TL;DR's Official extension, Allows the user to write and read TL;DRs on the internet
Save time by avoiding pesky clickbaits. TL;DR's Official extension, Allows the user to write and read TL;DRs in news websites A TL;DR is a short summery of the article. 1. When you read an article on the web an icon appears at the address bar, click on it to add a TL;DR to the article. 2. When you browse the front page of a news website, icons will appear next to some of the headlines, if you hover over one of these icons a popup will pop with the TL;DRs of that article. 3. ? 4. Profit!
- (2020-02-26) Anoyint: I love things where you can feel like you're contributing to a bigger cause! If this got some more traction, i could see it becoming very useful, since i still haven't found any sites where someone else has written a summary. Edit: after checking the example websites in the slideshow, I've found that I cannot find the summaries on any of those websites. Can someone send me a link of a website where they see a summary?
- (2018-05-06) Biz of Tech: Doesn't do anything 99% of the time. Its worthless
- (2017-06-01) Marco Syfrig: Good idea, was useful a few times on YouTube. But there’s also a problem on YouTube, because the focus is not entirely in the textfield or it is just a frame on the page or whatever. Because still all shortcuts that do not require the focus to be inside the video player (so arrow keys are not a problem but L, J, F, M etc. are) are still working. So while writing a TL;DR I mute the video accidentally, skip to the beginning, go forward 10 seconds and so on. That would be ok, just a little bit distracting but F sets the video to fullscreen which is really annoying. Have to write the text somewhere else and then paste it.
- (2017-05-16) Jeffrey Miller: I don't know how it works or even if it's working. Googled for help, nothing comes up that's helpful. No explanation about my tl;dr page. No icons show up by links on the NYTimes site, which of any news site, that's one that should be supported. How about explaining what the hell your extension does and how to use it?
- (2017-01-01) Man Mohan Singh: bloody awesome
- (2016-12-18) Anonymous: Great, slight problem though. Whenever I try to type out, spacebar doesn't work
- (2016-11-24) h c: more people need to use it
- (2016-11-15) Michael Robertson: Works great, hope it gets more popular so that more click-bait sites are covered.
- (2016-10-14) Thomas G: It's got some bugs to be worked out, but with a little polish, this will be amazing. I'm a proud volunteer in the battle against clickbait!
- (2016-10-06) Jacques Montierre: I an see this becoming very popular in the future.
- (2016-08-23) Andrew Staten: It breaks imgur, which is one of the places you advertised it. Click on a comment to see replies, new tab about blank. (if this doesn't happen in your testing, go down a convo tree and it will happen eventually) Click on a link to an image in the comments, instead of the normal popup showing the image larger, new tab about blank. It's a good idea, but it breaks at least one website.
- (2016-08-21) Crimson Cuttlefish: n i c e
- (2016-08-21) John Torus: This is the future happening right here.
- (2016-08-20) Christian: Really a great idea, potential to get huge
- (2016-07-03) Rasmus Buhl Kristensen: This could get huge, and destroy the will to make clickbait headlines
- (2016-06-14) Ninjamantis: i love the idea and really hope this gets big BUT if you really want to make it big add a re skin feature so that people can make it the orange soapstone sign from dark souls ;D
- (2016-06-13) Navot Volk: thanks man this is awesome
- (2018-04-25, v:2.1.4) tarek: weird js script
Hi, I had to remove the extension today as it added a weird js file from s3 aws, it basically called other js files from other domains. It tried to inject ads in my browser... hopefully adblock did its job. I discovered it while opening dev tools, it would try to inject an image and clear the console in a loop...
- (2017-05-16, v:2.1.4) Jeffrey Miller: How does this work?
So how the hell does this extension work? I don't see icons by links, I copy pasted an article into the drop down box but I don't think it did anything. I've googled for instructions, but I don't know what I'm supposed to be seeing or if it even works. Is it really too hard to provide some kind of how-to guide?
- (2017-02-10, v:2.1.4) Rainer De Temple: Which sites does it work best on?
I haven't found any websites that it uses yet. I've visited bbc news, new york times, news.com.au even buzzfeed, but I don't get the little icon next to any articles. How many people are actually using this?
- (2017-02-07, v:2.1.4) Rock Pulak: Report user for abuse?
I've noticed a number of users have posted misleading or downright useless page summaries, featuring editorialized or highly opinionated discourse in their tl;dr posts. Going to those user pages often reveals that these users are clearly not intending to post actual article summaries but rather use those summaries to misinform or more often grandstand. It would be helpful to have a feature allowing people to report users who have consistently posted this unhelpful "information"
- (2017-01-11, v:2.1.4) Chobit Gill: About privacy
Is this extension works by submit all the link of a page to server and compare data in server? Will the actual page being submit to your server?
- (2016-12-29, v:2.1.4) Oscar Biesanz: Viewing my own TL;DR;s
When I leave a TL;DR on a website or Youtube video, it allows me to enter all the information, and says "Thank you." afterwards, as usual, but if I access the video or website again, there is no sign of the miniature icon as displayed in the video.
- (2016-12-14, v:2.1.3) Alex Pressman: Only works on certain websites
The icon in the chrome toolbar is colored in and working most of the time. But on most facebook pages, including the homepage, as well as a number of other sites, it stays grayed out and doesnt work
- (2016-11-19, v:2.1.1) Scarecrow: Firefox extension?
Any plans for one?
- (2016-11-17, v:2.1.1) John Contreras: Text goes off-screen.
If it's possible, I'd like to see the text pop up to the left of the link if it would be going off the page to the right. This seems to happen on some webpages, that the text will be un-readable because most of it is off-screen.
- (2016-09-04, v:2.0.9) Oisín O'Keeffe: Remove a TL;DR
Is it possible to remove a TL;DR you have submitted?