Use Messenger.com at night! A UNOFFICIAL night mode for Facebook's web app. We have no affiliation with Facebook.
A NOTE TO NEW & CURRENT USERS: - Hi all, it seems that Facebook is planning a big change to Messenger, which may include Messenger.com. If that happens, this extension will invariably break. If Facebook provides their own dark theme, then I'd love to thank everyone who used and contributed to this extension and it was fun while it lasted! If there is still no native night theme supported, I will try my best to re-establish functionality within 1-2 weeks or so. Please understand that it may take some time. Cheers, love you all. - Secondly, because of the shocking number of copy-cat extensions out there, I've decided to hide the source code of this extension BUT if you have any concerns, please shoot me a message and I'd be happy to show you the code. REGARDING THE BROWER HISTORY PERMISSION REQUEST: - There are some users who understandably are concerned about one of the permissions requested from this extension. At the time of this extension's initial dev, accessing the Tabs API - which was necessary for me to make sure this extension ONLY activates on Messenger.com and not your other websites as you browse around - sent the warning message to users that I'd be able to "read your browsing history." This extension doesn't actually ingest/read/track/save your history in ANY way. - In any case, I believe the Tabs API is no longer necessary to enable this functionality, so I've begun to roll out a release that reduces the requested permissions. If you are still concerned, please feel free to message me at [email protected] I take user privacy seriously. At the same time, this is a side project for me, so I ask your patience as I try to get to your request. Cheers. --- Night Messenger is an UNOFFICIAL Night Mode for Messenger.com. Simply click the icon to use. As of v1.2.5, this extension can be now considered "stable". DETAILED INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS 1. Install by clicking "Add To Chrome." 2. Go to Messenger.com and sign in. (If you already have the window open, refresh it!) 3. Click the extension's icon. 4. You should now be in Night Mode. Yay! FEATURES IN THE WORKS: - UPDATED EXTENSION ICON: Let's face it, it looks pretty basic right now. RELEASE NOTES: v1.3.3 - Some color fixes, begin deploying reduced permissions. v1.3.2 - Enabled custom colors, fixed more broken elements (from Facebook's updates to Messenger.com) v1.3.1 - Facebook's new styles (big bold text, etc) are starting to creep in. Fixed some things to clean it up! Also, added a Makefile to the source code to speed up and automate some of the building stuff! v1.3.0 - Miscellaneous fixes. Thanks to the following for filing feedback and issues: henriklb, zorawar87, BlinkSun, blakebuthod, thepcwiz101. v1.2.9 - Thank you to Phat Tran for the awesome contribution and PR! v1.2.8 - Fixed emoji padding - thanks Alexander for the PR! v1.2.7 - Added icons! And minified images! And minified CSS! This means faster loading everytime you load. v1.2.6 - Routine update, adding back and correcting old styles. Behind the scenes optimizations for more rapid development using gulp. v1.2.5 - YouTube video demoing the installation of the extension has been added. Also, as per user "Andy M's request, the permissions have been reduced to just Messenger.com as they should have been. Thanks Andy! Also - to all users - in the interest of clarity, please remember that if you have any concerns about how your data is being exposed to this extension, you can check the link to the code at the bottom of this post. The code open-source. v1.2.4 - Reverted a "Border" that was added around each message by a Facebook update. v1.2.3 - Tweaked UI CSS for new elements that have since been added; added subtle animation for new unread messages. v1.2.2 - Tentative visual update with a new color scheme! v1.2.1 - Fixed a bug with initial load (thank you Rebecca!). Removed dependency on jQuery and now uses Vanilla JS. Opted to use ID instead of CLASSNAME for nightmessenger file. v1.2.0 -Saved State has now been implemented. Now, your on/off preference should be saved to the cloud. Also: removed unnecessary files, modified permissions to allow for the "saving" feature. v1.1.4 - Bug fixes (derp). Coverage of CSS elements is nearly complete. v1.1.3 - Bug fixes. More elements have been switched over. Certain behind the scenes optimizations should make the extension toggle more responsively. V1.1.2 - Bug fixes. Optimized performance a little bit. Removed annoying Messenger mobile app banner. V1.1.1 - Bug fixes. Changed the way that "night mode" was applied/removed in the background. Link to the code on Github: https://github.com/aflashyrhetoric/nightmessenger
- (2020-01-19) Stef Channel: I just googled dark messenger with thoughts "there must be something" and it is working perfect. Thank you.
- (2020-01-16) Fishy: not working
- (2020-01-07) Jakob Kielland: All in all very good extension. A few issues with text not being changed to a light color (makes it hard to use features such as polls), and some text still having white background (descriptors for replies), but this doesn't ruin the experience. Hopefully these will be fixed, but still a very good add-on at the moment.
- (2020-01-03) Owen Y: Great extension but has many obvious ways for improvement especially for group chats... 1. When someone replies to a message using the quoting tool, the replied part becomes a white line 2. For group chats, under the People menu on the bottom right, all the names of the people are in dark black and cannot be read with the existing dark grey background. 3. Same issue with the black text for the description under Group Options on the right panel. Those are the most obvious improvements that can be made but I will see if I can find more. Thanks!
- (2019-12-19) Lachy Vass: Does what it promises :)
- (2019-12-11) Matej Adzima: Simple, just works as intended. Huge thanks man!
