and number of tiles of the most visited pages. Fix theme support with background color, tiling, attribution and position. Fix bug in chrome browser extension api that crashes the whole browser when getting other device pages: https://codereview.chromium.org/186343003/. Now support 52 languages. Add support for chrome browser running in different countries. Fully working auto-refresh when theme changes. Fully working to remove, undo and restore all the most visited pages. Fix bug that causes the grid empty. Be able to navigate to file:/// urls. (Note that the original "New Tab" page in Chrome 33 can not do this either.) Fix most visited pages disappear when resize the window. Permissions Concerns: This extension captures and overrides data ONLY on https://www.google.*/_/chrome/*, which is the "New Tab" page. It means this extension does NOT have access to what you are searching or doing on google websites. Source Code & Report Issues: New BSD license https://github.com/wjywbs/chrome-newtab-reloaded Credits: Icons from New Tab Redirect RGBaster from Brian Gonzalez moment.js bootstrap.css Legal: Google Chrome and the Google Chrome logo are registered trademarks of Google, Inc.
- (2021-02-11) Andy Esch: doesn't work! tips to fix don't do anything, waste of my time!
- (2020-12-28) sully: doesnt work :/
- (2020-12-06) Feltric Fence: I'm sure it's excellent, but it only works if your default search engine is Google, which is very weird and inconvenient.
- (2020-02-18) Arya Wisnubuana: good
- (2019-10-20) Scratchy Nougat: The old new tab did not work. Chromium Version: 63.0.3235.0
- (2019-07-02) Oliver Relph-Evans: Does not work. New tab page stayed exactly the same.
- (2019-04-29) sateesh mishra: nice
- (2018-09-11) Wermbie: EEEEEEEE! X3 Thank you so much for this awesome extension. I was trying so hard to find an extension that made my thumbnails and stuff disappear so I could look at my background and I love it.
- (2018-08-21) Isai Alcântara: Does not work.
- (2018-06-03) James Leung: Doesn't work. Tried fix. Still doesn't work.
- (2018-05-30) Marcin Krupecki: Doesn't work properly
- (2018-05-15) Kat: Totally my favorite extension to remove most visited and everything else I consider bothersome on the new tab default page, but it sadly stopped working for me. Would LOVE it if it could work again like it used to without google's updates interfering, or whatever that's causing it to stop...
- (2018-05-12) Animalfox: Не работает
- (2018-05-02) Gian Carlo: Not working on Chrome 65+, the tips for fix showed here doesn't fix this.
- (2018-03-20) Jason Lane: It worked once and once the chrome was reloaded it never worked again
- (2018-03-04) Elle Solomina: not working
- (2017-10-29) Bovin Lee Phann: Doesn't work, even with the "fix".
- (2017-10-16) Amir Tal: finally, the old "new tab" page is back. this covers the 'extended' version as well, use settings page to show "apps", "recently closed tabs" and "other device pages" edit: sadly, stopped working since chrome 61..
- (2017-10-14) Дмитрий Клюев: не работает
- (2017-10-10) Miano: Search Encrypt sucks but hope this one changes it
- (2017-10-09) Vasya Pupkin: Sometimes works, sometimes not. Why does it depend on chosen search engine is a mystery. There were always problems with this extension because of it. Update: Stopped working completely in Chrome 61.
- (2017-10-02) C3PU: works in my chromebook but not on my windows pc very weird
- (2017-09-29) R. May: Won't get rid of most visited on new tab page. I think some recent update to google has disabled all the apps that do this. Why???
- (2017-09-27) Ryan Clayton: Suddenly stopped working on multiple PCs. Followed the steps below and it worked once. All subsequent tabs are default, not New Tab Reloaded. Steps to fix this extension in Chrome 61+: 1. Open Chrome settings and change the search engine from Google to Bing. 2. Open a new tab page to see Bing's home page. 3. Change the search engine back to Google. 4. Open a new tab page and this extension will load correctly.
- (2017-09-27) Владимир Гусев: 2014. То, что нужно! ) 2015. Зачем добавили логи и поиск гугл?!! Я, например, от него едва избавился благодаря этому приложению!!! 2017. 4 years on board! Thanks a lot!
- (2017-09-26) Bryan Chen: Not working after today... =(
- (2017-09-20) Wim Van Hoeymissen: it did not hide the most visited tiles.
- (2017-09-17) Christopher Dobson: RIP. Switching search engine fix doesn't work. Tested on different computers running same version.
- (2017-09-09) VJ: Works after upgrading to the latest version. However the deletion of thumbnails after 8 does not work.
- (2020-04-09, v:0.1.12) denis jutkowiak: compte webmail bloqué
me reconnecter boite mail
- (2019-02-13, v:0.1.12) new tab reloaded
it does not work
- (2018-09-09, v:0.1.12) Jy W: This was the change in chrome that disabled this extension.
The first link below disabled changing the new tab page with this extension. https://codereview.chromium.org/2978953002/ https://stackoverflow.com/questions/38948958/does-content-script-have-access-to-newtab-page
- (2018-08-18, v:0.1.12) Wynette Caspersz: I would like to have my old Google search and apps please. Also how do I restore it?
My problem is that I would like to have my old search and apps back. I am confused with the current one. Please restore.
- (2018-06-03, v:0.1.12) hiba
el szürkült a kiegészítő.
- (2018-04-11, v:0.1.12) Shelby Bearrows: bookmarks bar
Is there a way to remove this?
- (2018-04-02, v:0.1.12) Cameron Lee: Easier way for default app page on new tab
Download "New Tab Redirect" from chrome web store, right click extension in top right corner, goto options and change URL to chrome://apps/ Fixed
- (2018-03-22, v:0.1.12) Jens Johansson: Working off and on..
Version 64.0.3282.186 (Official Build) (64-bit) SOmetimes it just starts working again for a little while. Then back to not working (usually)
- (2018-03-14, v:0.1.12) Support broken in Chrome (again)
The extension doesn't work again! Disabling it until it is repaired.
- (2018-03-06, v:0.1.12) Josh Dague: Does not work in Chrome 64
Does not appear to work in Chrome 64. Tried switching to Bing & back with no success.
- (2018-02-28, v:0.1.12) Thumbnail tiles
Hi, I really would like my tiles back. Now they flash on the screen briefly and then disappear. Before I could just click on them and get to where I was. I went to webhack and got a "fix" but it didn't work. Please advise. Thanks.