Remove distracting sidebars from StackOverflow.
NEW: this works on all StackExchange websites now :) thanks to everyone who contributed code! Because of this, the extension might ask you for more permissions. --- I love Stack Overflow. But the sidebars can get annoying, especially the Meta and the Hiring ones. Plus, many a hour have I wasted browsing through "Hot Network Questions" because I saw some interesting post on English Stack Exchange. And oh my god the Chat thing is so useless. This extension cleans all that up. I wanted to keep the Related and Linked questions though - that stuff's useful. The screenshots show a Before and After view of the same Stack Overflow question. GitHub: https://github.com/ShivanKaul/sidebaroverflow
- (2020-12-08) Janac Meena: No longer works to remove the "meta" sidebar?
- (2020-04-06) Forrest Hopkins: I've really struggled to not look at the HNQ sidebar for fear of Endgame spoilers, and it's not going well. This extension saved my life. Does exactly what it says it does. I do think it would be nice if it had some options though -- like which sidebars to remove. EDIT: Doesn't work for AskUbuntu or SuperUser or any site that's not a subdomain of SE.com -- really reduces the usefulness of the extension EDIT 2: Now works for other domains, thanks dev! EDIT 3: I've appreciated this extension a lot over the past year but it's time to put it out to pasture; there's now a "Hide HNQ" setting built into SE. Thanks to everyone involved for helping prove the demand for this feature!
- (2020-02-11) Max Flander: Beautiful, love you man ❤️
- (2019-05-03) EZ Carnivore: I've got ADD, and not having to see the big list of distractions on the side of Stack Overflow has been a huge help for me! Only suggestion is to also remove the Teams thing on the left side that pops up over the question randomly. Thanks for the great extension!
- (2018-12-07) fredsbend: After SE's recent addition of a right sidebar, along with the already intrusive left sidebar, I flipped a lid. Basically wrote them hate mail on meta, then made my own custom extension to fix the stupid site theme and get my screen space back. I was going to polish it up and upload to the Chrome store, but saw yours already here. It works perfectly and does nearly everything my custom one was dong. Thanks.
- (2018-01-20) William Henning: This extension is a life saver.
- (2017-11-17) Owen Shen: Does what it says it does.
- (2016-10-05) Alasdair North: Perfect. Installed it after wasted hours visiting Hot Network Questions. I shall now be forever focussed and never be distracted ever again!
- (2016-01-16) Barry McAlister: Nicely done extension, really does a great job at cleaning up web sites that have all those ads on the right side of the page. Page loads much faster with this extension. Kudo's to this developer.
- (2018-12-07, v:0.1.2) fredsbend: Please update to include server fault and superuser
It seems to work on SO and all the other SE sites, but not on serverfault.com or superuser.com. I don't visit those often, but when I do I'm in a state that can be easily distracted. Thanks.
- (2018-06-08, v:0.1.2) Jon McClung: Not just StackOverflow
I didn't see any way to upvote, so I'm seconding Matt Young. I would greatly appreciate it if this worked on all Stack Exchange sites!
- (2018-03-05, v:0.1.2) Matt Young: Option to enable on SuperUser and other Stack Exchange sites
Currently only hides Hot Network Questions on StackOverflow, but those tempting links appear on all Stack Exchange sites. Would be great to have the option to hide all of them.
- (2017-11-08, v:0.1.2) Matt Young: Hide red dot on review queue button
See here: https://meta.stackoverflow.com/a/358157/454526
- (2016-01-25, v:0.1.1) Suzana K.: does not work on Chrome Google Chrome 47.0.2526.80
It's a great idea but is it supposed to work on Google Chrome 47? I'm using Ubuntu 14.04. The add on does not change the SO website at all.