Redirect all Bing (and therefore Cortana) searches to a search engine of your choice!
Man it's been a long month. We got DMCA'd by Microsoft for the logo, but we got a new one from a very generous Preston Locke. Enjoy! ----------------------- My Google account was compromised and an unofficial version (1.1.3) was sent out as an update to all Chrometana users. That update bundled malware. We are so incredibly sorry for this and are working with Google to identify how the account was compromised. We have just shipped update 2.0 out now, which includes a streamlined UI and NO MALWARE. Please do not hesitate to contact Theo through Github or feedback on here at any point. Again, we are so sorry about this and are going far out of our way to prevent compromises from happening in the future. ----------------------- Recommended by Engadget, CNET, Gizmodo, IBTimes, WIndowsClub and more! "This handy Chrome extension thwarts Microsoft's attempt to make Bing a thing." - CNET Bing is an unfortunate thing. Defeat it with Chrometana, allowing for all Bing search requests to redirect to a search engine of your choice. Currently supports Google, Yahoo, and DuckDuckGo redirects for all Bing searches, even Cortana ones! Make sure you're using Chrome as your default browser for this to work properly. Condensed Changelog (Visit the blog for more detail): v1.1.2 - Reverted tabs permission request, fallback is now a redirect script v1.1.1 - The "small" update, decreased package size v1.1.0 - UI overhaul v1.0.2 - Fix for background app issue In order for Chrometana to work when Chrome is closed, you must have background apps enabled. If you have disabled background apps, you can re-enable by doing the following: 1. Go to Chrome Settings 2. Click "Show Advanced Settings" 3. Scroll down to System 4. Check "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed"
- (2022-05-17) Scott Goldstein: Was great until recently. Just stopped working. Reinstalling the add-in doesn't fix it.
- (2022-04-14) luke l: doesnt work, windows search still opens bing and edge.
- (2022-02-22) Nicolas Borensztein: Use the free extension "Chrometana Pro" instead. Unfortunately the developer doesn't continue to maintain this extension. For security reasons, you should never rely on old unmaintained software, new vulnerabilities are discovered every day. Fortunately there's another developer maintaining a more modern version of this same extension. Just use that one. Worked for me as advertised.
- (2021-12-31) Toots: No Longer works (Dec 2021)
- (2021-10-08) BeHappyBeVegan: Doesn't work.
- (2021-07-23) 西塔鬼若丸: このアドオンは現在は使えない。 フリーソフトの「EdgeDeflector」も危険を含むサイトとして報告されている。 同じ機能のフリーソフトで「Search Deflector」は現在バージョンもアップしてインストール後の設定も簡単になり便利である。
- (2021-07-13) Thanh Hau Tran: OMG I love this one, spent the whole morning try using Deflector but it does not work, this one help me in a minute. Thank you, thanks alot love you from HCMC.
- (2021-06-01) Cookie Wookie: it works well but I would recomand getting the new version https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chrometana-pro-redirect-c/lllggmgeiphnciplalhefnbpddbadfdi
- (2021-04-30) Jacob Dhoest: Why is it not working? I have windows 10, downloaded extension with Chrome already set as default browser yet things still open up with microsoft edge. I also set my advanced Chrome settings to continue running background apps when Chrome is closed. Help pleeeeeeease.
- (2021-03-06) Mason Bond: Works for cortana but only if EdgeDeflector is installed
- (2021-02-15) ZED DEZ: worked for five minutes then it went sideways waste of time
- (2021-02-14) Christian Schünke: would be fine to seperate these to options: - a search from lockscreen (where is this image from) just bing delivers the image of a lockscreen search) - a search from startmenu :)
- (2021-01-28) Gabriel Macedo: Independente do que eu faça a Cortana não está pesquisando no Google Chrome.
- (2021-01-24) A W: stops bing from hijacking my chrome. F bing
- (2021-01-21) Lorenzo Principe: It does what it's meant to do, and it does it quickly! Using on new Microsoft Edge
- (2021-01-19) Nikita Lyalin: Didn't work and even won't saving settings
- (2021-01-11) Teo Dumi: works fine
- (2021-01-08) Roni Rachmani: Redirects to affiliate ads links sometimes 😠
- (2020-12-14) Jordy Hoebergen: Het werkt super goed! Kan ik eindelijk zoeken via start en daarna via Google ipv Bing..
