Use the right-click menu to search for selected text in different search engines
This extension can be used to search for selected text using the context menu. Different search engines can be added according to the user's wish to the right-click menu. The search results are shown in a new tab which can either be a focussed tab or a background tab depending on the options set by the user. The location of the newly opened tab can also be set by the user to be either next to the current tab or the last tab. The order of the search engines in the right-click menu can also be arranged. A list of 40 commonly used search engines has been added so that users can choose easily. If needed, the user can also add an option which has not been included. You need at least Chrome version 6.0.472 to install and use this extension. If needed you can install from any channel you want here: http://goo.gl/4fHh *This extension is under continuous development. Any feedback is highly welcome and will help me in adding new features. If you like the extension, please don't forget to rate it 5-star (preferably!) and spread the word by using the FB Like button on the extension options page. In case of any issues/suggestions, leave a comment at the support and FAQ link provided below. Known issues: -------------------- 1. The extension icon reverts back from the magnifying glass to default Chrome extension icon sometimes. Disabling and enabling the extension again should bring it back. This is perhaps an issue with chrome.contextMenus.removeAll() method. 2. Favicons for search engines cannot be displayed in context menu currently as the contextMenus API does not allow it. 3. Taking settings from omnibar search configuration is not possible. Change-log: ---------------- 2.93: Removed ./ in manifest to avoid chromium bug : https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=410666 2.92: Fixed the delete item button. Added new FB share/like button. 2.91: Fixed content security violations. Removed tweet option due to direct script loading. 2.90: Changed to use manifest version 2. 2.82: Drag and drop to rearrange options. 2.80: Minor code changes, Option for Google+ search added. 2.72: Bug fixed: Chrome restart no longer needed to apply settings. 2.7: Users can now use either 'TESTSEARCH' or '%s' to denote search terms. Context menu icon changed. Minor CSS changes. 2.6: CSS problems fixed on options page. Option for Cuil Search removed and options for Yahoo! Japan, Reddit(Google search) and Google Definitions added.'Facebook Like' button added. 2.5: Users can choose to have the link to options page displayed at the end of the context menu. Export/Import search engines' list feature is provided to facilitate saving of configuration. Options page redesigned for easy use. Added Baidu and Rotten Tomatoes. 2.0: Added options for the user to choose if the search results show in a background or foreground tab. They can also pick whether the new tab opens next to the current tab or at the end. A list of 35 search engines has been added as options for the user to add. 1.5: The order of the search options can now be re-arranged. 1.0: Users can now add as many search engines to the right click menu as they want. An existing option can now be disabled or deleted if not required. 0.9: Added the ability for enabling/disabling particular search engines. Users can also customize which search engines they want and what the name of the search engine in the list should be. 0.5: Added Bing images to default pack
- (2020-01-14) gaven chan: wonderful tool. it is a must have to me.
- (2019-12-31) Ibrahim Najjar: Great extension , but i would really love it if it could be able to have keyboard shortcuts for the searches. for example if i can click ctrl+1 on a selected text and be able to search for google or any site i assigned to it
- (2019-12-23) A K: Thank you for your great extension! Please tell me how to backup because i want to re-install chrome. In which file the websites sleeping saved on the following directory? I use Mac. ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default Thank you in advance. Atsushi ------------------------------------ おおむね素晴らしいです。 １つ質問です。 １クリックで同時に複数のサイトを検索できる方法があったら教えてください Please tell me how to search multiple website at the same time by a single click.
- (2019-11-29) Hùng, Henry Trương: Great app! Can we sort them alphabetically ?
- (2019-11-27) Fredrik Fan: Extremely useful while not resource-consuming
- (2019-10-28) brian mobile: IS VERY GOOD. however, I would love it more if i could add icons to each search engine !!!
- (2019-09-12) John Smith: try this one instead https://github.com/w3lifer/crx-context-menu-search
- (2019-08-29) nono vava: like it but the search for twitter doesn't work .please check it
- (2019-08-28) John Cassil: This is one of the only search functions that allows you to link to files on your local/shared drives by "searching" for the filename.
- (2019-08-11) truth will set you free: Just what i was looking for! Excellent ! Easy to use ! Thanks !!!!!
- (2019-07-29) vbzrv liber: TESTSEARCH doesn't work. Pls, provide a working method to add new site to the menu.
- (2019-07-23) banality: This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you for enhancing convenience on searching.
- (2019-07-22) Johann Wesemann: Does what I want. Can even add Google Maps, just add this: "https://www.google.de/maps/search/TESTSEARCH/" Simple UI, Setup in a minute. Use it multiple times daily.
- (2019-07-16) Thierry Roget: c'est tout simplement indispensable quelque soit le profil utilisateur. J'utilise l'outil pour des dictionnaires en ligne (plusieurs dizaines) c'est tout simplement optimum.
- (2019-07-15) No Names: Essential.
- (2019-06-27) horen fu: easy and useful.
