Only allows sound from whitelisted sites.
Version 1.1: Please send comments, bug reports to [email protected] See new features below description. Sick and tired of sites that make noise without your permission? Silent Site Sound Blocker maintains a white list of sites that only you allow to play audio. If a site is not on your list and tries to play sound, you'll get a prompt which gives you the option of whitelisting it forever, allowing the sound once or rejecting it. You can also configure Silent Site to work on a blacklist only model which bans only those sites you designate. Right click the toolbar icon to change modes or instantly blacklist / white list a site. Select "Options" to edit your white and black lists. Note: You must have Tab audio muting enabled in the Chrome://flags menu. However, for most users this is enabled by default. Changes for version 1.1: * To fix a bug with Google sites such as Gmail, the whitelist / blacklist lists whole domains (ex: google.com), and not subdomains (ex: gmail.google.com) any more. This solves a problem where certain web tools loaded content from multiple subdomains and were not properly listed. For example, gmail.google.com did not stay whitelisted because the site loads from notifications.google.com in the background. * Bug fix for pinned sites: If you configure the extension to whitelist all pinned tabs, the pinned tabs will now remain whitelisted even as you move from one page to another. However, due to how Chrome captures events, if you have this option enabled, a tab will not unmute as soon as you right click on it and select "pin." It will instead unmute on the next site load or active tab change.
- (2019-10-21) J Ranger: GOOD Potential here! .... S U G G E S T I O N -- Maybe expand the blacklisting functionality beyond just entire Domains so that we can use this to mute specific super-repetitive Ads on Youtube, WITHOUT muting EVERY video from the Youtube domain by default?
- (2018-12-18) Blixtmen: Latest chrome update seem to have broken this addon (Tab audio muting in the Chrome://flags menu no longer exists)
- (2018-11-04) Владимир Унчиков: Отличная глушилка. Хотелось такую и для оперы.
- (2018-08-06) Ryan Flanagan: Exactly what I needed. Works perfectly. Thanks!
- (2018-07-20) Комар Сибирский: После установки расширения стало невозможно отключить автоматическое воспроизведение на ютуб. Эргономика всплывающего окна из 90-х годов 20 века. Но нахрена нужна такая ностальгия в хроме?
- (2018-04-17) Greg Feanix: It's just an awesome extension. I couldn't stand those noisy sites any more. You never ever gonna have to guess what tab is playing sounds on. Highly recommend to everyone.
- (2018-02-27) Chris Richling: Stopped working now that Chrome changed the label from "Mute Tab" to "Mute Site"
- (2018-02-18) Dan Burt: This feature should be built into Chrome. I love it!
- (2017-11-18) Hwa Chou: 在無禮的網路世界，可以讓人免於毫無選擇地被一些部落格、Youtube強迫推銷影片和聲音。
- (2017-11-09) That One Guy: Really helpful for sites that force audio through
- (2017-11-03) Mark Gorton: The solution to the unbelievably annoying ability of HTML being able to override your choice to silence your computer. I am still incredibly angry that a website can switch on my sound system, but at least this provide the solution. Ability to whitelist and blacklist is cool. Funny that the first site I used it on was CNET
- (2017-10-18) First time I have ever rated an extension. It's amazing! Got rid of so many annoying auto-play sounds! Thanks!
- (2017-10-17) Ajit Sutar: Love the extension. I wish there was such an extension for Firefox.
- (2017-10-08) Gene M: After the extension blockers for HTML 5 stopped working, I search for an alternative. Silent Site Sound Blocker has come up big. It works great. My one issue is that once you blacklist a site, its tough to actual allow a video to play. Like CBS News, which loves to autoplay everything. Sometimes I actually want to see the video. Maybe I just haven't spent the time to see if there is an easy way to allow once blacklisted, maybe there is !
- (2017-10-06) Nicolás Miranda: Sencilla y rapida.
- (2017-09-18) Mike Bradshaw: UI is ugly but who cares? Love it thanks!
- (2017-09-06) Ricardo Lucio: Hands down one of the best and most useful extensions ever. 5 stars!
- (2017-09-04) altoto toto: Works well
- (2017-08-15) Albert911emt -: Great extension. Works well, no problems at all. Five stars.
- (2017-07-31) Daniel Dostal: Unexpected sounds are one of the worst internet experiences. This plugin is a godsend. It isn't perfect, but its basic functionality is 5-star worthy.
- (2017-06-25) Pat Reynolds: Love this extension! If you're tired of being blasted by talking heads on news sites then install this RTF now. The one feature I feel it is missing is a "Allow One Time Only" option (on the extension menu - don't want a pop-up for this) when on a site that is already blacklisted - I begrudge the whole TWO extra clicks to re-blacklist a site if I've whitelisted it temporarily. Let's put that one firmly in the FWP category shall we?!
- (2017-06-21) J Naman: My PC is a PERSONAL computer, not the websites'. Thank you Sound Blocker for restoring my rights to my own property. Wish I could stop the video feed too: it eats bandwidth and can be distracting. Google: PLEASE give us back Disable Auto-start. I will manually Start things I want play, when I want to (e.g. after reading text content and ads, then maybe).
- (2017-06-08) Megan Scott: Just what I needed. Now I can leave my speakers on at work for notifications without fear of news sites auto-playing videos and annoying my co-workers. Thanks!
- (2017-06-04) Automatically white lists cnn.com. No way to block it.
- (2017-05-29) Denis Romanov: Saves a ton of nerves! Thanks author