Use the right-click menu to search for selected text in different search engines
This extension can be used to search for selected text using the context menu. Different search engines can be added according to the user's wish to the right-click menu. The search results are shown in a new tab which can either be a focussed tab or a background tab depending on the options set by the user. The location of the newly opened tab can also be set by the user to be either next to the current tab or the last tab. The order of the search engines in the right-click menu can also be arranged. A list of 40 commonly used search engines has been added so that users can choose easily. If needed, the user can also add an option which has not been included. You need at least Chrome version 6.0.472 to install and use this extension. If needed you can install from any channel you want here: http://goo.gl/4fHh *This extension is under continuous development. Any feedback is highly welcome and will help me in adding new features. If you like the extension, please don't forget to rate it 5-star (preferably!) and spread the word by using the FB Like button on the extension options page. In case of any issues/suggestions, leave a comment at the support and FAQ link provided below. Known issues: -------------------- 1. The extension icon reverts back from the magnifying glass to default Chrome extension icon sometimes. Disabling and enabling the extension again should bring it back. This is perhaps an issue with chrome.contextMenus.removeAll() method. 2. Favicons for search engines cannot be displayed in context menu currently as the contextMenus API does not allow it. 3. Taking settings from omnibar search configuration is not possible. Change-log: ---------------- 2.93: Removed ./ in manifest to avoid chromium bug : https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=410666 2.92: Fixed the delete item button. Added new FB share/like button. 2.91: Fixed content security violations. Removed tweet option due to direct script loading. 2.90: Changed to use manifest version 2. 2.82: Drag and drop to rearrange options. 2.80: Minor code changes, Option for Google+ search added. 2.72: Bug fixed: Chrome restart no longer needed to apply settings. 2.7: Users can now use either 'TESTSEARCH' or '%s' to denote search terms. Context menu icon changed. Minor CSS changes. 2.6: CSS problems fixed on options page. Option for Cuil Search removed and options for Yahoo! Japan, Reddit(Google search) and Google Definitions added.'Facebook Like' button added. 2.5: Users can choose to have the link to options page displayed at the end of the context menu. Export/Import search engines' list feature is provided to facilitate saving of configuration. Options page redesigned for easy use. Added Baidu and Rotten Tomatoes. 2.0: Added options for the user to choose if the search results show in a background or foreground tab. They can also pick whether the new tab opens next to the current tab or at the end. A list of 35 search engines has been added as options for the user to add. 1.5: The order of the search options can now be re-arranged. 1.0: Users can now add as many search engines to the right click menu as they want. An existing option can now be disabled or deleted if not required. 0.9: Added the ability for enabling/disabling particular search engines. Users can also customize which search engines they want and what the name of the search engine in the list should be. 0.5: Added Bing images to default pack
- (2021-05-08) Claudi H: Just what I've been looking for - needed facebook search. Has to change the link because the one offered in the extention doesn't work anymore but that was done within a second and now it works and makes my workflow easier.
- (2021-04-28) stefano elidori: absolutely perfect. and can be better almost, including support to mailto: commands. for example selecting text like an emails and ask to send email (in case the is a correct link to emails).
- (2021-03-01) gdn gdn: useful extension! the following functions would be great: 1. save settings in google account or export-function 2. custom menu label in context menu instead of "context menu search" thanks!
- (2021-02-25) Oliver Lu: Have used some kind of extension like this in browsers for 15-20 years and this one used to work but now seems to be dead...can no longer customize the search engines (still offering me *Bing* as a choice)...webpage seems gone so if anyone can recommend an up-to-date replacement please do so.
- (2021-02-24) eyes wide open: FIVE STARS - just what I was looking for - configuration is super simple and easy - an extremely well conceived and executed extension. A bonus for me, too, is being able to create custom display names for contextual search items. Bravo!
- (2021-02-09) João Serra: This is awesome, except doesn't seem to work with strings that use & its a small detail that bit annoying
- (2021-02-08) Ray Cornwall: No longer supported, but still does what I need it to do. Would love to see it picked up by a new developer, but grateful it's still a useful extension.
- (2021-02-01) Louis Waweru: Important feature missing from all browsers.
- (2020-11-17) J. Scott Elblein: Update 4 yrs later: Had to remove it. It kept randomly deleting all my configs. Donezo! Next! Previous: Missing one small thing to make it perfect; The ability to categorize searches into groups. i.e. Search Engines -> Google, Bing, etc. Images -> Google Images, Picasa, etc. News -> CNN, etc. Instead of having one, long list where they're all mixed together.
- (2020-10-31) Lexx Firecore: works nice but some times it resets the configuration and I am loosing my search engines, please improve configurations. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=TESTSEARCH http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=TESTSEARCH&go=Go https://translate.google.com/#auto/en/%s
- (2020-09-09) Anti Fashist: Отличное расширение, Спасибо!
