Customize the new tab URL.
Chrome doesn't allow you to configure a new tab URL. It always opens its New Tab Page with a search bar and some browsing history. With this extension, you can use the options page to store a link to a page or even a path to a local file that will be loaded when a new tab is created. It is very lightweight and easy to use! ------------------------------- Permissions Explained ------------------------------- ------------------------------- Bookmarks and favicon: ------------------------------- When the extension is disabled from the options page, the new tab page is replaced by a default page which displays all bookmarks (and their respective favicons) that are in the Bookmarks Bar.
- (2022-08-02) Max SusLove: Works like a charm
- (2022-07-05) Brian Ernst: It works! My main gripe is I wish it was faster, or didn't stomp over a URL bar I'm interacting with. Sometimes I open a new tab and start typing right away, and it pastes the URL over what I'm trying to do. The instant a new tab is open the URL should already be filled in, but that might not be possible. Or it should detect if the URL bar is already being interacted with and not paste the URL.
- (2022-06-11) 予約次郎: Required for using Atavi. I think Atavi is required for web bookmarks, but unfortunately Atavi forces a newtab to rewrite, Atavi doesn't allow other choices of newtab, opens a heavy Atavi page every time a new tab is opened It is. Therefore, the extension that overwrites new tab is indispensable. Until now, it was good to use "Change New Tab", but it can no longer be used with the version upgrade of Google chrome. So I found this extension "Customize the new tab URL", very good! Thanks for developing a great extension!
- (2022-06-05) Shreyansh Jain: Thanksss !!! was looking for this exact thing and found it after a lott of struggle...!!! and thankss for making thiss, developerss! 🙌🎉🙏😇
- (2022-03-04) MPK: Seriously. Big browsers don't even have this feature. Why everything has to be done by an extension? This is such a basic thing... Very useful extension !
- (2022-02-23) Júnior Silva: thanks!! i hate chrome forcing google home page
- (2022-01-17) Leif Å.: It seems to work perfectly so far.
- (2022-01-12) M S: excellent, google and Microsoft are tyran They impose on the user by force first advert page, thank you for fight with this terror ;)
- (2021-11-22) Theo Carney: I'm trying to use this to set my new tab page to the OneTab extension home page: chrome-extension://##############/onetab.html When I hit cmd + t to open a new tab, it OneTab gets blocked: "############### is blocked This page has been blocked by Chrome ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT" I can get the page to load properly if I focus on the address bar and hit enter. Refresh button doesn't work. Maybe chrome won't allow one extension to open another, or I need to reconfigure a security setting? Either way pretty effing annoying that they removed the native functionality to customize your new tab smdh. Does anyone know how to fix this? I don't wanna be unfair and give a low review bc it seems like this is Chrome/Google being an @$$ about people getting a say in how they browse the web. But since I was hoping for this extension to solve this problem can't really give more than 3 stars.
- (2021-11-20) Aaron Stevens: Does as described, however there's a split-second white flash when opening a new tab and it's very jarring, especially when my custom page is dark themed. The white flash is probably the redirect process, is there any way of changing the colour of this?
- (2021-05-03) Lyle: Tried a couple versions on the Microsoft Edge store, but ultimately it was this one that worked perfectly (setting new tab page to the local bookmarks/favorites page), thanks
- (2020-12-02) Anton Trapp: Click ... installed ... click ... set local path ... new tab ... working. Can't be better than that! TNX
- (2020-09-12) John Pittenger: I wanted to use my own custom local page as my landing page for a new tab, and this extension allowed me to do just that. Awesome.
- (2020-09-03) Chieh Kuo: 好用，可以自己決定頁面
- (2020-07-31) 風呂先: Would be great if "about:blank" actually opened a blank page tab, vs a blank tab with about:blank in the URL. See https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/blank-new-tab-page/jonikckfpolfcdcgdficelkfffkloemh?hl=en-US for how they did it
- (2020-07-25) Pixel Whale: 簡單好用
- (2020-07-21) Mark Palmos: Great BUT the address bar is not automatically selected, so you cannot create a new tab and start typing in an address or search request. A Great Pity!
- (2020-07-04) Lucas Jarrett: Exactly what you need to give the finger to Microsoft attempting to every element of your life.
- (2020-07-04) Cassian Lodge: When I open a new tab and start typing a URL, the new tab loads and the URL overwrites what I just wrote. It's really annoying! When the new tab loads, the URL should be highlighted, or the address bar should be empty and the cursor should be in it ready for me to type.
- (2020-06-24) Royce Whitaker: Works great!
- (2020-03-10) Denis Litvintsev: Perfect doing what it says. One thing is that this extension not removing path from URL box. and it's not possible from page due security of Chrome. If it possible please add the clearing option.
- (2020-01-31) revchain: Excellent
- (2020-01-30) Rocket Pak: Doesn't work.
