Removes all color from websites, turning them gray. Can be set for specific sites and tabs, or for all sites.
***PLEASE NOTE***************** When you first install Grayscale the Web, you will need to refresh any tabs that were already open before this will work for them. Once you refresh a tab it should work from then on out. Any new tabs you open should work fine right away. ******************************** Can't stop surfing the web? You may not realize it, but all of that color is designed to hijack your brain and keep you browsing. Grayscale the Web is a great solution to help with this. It removes all of the color, giving sites a plain, grayed out look. They will appear much more boring, and that's the whole point. You'll soon find that time wasting sites hold your attention less, and this will hopefully help you focus on whatever it is you really need to be doing. Grayscale the Web lets you turn on grayscale for all sites, specific tabs, or whatever sites you choose. You can also exclude specific sites from turning gray when using the all sites or specific tab settings. Click the Grayscale the Web icon in your chrome menu bar to use the pop up menu to change settings, or click the 'Manage Saved/Excluded Sites' link there to go to the options page to manually manage and add or remove sites. NOTE: This plugin won't work on certain, chrome specific pages like the chrome web store.
- (2023-11-08) Ed Fons: amei!! era exatamente o que procurava para me distrair menos na internet!!! Basicamente, pus todos os sites da interner em escala de cinza e coloquei apenas como excessões os sites importantes para trabalho e estudo (maps, agenda, excel, whatsapp etc).
- (2023-10-25) Dimanjan Dahal: good for getting rid of distractions
- (2023-10-14) Luka Fedin: Does what it says it will. No complaints on my behalf.
- (2023-10-02) Bradley Auerbach: It doesn't work on Reddit anymore. I think they made some changes to how the site is structured when they removed awards.
- (2023-08-27) Carlos A. Fuentes: Eng. It really works! And the best of all is that i can choose which website will be turned into gray scale! LOVE IT!!! Esp. ¡Realmente funciona! ¡Y lo mejor de todo es que puedo elegir qué sitio web se convertirá en escala de grises! ME ENCANTA
- (2023-06-16) Joshua Phillips: Works well
- (2023-04-12) Ritik sharma07: Grate extension. Please add an autostart option at a particular time like at 9:30 PM because if i turn it of for some work I again forget to turn back on
- (2023-02-28) Stas Grinin: ебейше
- (2023-02-22) TNS: Quite uselss tbh
- (2023-01-06) Elliot K: Gamechanger - love this.
- (2022-11-15) Peter Amir: Great extension.
- (2022-10-14) Дмитрий Никулин: Отличное расширение. Благодаря нему экран не кажется таким превлекательным. Хочется меньше "залипать". Когда захожу в приложения/браузер в цвете - схожу с ума :)
- (2022-10-11) Marco Coraggio: Astonishingly useful for cutting on distractions. Thank you so much!
- (2022-06-10) Timotej Kvapil: LETS GOOOO. I LOVE YOU
- (2022-03-19) Timmy Cristof Iedi: It doesn't work on web discord as of 19/03/2022.
- (2022-02-28) Le Kikoojap: Useful for learning artists who want to analyze the values of web pictures on-the-go, etc. Also useful for web design, to check the use of values. Apparently useful to become less addicted to websites, I didn't know!
- (2022-01-11) Amit Singh: awesome without any bugs
- (2020-10-30) somnvm: I use it to check if my website is good for colourblind people (I know colourblind doesn't mean that you see in monochrome, there're different types, but if your site is easy to use in monochrome, it means that it would fit anyone.) Just a tip for web deveolpers.
- (2020-10-30) DoRyu Dracken: Works like charm <3
- (2020-09-24) 阿涂发发: it doesn‘t work on some websites, such like bilibili
- (2020-02-23) زیندووبوونەوە Zindubunawa: Thanks, I am using this extension every day. Thanks a lot. I suggest: 1- adding (exclude for this tab) option in the next update. 2- adding a little icon above the images that are in grayscale mode tabs to turn them into normal mode. Best regards to the one who created this extension.
- (2019-10-25) Florian Wurm: Excellent! Thank you so much for this extension! Another step forward in my digital sanity! :D Love how almost instantly facebook becomes meaningless to my brain and the being drawn towards it just fades! Great!! Thanks so much
- (2019-08-12) abc def: please add a hotkey option to be able to quickly toggle between grayscale and normal modes
- (2019-02-04) Krzysztof Palka: Does its job. Unfortunately, the exclusion option is quite limited. You cannot exclude subdomains something like your_organizatino.public-platform.com, only public-platform.com. Probably there's validation against > 2 dots in the URL, so you cannot exclude IP addresses as well. I would rate the extension higher, if it provided an option of changing the temperature of the grayscale filter, making it a bit warmer.
