One click to close any overlay on any website.
Close any overlay on any website with a single click or shortcut keys (ctrl+shift+x or cmd+shift+x) ! Important features: * It doesn't require any permissions. * No performance impact on your browsing. It will only activate when triggered. Have you ever been to a website that displays an overlay and masks the content with a transparent background before seeing its content ? This extension allows you to close easily those overlays with one click ! I built it for myself, and I use it every day, I'm glad that I can share this extension with everyone who is annoyed just like me ! And we are not alone, there is entire community who hates overlay popups, http://tabcloseddidntread.com/ Changes 0.1.3 - 18/06/2014: A keyboard shortcut is now available and activated by default: For windows, linux: CTRL+SHIFT+X For MacOS: CMD+SHIFT+X To remember X key, think of X as a close button. The scrolling enabler now got better, thanks to jordansexton on github. Improving the algorithm of overlay finding. --- Follow us https://twitter.com/Behind_Overlay Now an Firefox extension is also available !
- (2020-01-15) George Jibuti: Very useful Please add function to save settings for certain wepages
- (2019-12-11) Nicolas Latulippe: très bon
- (2019-11-25) Matthew: Most of the overlays I want removed/blocked, it is easier to just click the "x" on the overlay (many times, I can just click anywhere on the page and it goes away). The overlays that I Really want removed, it doesn't remove them. At best, it will remove part of the overlay and then leave a blurry webpage that cannot be scrolled down. I guess that makes this pretty worthless.
- (2019-11-16) D B: Often now after you click to get rid of overlay the page freezes so you can't see/read the rest of the page anyway. It really defeats the point of the extension. This is still the best overlay remover extension for Chrome. Sadly, people just aren't making overlay blockers extension anymore.
- (2019-10-21) Greg Thompson: Works well.
- (2019-09-12) Manuel Silva: Works always! Improvement suggestion: option to remember the choice for each site and then in those cases remove the overlay automatically as user settings.
- (2019-09-05) BrickNinja 99: Doesn't work for anything!
- (2019-07-30) G S: Thank you for this tool!
- (2019-06-06) Chris Google: Quite good at detecting overlays. It would be nice if it could also remove those pesky "overflow: hidden" CSS styles on the body, which disables scrolling. I always have to do this manually.
- (2019-05-01) TranscodeShootingStar: Seemed functional, but the site I wanted to use with it (ENotes) had the information itself being part of the overlay..
- (2019-04-07) Mike Cunningham: It's "good", but would be "great" if it had a way to blacklist sites that would automatically have their overlay removed!
- (2019-03-28) doesnt work on coursehero anymore
- (2019-03-27) Works perfectly. Thank you.
- (2019-03-15) 郑钧文: not working at all
- (2019-03-09) chad tunis: simply great! eliminates frustration
- (2019-03-06) Faye Zufairi: very good.! i hate the site that put an overlay ads or to turn off the ad blocker. this helps clear the overlay. thank you.
- (2019-03-06) J. Smith: LOVE it! Works everywhere for me. I uise an adblocker & when I visit a site that pops up that screen "We noticed you're using adblocker" I can close it. One of my most useful extensions so far in the year or more I've been using it.
- (2019-03-02) Charles Zimmerman: I like it, but on many websites it only removes the overlay, it doesn't re-enable the user's ability to scroll. Most websites temporarily change this when they bring up the overlay so that you can't scroll to see past it or to continue reading while the overlay is present. On chrome this is fixed by right clicking on the webpage and, in the menu that comes up, clicking "inspect" from there search for "body overflow-y:" or just "overflow" without quotes, once you find this type "scroll" without quotes after "overflow-y:" or "overflow" so it looks like "overflow-y: scroll" or just "overflow: scroll" without quotes, do not delete any symbols or words other than the word after overflow/overflow-y and make sure to include the single space after the : symbol. Once you've done this press enter and you should be able to scroll again. I don't know how one may implement this into an extension, but it'd sure be nice if it could be. The disabled scroll isn't from the extension, it's from the website itself disabling it so you can't scroll while the overlay is up. The website changes back to being scrollable once the overlay goes away via you disabling adblock or whatever way it's designed to go away but via extension as the extension doesn't trigger whatever event causes the website to make itself scrollable again. Changing this setting, however, does. If this doesn't work for you there may be more "body" areas to change in the website than the one you initially found so go through and change them all until you get the page to be scrollable again. There's no real current alternative to disabling an overlay AND keeping the website scrollable if the website disables scrolling. Finally, to help further and clarify one final time, the code snippet you're looking for will look something like <body style="padding-right: 16px; overflow: hidden;"> Yours will likely not look exactly like that so don't go looking for that exact thing, but the key things to look out for are "body," "style," and "overflow:" make sure to replace whatever is after the word "overflow:", in this case "hidden". with "scroll", without the quotes, while making sure to delete and replace nothing else.
- (2018-12-16) Kevin Carbonaro: Just love it! Seems to work on all those cookie message 'I agree or not' questions. Now if only it had a setting to automatically close overlays!
- (2018-10-23) Jessica Wu: All i have to do is click the logo in the extension bar right next to my account logo and poof, the static overlays disappear! Thank goodness and bless you for making this masterpiece.
- (2018-10-02) A Ong: LOVE IT!! WORKS like a charm! =)
- (2018-09-28) Ricardo U.: Works ok but not dealing with lack of scroll bars of some websites, after taking out paywall.
- (2018-08-20) Daniel Duke: Nothing other to say than it works. Let's me access certain content like locked websites that attempt to harvest your info before showing free college textbook pdfs. Thanks much!
- (2018-08-11) Haran G: sounds good hope for the bestt! Yeah late to edit but its AMAZENG. ;P
- (2018-08-08) Konstantin Ershov: Very useful, but would be great if I could scroll page after overlay removed.