Surprisingly easy email protection and control for Gmail.
Easily protect Gmail messages and attachments, and maintain control wherever they’re shared. At Virtru, we understand that data is an organization’s most valuable asset and sharing it is critical for business success. But sharing data creates significant risk. We believe no one should have to choose between protecting data and sharing it. We help more than 20,000 organizations, large and small, across almost every industry, protect data wherever it’s created or shared so they can collaborate with confidence. Privacy Ensure Gmail messages and attachments stay private so you don’t have to trust Google with your data. Compliance Maintain compliance with data privacy regulations such as HIPAA, GDPR, CJIS, ITAR, CCPA, FERPA, CMMC, NIST, and more. Secure, Seamless Sharing Protect Gmail messages and attachments and maintain control wherever they’re shared - both internally and externally, beyond Google. End-to-End Encryption Data-centric protection and object-level encryption for email messages and attachments directly within the Gmail client with a simple Chrome extension. Granular Access Controls Set expiration, disable forwarding, and watermark attachments with recipients’ names to deter them from leaking sensitive files. Instant Revocation Revoke access to messages and attachments immediately when emails are sent in error, or after the data within has become more sensitive. Persistent File Protection Keep attachments protected and controlled anywhere files are shared and stored (i.e. Gmail, Google Drive, desktops, network drives, and more) to ensure compliance with data privacy regulations and privacy throughout the full collaboration lifecycle. Data Loss Prevention (DLP) Automatically enable encryption with DLP rules that detect and protect sensitive data or reinforce security awareness with alerts that warn users to encrypt email. Contact us to learn more or try Virtru at your organization: https://www.virtru.com/contact-us/ By clicking the “Install” button above, or by otherwise downloading or installing the Virtru software referenced above, you consent to be bound by the Virtru Terms of Service (https://www.virtru.com/terms-of-service), which governs your access to and use of the Virtru software. If you are downloading or installing the Virtru Software, or otherwise accepting the Virtru Terms of Services, on behalf of an entity (such as your employer), you represent to Virtru that you have the legal authority to accept that Virtru Terms of Service on behalf of that entity.
- (2021-08-09) Pius Gbenoba: Good experience.
- (2020-11-17) john lee: Used to work fine, until this weekend: Here's the error msg that I'm getting: sprintf() will be removed in the next major release, use the sprintf-js package instead.
- (2020-09-18) Kevin Reilly: Does not work if recipient isn't using Gmail and has the extension installed. No good for me.
- (2020-04-03) Cyrena Latham: Since 2018 people have been complaining about this.... STILL HAPPENING IN 2020!!! Gmail stops functioning, emails won't send and AREN'T saved to drafts. You lose the entire email if you don't realize what's happening because after you THINK you sent it, a brand new email pops up that you have to go through to unlock everything as if you're the intended receiver, not the creator, and then have to copy & paste and create a whole brand new email to try and get it to send.... at least 2-3 more times, in that order. I tried to contact their support, but after typing out all of the info, I click on the button to submit and nothing happens. Obviously it's a company wide thing and they don't care.
- (2019-10-24) Liam Groen: Very good
- (2019-10-21) Exactly what I needed, thank you for making it free!!!!
- (2019-03-17) Aiden Dennis: I like it because It protects me from hackers and viruses.
- (2018-12-05) Michael J: I really like Virtru - but it totally conflicts with the new gmail interface. With Virtru chrome extension enabled and gmail using the new (now mandatory) interface - gmail stops working. Clicking anything in gmail (eg Compose) does nothing. Disabling the Virtru extension solves the problem. Switching to the old gmail interface (back when you could) also resolved the issue. I'd love to use Virtru, but obviously if you can't use gmail, then it's pointless. Also - there are features such as disabling forwarding or creating an expiration date on your emails that are shown as greyed out options in Virtru when you send an email. I believe these require a pro subscription - but good luck to you if you can figure out how to get that for the personal gmail version (ie not g suite).