- (2019-11-25) Sergey Myndrya: Great and handy extension.
- (2019-09-16) Richard T E: There are many good newtab-redirect extensions for Chrome, and "Custom New Tab URL" is one of the best. If you are trying to override a different extension's newtab page, you should test this one and others for compatibility with your particular extensions. If you prefer Google as your default page, try these URLs: "chrome-search://local-ntp/local-ntp.html" or "https://www.google.com/webhp" -- for optimal functionality.
- (2019-07-28) 信的工作室: 還不錯 就是前面要再另外加http協定的字詞 一開始弄了好久 這東西很棒 整潔 乾淨
- (2019-07-05) Chris Bartley: Perfect, thank you! LOVE that it also puts focus in the URL. Well done!
- (2019-06-30) Josh Unwin: Love that it keeps the omnibox (search/url bar) in focus so you can still search instantly.
- (2019-06-06) Bruce Yi: awesome！
- (2018-09-26) Zoran Veljanovic: exactly what i needed
- (2018-04-04) Some Guy Online: I love everything about this app except the fact that it works as a redirect rather than an actual URL load. When I installed it and ran it (started a new tab), Chromes' classic new tab loaded first and then was redirected to Custom New Tab URL settings. Fix this bug and you get 5 stars. Specs: Windows 10 64-bit Chrome: 65.0.3325.181
- (2017-12-10) Alex Musician: Works perfect! Thanks!
- (2017-08-10) Adrian Commins: Yes. Now that the URL in the Omnibox becomes fully highlighted on each new tab, it's perfect. Thank you for this nifty extension.
- (2016-04-12) Morat Gurgeh: Does exactly what it says it does. Perfect solution for this problem!
- (2022-05-23, v:1.1.3) J W: Add-on not working
I downloaded and installed the add-on from the Chrome Web Store for Opera Browser Mac (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions), checked the enabled box and entered start.duckduckgo.com (first URL address) then clicked save. I opened a new tab in Opera browser for Mac and start.duckduckgo.com did not open. The new tab looks just as it did before installing the add-on.
- (2021-11-04, v:1.1.3) Asher Kobin: Chrome Tab Custom New URL
Has this project been abandoned? Can you share the source code? Is it on Github?
- (2020-09-09, v:1.1.3) Roger: Chrome disabling extension
As of a few weeks ago, Chrome keeps turning this new tab URL extension off. I turn it back on, and it works fora little while (about a day) and then it is turned off again. They do it with other new tab extensions too, such as 'New Tab Redirect'. Do you know why?
- (2020-06-01, v:1.1.3) Dylan Lemoine: Can't Search in New Tab
Before recently (as recent as a week ago), when opening a new tab with this extension enabled, the cursor would default to the search bar so I could do the following: 1. Ctrl + T 2. Begin typing to load a website/search Now, it doesn't do that so I have to click into the search bar to use it. This behavior works when not using the extension.
- (2020-03-12, v:1.1.3) Kevin Scott: admin policy configuration
Would love to use this across our G Suite account, but would need to be able to set the URL by policy (JSON for Chrome OS devices) - https://www.chromium.org/administrators/configuring-policy-for-extensions Are you open to this? I can't find any other similar extension that supports this.
- (2020-02-07, v:1.1.3) Marcus Benwell: grade 3 language and detailed instructions please, no flowery lingo, thank you
how does custom new tab chrome work, you need detailed instructions, don't see any way to input a desired page url ect. just a page with every bookmark as you say, but no way to change it. [email protected]
- (2018-07-12, v:1.1.2) Adrian Commins: Not highlighting Omnibox text anymore
Recently the Omnibox, while still gaining focus, doesn't highlight the text. The text cursor is placed at the end of the URL so I have to remember to hit F6, Ctrl+L or Ctrl+K before typing, which I never do.
- (2018-06-19, v:1.1.2) Local settings
I have this extension installed on a couple of different computers. I have it set to show a local file. However, the path is different on each computer. Your extension does not seem to use local settings, though, so I have to change the URL every time I move to the other computer. Am I doing something wrong?
- (2018-04-04, v:1.0) Some Guy Online: Redirects rather than loads
I love everything about this app except the fact that it works as a redirect rather than an actual URL load. When I installed it and ran it (started a new tab), Chromes' classic new tab loaded first and then was redirected to Custom New Tab URL settings. Fix this bug and you get 5 stars. Specs: Windows 10 64-bit Chrome: 65.0.3325.181
- (2016-12-09, v:1.0) Hans Lain: Browser History Access?
Why does this need browser History Access?
- (2016-04-12, v:1.0) Morat Gurgeh: Love it
Just wanted to tell you I love your extension. Does exactly what it needs to do and nothing more. I wish there were more extensions like this out there :) Great job! Scott Posch