Adds a right-click menu that opens a link in a specified window
Chrome will by default open any link in the same window as it was clicked. If you have multiple chrome windows open, this extension will add a right-click menu allowing you to choose which window to open the link in. The menu will automatically show the current window/tab title of the windows you can choose to open the link in. Optionally you can also name your open windows by clicking the "Open in specific window" icon in the upper right-hand corner.
- (2023-07-10) Marek Liska: Please repair the alt+click option! It would be the best extension with it!
- (2023-05-22) Met Samuel: Alt-click doesn't work. This extension is useless, there's no way I'm going to constantly right-click.
- (2023-05-02) Clemens Ratte-Polle: no option to open links in a specific tab ? :)
- (2023-01-04) Charles Magnuson: Love that I can rename windows, but I then find that feature rather useless because the extension gives my windows an order which doesn't make sense and I cannot rearrange. It would be helpful if I could reorder the list. It would be even more helpful if the window I am hovering over is highlighted as I move my mouse through the list. I cannot get the alt-click target feature to work. Is this feature still functional? I would love to be able to define URLs such as company.com/user/* where any URL matching that search could be directed to open in a specific window when clicked.
- (2021-11-09) David: It's great that you can rename windows, but chrome already has a feature for this, you should just pull in the named windows and display those. Then this extension would be perfect for me.
- (2021-09-09) Jeff Eddings: Really like the functionality, but I really wish it showed the Name of the window in the list. Instead it shows the current tab title. If you go into chrome settings for the window, click More Tools and Name Window... you can give the window your own name to better organize. I wish it showed that name.
- (2020-11-29) Brendan Janssen: Great extension. However, it's a bit slow from the right click menu. It would be amazing to have a key shortcut combination to "throw" to specific windows. eg) - Alt+1 + url click -> throws to a window designated as 1 - Alt+2 + url click -> throws to a window designated as 2 etc This way I can stay focused on my task but can direct different links to different 'logical content areas' (windows) on my screen
- (2020-11-19) Oren Kidron: Looks good, can't get the Alt+click to work
- (2020-07-23) Rodrigo Souto: Very nice extension! For some reason the Alt-Click does not work for me even after verifying the window name several times (Linux with Chrome 83.0.4103.97). Also if the shortcut would have other options such as the mouse wheel button this would be completely game changer for me.
- (2020-07-18) Nid: Excellent idea, exactly what I was looking for. Only 1 issue is that opening a link from a google sheets cell downloads the link rather than opening it in my second window. With that one tiny thing ironed out, this would become an indescribably massive timesaver.
- (2020-04-16) Casey Schorr: I can't get the alt-click to work on a Mac. When I try to alt + click it downloads the page as a .html file - please help!
- (2020-02-11) Vinay: Awesome, just what I wanted.
- (2019-07-30) K Mazz: Alt-Click is not working. What happened?
- (2019-06-09) RedSnt: Does what it says on the tin. Everyone's desktop environment is different, and like many power users I use more than one monitor, which also means more than one browser window (one per monitor in my case), making this extension very useful if you, like me, have sites pinned to specific windows. Now I can skip the steps of having to open a link and then move the tab to the correct window. Godt arbejde jfsl 👍.
- (2018-02-03) Thomas d'Aprigny: Awesome, this is exactly what I was looking for. However I wish the opened tab would automatically be selected on my second display (I have to switch to the new tab)
- (2017-06-12) Senne Malcorps: Great stuff. Does exactly what I wanted it to. Very basic and barebones, which is good - no bloat. A++ Cheers
- (2017-01-17) Romarain public: It's almost perfect ! Can you add a function that can open links in a specific window (or the last window used), BY USING A SHORTCUT instead of the contextual menu ? I would like to use the WHEEL-CLICK to open tabs no in the actual windows but in an other (or in the last "another" window used) very quickly.
- (2016-04-23) CJ Just Jams: Very nice, exactly what I need. Having the Title of the window would be helpful, but I have two different displays so i know which is which. Nice work, and thanks!