- (2018-11-18) Simple to use and highly effective method of managing information - I have now implemented the solution for my enterprise
- (2018-10-16) Shaya Klechevsky: Was working more or less ok with the old gmail layout (was getting weird rendering on the compose window) but now that the gmail UI has been force updated for everyone, the chrome plugin doesn't seem to work anymore. Any ideas on when to expect a fix?
- (2018-08-31) Heather Couturier: I really loved this until I realized I could no longer edit or add canned response emails. I use this function a lot as I need to send the same, exact emails out to various people for a number or reasons. I had to remove the app.
- (2018-03-16) Mathieu Bourhis: It breaks gmail search "Exact phrase like this" is searched as Exact OR phrase OR like OR this I'd rather filter gmail as intended without the app and decrypt manually.
- (2018-01-16) Casey Loveland: Works well.
- (2017-11-29) Cory Norris: So east to use. Gives you options that no other secure emails source does. I never leave reviews but had to, because I can't believe its not more widely used.
- (2017-11-24) Easy to use but keeps switching itself on and encrypting emails that don't require encryption which is very annoying. Possibly down to how my organize has chosen to configure it but at very least I would expect a warning and option to send the email without encryption. Without this I end up having to disable the add-in except when I need it.
- (2017-10-23) Lynn Deman: Works very well with little to no configuration. A very elegant one button solution to encrypting gmail messages.
- (2017-10-14) Andrew S Keenan: woks well
- (2017-08-16) Michael Sagaser (Mike): I think it's one of the better solutions out there. It isn't without issue, though. For instance, in testing, I've not been able to revoke access once the recipient opened the email. Also, the customized intros haven't worked, either. Customized intros are supposed to be the part of the body text that isn't encrypted. I've never been able to get it working. I've only really tested in Chrome, not Firefox.
- (2017-06-20) Douglas Turner: Horrible, I mean Horrible customer support... I am on email number 10 just trying to cancel. This was after their software crashed 4 of our clients computers, and they refused to give us a call back. Our emails are not getting read, if you customers or vendors are sophisticated at all, it will take 5 minutes for them to read your email. We are moving to Paubox it is seamless and background based only. Now this is something that works we tried it out for a week and could not believe how responsive they are and how well the system works no need to choose what to encrypt it all gets encrypted. WOW just wow, it makes me sick that we stuck it out so long with VIRTRU we made so many of our clients and vendors angry just because we were trying to be HIPAA compliant.
- (2017-04-06) chad tunis: works as advertised
- (2017-02-13) Wei Li: worst install experience. went to the website but could not find where to install it. eventually had to google to find a way for installation.
- (2017-02-10) Michael Johnson: It seemed to work. But it took 5 minutes to decrypt a draft of my email. Chrome kept saying it wasn't responding. But it eventually worked.
- (2016-11-09) Rasa Aleksic: best
- (2016-10-05) Prevents Gmail from printing messages
- (2016-08-30) Faisal Mahsud: The idea of not sending passwords is great! Easy to setup with great features such as time based expirations for sent mail ... Well Done!
- (2016-08-26) Frank LoCascio: Does so much more then just end-to-end encription
- (2016-06-16) Chris Richards: I'm not sure what the negative reviews were expecting. This gives you a very secure solution without having to send everyone passwords, or using a separate email for secure (like Proton). Ideal for exchange of private information, intellectual properties, and that grocery list you encrypted just cuz.
- (2016-05-04) Murdoch Macleod: Fast and simple, with nothing to configure.
- (2016-04-19) Aigars Ansbergs: very good tool for business
- (2016-02-17) Manuel Parada: Great tool for business or personal email. No password needed on the receiving which makes it easier for receiver to read and reply and not remembering passwords.
- (2015-11-27) Mitch Miller: Excellent Software. The best.