- (2020-06-27) Josh Fisher: This is a wonderful extension that I use in many different ways. Been using it a long time, and love it!
- (2020-03-15) Run: 欲を言えば、Context Menu Searchの後ろに(アンパサンド (ampersand, &)英語)を付けて欲しいです。 サブメニューは自分で付けてます。 I want you to attach (ampersand, &) English to the back of Context Menu Search if you want. I am trying to make the sub menu to be. Other options Export/Import search options にテキストで保存しておいたものを張り付けて、Saveで他のPCでも復元できます。 Paste what you saved as text in Other options Export / Import search options and save it on another PC with Save.
- (2020-02-23) Aes: Thanks alot
- (2020-02-04) Alexei Melniciuc: Good extension
- (2020-01-19) Krystian G: Perfect!
- (2020-01-19) Cuong Tran: It's amazing extension. Thanks alot.
- (2020-01-14) gaven chan: wonderful tool. it is a must have to me.
- (2019-12-31) Ibrahim Najjar: Great extension , but i would really love it if it could be able to have keyboard shortcuts for the searches. for example if i can click ctrl+1 on a selected text and be able to search for google or any site i assigned to it
- (2019-12-23) A K: Thank you for your great extension! Please tell me how to backup because i want to re-install chrome. In which file the websites sleeping saved on the following directory? I use Mac. ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default Thank you in advance. Atsushi ------------------------------------ おおむね素晴らしいです。 １つ質問です。 １クリックで同時に複数のサイトを検索できる方法があったら教えてください Please tell me how to search multiple website at the same time by a single click.
- (2019-11-29) Hùng, Henry Trương: Great app! Can we sort them alphabetically ?
- (2019-11-27) Fredrik Fan: Extremely useful while not resource-consuming
- (2019-10-28) brian mobile: IS VERY GOOD. however, I would love it more if i could add icons to each search engine !!!
- (2019-09-12) John Smith: try this one instead https://github.com/w3lifer/crx-context-menu-search
- (2019-08-29) Bang Tannie Self: like it but the search for twitter doesn't work .please check it
- (2019-08-28) John Cassil: This is one of the only search functions that allows you to link to files on your local/shared drives by "searching" for the filename.
- (2019-08-11) ali normukhamedov: Just what i was looking for! Excellent ! Easy to use ! Thanks !!!!!
- (2019-07-29) vbzrv liber: TESTSEARCH doesn't work. Pls, provide a working method to add new site to the menu.
- (2019-07-23) banality: This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you for enhancing convenience on searching.
- (2019-07-22) Johann Wesemann: Does what I want. Can even add Google Maps, just add this: "https://www.google.de/maps/search/TESTSEARCH/" Simple UI, Setup in a minute. Use it multiple times daily.
- (2019-07-16) Thierry Roget: c'est tout simplement indispensable quelque soit le profil utilisateur. J'utilise l'outil pour des dictionnaires en ligne (plusieurs dizaines) c'est tout simplement optimum.
- (2019-07-15) No Names: Essential.
- (2019-06-27) horen fu: easy and useful.
- (2019-06-10) 김병건: 필요한기능만 있는 아주 유용한 프로그램
- (2019-04-16) ООО Лавков3: Два клика и ты уже на нужной странице сайта. Два клика и нужный товар найден. Спасибо, разработчикам удобство. ООО "Лавков" рекомендует данное расширение.
- (2019-03-26) lahoucine ikous: Thank you for this extinction its really saves time and increase productivity
- (2019-03-24) Vyacheslav Lanovets: Now I able to invoke Italian->English dictionaries and Yandex search quickly. I am happy.
- (2019-03-10) This should search within quotation marks. Otherwise we can not call it a context searcher because it will yield search results for all the words within the context separately and not like within quotation marks. Do that and get a five star.
- (2019-03-06) О М: Отличное расширение! Очень удобно то, что ты можешь сам настраивать сколько угодно "станций" поиска UPD Пользуюсь этим расширением более 4 лет. ОЧЕНЬ ДОВОЛЕН
- (2019-02-28) swampfIower: This is epicly useful for me ! Thanks a lot (:
- (2019-02-24) Franz Hegenberger: All my links disappeared! Why?
- (2019-01-28) EXQUISITE BELTING: Very good!~
- (2019-01-09) San Giorgio al Corso: ottima serve molto
- (2019-01-08) Love this extension!!
- (2019-01-03) moustafa Hassan: it's great but why there is no shortcuts ?
- (2018-12-12) Andre Amaral: I would have given 5 starts if this extension could sync its settings across browsers with my account.
