Experience reddit with new modern list and grid view interfaces that focus on bringing the content to you.
CUSTOMIZE YOUR REDDIT EXPERIENCE SHINE for Reddit lets you choose layout according to your liking. At a glance there are three layout styles: • List - most similar to original Reddit, but with modern feel • Reader - two column layout, much like Google Reader or Gmail, where you can see the list on one side and content with comments on the other • Grid - which best suites subreddits that contain a lot of pictures. On top of it, every type of content you can view and comment without opening new tabs like in old Reddit design and in List/Reader mode, even without opening popups like in new Reddit design. LIST OF FEATURES Here’s a list of current most important features in SHINE: • Modern design, inspired by Google’s Material Design • Themes - over 10 themes to choose from • Colours - pick one from 13 colour accents • Icons for different post types - you can change the look of post icons • Sticky sidebar - never lose the sidebar again • Keyboard shortcuts to navigate comments, posts, upvote and downvote, search and more • Infinite loading • Blurring NSFW images in grid mode • Change number of columns and spacing in grid mode • Layout type is saved per subreddit 1.7.0 UPDATE: 20/10/2018 - Info and small tutorial for new reddit design - Added support for the new colored post flairs - New theme - Space Gray - New color - Dark green - Grid spacing settings - Keyboard shortcuts for browsing next/prev posts and upvoting/downvoting (thanks to y1n0) - Keyboard shortcuts for searching, toggling sidebar and multireddits - New tab in settings that shows list of current keyboard shortcuts - Never lose sidebar again - new setting that makes sidebar always in right position (so you won't have to scroll back up to see it) - Modern white with modern style is now default config - Minor changes for theme settings panel - Author hovers are now being properly themed - Settings panel is now being properly themed - Added feedback for saving posts in grid view (thanks to skeemer) - Fixed line-height issues on r/all and r/popular - Fixed weird overflow for own posts (disable inbox replies etc) - Fixed button sizes for v.redd.it and a lot of minor visual fixes - Fixed empty tabs being opened when using specific buttons - Fixes for i.redd.it GIFs. Solution is a bit slow, but should work well. - Fixes for crossposted v.redd.it videos. - Fixes for displaying v.redd.it videos in grid. - Sometimes when opening comments with short message layout broke. Should be fixed now - Possibly fixed wrongly stylized mod page (?) Need more data though - Fixed subscribe button showing multiple times on /subscriptions - Minor fixes for Grid - Styling for new layout is now disabled - Known bugs: Old Nightmode style is still unfinished, I had no time to work on it. If you care about the old nightmode, please message me. - Known bugs: [view] button in comments with links still does not work. I know about it, did not yet have time to fix it. I suggest using Imagus for Chrome or Firefox for the time being. PREVIOUS VERSION: 01/11/2017 - New design for list view - flat (go to customization options) - Post icons style selector (4 styles to choose from) - Next/Previous comment navigation, you can turn it on in Shine Settings (turning it on for first time requires refreshing the page) - Use arrow left and right for next and previous comment navigation - Added possibility to limit loading of next items for each view (turn it on if Shine is eating too much RAM for you) - New white theme - Three new colors - Search in Shine now allows to limit search to current subreddit - Breadcrumbs are now moved to the top - Colors are now redone, more vibrant and better looking in most cases - Upvote/Downvote arrows should be more visible now in all themes - Replaced old jQuery lib with proper one. - Your username should be more visible now on top - MaterialDesignIcons should load without delay (lib is now included) - Fixed numbering of posts - Fixed hover effect on view chooser - Removed recommended subreddit ad - Known bugs: Old Nightmode style is still unfinished, I'm really sorry! I'll get to it as next task. - Known bugs: Due to changes and cleanups in settings, your theme might reset to default one, sorry but this had to be done. HUGE UPDATE: 16/10/2017 - Theme and color selector - Support for clips.twitch.tv (both grid and list) - Support for few NSFW sources: pornhub.com, xhamster.com and xvideos.com (list view only for now) - This neat little window and updates notifications (you can disable them in options if - you find this annoying) - Third view type is now accessible without going to the options - "Hide Child Comments" should be more accessible in side comments view - Many icons were changed and should be more crips now - Replaced post icons to a themeable versions - v.redd.it support for Grid - It's now possible to select more columns in grid mode - Changed lines icon to Reddit Snu - Replaced SHINE text with Reddit Snu - Small animation on SHINE button hover - A bit more color integration with RES - Vimeo in grid mode is now fixed - Facebook image fixes - Small margin fixes for Firefox - Premium features unlocked for everyone - A lot of other fixes I can't really remember now - Removed Clean Dark Theme - All SVG files got removed - All unnecessary files were removed (jpg pictures and stuff) - Known bugs: Due to many changes, old nightmode (Legacy Night) is not looking as it should, I'm really sorry, it will be fixed in next version. Please, use any other black themes for now.
- (2020-03-24) IT Skino: Old reddit mixed with new reddit, with way limited features in both reddit itself but also other subreddits with customized stuff. Just bad.
- (2020-02-25) Chabon: Amazing work on this extension. Is there a chance a shortcut for "save post" is implemented?
- (2020-02-15) Maxim Prokopenko: This is a great extension. It really changes the whole reddit experience for the better.
