A simple bookmark sidebar that stays open while your browse
Updated January 26th 2015 - See notes below Finally! A sidebar that shows your Chrome bookmarks while you browse. Do you miss the Firefox bookmark sidebar? Well this is the extension for you. FEATURES - Tree view opens and collapses at your request. - Search your bookmarks in the sidebar. - Choose wether you want Sidecar to stay open or open on demand - Add the page your on as bookmark to any folder in Sidecar - Open and close the sidebar with button on browser toolbar - Open and close with key command (See below how to open Sidecar for settings) HOW SIDECAR WORKS Why does Sidecar open on top of the page instead of pushing it over to the right like Firefox? Sidebar bookmark in Firefox are part of the actual browser. Therefore it has special allowances. Chrome extensions don't have the allowances. Yes, we could make Sidecar push the content to the right instead of overlay. However, we have tested this extensively and it has proven problematic and in many cases, broken the layout of websites. Most user have told us that since Sidecar has easy ways to open/close it (see below) quickly that it is ok that it opens on top of the page. They just open/close when needed - usually with key command. HOW TO OPEN SIDECAR 1. Click the browser tool bar button 2. Click the little tab you see on the left side of your browser 3. Setup a custom key command. Here is how: While in Chrome choose the "Window" menu then "Extensions". Scroll to the very bottom of the Extensions list. Click "Keyboard Shortcuts". Find Sidecar in the list and enter your a keyboard shortcut of your choice. Now Sidecar will open/close anytime you like. UPDATED JAN 26th 2015 - Based on feedback, we've made the little tab on the left side of the browser optional. See settings panel for on/off switch. Also fixed a bunch of other bugs. UPDATED JAN 13th 2015 - Added a small tab that hangs off the left side of the browser frame. Clicking the tab makes it really easy to open Sidecar. UPDATED DEC 11th 2014 - Added optional "Always Open" or "Open on Demand" feature - You can now add bookmarks to folders right inside Sidecar. Click a little plus button next to each folder in Sidecar, it will add the current web page to that bookmark folder. Really quick way to bookmark pages. Faster then the Firefox drag and drop method - we think, let u snow what you think -Added a close and settings button to the bottom of sidecar
- (2017-12-10) Max Rempel: Blocks the page and doesn't allow drag and drop.
- (2017-10-01) Bertie Wooster: Waste of money & time.
- (2017-09-11) AIKATERINI KAPERONI: it doesn't appear at all :(
- (2017-04-25) Soarele Fericirii: Am renuntat la Sidecar Bookmarks deoarece se suprapune peste textul paginii deschise sau se ascunde sub acesta / de ex. in YouTube . La prima vedere arata bine, insa : 1. trebuie rezolvata problema cea mare si Sidecar Bookmarks sa fie separat de pagina deschisa in Browser, ca la Firefox , 2. Cand se deschide o pagina noua in Browser, Sidecar Bookmarks face un fel de Refresh .
- (2017-03-06) Евгений Бачурин: This is exactly what i'm looking for. Would be nice if you could add two things: 1. Allow to hide "other bookmarks" 2. Allow to disable animation. I hate this micro-delays on animation when I'm working.
- (2016-10-27) John Lyddiard: No matter what I try it will not work.
- (2016-03-31) dardaner: please add : - Research folder favorites , not just bookmarks. - The bar display 1-click on the left side of the mouse ( as AllInOneSidebar Firefox) - Beug : navigating on a New Tab , the bar disappears and appears again - Display Sidebar hides the web page :(
- (2016-01-07) it's worth a penny. not bad try
- (2015-10-22) Nik Willmore: Only appears after a web page has loaded. If I set Chrome to use blank pages for new tabs, fails to appear. Please fix this.
- (2015-08-01) Caty Mag: finally a working sidebar! Thanks :)
- (2015-05-07) 冒佳琦: I thought the sidebar would work like IE11 or FireFox,but it blocked the Webpage.I expect the next update.
- (2015-03-13) Chenoe Hart: Shouldn't have paid $5 for such a poorly designed app, which is inferior to the Firefox extensions which are available for free.. The constant presence of the logo is annoying and reduces valuable screen space. Also buggy performance.
