This extension downloads list of matching users and ancestor information.
The extension helps with analyzing and comparing your AncestryDNA test results. The automated scanner, accessible using the Full Scan and Resume Scan buttons added to your DNA Home Page, will go through your list of DNA matches and open each one to scan their pedigree charts. Once the scanning process is complete, you can download your list of matches and pedigree charts as .csv files for analyzing them in a spreadsheet or database program. You can also use the additional search features added to the top of your matches list to search for matches by usernames or exact/similar surnames. The ancestors of matches report also includes an incidence value for each row that calculates how frequently people with the same name and a similar birth year appear among your matches. This value can be useful for detecting possible common lines of descent. If you have multiple DNA tests under your account, a new shared match icon will appear next to each match allowing your to easily see which other test(s) also match this same result by hovering your mouse over this icon. You can also compare two or three of your tests to each other using the compare features at the bottom of your DNA Home Page.
- (2019-07-24) tetelestai: I loved it when it worked. its useless now
- (2019-06-30) Diana Todd: Today may be the last day it works as Ancestry is saying our browser customizations will no longer work. I hope that isn't true. I've scanned my 91,000 matches and a total of over 300,000 matches combined with 4 kits. I'm still scanning this morning as new matches arrive for as long as I can. I won't be able to keep up with the kits without it and I wasn't able to view all matches for a couple years anyway. I will continue to use AncestryDNA Helper for as long as it works because I love having the data. Thank you Jeff!
- (2019-02-23) It only downloads the first page of my matches
- (2019-02-21) Good Extension Problem has not worked for 3 days now please fix looks to be ancestry blocking.
- (2019-02-17) John Milburn: Ancestry DNA can't do the best job it can without this helper...fantastic program should be a norm
- (2019-01-08) Ken Barnett: The instructions claim that I will find a (' "Scan" button next to your DNA test to scan all of your match data. ') No such button, after reading all of the reviews/complaints this one is hitting the trash, I don't like using Chrome anyway, Opera is safer and faster than Chrome...
- (2018-12-17) kelli moore: haven't gotten to use it yet. i'm currently scanning. took me about 12 tries to get it to scan. the trick is to hit refresh and then as fast as you can, hit scan. and i do mean AS FAST AS YOU CAN. good luck!
- (2018-08-22) Therese Anne Schmidt: love it
- (2018-08-17) Don Taylor: I find the download of matches extremely useful amd a huge time saver.
- (2018-07-19) Ed Ralston: I wasted 5 days downloading a large database of matches from an Ancestry DNA test. One of my interests in using this extension was to hopefully do a more complete surname search (since ancestry.com is broken). After it was finally compete it became apparent that the helper's search feature does not work AT ALL. They supposedly have a yahoo support group. That was worthless. She (Barbara Taylor) blamed the problem on ancestry.com. I would not recommend this extension at all. I am going to try DNAGedcom. And one more issue - this extension toggles all your "new" blue dots - so all the unseen matches appear as seen and the ones previously seen appear new.
- (2018-07-15) Fred Futch: The extension provides much needed improvement to accessing and even finding your Ancestry DNA matches, which easily exceed 65000 for most users.
- (2018-07-08) Emily Citraro: Despite all the negative reviews, it works for me using Windows 10 on a Lenovo Thinkpad. It doesn't look so pretty but it has been helpful to me. I hope it continues to work since Ancestry search functions are useless.
- (2018-06-01) Staynavytom: I do not "dislike" this extension...it's just hugely frustrating in its application. I think this extension should be taken out of the public domain until the developer can make it work correctly and consistently. It's also too bad that ancestry.com has not provided support to the app developer.
- (2018-03-12) K. McIntyre: What a waste.
- (2018-02-09) Lyndac Johnson: I loved this when it worked. I have deleted and installed this 3 times. It no longer scans. Comparisons work 10% of the time. So disappointed.
- (2018-01-14) Lynn Hawkins: Doesn't work even after removing it and re-adding it. Using an iMac with latest OS.
- (2017-12-31) Forrest: DNAgedcom client works better.
- (2017-12-18) Dennis Norwood: I am revising my review based on the latest improvements. I recommend that you use a separate computer and don't use it while it is scanning, on one of my records it took 28 hours to scan the database for 21,464 records, but it got them all. Now I can import into my mysql database for processing.