- (2023-03-20, v:10.0.11) Erica Kramer: Error #001
Recevied this error, Not able to send composed emails with extension enabled. Essentially need to quit out of gmail and go back in for it to work.
- (2023-03-17, v:10.0.11) Lydia Radke: Unable to activate Virtru
I attempted to access Virtru today but received the following message: Virtru must be activated to enable protection. I have a business account that includes Virtru. Please advise.
- (2022-11-23, v:10.0.8) Ric Yao: From an extremely disappointed and irate customer
I received an email advising me to download the on-boarding checklist. I did. After that, I was advised to install the software. I clicked the install button. I noticed an item that mentioned for Google Chrome. Does this mean I could not use Edge for Virtu? That if I use Edge, I have to go through the process of learning another software like outlook? I told your representative that I am not tech savvy. I sure wish I did not paid for that 1 year subscription for 55 users. I emailed your account representative to give me a call, and nothing. To think that I never gave him any difficulty to bag the deal. I never even looked for a competitor. Anyway, no use crying over spilled milk. Just like the others, sales representative is only visible prior to the sale and after the sale Houdini takes over. I know it's a long shot, but tomorrow, I'll ask my bank to recover the payment I made to Virtu and look for another brand.
- (2022-11-22, v:10.0.8) Eastside Carpet: RE: Adding To Chrome
I cannot add the extension to chrome
- (2022-11-09, v:10.0.8) Kaitlin Crisler: Automatic Encryption
Emails are automatically encrypting if the email contains a string of 15 numbers. Is there anyway to stop this from happening? There are several clients that we service who cannot read encrypted messages.
- (2022-09-16, v:10.0.7) Jeanne Baxter -DHS- Anne Arundel County: Virtru not currently working
I have been using Virtru wonderfully the past 2 weeks or so, but today it is not showing up as an option and I cannot secure send my emails. Thank you for any help you can provide.
- (2022-09-06, v:10.0.6.0) Hillari Langford: reactivation on PC
I am told to reactivate virtru by clicking the reactivate button but then nothing happens. It does not reactivate.
- (2022-05-12, v:10.0.3) Tracy Cahoon: Virtru access is lost
I need to send an encrypted document, but my Virtru access has disappeared. Please help.
- (2022-05-04, v:10.0.3) DrBolfek Anela: My virtru is lost
Hi, for some reason I do not have virtu on my gmail account any longer - please help I am at [email protected]
- (2022-05-04, v:10.0.3) catherine permin: virru
- (2022-03-14, v:10.0.1) Timothy Barc: virtru email protection
Can't get the plug-in on my screen, can you send step-by-step instructions on how to set this up?
- (2022-03-13, v:10.0.1) rose g: Lost Virtru connection and unable to use presently though I paid for annual membership
Thought I had Virtru but somehow it got lost Not sure what I did. I paid for the annual membership. Please help to reinstall. Thanks, Rose Ghilardi
- (2022-03-01, v:10.0.1) PAULA S Wichick: VIRTRU
CANNOT ACTIVATE VIRTRU.
- (2022-02-21, v:10.0.1) Jody M Langton: Virtu Extension issues
My extension broke after the 2/17 update. Now when I try to add the ext back, I get an error that the extension cannot be moved into the directory.
- (2022-01-21, v:9.3.0) Jyotiprakash Nayak: Can I integrate this with java.
Kindly reply me ASAP.
