Web Extension to block unwanted videos and channels
This Chrome extension can block YouTube videos or channels from view based on keywords you can specify. It features a very basic password protection and the block message is user-customizable. Originally this was developed for a person who is easily scared and needed to be protected from certain YouTube searches. Because there was no easy way to do this I developed this extension. The sourcecode is available on github at https://github.com/Meidor/keywordblocker
- (2021-11-25) Heretic Anthem: Wow it took me a while to figure it out, you should make a tutorial honestly, I was about to rate it 2 stars because I misconfigured it. Great extensions, its extremely helpful for me. Thank you for making it, and it has so many features.. I will consider donating to you. Really thanks a lot, it works great. https://prnt.sc/20x2041 EDIT: but report; this block is not blocked. you can click on view more and none of these are. it bypasses it. please fix if possible
- (2021-10-22) Clark: this doesn't work at all.
- (2021-10-17) Rashid Dev: It doesn't work.
- (2021-09-16) Frankyy Milkyy: it doesn't work and not supported
- (2021-09-08) Dei Dara: Thanks, it works!
- (2021-08-18) Ella Threlfall: i don't think this works at the moment. i tried it set to "block" and also to "remove" videos matching the keywords. but in both cases, videos with titles containing my keywords showed up on my recommended page.
- (2021-08-16) XMinecraftFanxX: Spyware. Asked for permission to read my browser history.
- (2021-05-23) Annabel Caley: Simply nothing worked. Got this to avoid Eurovision spoilers. Blocked the work Eurovision. See it plastered all over YouTube nonetheless. I thought it was a pretty simple ask??
- (2021-04-10) Sujeet: Working good now, problem may occur when youtube updates their security, so you shall also keep working so that your users don't blame you for it. keep an eye on it
- (2021-03-15) YAGAO ERNEST FERSON: SO FAR IT WORKS FINE!! Keep up the good work man
- (2021-03-04) The Infidel: 1. Disclose your privacy practices please 2. Does this even work? Just as an example . my feed was swamped by Jimm Carr and Ricky Gervais videos, which i have watched a lot and got fed up by. So i addded the keywords : Carr, Carr´s, Jimmy Carr, Gervais and used either wildcard option or not, also i set the option to remove , block on all items available in the option menu... resulting in zero effect on what i was shown by youtube.. So what is this for ...!??!!?
- (2021-03-02) Deadly Golem: I find it doesn't work. Tested it using a few common words such as "I" and "the" to make sure it really works. Videos with those in their names are still showing up. I tried refreshing the tab, creating a new tab, tried with all the settings set to block, tried with all the settings set to remove, nothing worked, I was still getting stuff to show up in the homepage. I plan on leaving it on in hopes that it will magically work some day, but it seems unlikely. If you want something to block your unwanted videos its still worth a try, since I seem to be in the minority with this not working. Hey, maybe it will work for you. (Also if you only want to to block channels, youtube has a built in feature for that.)
- (2021-02-14) Tiffinity Bright: Incredible Work! My first time to leave a review as I honestly think it's underrated! I have been looking for a software or extension functions like this for a while, found it, finally! It helps me staying focus on important tasks and filtering unwanted content! Thanks a lot! Well Done!
- (2021-01-18) Dushyant Udawat: You are an absolute god. Only add and youtube video where u r explaining how to use the extension . It was difficult at start. Thanks again.
- (2020-12-28) Firas Moussi: so it works good but when you add a keyword it stacks from top so you have to scroll down to add new ones otherwise thank!
- (2020-12-24) Gary Lane: I added this extension and then added two specific keywords to block. Did a search using both keywords. Found the video I usual do that has the exact same keywords. And it played with no problem at all. Another blocker that does not work at all.
- (2020-12-05) TeePM: Works perfectly. Make sure you change your block options!!
- (2020-11-29) ROMAN MAZAEV: Не работает. Не блокирует ни канал, ни видео.
- (2020-11-27) James Kewageshig: Using this to block Mandalorian/spoiler videos before I watch the episode, works great! thanks!
- (2020-11-18) screwhead: So good! (after reading other reviews left me a bit confused) At the moment it's working fine, I looked up the keywords I had blocked with the opacity low so I could still the videos, and it blocked everything that I did not want. Youtube has been spamming me with irrelevant videos, thank you for this very useful extension mate!
- (2020-11-17) Lance Courier: Works perfectly for me. https://i.imgur.com/DGS3tnC.png
- (2020-11-15) Chris Oliver Dela Cruz: As far as I know, this was working back then when I first installed it. It was still working now, but I couldn't see the options. It's literally blank. I hope that this may be fixed. Thank you.
