Provides a killfile for certain blogs.
The intention of this script is to hide the comments of commentors you, the reader, do not wish to hear from. In that respect, it's like an old usenet killfile. It does not affect what other visitors to the site will see. This is not a tool meant for handling spam, only for an individual comment reader to avoid having to see comments they don't wish to see. When the script works for a given blog, comments will have a [hush] link near the commentor's name. (visible only on mouseover!) Clicking on that will hide comments from that person from then on.
- (2018-03-22) Trey Palmer: Sadly no longer works on Charlie Stross' blog. It has made npr.org comments tolerable though.
- (2017-11-30) Ian R.: Works pretty well on Disqus. Would be perfect if it allowed wildcards and could distinguish non-logged-in posters.
- (2016-08-15) Gumball Watterson: So many assholes on Disqus. This helps for sites that haven't implemented block.
- (2016-07-04) Joe R: Has worked well with Disqus for quite a while. Despite the trolls' best efforts. Flood spam is hard to guard against, but once you see it and block, it works.
- (2016-06-17) Crash sometimes
- (2016-06-10) JL Hite: Something has changed on Discus? After hovering over an avatar the hush/block comment option does not appear for that user. Updated java but no joy. Hopefully this can be fixed. This is on OSX, does not seem to affect chrome on win10.
- (2015-10-10) Michael Jennings: Is there, is there, balm in Gilead? Tell me, tell me I implore. Spoke the KillFile, "Comment by disruptiveTroll blocked". Forevermore. Like an everlasting can of Troll-Be-Gone, Blog Comment Killfile is there.
- (2015-07-07) Jai: While I appreciate the effort, it does not work as would be helpful. Unfortunately, trolls on disqus have started using flood programs to post hundreds of comments in seconds. These are usually blank or slightly altered repeating text. In these cases, a page full of "Comment by XXX blocked" is just as disruptive as a page full of "XXX: Date-time - no message" If it actually hid the comments completely, I'd give 5 stars.
- (2015-06-16) dev1lsadv0cate: Works great on Disqus to block spammers.
- (2014-10-26) Jannick Munck: Important...ish, See edit on buttom. While this killfile is a godsend, it does run into a problem with disquis. Whenever a comment sections get over 50 and you have to press "load more comments", it is a 50/50 shot as to whether or not the killfile will still block them in the new comments. In fact, sometimes you see it block in the first 50, not block in 51-100, and then suddenly block again in comments 101-150. Edit: 2014 -oct. 26 Well, I don't know whether Disquis has upgraded, or this program has, but for the past the issue mentioned above has not reared its head.
- (2018-11-04, v:0.2.11) Patrick Bettinger: Can this be done/feature request
Is it possible to hush everyone by default? I know it might sound silly, but there's a troll who simply changes his handle with every post. It would make it easier to just block all, then unblock the ones you know are legit. Thanks
- (2017-12-10, v:0.2.11) MArtin futeresAMORE: is:
! R !
- (2016-09-17, v:0.2.9) Gene Smolko: I have to keep reblocking
Over a time, some commenters I've blocked become unblocked, not sure why. Is it cookies?
- (2016-07-16, v:0.2.9) Christina D.: Livejournal
Does this work for LiveJournal?
- (2016-06-15, v:0.2.9) Tony Hue: Disqus now supports user blocking
Hides comments, discussions, and notifications from blocked users. You can also manage blocked users in a settings page.
- (2016-06-10, v:0.2.9) JL Hite: hush/unhush goes away
On Discus if you hover over a user's avatar to see profile it removes the killfile options when you hover over the comment. Bad bug.
- (2016-05-29, v:0.2.9) Marsing 83639: Does it even work anymore?
I still get several posts from someone I hushed just yesterday. I thought this was suppose to allow me not to receive any posts from someone I hushed?
- (2016-05-08, v:0.2.8) StillMe: ...
If I "hush" a person are they able to see comments I post?
- (2016-04-08, v:0.2.8) activate
I have the killfile extension but how do you activate it :
- (2016-03-22, v:0.2.8) Marsing 83639: Still get through
Some comments on Breitbart that were blocked for constantly foul language seem to still get through using Disus
- (2015-10-22, v:0.2.6) not working
trying to use on a website that uses disqus and i can't figure out how to make it work. nothing in my address/tool bar and nothing comes up when i hover over comments i want to kill.