- (2021-05-07, v:2.93) acala vajra: URL notation when specifying search terms in Shift JIS
Hello. I always use Context Menu Search. I have no problems with most of the search engines, but there is one site where the search does not work. It is the following site called "価格.com (kakaku.com)", which is the lowest price search site in Japan. https://kakaku.com I have registered the URL link of this site as follows. https://s.kakaku.com/search_results/TESTSEARCH There is no problem when I search for product model numbers or product names consisting of alphanumeric characters and symbols, but when I search for product names in Japanese, the search results are garbled. WordLight, a Japanese search app for iPhone, can unify various search sites, so I registered kakaku.com, and the URL link is as follows. https://s.kakaku.com/search_results/<%@><%[email protected]>/ In short, it looks like I should specify the search term as Shift JIS, but in that case, please tell me how the URL will be displayed. Jooen
- (2021-04-28, v:2.93) stefano elidori: insert MAILTO:commands
simply select a text and send like mailto:TESTSEARCH to open a new mail in client
- (2021-04-18, v:2.93) Lord Trollalot: context menu search
Context: ["link"]-Search for link.innerText: something like searchOnClick_4_links( info, tab) .... would be awesome im using context-search all the time on firefox but now i switched to chromium...im new to chrome and have no clue, if its hard or not ... just an idea .. this extention is very well done... and im looking forward to see, what comes next ;) with friendly and thankful regards romi bonetsmueller from germany
- (2021-02-27, v:2.93) Stuart McCutchan: Selecting individual words for submission
Quite often I'm on a page and see separate, non-contiguous words I'd like to search on. I can right-click on one of them and search that, and then add the other words when on my destination page, but doesn't Context Menu exist to save its users from hassles like that? It would be much easier to be able to select non-contiguous words on the original screen. Double-click the first word to define it. Then Command-click the second word to define it, while the first word remains defined. And so on, until I'm ready to right-click and have Context Menu do its magic. Another request would be to give us the option to have results come up in a new window, not just a new tab. This would be a great addition for Mac users like us. Thanks for your consideration. This extension has been a game-changer for us. Really appreciate it, and the work you do!
- (2021-02-22, v:2.93) Moshe Heller: Option to Add Search Engines to Groups for Easier navigating
It would be very helpful if there would be an option to allow grouping of search engines. for example if I have UPS Tracking, USPS Tracking & Fedex Tracking and I can add them under 1 group called Shipping Tracking so when I right click in Chrome and select Context Menu Search it Will Show Me the group Called "Shipping Tracking" in the list and once I hover it will expand to show me the 3 Search Engines under this group. It will be much cleaner to navigate. Thanks
- (2021-02-09, v:2.93) João Serra: Allow use & on search strings
Could you add support to search stuff like "this & that" the & seems a problem
- (2020-11-18, v:2.93) Crystal Owens: not working
my context menu is not working it wont even let me uninstall it to reboot it i click on it and it will bring it up but it wont let me click on anything
- (2020-10-16, v:2.93) Ariel Benjamin: Location of custom search file
To whom it may concern, I've been a long-time user of the Context Menu Search chrome extension. It's a great tool. Thank you for that! Sadly, I recently had to reinstall my computer. Fortunately I am backed up but rather than simply restore from the backup (and potentially restore some of the issues with it) I've reinstalled. With that I lost my substantial custom searches that I built up over the last several years using your extension. I'd like to go into my backup and just restore that data. Where is that data stored? I was able to find the context menu search extension folder in the appdata/local/google/chrome/userdata/default/extensions folder but looking in that folder I don't see any file that contains my custom search strings. Thanks in advance for the help. Ariel
- (2020-09-24, v:2.93) Steven: Multiple Search Engines with One Click
If possible, please add a way to search multiple different search engines at the same time with one click (opening in different tabs). I perform a single search on four different pages/search engines very often. If I were able to click one button each search, instead of four, this would save me a lot of time. Thank you for a great extension.
- (2020-09-22, v:2.93) Moshe Heller: Option to Open search in Incognito Mode
When Adding a search in Context Menu there should be an option if this search should open in Incognito Window.
- (2020-09-21, v:2.93) twndrgns: About startpage.com
Searching for TESTSEARCH on startpage.com does not reflect the link in the URL. Please tell me the link.
- (2020-09-12, v:2.93) John Navas: Options not backed up
Reinstall of Chrome lost all my customization! PLEASE use Google Auto Backup for options!
- (2020-08-16, v:2.93) Josep puig casanas: context menu code
Please, indicate where is the box to enter the ¨context menu search code¨
- (2020-04-22, v:2.93) Philippe Dekyvere: Extension not active ?
Hi I am using this extension a lot, and today 4/21, I tried to change some options (extension was active until i saved, and suddenly the extension is no longer active or responsive to for example other options. and it disappeared from the context sensitive menu.
