Get instant dictionary definitions for any word or term that hits you anywhere on the web!
Definitions.net is a free multilingual dictionary that provides instant definitions from many respected reference resources such as the Random House College Dictionary, Princeton WordNet, Wiktionary, Webster Dictionary, U.S. National Library of Medicine, DOD Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms and more. To use this extension simply select a word on any web page you're visiting and click on the extension icon. A pop-up window will open with all possible definitions for the selected word. Note: The extension will not work in tabs that were open prior to installation. After installing this extension, either reload your open tabs or restart Chrome.
- (2020-10-11) Abby: This extension is great for doing research with hard to understand words with my schoolwork. It helps me understand what the text is talking about and now I can have a trusted site at my finger-tips. Great Work all!
- (2020-03-31) John Thimakis: Extremely handy extension. Works very well. No problems encountered so far. * TIP: If you have trouble finding definitions for a word and it reports that: [Sorry, we couldn't find any matching definitions...] Try not using plurals. Eg: Use, ie highlight: "allusion" instead of "allusions".
- (2019-11-20) David Blum: Great extension! She is really very helpful and fast!
- (2019-07-21) Олександр: it would be cool if when pressed the 'and * more' button the result was displayed in the same window rather than redirected to the site
- (2019-06-09) Gene Grant: Love this tool, very useful! I am curious as to what information it gathers beyond what is needed to look up a word, though. Is there a privacy concern regarding its use?
- (2018-09-14) Andy Li: For me it's the best dictionary program!
- (2018-02-12) Yigal Ben Efraim: Very useful app for instant definitions...
- (2021-03-24, v:1.0.8) fhj 52: Fails to define a word using the "Search for definitions" text box
Double-clicking or highlighting a word does not place the word in the Definitions.net "Search for definitions" text box. Upfront: This is about Chromium based browsers. Opera is main browser but also in MS Edge and Firefox. It seems to be this Definitions.net program because Good Word Guide does place the same word in it's definitions box, including words from THIS text box here at chrome web store. Google dictionary also does it but only most of the time. ...others too(translators for example). The primary offense occurs in a text box or a web page that has a discussion format such as one would find for a comments section such a newspaper article comments(E.g., NYT or WaPo). In addition when the word in question is copied and placed in the box a drop-down list appears but when 'Return(Enter)' is pressed, nothing happens. Furthermore, upon selecting the search button a new page opens to display the definition. That does not seem to be the intent since no extended definitions were requested (but maybe it is). I would not bother posting this issue but I really like the Definitions.net browser addon ...except of course when it does not work.
- (2020-08-04, v:1.0.8) Lee Rigg: install
How...Where is the install tab?
- (2020-07-04, v:1.0.8) Dior 디오 (Dior): Translation
Can add translation for Bahasa Melayu (Malaysia) please.thnx!