- (2020-09-30) steph: not working :/ added several political keywords and my YouTube home page is still showing all of it.
- (2020-09-16) Serafim Chayka: Works better than I expected! I am not sure how channel blocking should have worked. I still can access main and videos pages of the blocked channels... But by combining this extension with the Cold Turkey Pro to block their urls solves the problem. Thank You! Update: Channel blocking does seem to work. Even though you can still access the videos but they will be stopped after a second or two.
- (2020-09-14) polleitor5: Thank you for removing anime from youtube
- (2020-09-05) Lance Moldes: Not working im using this to suppose child lock my computer
- (2020-08-13) Caspian: still havnt checked if this works im to scared to search up the keyword i added to the blocklist, just wanna know if the keywords and channels you blocked also work on mobile
- (2020-07-18) Reza Mahandara: This app is working perfectly.. finally i can remove minecraft video from my youtube
- (2020-07-04) Tori Forte: Did nothing
- (2020-04-08) M G: You need to add keywords, twice, because of big letters. "test" is blocked. but Test with a big T isn' blocked.
- (2020-03-21) Ethan Tank: Отлично работает! Все блокирует: по ключевым словам и отдельные каналы, короче все. С новым дизайном работает, в отличии от других расширений.
- (2020-03-13) LeonidasSthlm: Doesn't work. It does not block the words specified.
- (2020-01-12) Nadejdik Zetta: Very good extention! Please add optional block for videos with >1000 dislikes
- (2019-10-30) oh baby: If you're using a disable polymer script or extension, this doesn't work. It's definitely nice in terms of features but I'd rather just not use it than have to use the new redesign.
- (2019-10-10) Dakota S.: This is GREAT I really need something like this for mobile!! do you know of anything?
- (2019-07-19) Pelajar Abadi: Didn't work. It used to work a few years back. Now it seems to do nothing.
- (2019-06-19) Андрей Смуткин: не работает
- (2019-05-21) FatheredPuma81: This extension sadly fails to compete with BlockTube (blocking channels based on their ID rather than name) and also fails to do what Video Blocker sometimes does (50/50 chance it works). Tried to block "*viewers also watch...", "Recently uploaded", and the Twitter knockoff garbage YouTube is pushing heavily and it doesn't work even if I select Wildcard in both the Keyword and Channels tab.
- (2019-02-20) Utterly useless. Couldn't find anything that it would actually block.
- (2019-01-29) KallMeQul: It's been a bit on and off lately. Worked perfectly for the first couple of weeks, then something happened and it stopped blocking videos. Reinstalled it, and it seems to be blocking most things again, but some of those pesky spoilers are still getting through. Wildcard option doesn't seem to work at all. Really hoping this gets fixed...
- (2018-11-10) Kareem Ahmed: It works perfectly fine, thank you sir, you're the real mvp
- (2018-11-04) George K: 5 stars for blocking videos with certain keywords in the description!! Keep up the good work
- (2018-11-03) Nick Stanfield: When is an update going to be released? The extension cuts off the right edge of the video
- (2018-11-02) Abdullah Farooq Qureshi: great work please make one for mobilee android use...... app
- (2018-05-05) Кирилл: Все работает!!! Настроил под ребенка.
- (2018-04-14) x x: does not work
- (2018-04-13) Aashish Pandey: Not working now
- (2018-03-29) Nathan_1617 aka Skeleratis and Nathan Wig: Nothing worked. I got this to stop myself gettig jealous of the Apple Pencil and smartphones due to not being allowed. I can't block every single video containing Apple Pencil.
- (2018-02-19) Tyler Behl: did not work, results still showed with keywords in wildcard list.
- (2017-12-24) MrGhostMark Let's Plays: Does it work.
- (2021-02-19, v:2.2.1) vincent de goede: key-word blocker
i would like to install in chrome browser for you-tube filter the chrome extension keyword blocker with password but this extension can also easy, even with password removed by klik on button remove extension. is it possible to install the chrome extension keyword blocker with more pc install knowledge, so that it is no more possible to klik on the button to remove the chrome extension key-word blocker ( block button remove extension ? )
- (2021-01-28, v:2.2.1) Shane Frost: Plugin not working
The tool is not blocking videos or channels which appear in the block list (for either keyword or channel). For example, I have fishing (wildcard) in the channel and keyword lists, but I'm currently getting recommendations for 'Andy's Fishing Wild Cook' - I'm not interested in fishing certainly not in cooking.
