PowerNotes is a productivity tool that allows you to gather, organize, and track internet research easily and efficiently.
PowerNotes helps researchers make the leap from research to writing. First, the browser extension gives you the fastest way to save passages from the web, PDFs, and other digital materials. When you save a passage, you will also organize it and take notes. All saving will be done without leaving the source, so you won't need to copy and paste anymore! Also, the organizational structure is up to you. PowerNotes gives you a flexible organizational framework so that you can make the framework more sophisticated over time. So when you are doing research, you won't just be saving content, you will be creating an annotated outline at the same time. Everything that you gather will be saved in the Cloud. Once you've gathered your research, you can view an outline of your research in our web app, where you can assess and reorganize it. We built an interface specifically designed for reorganization. You can just drag and drop your digital note cards, move them around with a simple menu (again, no more copy and pasting), and create blank note cards to incorporate your own thoughts. You can even turn your research outline into a writing outline so that you can more easily start that first draft. You can download your research into a MS Word or Google Doc, a spreadsheet, or RIS file. For more information, visit our blog at: https://www.powernotes.com/resources/blog
- (2022-11-10) Will H: A great idea with a lot of potential use, but it has some major bugs which alter basic browser usability in Chrome on Windows OS. Primarily, it can create quarrelsome interactions such as deselecting highlighted text in form fields (as one might to change/modify search terms in complex queries of academic databases). I found these bugs also prevent you from using search -- period -- on services such as Factiva. Due to these incompatibility issues with some essential services, I can't recommend this plugin. I've emailed the developer to let them know, and they were prompt to respond. Regardless, once these issues get ironed out -- especially the ones which break basic browser usability -- it'll definitely be an A+ service.
- (2022-08-15) Brett Peterson: Love PowerNotes, and use it daily. Working on a couple of book length works, and this has significantly streamlined my writing and research.
- (2022-08-12) Yarin Gaon: Love this extension! It made my research process super efficient and help me organize all of my materials.
- (2022-02-19) Ripon Saha: Great way to organize website notes.
- (2022-01-11) Keith Morrison: If you are an academic, student, instructor, or otherwise just a person who has lots of interests but a hard time keeping track of them then at least watch the full promo video so you see a waide range of the extension's functionality. I started using Power Notes last year and wrote a brief letter to the developers thanking them for the ease and utility this app has added into my day to day for work as a researcher and hobby as a writer. I have tried using Evernote and Pocket as well as other less well known notetaking apps but nothing was designed with anything close to the ease of use as Power Notes. This is especially true if you use the ext for professional or academic reasons given its built in citation generation, export tool, and organization optimizations. Really, get this tool.
- (2021-08-02) Mike Shipley: This checks so many boxes for what I've been looking for a long time. I do wish it had ipad/iphone apps for when I'm not at my desk but I can see how that would be a drastically different function from what the browser app does really well so the tradeoff for me is far worth it.
- (2021-06-27) Caroline M. COLE: When I first learned about PowerNotes, I used it to organize ideas and notes for my own projects to get a better feel for how the program worked. Shortly thereafter, I began introducing PowerNotes to my (college-level) writing students, encouraging them to use it for their class assignments. Each semester students comment on the program's intuitive, user-friendly interface, but my STEM students have consistently been the most enthusiastic users, saying that PowerNotes has made it much easier for them to gather information, organize ideas, identify and address gaps, and maintain cohesion (i.e., their papers still "flow"); most have said they plan to keep using the program in their other courses. My students may like the fact that PowerNotes simplifies and streamlines their work but, as a writing teacher, I have seen a pedagogical value. Most notable is the improvement in both my students' writing process and in the documents they ultimately submit. Saving time on tedious source documentation, students can focus attention on organizing and developing their ideas, share drafts with me and their peers quickly, and try out alternative structures with minimal repercussions. The result: more thoughtful, engaging arguments. An incredibly useful tool, in and beyond the classroom!
- (2021-03-26) I was blown away with some of the things that I could accomplish with PowerNotes. As a college student, it allowed me to keep all my sources in one place and made it simple to find certain articles or quote. On top of that, it is a tool I keep finding new uses for. For example I use it for creating flashcards and other study resources. Great tool!
- (2021-03-26) Drew Rossell: I love PowerNotes! Before I always lost notes, but now it is easy to keep my thoughts, citations, and quotes easily accessible and organized. I highly recommend this extension to anyone who writes a lot.
- (2021-03-24) Karen Bieber: Best organizing tool on the internet!! I'm addicted to PowerNotes!
- (2021-03-24) Kyle Zegarac: Super intuitive and actually quite useful.
- (2021-03-17) Jana Frank: Wow. really? 1 project? Jesus Christ, why can't you write in CAPS then that it's PAID. It's not a free plan it's a DEMO.
- (2021-01-18) Robbie de Groot: A thousand times better than tracking your sources with bookmarks!
- (2020-03-20) Caroline Eisele: The easiest and most efficient webclipping tool!
- (2019-11-11) Tausif Mulla: This extension is a life saver. I had to submit a case study as part of my research course work and I was able to do it in one week. This helped me a lot. The only caveat is the free version only has one project. I will give 5 stars if the developers increase t to at least 3 projects.
- (2019-05-08) Ning Cao: good
- (2019-03-08) Way way way more powerful, systematic, organized, and faster than Evernote and OneNote!
- (2018-12-22) Wye Hon: Fantastic tool in organising highlights and sites
- (2017-05-18) Kevin Eisele: Used it recently to plan my trip to Iceland and found it very helpful! I will definitely be using it again to plan my future trips
- (2017-03-10) Great tool. Has really helped me in my research project, helps me keep organized. Would recommend.