- (2019-06-10) 김병건: 필요한기능만 있는 아주 유용한 프로그램
- (2019-04-16) ООО Лавков3: Два клика и ты уже на нужной странице сайта. Два клика и нужный товар найден. Спасибо, разработчикам удобство. ООО "Лавков" рекомендует данное расширение.
- (2019-03-26) lahoucine ikous: Thank you for this extinction its really saves time and increase productivity
- (2019-03-24) Vyacheslav Lanovets: Now I able to invoke Italian->English dictionaries and Yandex search quickly. I am happy.
- (2019-03-10) This should search within quotation marks. Otherwise we can not call it a context searcher because it will yield search results for all the words within the context separately and not like within quotation marks. Do that and get a five star.
- (2019-03-06) О М: Отличное расширение! Очень удобно то, что ты можешь сам настраивать сколько угодно "станций" поиска UPD Пользуюсь этим расширением более 4 лет. ОЧЕНЬ ДОВОЛЕН
- (2019-02-28) swampfIower: This is epicly useful for me ! Thanks a lot (:
- (2019-02-24) Franz Hegenberger: All my links disappeared! Why?
- (2019-01-28) EXQUISITE BELTING: Very good!~
- (2019-12-31, v:2.93) Ibrahim Najjar: Faster search
is there a possibility to search a site in one click meaning to assign a keyboard shortcut to search selected text in an assigned site without having to access the Context Menu or right click menu. right now i right click and hit S on the keyboard to search since i dont need to access the context menu extension to search for google but i want to be able to search for google with one click of a button and also be able to search other sites with different keyboard shortcuts.
- (2019-12-23, v:2.93) A K: how to back up
Thank you for your great extension! Please tell me how to backup because i want to re-install chrome. In which file the websites sleeping saved on the following? I use Mac. ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default Thank you in advance. Atsushi
- (2019-12-14, v:2.93) Philippe Dekyvere: Hierarchical menus
Hi I love this extension soo much. I do a lot of research online for genealogy and it's great to automate searches. since I have been adding so many options, I would really like a hierarchical menu to arrange my options, for example one main menu for Image search, another for genealogical searches, etc... a bit like the folder structure in bookmarks.
- (2019-11-25, v:2.93) marco bollini: ricerca titoli di netflix nel menu contestuale ?
troverei molto utile un tasto destro di chrome che ricercasse i titoli (su netflix) che mi vengono suggeriti dai miei amici o da altre fonti esiste???
- (2019-10-30, v:2.93) Thomas Vilfroy: not getting context menu search when I right click...
I am not getting the context menu search when I right click on an image or even text. I verified I have the options selected in the extension and saved those options. am using extension version 2.93 and chrome Version 78.0.3904.70.
- (2019-10-27, v:2.93) Matt Piper: Add url completion so we can have direct links to pages from partial urls
This extension is seriously my favorite and first thing i install on any new machine (btw, backing up the export to gdrive would make it a lot easier to get this running on a new machine quickly ;) But the only thing i would love to see added to this is the ability to complete urls. So if i create a paramater for youtube like `http://youtube.com/TESTHANDLE` Then when i highlight `phillyd` the extension will take me directly to `http://youtube.com/phillyd`. This wold work with all social media (twitter, instagram, reddit, etc) And really complete this extension for me!
- (2019-09-17, v:2.93) Mauricio Matiz Rueda: No funciona
Hola, le doy clic derecho pero no funciona. Ya lo he instalado tres veces y nada. Ya incluí el link con el que necesito trabajar pero no me funciona. Alguna idea de porqué?
- (2019-09-07, v:2.93) Jörg Dommermuth: multiple search words
Not always the standard conversion of a blank as %20 is working but a plus is always functioning. So please replace lines 97/98 in search.js by: var targetURL = _all[itemindex].replace("TESTSEARCH", info.selectionText.replace(" ","+")); targetURL = targetURL.replace("%s", info.selectionText.replace(" ","+")); Beside that the search addresses need a little update as they have changed for some of them or in the case of picasa doesn't exist anymore.
- (2019-08-20, v:2.93) Makenzie Cunningham: Replace TESTSEARCH Twice
I'd like to setup an advanced JIRA search string that replaces TESTSEARCH twice in the URL. Is this possible with this tool?
- (2019-08-11, v:2.93) Carmel C: Bing Maps
What would be the proper url to add this? I tried setting it up on Bing Maps but it doesnt produce any valid url in the address bar. Thank you for this extension, its helpful.
- (2019-07-10, v:2.93) Robert R: Custom search engines gone
Hi, All of my custom search engines that I have created have disappeared. Is there a way to get them back?
- (2019-06-17, v:2.93) James Walker: Options Missing After Chrome Restart
Options I choose are missing when I startup or refresh Chrome.
- (2019-06-13, v:2.93) kazi masud: link guide line
need the config Link for Manage Context Menu Items for those website 01. https://subscene.com 02. https://www.crazyhd.com