Security for shortened links, simplified.
Shortened links can be hiding anywhere. With the Unshorten.link extension, any shortened link (such as bit.ly or t.co) you click on will be automatically expanded and analyzed for malware giving you a clear view of where the link is taking you. Unshorten will also automatically remove known tracking cookies from the URL. Unshorten keeps a list of over 300 popular link shortening services and is updated regularly. Once the Chrome extension is installed you will be automatically redirected to our link expansion page any time you click on a shortened link, accidentally or intentionally. This will clearly display where the shortened link is attempting to send you and give you a clear view into the security of the destination URL.
- (2021-04-26) Osamah Kiwan: I have been using last couple of days. It doesn't seem to work on bitly links on facebook, i have to copy the link, go to unshorten.link website and then paste to analyse.
- (2021-02-03) Shashank Saxena: Used to work well, but seems like the developers have stopped caring about it. Not worth it anymore, many popular links no longer work making it useless.
- (2020-10-23) Havilson Mascarenhas: Unfortunately it stopped working. Right now the only I got is a 404 error.
- (2020-10-09) Valentin R.: Getting an error for https://youtu.be/nIEcoi6cf2Q for example
- (2020-07-07) Duoof: It works as intended and is great, however it does not unshorten links that are websites such as adf.ly which redirects to fiaharam.net (a website), which this extension is not capable of unshortening.
- (2018-11-17) Ryan Lin: Doesn't do anything, can't get it to unshorten URLs.
- (2018-11-03) Hannibal Moot: I was really liking this extension up until this past week. It seems to only work about 10% of the time now for some reason. It keeps coming up with a timeout error, try again in 30 seconds (which never works btw). Don't know if it's just me or if others are experiencing this as well. Was this a Chrome update issue? Does the extension need a new update? Would love to have it functioning again as it really was a great service.
- (2018-09-26) Gersom Uzziel Garcia Muñoz: works but there are still shortener sites that are not unshortened yet, hope they add more shortener URLs to the list to be unshortened
- (2018-09-15) Howard Samuel: Fantastic service, easily one of the most useful apps that I have in my Chrome browser... Have not upgraded yet, but definitely plan on it in the future... Keep up the good work and I will support the cause by buying an upgrade as soon as I have some spare $$££ :) Meantime, I will give out recommendations as much as I can :)
- (2018-06-01) dan roger Rodal: it works but crashes often, will not pay for it before that is fixed.
- (2018-04-04) Evyatar Kaufman: I can't change any of the options in the options menu
- (2018-02-06) Chris Miller: The product works well, but when enabled this product is talking to a server spreading malware. The extension is communicating to 188.8.131.52 constantly. This IP has been serving malware and hosting botnets and pornography. This might be unrelated to the application itself, I am not sure. Regardless, I am not going to have any of my machines communicate with a server spreading malware, etc thousands of times per hour.
- (2018-01-19) ShadowAlpha100: Works as intended
- (2017-12-31) Josef H.: This is an excellent extension.
- (2017-11-24) Heider Dideriksen: Excelente!
- (2017-10-16) John L. Reed: I LIKE IT.THANK YOU!
- (2017-09-24) Aindriú Mac Giolla Eoin: Doesn't work
- (2017-09-24) Rhod Jones: stopped working, how do I remove it from Chrome?
- (2017-08-20) Aizad Iqbal: well some adfly were in infinite loop means the unshorten link was the same as original one, i like the idea but it would be better to add an option to see the original link in popup or a dialog box, also users should be able to rate the website and see the ratings so that one can know if the site is bad even without using cookies or not
- (2017-08-02) chaithanya katari: awesome but make bookmarks or recent files on small icons
- (2017-07-29) wahab someone: There should be a way to report other URL shorteners. For example, bit.do is not supported.
- (2017-06-27) Neil J: I thought Unshorten.link was going to display the expanded URL at the bottom of the browser-window where link destinations are usually displayed. Instead, you click on a shortened link, and a whole page pops up displaying the expanded URL in easy-to-read glorious color. Then, you can click the expanded URL or not, or just close the pop-up if your curiosity is assuaged, whatever you like. Also, easy to mouse-drag-select the expanded URL, and copy it without necessarily opening it. I think that's fine. Thanks.
- (2017-05-16) Nacho Potato: SAVED ME FROM MULTIPLE WEBSITES WOULD 100% RECOMMEND!!!
- (2017-04-04) Surgen intolerancias con la extensión HTTPS Everywhere
- (2017-02-24) Oli: Doesn work at all. useless
- (2017-02-20) Smart e-services: It should have an option to turn of temporarily rather than always on. Other than that its AMAZING!
- (2017-02-19) its so helpful thanks
- (2017-01-08) Kyle D: Great, but adf.ly keeps looping with the page.
- (2016-12-14) oleboy555: Great! now i can skip ad.fly links!
- (2016-11-20) Ryan Hollick: Currently not detecting/expanding "sh.st/" links, might they be able to get added to the links directory?
