Attempts to remove clickbait 'listicles' (from the likes of Taboola, Revcontent etc) from any web page you visit.
Sick and tired of Taboola's "You my like" clickbait article listings on every webpage you visit? I was too, so I decided to knock together a Chrome extension to remove them. Clickbait Killer attempts to remove clickbait 'listicles' (from the likes of Taboola, Revcontent etc) from any web page you visit. Currently it only removes Taboola and Revcontent "Links from the Web" lists, but please help me expand this extension's arsenal by sending me examples of sites that contain similar clickbait ads. I'd love to hear feedback whether it's good or bad. This is just a side-project for me, but I'm keen to improve upon it where possible. UPDATE: Added 'Zergnet', 'Outbrain' and 'contentad'
- (2020-03-02) Steven Lam: Works for some sites, but not others. I assume from the reviews this will be a growing list. Currently does not block clickbait on https://www.reuters.com/ (click bait by dianomi)
- (2019-10-16) Jô Miyagui: Funciona.
- (2019-08-05) Giovanni Tummarello: So far works, and this is SO needed. If i had a way to donate i would
- (2019-06-30) Chuck Méndez: It blocks all clickbait links and ads as far as I've seen. It has a big problem, though: it takes a few seconds to kick in after loading a page, so the page in question will have the annoying ads for two or three seconds before they disappear and as you know: many of those ads are nsfw or just downright offensive and repulsive, so after loading a page, if I´m in a public place, I open another tab just for a few seconds waiting for the extension to react. I wish there was a way in which it loaded a page without the ads from the get-go.
- (2018-12-20) Simon Strijbos: Works on some sites and really well if it works. Be aware that this uses Google Analytics to track basically every page you visit while this extension is active.
- (2018-10-11) Wout Mertens: It works :)
- (2018-09-10) Matt Hill: OMG, thank you so much! Removes all the clickbait "news" from the CNN page!
- (2018-06-11) Randy Ellis: Content by Lendingtree, content by myfinance this is clearly click bait and still showing up on cnn.com pages.
- (2018-04-09) Skull Kid: Simply doesn't work. Zergnet "around the web" still shows up
- (2018-03-31) Krishna Ryali: thanks to this app it saved me
- (2018-03-30) Tommy Carstensen: Good idea, but it doesn't work on Yahoo ads.
- (2018-02-08) Lambertus Dekker: works perfect,
- (2017-11-12) Woodrow Wilson: Have had this for quite a while now, works!
- (2017-07-07) Glen Little: Simple and effective!
- (2017-04-21) Keith Durand: This is also the 3rd clickbait extension I tried but like the others it doesn't work at all.
- (2017-03-20) Marc Bubel: This is the 3rd clickbait blocking app I've tried and it was the first to actually block clickbait. The toolbar icon is blank so the extension seems incomplete in design. Good start and I'll keep using it.
- (2020-09-02, v:0.4) Tim Fitzpatrick: Outbrain is still visible
Hi, I LOVE the concept of this thing, and I definitely see an improvement. I do still see Outbrain ads, FYI.
- (2019-08-05, v:0.4) Giovanni Tummarello: any way to donate?
- (2019-04-04, v:0.4) Dan Hull: Add yavli.com clickbait
If you check out the website www.cheatsheet.com you'll see three large clickbait ads at the top of every article. You can't right-click to get any info about them, but if you click them they try to redirect you through various tracking sites and then onto their origination. But they all seem to be relying on the Yavli service, so I'm guessing that's where they are coming from ultimately. Can you block these?
- (2018-11-28, v:0.3) Jackson Redaction: Not working on Zergnet
For example: https://www.pcmag.com/news/363720/elon-musks-boring-tunnel-garage-approved -or- https://imgur.com/a/cAcnpZA
- (2018-05-24, v:0.3) Loren Moss: Doesn't seem to work.
For example, on this site, all the Revcontent clickbait is there and as annoying as ever. https://www.csoonline.com/article/3257659/security-awareness/10-questions-to-answer-before-running-a-capture-the-flag-ctf-contest.amp.html
- (2017-07-07, v:0.3) Glen Little: Stop the Interval
It would be nice if the extension were to stop the interval timer after, say, 5 iterations without finding anything to remove. As it is now, it continues running every 5 seconds forever. It would also be good to add an option to disable it from the icon. Or, maybe have no timer, but when the icon is clicked, it runs and removes the target elements. Then I can invoke it when I see a set of taboola ads, and it doesn't run otherwise. Thanks!
- (2017-04-05, v:0.1.1) Brian Bosh: Block outbrain content
Outbrain more-to-explore sections. .ob-widget-section Example at http://wjla.com/news/local/fire-officials-investigating-aircraft-down-in-prince-georges-county