- (2019-01-10) ерунда сэндвич: exactly what i was looking for
- (2018-10-22) Witty Humour: Effective and Efficient Extension. It delivers.
- (2018-10-04) Tristram Savage: This is exactly what I was looking for, and it's AMAZING. I knew color was used to hack our reward pathways, but the results are most instant than I expected. This extension makes sites less engaging without making them technically any less useful. I don't want to block social media because I'll loose touch with friends, not see events, etc. But this extension allows that function without getting sucked into endless scrolling. It's really well done. I would throw some money at the devs if there was a donate option. I will admit to being a little uncomfortable not knowing whether or how they make money off of this.
- (2018-10-01) Billy Wilson: Works well in checking for potential colour contrast issues on websites. I suppose a dedicated "color blindness" simulator might technically be a better choice, but I don't have the patience to go through things 2 or 3 times to test various conditions (protanopia, deuteranopia, etc). Also, viewing the web in grayscale takes me back to the old days when I had a monochrome SparcStation on my desk.
- (2018-10-01) Esteban Rivera: Superb implementation!, and yes, greyscaling websites is a strong and effective method to kill addiction to social media, everything looks so ... dull
- (2018-07-28) Sampanna Sharma: this is what I was looking for. Thanks dev!
- (2018-06-25) Yu Wan: this extension offers me the funtionality I want for site filtering. 5 stars!
- (2018-06-07) Luuk van der G: i like it, two requests: option to enable color for the current tab, sometimes i temporarily need some color, i have to flip the global switch, but then i forget to turn it back on again i'd like a slider for reduced color, full grayscale is a little too much sometimes, making it hard to differentiate ui stuff
- (2018-05-30) Дмитрий Логинов: прикольное расширение
- (2018-05-24) kyle r: This extension has console log messages left in, and the source appears to poison the console.log object. Very unprofessional, removing.
- (2018-05-23) Terry McKay: Works exactly as advertised, except on google sites, which require a reload after activating, and even then sometimes are still in full color.
- (2018-05-23) Yehosef Shapiro: I've never been so happy to be so bored.
- (2018-05-22) Rocco Lucia: Well.. I can finally get back reading the news like in the 80s
- (2018-05-22) Walter Ribeiro de Oliveira Jr.: So far works very well and makes a lot of sites just... boring :)
- (2021-11-10, v:1.0.6) Danil2: what command in the Windows 10
what command in the Windows 10 command line to make the site black and white?
- (2021-04-12, v:1.0.6) زیندووبوونەوە Zindubunawa: Suggestion
Good joob thanks, one of the best extensions on net... I wish that you could add the feature of removing the effect on the images by putting a little icon on the images to remove the greyscale effect...
- (2021-02-16, v:1.0.6) James Brindley: Exclusions only work for .com domains
Hi, Firstly, love the extension, amazing work! Only issue is that I live in Australia, all of our domains here end in .com.au If I exclude any Australian site, all Australian sites get excluded because the extension thinks I want to exclude "com.au" rather than "example.com.au". Means I'm always manually turning the extension on and off for all tabs rather than being able to set it up properly. I'm sure other people in different countries would experience this problem, like "co.uk" sites etc. Anyway, thanks again for your app. Amazing. Regards, Avan.
- (2020-10-03, v:1.0.6) Elan Rosenfeld: Different color for visited links?
I like this plugin, the one thing I think is missing is some sort of indication of whether a link has been visited or not. Since the standard indicator is the blue vs. purple color which are similar in brightness, it's not possible with grayscale on. But ideally there'd be some indicator without having to turn off grayscale, even if it's something as simple as enabling color just for links on particular sites (I'd like to be able to tell from a quick glance which google search results or reddit links I've already visited). Thanks!
- (2018-06-24, v:1.0.6) Sean Klein: Open Source?
Would you consider releasing the source code for this chrome extension? I really love the idea, but I'm not very excited about running closed-source Chrome extension.
- (2018-05-27, v:1.0.6) Paulo Seabra: Don't block it outside US
You made a great tool! The best one out there to adjust human behaviour :) But it doesn't work in any domain outside US. Please consider GrayScale us all!
- (2018-05-24, v:1.0.6) William Oliveira: two TLDs
exclude doesn't works for domains with two TLDs like .com.br, it thinks "com" is the domain and white-lists every .com.br reply