- (2021-07-26, v:3.0.2) vei opj: h
- (2021-04-09, v:3.0.2) USER1 1isNone: Productkey
Is deze extensie een betalende, zo niet waar moet ik dan mijn product code vandaan halen?
- (2020-10-01, v:3.0.2) Fusion Developer: Perhaps Unshorten.link can help with thtat. <---- typo + youtube link not working
https://youtu.be/pQrwHlbIL9E 404: File not found The page you're looking for can't be found. Maybe you got here from a broken link. Perhaps Unshorten.link can help with thtat. <--- "that" not thtat. Also, that youtube link gives me this error. 2 things for you guys to fix. Thanks.
- (2019-10-24, v:3.0.2) Ahmed ali_احمد علي: انا
- (2018-11-20, v:3.0.2) Ilya Dan: Doesn't pick up https://zuz.mx/* links
Take this link as example: https://zuz.mx/2IAk It will not unshorten and will not check this link.
- (2018-11-05, v:3.0.2) Joe Pianta: broken?
This site can’t be reached unshorten.link unexpectedly closed the connection. Try: Checking the connection Checking the proxy and the firewall Running Windows Network Diagnostics ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED trying to use with links from tweetdeck they are all broken
- (2018-10-30, v:3.0.2) Mr Bo Jangles: Does this work with plain text urls?
Some of the forums and blogs I visit do not support active links in the comments, so people post urls as plain text... Is it possible to select the text or click on it to see the expanded value?
- (2018-02-28, v:3.0.1) David Liedle: Looping blocks my.cl.ly
Because there is no redirect from a https://my.cl.ly/ link, the extension gets stuck in a loop. Clicking the "expanded" link takes you to...exactly the same link, which is captured by the extension and around we go again and again. Have to turn off the extension to use that service. (CloudApp: screenshots and screensharing service for business stuff).
- (2018-01-22, v:3.0) Problem with Chase since 1/19/18
Since 1/19 I am having a problem with www.chase.com. I'm getting the wrong login option, which in turn sends me to a Chase error message page. So I figured they were having a problem. It's 1/22 now and the same thing still happens. To make a long troubleshooting story short, it turns out that when I disable Unshorten.link the problem stops. Then I noticed that on 1/19 there was a new version released. Bingo! Note: The problem isn't apparent if you do not have a Chase account. But I do, and it seems to treat me a bit differently even before I log in (it lets me login on the home page without having to go to another page to do it). It's this login procedure which is broken when I enable Unshorten.link.
- (2017-12-20, v:2.6) Valentin R.: Manually edit list of services
Can I set a few sites to bypass unshorten.link? E.g. youtu.be/ doesn't need to be checked since all these links result in youtube.com/...
- (2017-11-12, v:2.6) Funtime Mike: adf.ly loop
i know i'm not the first one to address this problem, but when i first used unshorten.link, it worked perfectly in an adf.ly page, but later, i tried again for another adf.ly page and the loop appeared. i tried again the first one and again the loop, so please, fix it, because yours is the best extension i've seen so far in the whole chrome web store, but this spoils its greatness
- (2017-11-08, v:2.6) Nathan Reitz: Cannot access google URL shortner to use links
When I try to go to the page https://goo.gl/ in order to make a shortened link, the page does not load and I have these error messages in the console: Refused to execute script from 'https://goo.gl/static/0063.urlshortener.js' because its MIME type ('text/html') is not executable, and strict MIME type checking is enabled. goo.gl/:318 Uncaught ReferenceError: URLShortenerHomeInitialize is not defined at goo.gl/:318 (anonymous) @ goo.gl/:318 notifications.google.com/u/0/widget?sourceid=105&hl=en&origin=https%3A%2F%2Fgoo.gl&usegapi=1&jsh=m%3B%2F_%2Fscs%2Fabc-static%2F_%2Fjs%2Fk%3Dgapi.gapi.en.xyDspFFbPYQ.O%2Fm%3D__features__%2Fam%3DAAI%2Frt%3Dj%2Fd%3D1%2Frs%3DAHpOoo9vuiyYzl-xmAxJd0moShp71zG1mw#pid=105&_methods=onError%2ConInfo%2ChideNotificationWidget%2CpostSharedMessage%2Creauth%2CsetNotificationWidgetHeight%2CsetNotificationWidgetSize%2CswitchTo%2CnavigateTo%2CsetNotificationText%2CsetNotificationAnimation%2CgetNotificationText%2CvalidateUser%2C_ready&id=I0_1510153162825&_gfid=I0_1510153162825&parent=https%3A%2F%2Fgoo.gl&pfname=&rpctoken=29206817 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 () The only way for me to use the service is by disabling this extension temporarily. I think you need to write an ignore in on Goo.gl links that are not redirects, thanks.
- (2017-10-20, v:2.6) Gloria Lassich: Error Message
Whenever I click on a short url I get a message that says: "We're sorry, but something went wrong. If you are the application owner check the logs for more information." I had to uninstall so I could access the links. Please fix this, it was a fantastic extension before this happened. :)