- (2015-02-23) Larry Parker: It does not update bookmarks when you delete them from the Bookmark Manager until you restart Chrome. Also it does not fit the viewing page like Firefox does, it displays OVER on TOP of the web page. Also there are no options for managing bookmarks inside the bar. It's basically useless and I have no idea why it got a five star rating, not worth the $4.99.
- (2015-01-17) Brandie Linfante: I don't mind that this extension opens on top of pages. It took about 5 minutes of getting used to but now I'm really happy with the way it works. Thanks!!
- (2015-01-15) While it is true what the other reviews say -- by sliding to open over the web page, Sidecar does not function the same as Firefox or the old IE sidebar bookmark -- I am not about to leave Chrome over this. Installed no problem. You can select Sidecar to open on demand or stay open. To add bookmarks while in Sidecar, just point the mouse at "Bookmarks Bar" at the top of the list and a blue circle with an orange + sign will appear. Click and you've added the new bookmark. It's good enough for me, given the alternatives. The least I can do is pay the guy $5 for having solved a very annoying problem. Thanks.
- (2015-01-14) Jennifer Amrecki: Sidecar opens on top of pages. I didn't think I'd like that. But I got used to it now I'm totally fine with it. opening and closing is really easy so I just switch it on whenever I need it.
- (2015-01-13) Sukhjinderjeet Singh: Really helpful. Finally have a way to use bookmarks efficiently in Chrome!
- (2015-01-03) Michael Dunlap: Definitely the best sidebar implementation I've seen in Chrome. Although I'm so used to being able to click anywhere along the left side of the browser to open and close the sidebar in Firefox. I just changed the key shortcut to one of the many buttons on my mouse and, now that I've gotten used to it, it's just as fast, if not faster. Loving this!
- (2014-11-26) Dmitry Skornyakov: Please add: * Adding the bookmarks * Sidebar persistanse * Ability to change the size It would be the best chrome add-on after that.
- (2014-11-05) David Kraljic: Yes, bookmarks sidebar! Works as expected. Disclosure: I'm the creator. This is a scratch your own itch project. I just couldn't live without a bookmark sidebar anymore. Hope everyone finds it useful.
- (2014-11-04) Richard Livolsi: This functions exactly how I want and would expect. My only gripe is that I can't add bookmarks directly to the sidebar (yet?). Overall I think this is a great extension and long overdue for chrome users.
- (2019-07-27, v:1.0.6) Steven Hughes: sidecar bookmark
Sidecar Bookmark stopped working I tried different things to get it to work but no luck, so I removed it. I tried reinstalled it to see if that would fix the problem, but now it is asking me to pay again. So i did not install it again, figuring that i all ready paid for it once. Please help.
- (2019-07-02, v:1.0.6) Colin Ibberson: Not working
I don't understand how to get my bookmarks to actually get into the bookmark folder?
- (2018-10-22, v:1.0.6) Tom Evans: doesn't work
Inspite of the Chrome Web Store saying they don't allow extensions that don't work this one certainly does not work!!!! I paid $4.99 for it and got nothing useful in return. It will not show any of the bookmarks on my machine except for those in the quick access bar across the top of the browser all the time anyway. So what's up with that????
- (2018-05-24, v:1.0.6) Michelle Carter: Opening sidebar covers website
Sometimes, when I go to a new website, the sidebar opens for no reason and covers about 75% of the screen making the website unreadable. However I try to get to that particular website, the sidebar expands and nearly covers it.
- (2017-11-28, v:1.0.6) Wesley Kime: using it
I can't get it to open or appear
- (2017-11-15, v:1.0.6) Ιάκωβος Λαβασάς: Dos not work
No way to make it work
- (2017-04-11, v:1.0.6) Евгений Бачурин: No page overlapping
When I open sidebar, it overlaps page. Shouldn't it push page to the right instead, like in FireFox or Vivaldi?
- (2017-04-11, v:1.0.6) Евгений Бачурин: Tabs opens twice
When I middle-click on bookmark, it opens two tabs.
- (2017-02-07, v:1.0.6) Sidecar not working with chrome 56
I purchased this extension but could not get it work with chrome 56. So I chnged to a previous version Chrome 54 but I lost the extension.... What to do ?
- (2016-09-24, v:1.0.6) Alvise-Marco Seno: Hello
I purchased the extension but it hasn't been installed on my Chrome. Any help? Or my money back please. Regards