- (2019-09-27) Azims: Consuming too much resources
- (2019-08-08) Steven B: Has potential, however without comment sorting and comment quick formatting, it's a hard pass from me.
- (2019-07-20) Ryan: I love that you can set the Dracula theme with your choice of accent color! Love Reddit and this is a great extension :) I also would be interested in supporting the Developers if there was a contribution option, or purchase option.
- (2019-07-09) Aaron Reeves: Overall it's very clean, I like it. Is there any way to sort comments though? Kind of a deal breaker for me at the moment.
- (2019-04-14) undergroundgandalf •: best reddit
- (2018-05-20) J Chinnis: Thank you for this! IMO it's better than the OG and works with the new site. The themes are amazing. Much appreciated! Cheers!
- (2018-04-20) Nourish Khan: Browsing reddit is now a more pleasant experience, instead of a visual trash fire.
- (2018-03-24) Best extension for Reddit ever! The added customization is even better than the "official" release. Well done new dev!
- (2018-03-15) David Zeissler: I like the features, but after having it run for a few minutes, it becomes a CPU hog?
- (2018-02-09) Vivek Kabra: GORGEOUSSS!!!!!!! One small issue i have is in material dark theme the up and down arrows are not inverted in colors and just blend in with the background
- (2017-11-21) Dżej Kuup: If you continue developing this great extension then I will find you and donate. This is a promise.
- (2017-11-18) Ross Mountjoy: this is the best solution to browsing reddit on my GalliumOs machine, please keep this in development, I will definitely pay you for this.
- (2017-11-08) Sergei Garcia: FANTASTIC WORK! SHINE, but without the nasty stuff added recently, and it's open source! I was fan of the original SHINE for Reddit (even paid for premium), though recent findings that the developer sold it and that it now comes loaded with malware and history tracking made me lose hope I'd never enjoy using Reddit with SHINE again... Thanks so much Dev, I just wish I could donate to support further development...
- (2017-10-31) Mark Blumenfeld: Awesome, much better than "official"!
- (2017-10-24) Zenek Kowalski: very nice
- (2017-10-23) Daniel Glasner: excellent work mate I'd be happy of you set up a donation system.
- (2017-10-18) Keith FitzGerald: I'm willing to pay for this. $5 is nothing.
- (2017-10-17) Youri Le Cottier: Great and getting better!
- (2017-10-14) John Kloppenburg: Brilliant! Thank you for keeping this alive. It looks so much nicer than normal reddit.
- (2017-09-30) Joshua Brougham: Back in business, everyone. This is the one to pick up! Great job, great job, great updates!
- (2017-08-14) Scott Herren: Thank you for saving this extension!
- (2017-08-11) Kristof dockx: Much appreciated!
- (2020-06-03, v:1.7.2) Stephen Kirby: v.redd.it videos are small
When opening v.redd.it video links in split view, the video is about 1/4 the actual side and up in the top left corner. Same issue in both Chrome and Microsoft Edge.
- (2020-03-24, v:1.7.2) Blue CB: Multireddit sidebar
Can you please provide a way to turn it off? It reduces the number of grid columns by one. The issue has previously been reported by Esdras Olivares. I was active on reddit for several months before it appeared. I thought I saw something saying that once you selected a sample, it would turn it off, but it is still there.
- (2019-10-01, v:1.7.2) Esdras Olivares: The multireddit sidebar (left one) cant be closed with shine enabled
The multireddit sidebar (left one) cant be closed with shine enabled
- (2019-07-18, v:1.7.2) Crispian Thorne: Grid view no longer working
When I click to the grid view all content disappears and the old way to get it back is to uninstall and reinstall Shine :(
- (2019-07-17, v:1.7.2) Leo Uhakheme: Dark mode?
Do you have any plans to add dark mode or color themes?
- (2019-06-28, v:1.7.2) Jeff Babcock: UI and theming bug
For some reason, I can no longer see search bars on the right side of the page and I can not change my theme.
- (2018-12-30, v:1.7.1) Kevin Tam: Options disabled?
The options button on the extension is grayed out so I can not access it. How do I get into the options?
- (2018-06-04, v:1.6.0) Next post shortcut
We have Left and Right arrow to scrub through comments within posts. But for users who use List view, hotkeys to scroll back and forth through POSTS would be great!
- (2018-05-26, v:1.6.0) - Slinger -: Scrollbar disappears
When I click a post, instead of expanding the post, the scrollbar disappears and I'm unable to navigate any further. This happens in any of the 3 views. Chrome Version 66.0.3359.181 (Official Build) (64-bit)
- (2018-05-10, v:1.6.0) Ben Almaguer: Save Button
I need a save button in grid view!! If it's there I can't seem to find it. I see in the other views but not grid view.
- (2018-04-15, v:1.6.0) Sean-Anthony Sutherland: Mod issue
I want to pin a post to the top of my subreddit, but the button i need is stuck floating underneath the "sort" menu, (top, best, new controversial, etc.).
- (2018-04-14, v:1.6.0) Simon J J: Not functioning properly
I'm on Windows 10 and this is my only Chrome Extension. It has worked great for months, but just today it seems that none of the customization options are working. Reddit sort of defaults back to it original style, but i can still adjust the text and link options. All the buttons have empty rectangle outlines and things just look janky in general. Wish I could attach an image