- (2020-11-16) zuljared perez: can someone please helpp me how to use this...... i couldnt figure it out
- (2020-10-07) Don Javierito: Sería perfecta si los resultados que te da el buscador (antes de que se abra el expolador) también fuesen de Google.
- (2020-09-30) VJ Bus & Bahn: Super!!
- (2020-09-30) Antje Jonas: Super
- (2020-09-30) Valentin J.: Funktioniert perfekt und beschleunigt nebenbei stark den Start vom Browser!!
- (2020-09-25) J: doesnt work
- (2020-09-19) Ehsaas Gupta: it didnt work for me , i domnt know what i did wrong but it doesnt work
- (2020-08-29) Asaf Merschon: Thanks to all who mentioned this requires EdgeDeflector. After installing that this extention works great. The description should have a shiny red huge bold text that mentnions this. At first I just thought it doesn't work.
- (2020-08-04) Sathvik Malgikar: good works awreokmr
- (2020-07-17) rcm 999: Wouldn't work at first. Reinstalled and now it does work. Wish the redirect was instant, as it does lag a little when it redirects to Google from Bing.
- (2020-07-02) John Baas: Doesn't seem to work any more, cortana searches always go to Bing in Edge
- (2020-06-26) Michael Berman: No Bing For you! Thank goodness I have stop Edge and Bing from ever tainting my computer again!
- (2020-06-25) XZenon: Paired with EdgeDeflect this is probably the most important Chrome extension one might have. And, except for "Bing videos" (yeah, nice try Microsoft, embedding YouTube videos in your page) it works reliably everytime. I was pleasantly surprised that both EdgeDeflect and Chrometana still work after Microsoft's recent Chromium-Edge overhaul (Edge 81)!
- (2020-03-31) Palxim8: I've always hated the way Window's 10 Cortana is hard set to use Bing. I didn't know it was so easy to fix! In conjunction with EdgeDeflector, this allows me to finally use the search engine of my choice right from Window's 10 start menu.
- (2020-03-31) Timo Menz: This is exactly what I was looking for! --------------------------------------------------- Step by step instructions to make it work: -Download and install EdgeDeflector -Go to: "Settings > Apps > Default Apps > Set defaults by app > EdgeDeflector > Manage" -Set the "MICROSOFT-EDGE (URL:microsoft-edge)" to "EdgeDeflector" -Download and install "Chrometana - Redirect Bing Somewhere Better" from the chrome web store -choose your search-engine (Google, DuckDuckGo, Yahoo) -celebrate you're welcome
- (2020-03-27) HHI Chung: This is pretty great!!! However, there is tiny bug. In 'option' to select which search engine to use, there is a button and lead to additional settings. There are two selections which should be designed as 'select one only'. The selections are 'Apply to all Bing Searches' and 'Apply Only to Cortana Searches'. But both of them can be selected and there is no selection to unselect it.
- (2020-03-16) Max Parker: I installed because i really dislike Microsoft features, Chrome is far better as is google in general vs Microsoft. However this extension changed absolutely nothing.
- (2020-03-12) Pytale: Funktioniert leider nicht
- (2020-03-11) Solegitter 35: Halaloolaaa Halloula Haaalaluuuula Hla u Lahu da da dda
- (2020-02-26) Luiz Felipe Gava: Não funcionou. Apesar de ter instalado e reinstalado, todas minhas pesquisas continuam sendo feitas pelo Chrome. Uma pena, pois achei uma ideia muito legal
- (2020-02-23) Heko: PARA QUIENES NO LE FUNCIONEN, TIENES QUE INSTALAR EDGE DEFLECTOR, LUEGO TE METES EN APLICACIONES PREDETERMINADAS, MAS ABAJO SALE ELEGIR APLICACIONES DETERMINADAS POR PROTOCOLO. UNA VEZ TENGAS YA INSTALADO EL EDGE( SI NO NO FUNCIONA) BUSCAS MICROSOFT EDGE, CLICAS Y ELIGES EDGE DEFLECTOR, Y YA FUNCIONA. AQUÍ LA PAGINA DONDE LO HE LEIDO PARA QUE LO ENTENDAIS MEJOR SI QUEREIS LEERLO ENTERO: https://www.redeszone.net/2017/11/13/edgedeflector-permite-redirigir-los-enlaces-del-navegador-microsoft/
- (2020-02-13) Koop Kupras: Old and abandoned, does not work. Don't waste your time like I did
- (2020-02-03) Bori Kim: 설치했는데 안됩니다. 여전히 window 검색창으로 검색하면 bing이 나옵니다. 소용이 없네요
- (2020-02-01) Luis Emilio Padilla: Trabaja perfectamente con el nuevo Edge Chromium para las búsquedas del tab nueva pagina y las de la barra de búsqueda del mismo Windows 10
- (2020-01-31) Muhammad AbdEl-Salam: Not Working
- (2020-01-31) Ethan Nyberg: Had to do a couple of trouble-shooting steps with EdgeDeflector, but everything was up and running in under two minutes. Very happy to move the start menu links out of microsoft world.
