Prevents third-party buttons embedded by sites from tracking you until you actually click on them.
Did you know that buttons like these allow Facebook, Google, LinkedIn, and others to track your online browsing activities on *every site* that includes one of these buttons, even if you never click the buttons and (in some browsers) even if you have third-party cookies disabled? ShareMeNot is a browser extension designed to prevent third-party buttons (such as Facebook's “Like” or Twitter's “tweet” button) embedded by sites across the Internet from tracking you until you actually click on them. Unlike traditional solutions, ShareMeNot does this without completely removing the buttons from the web experience. Note that this extension is part of a research project and not targeted for general use. We welcome your feedback and will use it to improve our tool.
- (2016-08-25) Simon Rauchbart: exactely what I was looking for
- (2015-05-06) Davide Bortot: Sarebbe utile poter impostare una whitelist per i siti di cui ci fidiamo.
- (2014-07-24) Brian Baskin: Works very well, so much so that I forget that it's running and that most sites even have those buttons. However, one major issue: I cannot log into my Plex.tv account with this running. Once I get to the user login page, ShareMeNot hides the entire page and just shows its logo. Unfortunately, then, I'm disabling the extension.
- (2012-09-13) Lory Lamkin: I downloaded this, and the button was in my address line, and now it is gone! Perhaps I'm doing something wrong???
- (2012-09-11) THANK YOU!!!
- (2012-09-13, v:1.0.1) Lory Lamkin: Not working...
I downloaded this, and the button was in my address line, and now it is gone! Perhaps I'm doing something wrong???