- (2021-11-07, v:9.2.9) Janice Williams: ACTIVATION
KEEP GETTING MESSAGE TO CONTACT ADMISTRATOR EVEN THOUGH IT HAS INSTALLED IT WILL NOT ACTIVATE
- (2021-10-14, v:9.2.7) Ismael Figueroa: Gmail compose spell check
When I have the Virtru extension installed, spell check in Gmail won't work properly. Specifically, when a word is misspelled, there is a red dotted underline under the word. You would then right-click the word to correct it. When I right-click the word nothing happens. By process of elimination, I have narrowed this down to the Virtru app. This only happens when I compose an email in Gmail, though. While writing problem statement out, here in the chrome store, I have corrected a few misspellings the same way I would in Gmail and it works fine. Is this something you can help out with? Regards,
- (2021-09-23, v:184.108.40.206) Nikki Rosenson: Can't install on Chrome
Hi, I keep getting the message: Virtru Email Protection is blocked by the administrator. Not sure what to do. I'm trying to install via Chrome. And, I don't have a current enough operating system to install via the other option. Help! Nikki
- (2021-09-20, v:220.127.116.11) Mark Drummey: Extension stopped working
Kept getting error 2014 trying to send messages. Removed and re-added extension. Extension will not reactivate.
- (2021-07-26, v:9.2.4) always on
Is there a way to make the Secure send through VIRTRU the default option, or will I always need to click the toggle button?
- (2021-03-24, v:18.104.22.168) Adrian - Mental Health Center: Can I use Virtu on Mac? (In Chrome for Gmail).
How do I use on Mac (in Chrome for Gmail)? Is link the same?
- (2021-03-23, v:22.214.171.124) Juan Victoriano: Issue with Virtru enabled on Chrome for Gmail
We're experiencing issues sending secure emails with Virtru. Although it appears to send normally, my recipients receive blank emails. In the sent box, the email appears blank with no content. Please let me know how this can be resolved.
- (2021-03-22, v:126.96.36.199) Comunicaciones Fenasopadres: No veo Virtru en mi correo
Estimado desarrollador A pesar de tener activado VIRTRU en mi correo, no puedo visualizarlo para su activación o desactivación cuando voy a redactar cualquier correo. Agradezco me ayuden a resolver este inconveniente
- (2021-03-03, v:188.8.131.52) Cassandra Stish: Encryption process is hanging
Good afternoon, I've been having issues with Virtru ever since the chrome update yesterday, Mar 2, 2021. Attempting to send an email freezes up on the "Encrypting email" screen. Do we need to uninstall and reinstall Virtru extension when the browser is updated?
- (2021-02-15, v:184.108.40.206) Malcolm Newton: CRM and Firefox
does this work with Firefox? Also how do I get to work with my CRM system so I can send emails securely through the CRM
- (2021-02-04, v:220.127.116.11) Beth Andrew: Error
I had the Virtru extension installed, however it is no longer installed (I did not uninstall). I have tried to install it again and continue to get this error message. An error has occurred Package is invalid: 'CRX_SIGNATURE_VERIFICATION_FAILED'.
- (2021-01-14, v:18.104.22.168) Radhika Sampath: Error Package is invalid: 'CRX_SIGNATURE_VERIFICATION_FAILED'.
Im getting this error when I try to add the extension Package is invalid: 'CRX_SIGNATURE_VERIFICATION_FAILED'. Please let me know how this can be fixed,
- (2020-12-18, v:22.214.171.124) George Wong: Adding Virtru Chrome Extension - Package Error
When I try to install the Virtru extension in Chrome from the Chrome Web Store with the Chrome Version 87.0.4280.88 (Official Build) (64-bit), I receive the following error: Package is invalid: 'CRX_SIGNATURE_VERIFICATION_FAILED'. I tried to reload but the same error exits
- (2020-12-17, v:126.96.36.199) Tahisha Stewart: Virtru emails
I do I set up a new email with Virtru if the option is not there?
- (2020-12-16, v:188.8.131.52) Charlotte Feichtmann: help
I can't seem to set this up correctly. Can someone walk me through this? Charlotte
- (2020-11-10, v:184.108.40.206) Bernice Lee: Virtru Email Setup
I am having problems opening secure message through virtru. Please can someone call me at 434-336-1103. Bernice Lee
- (2020-10-14, v:220.127.116.11) Nette Piteg: Virtru Disabled
It's saying, " Virtru has been disabled for your domain, contact your IT Administrator:"