Hides all the metrics on Facebook
Facebook Demetricator is a Chrome extension that hides all the metrics on Facebook. What are these metrics that it removes? The Facebook interface is filled with numbers.These numbers, or metrics, measure and present our social value and activity, enumerating friends, likes, comments, and more. Your friend count, the number of likes under a photo, how many messages you have waiting, etc...these are all Facebook metrics. Facebook Demetricator allows you to hide (and show) these metrics. No longer is the focus on how *many* friends you have or on how *much* they like your status, but on *who* they are and *what* they said. Friend counts disappear. '16 people like this' becomes 'people like this'. Through changes like these, Demetricator invites you to try the system without the numbers, to see how your experience is changed by their absence. Thus, with this extension I aim to disrupt the prescribed sociality these metrics produce, enabling a network society that isn't dependent on quantification. For more information, please see http://bengrosser.com/projects/facebook-demetricator/
- (2022-03-10) Sci: Hi Ben, Would u update it anytime sooner? It's is non-fuctional now.
- (2021-08-30) David Chung: downloaded the extension after reading about it in The Guardian 8/15, doesn't work (at least on Chrome for Mac)
- (2021-08-18) Colo H: Would love to try it but it isn't working at the moment.
- (2020-12-15) Erin Kuhn: Good work! How do you get it to work with the new fb interface please?
- (2019-05-20) Rachel Orrell: The thing that really bugs me is it removes dates. Please add the ability to opt out of the obscuring of the dates (replacing them with "recently").
- (2019-04-11) la nella: Hi! It's a very good idea, but right now (2019) it doesn't hide all the numbers. Is it possible to update it? thank you very much
- (2019-01-27) Matt Thurmond: Works for me. Great tool. That said, it only removes the numbers, and not the like icons or names of people who liked it when scrolling posts. So there is still a bit of the "metric" and "measuring your social interactions" feel, even with the tool.
- (2019-01-20) Mateusz Radziej: Brilliant idea. Very grateful for the extension. Wish there was such for YouTube!
- (2019-01-15) Mat B: Doesnt work
- (2018-09-27) Jko Ggl: Cheers! I needed this. I am happy to see I am the only one trying to feed the soul and kill the FB-ego
- (2018-05-27) I would highly recommend the creator's website for his other projects!
- (2017-07-28) Stinky Dofu: 用FB不想因為誰按讚多 又有幾個通知要看而煩惱 建議可以裝一下 也不會因為哪邊文章按讚多數 在做比較
- (2016-04-09) Pierre Lindgren: It did it's job well but now it's becom buggy since the introduction of reactions. The toggle has dissapeared and the number of comments is now shown regardless of the extension being turned on or not.
- (2016-03-24) Amy Stone: Genius idea! Facebook should make this an option for its users.
- (2015-10-18) So there's a couple of small things this doesn't remove, but I like the idea of removing the mathematical part of social comparison which finds place on facebook everyday.
- (2015-09-16) James DeLayo: Works perfectly. Thanks!
- (2014-11-14) Cp Yong: Genius!
- (2014-11-11) matt woods: I am interested in the idea and will just have to see how it affects my relationship with social media. Great idea!
- (2014-07-03) Povilas Galcius: Awesome extension. Only one thing bothers me - I can't see if post was posted today or yesterday. There are many posts that are not relevant anymore on they other day.
- (2013-06-16) Ben Liu: This is genius!!
- (2013-01-06) Robert Koch: the upper collumn moves 1cm down if i activate the extension
- (2012-11-19) Nikolai Smetannikov: Beautiful! The add-on dramatically improves one's facebook experience.
- (2012-10-24) Jonathan Bursztyn: Very smart addon for Chrome. It changes radically facebook, in a good way.
- (2012-10-23) Yannick KREMPP: Seems a very good idea. I have a small issue with it on Google Chrome: The demetricator checkbox along with the profile, friends and home links are now under the blue bar, and not on the blue bar like they were previously. Anyway, good job for our peace of mind.
- (2020-09-16, v:1.7.7) Kyle Unger: Not working
I installed the extension on Chrome and nothing on my Facebook has changed. I closed and re-opened the browser, no effect.
- (2018-10-27, v:1.7.3) Nick Chen: The number of likes doesn't disappear
The number of likes still shows even I turn on facebook demetricator. Plz fix it. Thanks a lot!
- (2017-05-29, v:1.7.1) Luke Meier: "More friends" in contacts pane
I love the idea behind this extension. I'm very excited about having it installed. I noticed that in the contacts panel that shows who's online/recently online, there are several contiguous instances of "More friends" text entries. It also infinitely(?) scrolls down beneath the list of contacts. It clutters things up a little bit, and I figure you might not have seen it so I thought I'd just let you know. Love the app! Thanks for making this a thing!
- (2016-08-15, v:1.7.1) Irina Ormes: Partnership request
Hi! I represent browser extension monetization platform Ormes.ru. I have reviewed your extension, and I would like to invite you to work with our company. I have analyzed, that your extension Facebook Demetricator can bring you a guaranteed high income. You can get the maximum profit with our service for monetizing browser extensions, while our advertising is not annoying or malicious, and does not prevent the extension of functionality. We can help you to earn money for your browser extensions with the help of different advertising types: teaser ad, banner, clickunder, popunder, messenger, contextual advertising, video advertising, inserting your advertisement instead of existing advertisement, whitespace advertisement. We provide coordination of all the nuances and suggestions of webmasters. Payments are carried out upon request. Our geos include the whole world. I can provide rates upon request. If you are interested, please do not hesitate to contact me. Our team of skilled professionals looks forward to mutually beneficial cooperation with you. Best regards, Irina Account manager Ormes.ru Skype: partners.ormes Mail: [email protected], [email protected] Linkedin: https://ru.linkedin.com/in/irina-partnersormes-298600125 Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100012907692114 Vkontakte:https://new.vk.com/id375609154 Twitter: https://twitter.com/IrinaOrmes
- (2015-12-10, v:1.5.2) Luca V: non working
Hi! I think your idea is great! However, it seems it does not actually work, since I still can see most of the metrics (like the number of likes, comments,etc.). Is an update scheduled or should I unintall it?
- (2015-05-13, v:1.5.2) Jack Yoo: Want to delete this app
Help me how to delete this app from chrome please
- (2015-04-30, v:1.5.2) Hailey Noh: Cannot Uninstall
I do not remember installing facebook demetricator and I have uninstalled it several times, but every time I close and open Chrome again, it is still there.
- (2015-01-05, v:1.5.2) yeng yin: Hello
Facebook's new layout alters how the top blue bar is implemented. As a result, the Demetricator name and checkbox squeeze out the Facebook Search bar, causing it to move down out of the blue bar and ...
- (2014-11-21, v:1.5.2) Adina Baican: still working?
is not working anymore?
- (2014-11-20, v:1.5.2) Sanda Berberkic: facebook demetricator
Interesuje me na koji način se može deinstalirati facebook demetricator
- (2014-03-30, v:1.3.4) Josh McGraw: New Facebook layout slightly broken.
Facebook's new layout alters how the top blue bar is implemented. As a result, the Demetricator name and checkbox squeeze out the Facebook Search bar, causing it to move down out of the blue bar and hover over the displayed content.