- (2020-01-29) Soham Kulkarni: Software doesn't work at all. I download the extension then it pops up to a page that says "select your desired search engine" or something and I select it but nothing happens. I close all of my Chrome tabs and then I try Windows search yet it still goes to Bing. Please help, IDK what to do.
- (2020-01-18) WalterTheGermanyBall: Does NOT WORK! This app is a lie that disappointed me.
- (2020-01-07) 杉山Yuki: preferences not saved
- (2020-01-04) Mason Ada: Doesnt work for me unfortanately
- (2019-12-20) Luke Bethman: Does not redirect searches from the task bar in windows 10. FAIL
- (2017-06-04, v:1.1.2) Cataldo Mussuto: CORTANA
cortana does not use the google chrome search engine. how can I do?
- (2017-04-24, v:1.1.2) Neehar Vijay: tell everybody to use edge deflector
in the overview, tell everybody to use edge deflector. The Guideto install is here:https://www.groovypost.com/howto/make-cortana-use-your-default-browser-instead-of-edge-in-windows-10/ The download link is here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/bing2google/mgoehlfmhfafaiepckjikpphoklijedl?hl=e
- (2017-03-21, v:1.1.2) It works again via EdgeDeflector
Not sure if you saw this, but your extension is once again back in action. I just tried it out and it works great once EdgeDeflector is installed. http://lifehacker.com/edgedeflector-forces-cortana-to-use-your-default-web-br-1792427125
- (2017-03-15, v:1.1.2) No Bing Option
I want to redirect to Bing, but this isn't an option - only Google, DDG and Yahoo. Pls fix
- (2017-03-01, v:1.1.2) David Markowitz: fix me
fix the app i hate edge
- (2017-02-26, v:1.1.2) Itay Rosen: Won't make Cortana use Google
This app still wont make my Cortana use google :( what can I do?
- (2017-02-18, v:1.1.2) Bill C: This works again
this will work in conjunction with another program on github https://github.com/da2x/EdgeDeflector/blob/v22.214.171.124/README.md#installation its an awesome combo
- (2017-02-14, v:1.1.2) Alex ExtGuru: Monetization browser extension
Hello! I am a representative of the company EXT.GURU., Which is a leader in monetizing browser extensions. Currently EXT.GURU- the most advanced and profitable platform for profitable cooperation. Based on the above we want to make you a better offer for collaborating. We offer more than 10 types of monetization, each of which has confirmed unique effectiveness. Depending on your needs, we provide several methods of monetizating- from the soft to the hard methods. Be sure No negative experiences from users - Only appropriate and clear advertising. In addition, by providing an individual approach, we take into account the wishes of each partner.Please, take the most note that, our system didn't conflict with other systems, so you can easily earn extra income. Why cooperate with us is profitable: Without the slightest effort you can give yourself a high revenue. Payments are carried out on request. No delays and no minimum amount. Select a payment system that is preferable for you. Lightweight and easy to use interface will provide full comfort for webmasters. Responsive support service instantly answer all the questions that interest you. The complete absence of restrictions on the GEO. Detailed statistics in real time. Failures and disturbances in the system are excluded. Profitable Refferal Program. In conjuction with EXT.GURU your extension "Chrometana - Redirect Bing Somewhere Better" will become a reliable guarantee of maximum profit. High earnings, combined with comfort for users- Now it's really! If you are interested in our offer or have any questions or suggestions, please feel free contact with us. We look forward for collaboration!!! Skype: extguru ICQ: 654784658 Jabber: [email protected] Email: [email protected]
- (2017-02-08, v:1.1.2) Trindade: arruma ai pf
- (2017-01-28, v:1.1.2) RJ Franklin: People
need to learn to read... so many comments saying it's not working but really they are just too lazy to read.
- (2017-01-19, v:1.1.2) A ttect: Doesn't work
doesn't work for cn.bing.com