Protect against data profiling by search engines
Listed as one of the best Chrome security extension by "MakeUseOf": http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/best-chrome-extensions TrackMeNot is a lightweight browser extension that helps protect web searchers from surveillance and data-profiling by search engines. It does so not by means of concealment or encryption (i.e. covering one's tracks), but instead, paradoxically, by the opposite strategy: noise and obfuscation. With TrackMeNot, actual web searches, lost in a cloud of false leads, are essentially hidden in plain view. User-installed TrackMeNot works with the Chrome Browser and popular search engines (AOL, Yahoo!, Google, and Bing) and requires no 3rd-party servers or services.
- (2020-12-04) non non: Personally, this works well for me. It seems it wasn't working for a while but has been doing its job recently.
- (2019-12-20) Ringo Swartz: Clever software. When given enough rope trackers hang themselves. :-)
- (2019-11-06) M Gray: This used to be a great extension but it looks like it's abandoned because it breaks every few days and you have to re-install it to get it working again. Shame.
- (2019-08-13) Konstantin Kottrup: Disabling search engines doesn't work, it's still sending queries to bing and yahoo even though I only selected google. Plus it only draws from the list of popular search queries and keeps searching for the same queries over and over again. Since those queries are very different from my normal searches, they would be super easy to filter out by google or anyone.
- (2019-04-22) Janick Molist: Excellente extension, installée en remplacement de Ghostery, devenu commercial et cachant un tracker intégré !!!
- (2019-03-18) Takes control of Chrome tabs and randomly enters search phrases that appear to be what is trending at the time. Had to disable.
- (2018-06-19) Evan Wilder: The extension is very cool in how it searches and ads search noise to your profiles. Lightweight and smart.
- (2018-03-04) k0rsar611 k0rsar611: Cool Addon for hiding personal search with automatic search queries.
- (2018-01-18) Moira Aikenhead: Doesn't work - only error messages showing.
- (2017-11-10) Ren Draco: the extension works fine most the time, but sometimes take control over my browsing tab or over another tab, make lost my previous browsing, this is annoing, is like someone is hacking my pc, sort of... anyway, TMN TEAM can you fix those issues?. thank for your work and share it.
- (2017-11-04) Bashir Abba: I also keep getting the error message and it now opens up a new page on its own when sending automated queries. Please fix it.
- (2017-10-30) Harsh Singh: keeps showing error after running successfully the first time
- (2017-05-24) After working for 15 minutes and restarting numerous times, it continues to error out. This version must have a bug. In the past it has worked well.
- (2017-04-26) Joe Parker: Keep getting error
- (2017-04-19) Simon Li: Constantly has error notification.
- (2017-04-13) Jacques Lalancette: Cool idea, but adding search engines in Chrome throws an error.
- (2017-04-01) Brendan R.: It needs to be updated. With America's privacy blunders, the time seems more important now than ever before. Obfuscation and messing with algorithms of tracking should be standard.
- (2017-03-31) Robert Manina: How about an Iphone version Please ?
- (2017-03-30) b0rys: Works as described, but sometimes it forgets config & displays "error" in status icon. plz fix
- (2017-02-02) usa2today: Идея хорошая, но так и не понял как добавить туда поиск через Яндекс. А Гуглом и прочей Байду не пользуюсь. Пришлось удалять, т.к. для меня вся затея оказалась бесполезной.
- (2016-11-27) asp ado: For me, the best since 2005.
- (2016-07-06) Damian Krup: ok
- (2016-06-20) HAX 999: !
- (2016-04-05) Guillaume VANHOVE: Dommage que le Français ne soit pas pris en charge. Personnellement cela ne me dérange pas car je faisais déjà 80% de mes recherches en Anglais.
- (2016-03-30) Morane amente: Excellente extensions !
- (2015-09-15) Andres: awesome
- (2015-09-06) So far, so good. Obfuscation makes more sense in this instance.