- (2019-11-17) Josué Peña: Muy buena extensión, el único problema es que tarde un poco en cargar, pero es muy buena.
- (2019-11-12) Rafał J: Not working for messenger only webpage
- (2019-11-09) Waree Sethapun: When someone replied to you, there will be a "Name" replied to, highlighted in a white bar, distracting.
- (2019-11-07) David Guardiola: This extension is truly amazing 5 stars for sure!! Just a note that when you reply to someone's message line line containing "you replied to personsName" is all white in an otherwise perfect black background. It may have been mentioned before but I thought i'd mention it anyways. Thanks for the killer extension!
- (2019-11-01) NotAlainah: Perfect for y'all. Since i guess dark mode doesnt exist on the pc version of messenger
- (2019-10-29) Skhan Kutlutan: Awesome
- (2019-10-27) Andrew Sapountzoglou: You sound fix the like. It appers white.
- (2019-10-16) Liam Conway: Finally, a decent dark mode for messenger, other extensions that claimed to offer dark mode did not work. This one is perfect!
- (2019-10-13) Dany Biltawi: I absolutely adore this extension. I don't know how I haven't found it before!! My eyes struggle to adjust to the harsh white light of messenger on my desktop, and my primary device is my mac, so i message on it frequently. This has honestly saved my life and i've been searching for something to do this for yeaaaaarss. Thank you!!!
- (2019-10-03) Pj Bonner: Great App! Only a few things I would change: darkening the search bar a bit and maybe also the icons. Might be a little bit of work but I think it would really help to look a bit darker
- (2019-09-25) Birinder Nijjar: Y'all's doing the Lord's work. Thank you for such a simple modern solution to modern problem!
- (2019-09-23) Ángel López: no funciona 22 setiembre 2019
- (2019-09-17) Jem Roberto Acosta: This app is a life saver(or an eye saver maybe)! Thanks alot Kevin!
- (2019-09-15) Tom Kraayenbrink: Love it, it has saved my eyes from being blasted to oblivion and back.
- (2019-09-01) DereC: Although this may be replaced by the actual facebook dark mode it will add, I am glad to say it works as intended.
- (2019-08-31) Hank Hill: Pretty fantastic. Such a difference during night time. I really don't know why they didn't implement this themselves but whatever, this works really well!
- (2019-08-24) Patrick Winnem: Works perfectly. Thanks!
- (2019-08-23) Konrad: Cool is it.
- (2019-08-23) David Snyder: Only wish I had known about this sooner!
- (2019-12-09, v:1.3.2) Mosaab Boumerdas: Brave browser
it works great !! amazing ! can you just check with the sent icon, its not displayed well for me.
- (2019-11-22, v:1.3.2) Karma Smith: not working
google chrome updated recently and now this won't work.
- (2019-11-01, v:1.3.2) Artūrs Vanags: Reply to message color issue
When replying to a message, background color for 'Your replied to ...' is white
- (2019-11-01, v:1.3.2) Artūrs Vanags: Default emoji minor bug.
1)Default thumbs up emoji is posting with white square 2) When press and hold default thumbs up emoji, it increases size with blue color, then changes to gray, but with white square. 3) When change default emoji, the 'User changed emoji to..' text matches background color.
- (2019-10-14, v:1.3.2) Kevin Li: Messenger Polls Not Displaying Correctly
I noticed that when someone makes a poll in messenger, the poll options are not visible when dark mode is on.
- (2019-10-11, v:1.3.2) Elie Teyssedou: New version
It seems that the css has been updated. :)
- (2019-10-01, v:1.3.2) Heather Palmeter: Permissions
I came here to ask about the browsing history permissions but I see that the question has already been asked, but not answered. If you could explain the need for that specific permission, I would appreciate it. Also, to be a conscientious member of the community, you should really list such things in your main page description.
- (2019-09-15, v:1.3.2) Tom Kraayenbrink: Nickname or polls/events text colour doesn't swap and is the same dark grey as the background
The little comments that are shown when someone gets a nickname changed doesn't seem to show up correctly. It's the same with Polls and Events etc.
- (2019-07-13, v:1.3.2) TheGleely: Browsing history perms?
Hi there, it's been over a year since your last answer about browsing history permissions and I can see it still requires that. Could you please give an answer as to why you need browsing history instead of just referring us to your github repository? I'd like to know why you want to browse my history for a purely cosmetic plugin for an app that already has enough issues with unwanted collection of personal data. Thanks.
- (2019-06-28, v:1.3.2) Mandy J: Toggle chat text colour black/white
Hi, I was just thinking that if possible, a feature to toggle the chat text colour between black and white would be awesome; some of the custom chat colours, while they show up really well against the darker background, can't really be used because the text on them is white and there's not enough contrast. I don't know if that's something that's feasible but I thought I'd mention it. Thanks for a great addon - I actually felt my eyes relax as soon as I switched it over!
- (2019-06-26, v:1.3.2) Terry McDonald: Thumbs up emoji icon not showing up
This started happening recently. The default thumbs up emoji icon doesn't show up when night mode is turned on. It doesn't matter if it is from me or another user. If I change to the lightning bolt or football (the only two I tested), it works fine. If I turn off night mode, the thumbs up is there for all that posted it, but as soon as night mode is turned on, the thumbs up icons disappear. I tried with a couple different colors as well and there was no change.