Mutes new tabs until you un-mute them
Mute New Tabs stops websites from making noise without your permission. It uses Chrome's tab muting API to automatically mute new tabs. On supported sites, it automatically unmutes the tab when you interact with an in-page volume control. If needed, you can un-mute a tab by using the context menu on the tab itself. Note: to restore the "Unmute tab" and "Mute tab" context menu actions, disable "Sound content setting" in chrome://flags. This extension also 1) mutes tabs on startup, because Chrome doesn't remember which tabs were muted. 2) mutes the tab when you navigate to a different origin. All behaviors can be toggled in the extension's popup window. This extension does not include any kind of analytics or tracking. -- Why it uses these permissions: "Read and change your data on a number of websites" - inject content script that sends "unmute" message to extension when you click an in-page volume control "Communicate with cooperating websites" - receive "unmute" message from injected script "Read your browsing history" - determine if a tab moved to a different domain (origin) -- Mute New Tabs can also be installed from source: https://github.com/ludios/mute-new-tabs
- (2019-04-25) Jim Packer: No longer works with Chrome 74. As indicated in instructions: Note: to restore the "Unmute tab" and "Mute tab" context menu actions, disable "Sound content setting" in chrome://flags. This setting is no longer an option.
- (2018-12-02) Wei-Zhi Huang: clicked but nothing.
- (2018-03-13) Angela Hoffmann: Bringt neuerdings nicht mehr die gewohnte Funktionalität, es werden keine Seiten mehr stumm geschalten, trifft jedoch auf alle gängigen Mute-apps zu
- (2018-02-05) David Y.: If this worked on popups as well as tabs it would receive a higher score but as it stands, it's not very good for sites that have popup videos.
- (2017-11-20) William Hohenstein: I wish there was a whitelist of some sort, otherwise it works as intended. Recommended.
- (2017-09-20) Darrel Eddings: A solid 4 stars. Add White listing and you would have a 5 Star extension.
- (2017-08-05) Buggy. Unreliable. Mutes all tabs ok. But doesn't unmute many videos no many how many times I click on the video's volume control. Click, double-click, click and slide slider. Nope. Just disabling the extension in "Manage extensions" doesn't work either. Many (more than half) videos stay muted until I completely uninstall the extension. At the moment of uninstall, the audio starts playing. Needs more testing and debugging.
- (2017-04-25) Qu2sai: Mute´s every tab and i can´t unmute them
- (2017-04-11) Victor Price: This is exactly what I've been looking for. Thank you very much. Is there a way I can add domains to the auto unmute list? Simply want to add Pandora.
- (2017-03-08) Ryan Winsauer: I had concerns about this extension possibly tracking it's users but the author eased my worries and now feel that it is not the case. Thanks for the great extension.
- (2017-01-16) Riley Agricola: Does exactly what it says. Great for when you don't want auto-playing crap starting.