- (2017-12-05) Allison Jones: Doesn't work....
- (2017-11-29) Robert Charles Morgan MacGregor: Doesn't work. It's an invisible application.
- (2017-11-21) Barbara Lesinski: Does not work at all on my MAC using Chrome. I emailed the author and received no response.
- (2017-11-12) L Brandau: Never really worked. Downloaded a couple dozen out of hundreds of matches after days of scanning, now jut keeps refreshing the page.
- (2017-11-06) Master TMO: A great app for working with your AncestryDNA. It occasionally has problems, AFAIK all of which are caused by either Chrome and Ancestry updates, so it takes time for the developer to modify this app to compensate.
- (2017-11-03) Nancy Earles: The scan opens a separate tab for each individual match and is limited to 51 tabs so I cannot scan and export the 2500 matches I have on my DNA report. I am not able to see any reports, just get 51 matches in an Excel spreadsheet.
- (2017-10-31) Deborah Robinson: This app was extremely useful when it worked. It hasn't worked well for me for 6 - 8 mos now. Very disappointed.
- (2019-10-12, v:0.7.16) c chris: how to get started?
is anyone here getting any answers to their questions? i don't see any responses from developer? i don't even know how to get started! it asks for my gedcom id etc....where do i find this? how do i use this? does it even work? is it helpful at all? can someone please answer these questions for me?
- (2019-09-04, v:0.7.16) C N: Gedcom user name?
Options menu asks for a 'DNAGedcom' ID & password. What is this, gedcom is a file format, is this meant to be Gedmatch? I've never seen a 'scan' button in Ancestry.
- (2019-06-18, v:0.7.16) Maddy Pineo: scan button doesn't appear
trying to do a scan on all my mathes but the scan button doesn't appear.
- (2019-06-14, v:0.7.16) Bob: "New Features coming July 1"
Question is similar to Sally Morton's of 25 Mar, though now it's not just the "Beta", but Ancestry DNA itself that will apparently change on July 1. Ancestry's warning "If you use third-party browser extensions for your DNA matches, the customizations ... will no longer be available after an upcoming update. "Can you say how DNA helper will be affected, and what preparations your users should take?
- (2019-05-02, v:0.7.16) Kari Olson: Where do I find the info that was scanned and how can I tell it even scanned?
Is there a tutorial for this somewhere? I've scanned it several times but it hasn't done anything and if it worked then I can't tell. I see no way to get to the information
- (2019-03-25, v:0.7.16) Sally Morton: Compatibility with Ancestry beta
Jeff - Will you be able to update the AncestryDNA Helper to work alongside the latest tool from Ancestry: "New & Improved DNA Matches BETA If you enable this feature, you can more easily sort, group, and view your DNA matches in any way you'd like. Please note that if you have been using Chrome extensions to sort or organize your matches, these extensions will not be supported in this beta experience. We advise you first save or record any work you may have done with any Chrome extensions before participating in this beta feature." I had an issue with a messed up page layout on Ancestry which I put on a facebook group with a screen shot at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/407494112747727/1304572286373234/?comment_id=1304772863019843¬if_id=1553515617193842¬if_t=group_comment I had to disable your app to get Ancestry functioning properly. Well it had stopped working anyway. But that's a shame because its valuable.
- (2019-03-09, v:0.7.16) Abby F.: Scan Gone
How do I scan if there's no scan button?
- (2019-01-17, v:0.7.16) George Hagegeorge: DNA Gedcom files
Hello DNA gedcom is requesting Ancestry "A" file and "M" file for matches. I seem to have an endless stream of cousins on Ancestry as the scan has been running for SIX days and shows no sign of slowing. Will there be two files available after I scan since I only see one download button for Matches? Thank you!
- (2018-12-09, v:0.7.16) Robert Irwin: Regarding the "Extra Buttons" for the Extension Not Displaying
Seems like a reliable "workaround" for the missing buttons is (at least, it consistently works for me): 1) Navigate off the Ancestry DNA Home Page (e.g., click on Settings Button) 2) Come back to DNA Home Page by clicking on the "AncestryDNA Home" link
- (2018-11-14, v:0.7.16) Mark Carroll: Extension doesn't work
Does Not Work