- (2020-03-24, v:2.93) Dre Kernodle: LinkedIn
Hi there! Do you have a recommendation for searching on LinkedIn? For instance, I'd like to be able to highlight a name and have it search on linkedin. Thanks!
- (2020-03-24, v:2.93) Work - Lucas Vieites: Version for Firefox?
Hi Ashu, I'm trying to find the same functionality of your add-on for Firefox, but none of the existing ones do what this one can. Do you have plans to create a version for Firefox? Thank you, Lucas
- (2020-03-02, v:2.93) Bannie Pan: enable multiple search?
love this extension. was wondering if it's possible to enable multiple search of a keyword using search engines that I've created? thanks!
- (2020-03-02, v:2.93) Walker Huang: security related
Does the extension share any information with the web in any way, or does it run entirely locally?
- (2020-02-14, v:2.93) Marco Coletti: Slash is not urlencoded
Try "one/two/tree" with https://translate.google.com/ the translator loses any text after the first slash.
- (2019-12-31, v:2.93) Ibrahim Najjar: Faster search
is there a possibility to search a site in one click meaning to assign a keyboard shortcut to search selected text in an assigned site without having to access the Context Menu or right click menu. right now i right click and hit S on the keyboard to search since i dont need to access the context menu extension to search for google but i want to be able to search for google with one click of a button and also be able to search other sites with different keyboard shortcuts.
- (2019-12-23, v:2.93) A K: how to back up
Thank you for your great extension! Please tell me how to backup because i want to re-install chrome. In which file the websites sleeping saved on the following? I use Mac. ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default Thank you in advance. Atsushi
- (2019-12-14, v:2.93) Philippe Dekyvere: Hierarchical menus
Hi I love this extension soo much. I do a lot of research online for genealogy and it's great to automate searches. since I have been adding so many options, I would really like a hierarchical menu to arrange my options, for example one main menu for Image search, another for genealogical searches, etc... a bit like the folder structure in bookmarks.
- (2019-11-25, v:2.93) marco bollini: ricerca titoli di netflix nel menu contestuale ?
troverei molto utile un tasto destro di chrome che ricercasse i titoli (su netflix) che mi vengono suggeriti dai miei amici o da altre fonti esiste???
- (2019-10-30, v:2.93) Thomas Vilfroy: not getting context menu search when I right click...
I am not getting the context menu search when I right click on an image or even text. I verified I have the options selected in the extension and saved those options. am using extension version 2.93 and chrome Version 78.0.3904.70.
- (2019-10-27, v:2.93) Matt Piper: Add url completion so we can have direct links to pages from partial urls
This extension is seriously my favorite and first thing i install on any new machine (btw, backing up the export to gdrive would make it a lot easier to get this running on a new machine quickly ;) But the only thing i would love to see added to this is the ability to complete urls. So if i create a paramater for youtube like `http://youtube.com/TESTHANDLE` Then when i highlight `phillyd` the extension will take me directly to `http://youtube.com/phillyd`. This wold work with all social media (twitter, instagram, reddit, etc) And really complete this extension for me!
- (2019-09-17, v:2.93) Mauricio Matiz Rueda: No funciona
Hola, le doy clic derecho pero no funciona. Ya lo he instalado tres veces y nada. Ya incluí el link con el que necesito trabajar pero no me funciona. Alguna idea de porqué?
- (2019-09-07, v:2.93) Jörg Dommermuth: multiple search words
Not always the standard conversion of a blank as %20 is working but a plus is always functioning. So please replace lines 97/98 in search.js by: var targetURL = _all[itemindex].replace("TESTSEARCH", info.selectionText.replace(" ","+")); targetURL = targetURL.replace("%s", info.selectionText.replace(" ","+")); Beside that the search addresses need a little update as they have changed for some of them or in the case of picasa doesn't exist anymore.
- (2019-08-20, v:2.93) Makenzie Cunningham: Replace TESTSEARCH Twice
I'd like to setup an advanced JIRA search string that replaces TESTSEARCH twice in the URL. Is this possible with this tool?
- (2019-08-11, v:2.93) Carmel C: Bing Maps
What would be the proper url to add this? I tried setting it up on Bing Maps but it doesnt produce any valid url in the address bar. Thank you for this extension, its helpful.
- (2019-07-10, v:2.93) Robert R: Custom search engines gone
Hi, All of my custom search engines that I have created have disappeared. Is there a way to get them back?
- (2019-06-17, v:2.93) James Walker: Options Missing After Chrome Restart
Options I choose are missing when I startup or refresh Chrome.
- (2019-06-13, v:2.93) kazi masud: link guide line
need the config Link for Manage Context Menu Items for those website 01. https://subscene.com 02. https://www.crazyhd.com