- (2021-01-13, v:2.2.1) Segaco: Permissions
I get why the extension needs to be able to read and modify the youtube page, but why does it need to access my browsing history?
- (2020-11-16, v:2.2.1) chafik ben: cc
- (2020-11-16, v:2.2.1) chafik ben: cc
- (2020-10-17, v:2.2.1) vincent de goede: keyword block not working
hello Rik Harink, i have a PC windows 7 / 64 bit / service pack 1 i have installed your keyword blocker but it is not working in you-tube. i tried the extension with and without extension password and also with and without logged in you-tube account but what i tried it das not working. please will you inform me what can cause this issue ?
- (2020-08-11, v:2.2.1) Kevin Boyette: Block/Remove
Hello! Does Block/Remove also choose "Not Interested" so the same video doesn't get recommended again and again? Thanks!
- (2020-08-01, v:2.2.1) BlitztheDragon: Block Channel button does not work
I have zero interest in h3h3Productions, but YouTube makes sure to put his stuff in my Recommendations regardless. I have tried adding all variations of his channels' names in both this extension and the other extension, Video Blocker, using Wildcard. I have right-clicked and selected "Block Channel," only for nothing to happen. Nothing I try blocks any of these videos. Did YouTube update its code so that it's incompatible with your extension? Does h3h3 being verified affect the ability to block his videos?
- (2020-03-03, v:2.2.1) vincent de goede: keyword blocker / video blocker
graag uw aandacht, ik heb uw keyword blocker uitgeprobeerd en werkt naar verwachting, echter de extensie is ook met ingesteld wachtwoord eenvoudig weer te verwijderen. mijn vraag is of er met pc expertise of verwijzing een mogelijkheid bedacht kan worden zodat de extensie niet meer eenvoudig verwijderd kan worden ?
- (2020-01-12, v:2.2.0) Nadejdik Zetta: Improvement
Please add optional block for videos with >1000 dislikes or configurable. (I'm using it for parental control)
- (2019-11-08, v:2.1.0) Agnes Wittrock: Right click to block channel doesn't work
I've notice that right clicking on a video will bring up "Block channel" in the Context menu. However, clicking "Block channel" doesn't seem to work, instead I have to copy the channel name and paste it in the extensions options
- (2019-11-07, v:2.1.0) Sandra Ferrell: Keyword Blocker Use
Hi, Is this blocker just for YouTube and other video channels, or can it be customized to block keywords when browsing (on Google/Google Chrome)? Or do you have another product that is specifically for blocking sites/web pages by keywords? Thank you!
- (2019-03-04, v:2.0.1) Sarah Ault: Load from History
Greetings, Added the channel "Dougy" to the blocklist. It does block it from the search however if you load a video from the channel, it does not block.
- (2019-01-08, v:2.0.0) Howard Richman: white screen on options
Today I wanted to add some keywords and the "options" screen is just "white screen." My daughter is on Windows 8 and the chrome is the latest version. I tried restarting chrome and restarting the computer and removing cookies and emptying cache. Does anyone know what might be causing it? Thank you.
- (2019-01-02, v:1.8.2) Howard Richman: I want to make a donation
I've been using your great keyword blocker extension on my daughter's computer. Thank you! I want to make a donation but I need to do it on my own computer. I cannot find where to do this unless I am on the computer that has the extension? What is your direct paypal donation email? Thank you! Howard Richman
- (2018-11-03, v:1.8.2) Nick Stanfield: When is an update going to be released?
The extension works well but the right edge of the video is cut off.
- (2018-10-13, v:1.8.2) ROYAL WORLD: how it solved
i like this extension..however we can remove easily...so it seems to be a waste!!!
- (2018-10-06, v:1.8.2) quang dinh: keyword (also wildcard) does not work properly with unicode
1. Video with title and/or channel names (in unicode) are not blocked properly. Blocking usually fails. 2. Can not add keyword in unicode (for example "Lý Chí Dũng")
- (2018-07-20, v:1.8.2) Dawn Davidson: not working
This is not working. I've manually added a ton of channels and keywords to be blocked but when I open youtube they pop right up on the first try.
- (2018-06-18, v:1.8.2) On/off switch in toolbar
First thank you for this great extension! Second, I would love for the Keyword Blocker icon in the Chrome toolbar to activate/deactivate the extension when clicked, or at least have an on/off switch appear when it is clicked or right clicked. Right now I have to go all the way into my extensions manager page to turn it on or off.