Life is too short, Tabs too many. Search, don't click!
TabTab Search : Life is too short, Tabs too many. Search, don't click! ------------- This extension lets you instead search through your opened tabs to jumb directly to the one you need right now. It's a [search engine](https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95655) associated with the 'tab' keyword. In practice, you enter `tab` in Chrome's address bar, then the <TAB> key, then a keyword which is part of the URL or website's name you are looking for You have bugs, issues, source code, pull requests ? Go here https://github.com/internaciulo/search-tab-in-chrome-s-omnibox Feedback is welcome You are a also a Mozilla Firefox user ? Good news, **%**keyword, inclueded by default, does the same thing Why and How you can use this Chrome Extension -------- Scenario : you begin to browse the web with Chrome for a while ; soon you need to go back to *that* tab but there are too many tabs to find quickly exactly the one you need. Sound familiar ? We know we have been there. Don't worry, to solve this *too many tabs* problem, there are a lot of complicated extensions that promise you that you will be able to work with hundreds of tabs : *Too Many Tabs, Tabs Outliner, Bookmark My Tabs, One Tab, TabMan Tabs Manger, Tab Manager, Project Tab Manger, 10+Tabs MASTER →Fast Speed Scroll w/LATER Tab, Resolver Tabs, Tab out, TabJump, TabCaroussel, IE Tab Multi* Or you can use this chrome extension, but I'm a bit ashamed to say that it is *really simple* campared to all those sophisticated extensions. The only thing it does is that when you enter in Chrome's Omnibox **"tab<tab>"** followed by **<one or many search term>**, it will display a list of all open tabs that contains those search terms. Upon pressing enter, the extension will select the first match and switch to that tab, so one need not type press down if the first match is desired.
- (2019-11-13) n ascentt: This is invaluable. Especially for those of us that constantly have dozens of tabs open. I couldn't live without it. I do wish there was a way to have it work with % like firefox but I'm pretty sure that's not possible on chrome.
- (2019-09-05) Leland Green: This does work great. However, I only used this infrequently and could never remember the "tricky" (actually simple!) "UI", which doesn't exist except via shortcuts. You have to go to the address bar, type the word "tab" and then press the <Tab> key and *then finally* enter your search. I found one that has a 1-click or 1-hotkey UI entry. Simply click the magnifying glass or pres Ctrl/Cmd-I to enter "Tab Search". (I'm not affiliated in any way.)
- (2019-09-02) Darrick Horton: Amazing! Perfect for people with lotssss of tabs and windows. I love it.
- (2019-06-08) Dwayne Lawrence: Excellent & simple tool to use! Thanks, jmfayard! :)
- (2019-02-10) diblidabliduu diblidabliduu: Doesn't take number searches..
- (2018-08-09) Peter Fedin: Unfortunately doesn't work with cyrillic (or other than latin) tab names and urls
- (2018-07-11) Simon Dingley: This extension is a god send for someone like me that usually averages around 100 tabs open at a time as it both helps me locate existing tabs but also helps me avoid opening duplicates.
- (2018-06-12) thorenjohn: useful, seems to work great. Thank you!
- (2018-05-19) Or Schiro: Still works great to quickly find an open tab. The omnibar is just so efficient. :-)
- (2018-03-31) Yutaro Takei: Good
- (2018-03-27) Valentin Degenne: only real computer scientists will understand
- (2018-03-01) James Wisdom: this one went from "interesting" to "essential" for me overnight. Essential for anyone who over-tabs, loses tabs, or just wants super-quick access to avoid tab fishing
- (2018-02-28) Abijah Perkins: Perfect. Preserves the existing URL upon completion of search. Use Ctrl-l to avoid involving the mouse, or Ctrl-t for a new tab which will disappear after search. Brilliant!
- (2017-11-27) 徐冬宏: Hope to support Chinese someday,
- (2017-09-19) Kalle Widell: It solves a real problem when having lots of open tabs up
- (2017-06-19) greg heil: Very useful! HOWEVER turning it on is VERY, unnecessarily, hard:-((
- (2017-06-18) AMAZING! Well made, works very quickly, and deletes the extra tab when you're done! Probably one of the best extensions I've ever used by far. Often times I even have 100 or more tabs open, and this flips right to it!