- (2016-03-30) Jesse Gilbride: Would be nice if the list of windows showed something useful, but instead shows numbers (eg: 1, 33, 38). Too confusing, uninstalling.
- (2015-10-26) James Lewis: it's on github here: https://github.com/jfsl/open-in-specific-window
- (2015-07-19) Bro Rat: . Very useful tool if you very often open more than a single window in Chrome. Just remember: No extension icon, it works from the context (right click) menu. . The DataRat .
- (2021-01-27, v:1.3.1) Colin Beck: Another user with Alt-click on mac not working
Option-click on a Mac downloads the link rather than opening it in the window specified in the settings. Is there a solution? I've tried every possible combination of the Control, Option and Command keys, and I've checked that the name of the window specified in the settings matches the actual name of the window.
- (2020-11-29, v:1.3.1) Brendan Janssen: Throw to content areas
Great extension. However, it's a bit slow from the right click menu. It would be amazing to have a key shortcut combination to "throw" to specific windows. eg) - Alt+1 + url click -> throws to a window designated as 1 - Alt+2 + url click -> throws to a window designated as 2 etc This way I can stay focused on my task but can direct different links to different 'logical content areas' (windows) on my screen
- (2020-04-16, v:1.3.1) Casey Schorr: Alt + Click on Mac not working
I can't get Alt + Click working on Mac. I have my window named "Right Hand" and have set the same name in the settings. When I alt + click (really, option + click on a Mac) it simply downloads the link as an .html file to my downloads folder (I believe this is the default Mac behavior for alt + click). Please help!
- (2019-05-23, v:1.3.1) Chris Harling: Alt+Click Shortcut
I love this extension, it's crucial for multiple monitor setups! Sadly, for me the Alt+Click target window doesn't seem to be working. I named my window "TEST" and Enabled the Alt-click target in settings and the right-click target works no problem, but I can't seem to get the Alt+Click working.
- (2019-03-07, v:1.3.1) Henrik Granlund: Feature request
Really useful extension! However, would love it if you implemented a setting that would make it able to automatically activate the new tab, instead of changing to it manually :)
- (2019-02-24, v:1.3.1) Dan Pusceddu: Save named windows
Is there a way to make this extension remember the names I set on windows between Chrome restarts? Chrome always remembers the windows and tabs I had open last time, but each time I have to re-name those windows for this extension.
- (2018-06-21, v:1.2.2) Marcus Collins: Click modifier shortcut
Thanks for this extension - I find it really useful at work. Would it be possible to add the ability to map a shortcut for a specific window? Eg. if I alt+click a link, it opens in a specific window Thanks again
- (2018-06-02, v:1.2.2) Bruno Bouget: Open links in specified windows from bookmarks manager
Hi, Could it be possible to use this addon from bookmarks manager ? Thanks
- (2018-04-16, v:1.2.1) Kamil Renczewski: Not working anymore
Today this stopped working for me. This option is no longer visible in menu. Version 60.0.3112.113 (Official Build) (64-bit)
- (2017-07-12, v:1.0.2) Senne Malcorps: Window Title
I have added changes so that the titles of windows are displayed. I have put in a pull request, so feel free to use it. For those who want it right now: https://github.com/Zarnaik/open-in-specific-window
- (2016-07-08, v:1.0.2) JoongKeun Kim: context menu change
It would be great to minimize the depth of context menu. like as moving "open in other window" as top level menu
- (2016-03-04, v:1.0.2) the numbers identifying windows makes this unusable
I have 10-15 windows open and 10-30 tabs in each, the id is does not mean anything so cannot be used for selection. I could target on say a tab title, or if I could name the window (use its title) that would work.
- (2016-02-13, v:1.0.2) David Kulik: What are those numbers?
This extension identifies the target windows by numbers, but how am I supposed to know what number is what window?
- (2013-09-24, v:1.0.2) Pradeep Chellathurai: New Feature Request: Display number of tabs open in each window
Thanks for making this extension! New Feature Request: In the context menu, show the number tabs open in each window session.