Automatically mutes tabs based on their url using a black list or a white list, and several other useful muting controls
- (2021-06-04) Francisco Neto: doesn't work anymore
- (2021-05-18) Warmuser: Works, almost every adult website now is silenced! Yeep
- (2021-04-07) William Tael: Just what Edge needs. Now Microsoft Edge is usable!
- (2019-06-05) Andrew Trimble: Awesome extension - works great, is lightweight and stays out of the way!
- (2019-02-14) Paul D: Seems to have broken recently. Clicking the icon in the tab doesn't work to unmute anymore. You can right click in the window and select "unmute" but it would be nice if the developer would fix.
- (2019-02-12) Jacob Havinga: It was okay ... Until the latest version of Chrome disabled something. On first run you have to "Approve Permissions" but the button does not do anything anymore ... So the extensions never run's or do anything ... On the Extensions page -> Details it says "This extension requires no special permissions" Maybe Google changed some of the programming api for Chrome extensions ???
- (2018-06-27) rafael hernandez: Great extension for muting noisy web pages while playing music (e.g., on spotify)
- (2018-06-17) Вячеслав Вербович: То, что искал!!!
- (2018-05-23) Darrel Eddings: Perfect. Thank you. You will need to restart chrome to have the extension activate
- (2018-02-10) OddHS: I looked at others, but they all came with lots of unneeded features. This one does the one thing I need it to do, and that's it. Perfect. So many thanks to the author!
- (2018-01-24) Grim reaper: It seems to fail on facebook. I have turned all the sounds off for facebook yet it still bloody dings. Figured this would work but it seems not. It tries I give it that. It makes it have a bit more bass to it and it catches about 2/5ths of the ding however the ding is still annoying af. I may keep it due to it adding bass to the ding which renders it a bit less annoying. Albeit I admit the bass may just be an illusion due to it catching the beginning thus cutting off the high pitch bit.
- (2017-10-29) Roy Tock: It was so nice to visit my local news site and not have to endure the usual autoplay noise. Thanks!
- (2017-10-22) Timothée Husquinet: Some buttons won't do as they say. But pretty good ! Keep on improving ;)
- (2017-10-07) Andrian Andersen: Cool. It's the 1st & probably only audio mute extension that work with Vivaldi Browser. That browser own audio muter currently not advance enough for my use case. All same/less capability extensions with this one fail.
- (2017-10-05) Subskelly Lurker: This solves so many problems i had with WINDOW and not tabs themselves, thank you!
- (2017-09-08) Nicholas Baggott: Thank you! Does one thing and does it well. I recommend running it in whitelist mode. This blocks audio for all tabs except sites that you want audio from (not many for me). The whitelist comes with sensible defaults but I had to add google to get audible alerts from gmail/hangouts. Whitelist syntax is super easy. It's just substring matching. So adding "google" covers hangouts.google.com and play.google.com. It updates instantly. I just added "mynoise.net" and had only gotten as far as "my" when I heard sound. The only problem I've had with it was just now when I forgot that it was installed and spent a couple of minutes wondering why I wasn't getting audio. That's as good as it gets in my book.
- (2017-09-08) Gersivan Oliveira: Útil em alguns casos.
- (2017-07-26) Jay Jay: 100% EXCELLENT! The sundry "cures" posted by idiots about Google Chrome are all fake. But this is the real deal! Finally, no more obnoxious loud, "forced" videos playing on CNN and so many others. (Note: The videos play, but you won't hear the audio, unless you allow it via the app).
- (2017-06-27) Josh Milewski: Super useful.
- (2017-06-24) Дмитро Єфіменко: Отлично работает,спасибо! The Best!
- (2017-06-19) steve orrichio: Amazing, works as intended. Comes in handy when sites have auto-playing content and you aren't always ready. *** Edit: To the people complaining about the "read your browsing history" stuff... It can't access your actual history list (ctrl+h), it can only access the CURRENTLY OPEN URL'S, which obviously it has to if you look at its name. Chrome gives that warning because, since it can get the current url's, it could POTENTIALLY record those over time. But the author says right up front in the privacy statement that it doesn't record anything, and even shows you how to view the code yourself to make sure, so what are you complaining about... ANY extension that needs the url's of open tabs will give you the same "read your browsing history" warning.
- (2017-06-14) Ethan Kravitz: Really loved it, but now it stopped working until I grant it history permissions. Why would you need history permissions? Also please add a one click 'Whitelist this domain' to the toolbar button. After these two issues are addressed it would be 5 stars.
- (2017-06-14) Love this, and it works perfectly, but I'm removing it since it requires new, permissions it shouldn't need (read browsing history, send notifications.) I'll reinstall (and restore a deserved 5 stars) if it goes back to the way it used to be.
- (2017-05-30) Jared Schraub: Does exactly as the name implies. And it does it well.
- (2017-05-17) Joshua Levinson: Does exactly what it says on the tin. Well done.
- (2017-05-17) Tomasz Rozbicki: Doesn't work for gmail. I blacklisted it like this: google.com mail EDIT: had to restart Chrome, now it works!
- (2016-12-16) Paweł Płóciennik: Mute-whitelist was exactly that what i was searching. Thanks you for this Extension.
- (2016-12-02) Arpit Tripathi: Easy to configure :-)
- (2019-07-17, v:4.1) Ronald Clifford: All or nothing, Chrome 75
It appears that on Chrome 75, this extension is "all or nothing". If you have "mute all tabs" checked, it doesn't matter what's in your white list or black list, whether you manually mute/unmute a tab, or check any of the other options, everything is muted. Otherwise, everything has sound. This was working in the past, hopefully this can be addressed quickly.
- (2019-04-15, v:4.1) Caroline Darleeng: System
When I right click to mute the tab, it does mute the tab but on Windows 10, it plays a notification and displays a desktop notification confirming that I've muted the tab. is there a way to mute the notification?
- (2018-03-28, v:3.0) Not working anymore
Seems like this stopped to work in latest Chrome versions... Current I'm using Chrome version 65.0.3325.146. Tabs are note muted anymore, either using blacklist or whitelist.
- (2018-01-28, v:3.0) John Eric: Add volume setting by url
There are some URLs that play very loudly. Instead of muting these URLs, I would like a whitelist setting that plays audio at a preferred level, 1%-100%. Thanks.
- (2018-01-07, v:3.0) Knight Shadow: right-click menu
Hope to add right-click menu support.This is just a suggestion
- (2017-08-12, v:3.0) Jay Jay: Doesn't work on....
firstcoastnews.com It's blacklisted properly, but I have to mute it manually. However, on every other site it works perfectly!! Thank you!