Double-click a word on any website and instantly get its definition at TheFreeDictionary, the world's most comprehensive dictionary!
Finding the definition of any word on any website has never been easier! Instantly access definitions from TheFreeDictionary.com four easy ways: * Double-click any word. * Click the extension icon and search directly from your toolbar. * Highlight any word and click the extension icon. * Highlight any word and right-click. TheFreeDictionary.com is the world's most comprehensive dictionary, featuring English and 13 other languages, plus multiple thesauri, encyclopedias, and specialty dictionaries such as financial, medical, legal, acronyms, idioms and much more!
- (2021-03-19) Ajay Kumar: Okay. but I don't want a new tab to see the definition.
- (2021-01-25) Serap GOKCEN DOGAN: I can find here many words that I cannot find in any other dictionary
- (2020-11-28) Nyi Nyi Zin: The worst extension I've ever seen. I use web extension as a shortcut to look up words by double-clicking them and to get a list of definitions without taking a new tab on my chrome. Unluckily, the free dictionary regarded as the best one for me fail to perform this function for user-friendly's sake. So....., NO THANKS! Strongly suggest to update the version for the convenience of the users.
- (2020-11-27) Viictor Speranța: TheFreeDictionary.com is great and their extension is cool too. Good job Farlex.
- (2020-01-17) Protector of the Realm: I've had the extension for a while now and it's been fantastic. Highlight the 'word' and click on the Icon in the tool bar. It doesn't get much easier than that.
- (2018-07-17) Peter Gogolak: Almost perfect, but an additional settable text bubble popup option would be very useful.
- (2018-05-25) Anna Petrova: It's very good and useful! I love the convenience!
- (2018-03-12) Gerent G: The most valuable tool on your browser
- (2018-02-18) Ivan Yurchenko: I want to have a pop up window with a definition, not a separate page.
- (2018-02-17) Era Javukh: Double-click on a word and OPEN A NEW WINDOW? No thanks.
- (2018-02-07) Jack Vanny: I love it since I begin learn English. I Love Farlex ^^
- (2018-02-05) Magnus Oxlund: This works great, and with the a keyboard shortcut assigned, it's even faster than opening a new tab and searching Google for definitions, which no longer serves results from the Free Dictionary among the top search results anyway. I'm glad I thought to look for this extension and that someone thought to create it in the first place!
- (2017-10-16) Jason Lantz: Have it for my Iphone and love it.
- (2017-04-13) nineball039: No longer works with AdBlock enabled as of April 2017.
- (2016-11-29) didier spaeter: je fait comme tous le monde ils ont certainement raison
- (2016-09-26) D Shah: very very useful.
- (2016-07-23) Eugene Lee: MORE THAN WORDS CAN SAY MY THANK YOU TO FARLEX MY BEST GUARDIAN ANGEL FOR WATCHING ME MORE THAN I LEARN FROM U <3 3ug3n3 l33
- (2016-06-28) Dinh Thuc: The word definition is great. But I prefer on-screen pop up. That's perfect if this extension has 2 interface options: pop up & new window.
- (2016-05-26) Ahmed Hammi: extension fiable
- (2016-05-21) Shri.Dr.MUPPANENI KARUNAKAR: Thank you!good day.
- (2016-04-09) BARECHE Jo: C'est très utile
- (2016-02-16) Vejendla VijayaRao: wonnnderful
- (2016-01-29) Rakesh Agarwal: love this dictionary."It is much more elaborate and quicker than many others I have seen. It has everything a person would desire from a dictionary includes thesaurus too a dictionary with everything rolled into one.This actually is dictionary.com application...cool.
- (2016-01-21) Kyle Beck: I like it because it opens a new window. An option to make an on-screen pop up would be okay I guess, but I like to use the thesaurus too, so I like being directed to the website. It's easier to bounce around different words and definitions. I don't personally need to consult the dictionary enough to justify needing on-screen popups. You also get a better definition this way; you have multiple definitions rather than just the one the pop up gives you, which means you can't be given one that's out of context.
- (2015-12-25) M M: muy buen diccionario
- (2015-11-06) Arun Wahi: The Chrome extension of TheFreeDictionary.com is wonderful. Saves the time spent to open the dictionary in a new tab while reading web pages.
- (2015-10-20) Roma Schreibikus: New tab on every click, seriously? This is 2015 for god sake.
- (2015-08-23) Kyle Oizarro: Buenìsimo, fabuloso, excelente...
- (2015-05-27) ngoc bao: Great
- (2015-05-20) Kaleb Jen: I am a personal supporter of The Free Dictionary.
- (2015-02-26) Alwi Kosasih: If its possible to just give the definition on pop up or something, it would be more great. Sometimes opening definitions on many new tabs are annoying.
- (2018-06-05, v:1.2) Pimpinan Ketua: Bahasa Indonesia
Halo Relawan,, Hubungi Kami Jika ada Kesalahan Kata Bahasa Indonesia?
- (2018-02-12, v:1.2) Lori Bowman: broken ribs
what does left Basilar subsemental atelectasis mean?
- (2018-02-05, v:1.2) Magnus Oxlund: Default Keyboard Shorcut, e.g., "Ctrl+S"
I'm using the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl+S" to launch the extension. It's even faster than opening a new tab and searching Google for a definition, which no longer serves the Free Dictionary results among the top search results anyway. I imagine not many people are aware that you can assign keyboard shortcuts to extensions, at least I didn't until recently, so I think it would be an improvement for those who like using shortcuts to have one enabled in the Free Dictionary extension by default.
- (2016-10-13, v:1.2) Sahib Valiyev: cltr+double click
Hi, How can I add 'Ctrl' key for open new tab? Best.
- (2016-08-29, v:1.2) OMar Elgazzar: Result in place
is there any chance to develop a mechanism to show the translation of the word in place without opening a new tab/window ??
- (2016-01-16, v:1.2) Mr Garandel: Pro version
How can I get the pro version?