- (2017-06-12) Weil Lu: Now all I need is a tool to manage my search engines. The built-in search manager in chrome settings is not fluent especially when where is too many engines. Chrome will collect all the search urls automatically make it worse -_-||.
- (2017-05-11) Jonathan Almqvist: Works really well. Just ctrl+t and type tab then press the keyboard button tab. Wasn't completely obvious from instructions but it works. It does not search through the tab contents though, just the tab name or pdf name.
- (2017-04-30) Zahir khan: i love your extension , simply amazing
- (2017-03-16) Tomáš Peterka: Does exactly what it says - efficiently! Now Ctrl+L "tab" is in my muscle memory
- (2017-03-05) Geo R: Really helpful. I only wish there were different ways to search instead of typing "tab" in the address bar and pressing TAB. It would be great if there was a ctrl+f style hotkey or simply clicking on the extension icon to open it's own search box.
- (2017-02-06) Chuck Norris: not working
- (2016-12-05) Jarno Suni: Does not work with Chromium 53.0.2785.143-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1145 Tab merely moves focus away from the address bar.
- (2016-11-15) Tadho Muhammad: Doesn't work on my chrome (mac). Everytime I CMD+L to focus the omnibox, then press tab, it won't enter the tab character. Instead it goes to highlight my chrome extensions next to the omnibox. maybe it's because of I activated mac feature that allow me to tab all around the windows (I don't know what it called, set it several months ago and never touch it again). So maybe giving an option to change "tab tab" keystroke would be nice
- (2019-12-14, v:18) Jim Hoyle: White new windows are opening (white meaning crashed)
Not sure how to replicate, but perhaps if the computer is suddenly taken out of mains this might happen: TabTab finds tabs that do not exist anymore, in some sense. TabTab gives the puzzle icon after typing a keyword. Then, pressing enter, a new Chrome window opens. But the window remains completely white, no interface, no buttons, nothing. And the window crashes. What to do to reset the TabTab database? Or can you fix this bug, perhaps it should do additional checks every now and then to make sure the windows in the database really exist?
- (2019-11-18, v:18) Raffaele Rialdi: Does not find anymore the tab that are suspended
I also use "The Great Suspender" extension. In the past I could find also suspended tabs, more recently (don't remember exactly when) the suspended tabs are not found anymore. Could you please restore the old behavior and find also the tabs whose urls are like the following one? chrome-extension://klbibkeccnjlkjkiokjodocebajanakg/suspended.html#ttl=8%20alternatives%20to%20Sketch%20on%20Windows%20%7C%20Product%20Hunt&uri=https://www.producthunt.com/ask/233-best-windows-alternatives-to-sketch
- (2019-01-29, v:18) Sean Halle: Where are directions on how to use the extension?
I installed, but can't find how to invoke the search.. where's the documentation on how to use it?
- (2018-07-12, v:18) Sundar Rajan: Its not working
Hi, Is it working currently? I tried but its not exists.
- (2018-07-11, v:18) Simon Dingley: If tab not found don't delete my search query
Often when searching for a tab if it is not found I will hit escape to perform the same search on Google. The problem at the moment is that hitting escape when in TabTab Search mode deletes my search query causing me to have to retype it again. Otherwise, 5* for this great extension!
- (2017-11-27, v:18) 徐冬宏: Hope to support Chinese someday,
Hope to support Chinese someday,
- (2017-10-18, v:18) Vitaly Zdanevich: Always in ram
Hi, is it possible to use event page instead of background page? I do not want to waste my ram when not using your great extension.
- (2017-04-25, v:18) Geo R: Needs a hot key
Clicking in the address bar typing tab + TAB is very clunky. It would be much slicker if I could just CTRL+F or something like that and start typing my search term.
- (2017-02-07, v:18) Max Levy: Not working
I tried ^TabTab - but nothing happens, except for the browser to switch through the tabs... (Version 55.0.2883.87)
- (2016-11-09, v:18) Alfonso Beliz: Change the keyword shortcut for the extension
Awesome extension! Having the capacity to change the keyword would make it more customizable
- (2016-05-20, v:18) Brian Thyen: access/storage
Hi, does this plugin store anything in the cloud, provide access to any 3rd party to the information it has access to, or does it sit locally on the machine only?