Uses Google Translate™ to provide a voice.
THIS EXTENSION INCLUDES NO USER INTERFACE. IT IS INSTEAD USED BY OTHER EXTENSIONS, WEBAPPS OR WEB SITES. EXAMPLE WEBAPP THAT USES TEXT TO SPEECH: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tts-demo/chhkejkkcghanjclmhhpncachhgejoel Chrome includes a text-to-speech system, which uses Microsoft's system built into Windows, or appropriate systems on other platforms. Additional voice engines can be written as extensions for Chrome. What do I do with a thing I have absolutely no knowledge about? Naturally, I go and hack around it. So using Google's Console TTS Engine example, I quickly whipped together something that uses HTML5 Audio to play sounds fetched directly from Google Translate's private, internal and absolutely in no way publicly documented text-to-speech service. Being an undocumented, private, internal API, this text-to-speech service may change or break any moment. Your use of this extension is at your own risk. Extension's code is nasty. Dead code was not removed. There's very obvious sentence splitting bugs. And I don't care. ;-) Google Translate is a trademark of Google Inc. Use of this trademark is subject to Google Permissions.
- (2020-09-12) rubén darío cantarella: ok
- (2020-08-26) Laura Patricia: Seemed so simple, and the first time I used it that I was upset that I didn't learn about this before using countless others, but the next time I tried to use it - NOTHING. Then I couldn't get back to the options by any typical means, and I could see having to remove and re-install it over and over every time I wanted to adjust the settings. To add insult to injury, when you click on the developers website link...there's a big fat nothing there too! I'd recommend to everyone who uses Chrome: Save yourselves all the trouble and either shell out for a fancy text reader with ratings as close to 5 stars as you can afford or just enable select to speak in your Accessibility settings for free and be done with it!
- (2019-04-11) dj osearth: If you can't get it working, try reading _literally_ the first paragraph of the extension's Chrome Store page where it suggests an extension that, when both are installed, extends it's own functionality/feature set by utilizing this ext. So this is an extension that allows extended abilities within other extensions and therefore this ext. does not offer any GUI for you as an end user to interact with directly (ie: since this ext. has absolutely no user interface whatsoever for an end user to see or test, you should think of it as a function _library_ or API include that OTHER extensions. source code could reference thereby very easily extending their own set of features & capabilities offered. Specifically developments related to TTS (Text To Speech) related abilities) https://bitbucket.org/ivucica/chrome-googletranslatetts/
- (2017-10-29) Milton Ballón: No sirve para nada
- (2017-04-07) Rıdvan Selli: işe yaramıyor.
- (2017-01-30) James Newton: Installed, shows up in SpeakIt!, click to read something... silence. Switch to SpeakIt!'s internal TTS engine or "Native" or others and SpeakIt! works fine.
- (2016-03-16) Diego Alexis Ordoñez: US spanish female, es la mejor voz que existe hoy en día, excelente extensión.
- (2014-07-13) Sean Thayer: Best TTS engine around. I use this with SpeakIt! and it sounds better than some of the umano articles I've listened to. P.S. Chrome users, don't give extensions a poor rating just because you don't understand what they do. That's extremely bad form; shame on you.
- (2014-06-28) nandi kumar: Not Working!!!!
- (2013-12-23) Onigawara Teppei: Awesome
- (2013-08-05) Evren Özkan: not working
- (2013-07-08) Simon: Sorry, but this is not useful. This should be in some programming repository and definitely not in chrome web store. Either make UI or delete it.
- (2018-08-26, v:1.0) open
it wont open
- (2018-07-19, v:1.0) voz
no me leelos mail con voz
- (2017-06-03, v:1.0) Maria Beatriz: Maria Beatriz
I don't understand , because I don't see of different with or without the extension. Can you help me? thanks you.
- (2016-02-23, v:1.0) Islam AbouShady: Can not get it to speak!
I have installed your extension and I see no changes to Chrome. No button, nor a contextual menu item for your extension. How may I get it to work (speak select text) please?