This extension allows you to listen to IPA on Wikipedia.
If you click on IPA (international phonetic alphabet) text on wikipedia, it links to a generic IPA page, which is quite frustrating. This extension adds a play button next to IPA text to read it aloud. Icons made by Freepik from http://www.flaticon.com is licensed by http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/ (CC 3.0 BY)
- (2021-09-19) Harry Brooke: Currently broken, looks like the cert expired again. use let's encrypt, we're not cavemen anymore ;)
- (2021-09-12) Luca S: unfortunately i could not get it to work. clicking the play button does nothing
- (2021-05-09) Luke Benes: Extremely useful for Wikipedia users that regularly use it as a language resource.
- (2021-01-27) Jeffrey Cohen: Works as expected!
- (2020-11-12) Kerem Yael Landman: Works as expected. Thanks!
- (2020-09-17) 坂本夏子: 680人使用との事。今これからに期待。
- (2020-09-03) Ethan: Doesn't consistently get the pronunciation correct; sometimes pronounces long O's as short O's, for example.
- (2020-03-30) Paweł Szczepański: Doesn't work anymore
- (2020-01-23) Max Snäll: No longer works as of january 23 2020
- (2019-10-15) Julie Smith: The extension doesn't work because the certificate on https://www.ipaaudio.click expired on 1 Sep 2019
- (2019-10-05) Ivan Dilber: Used to work great, but stopped working recently because the certificate on ipaaudio.click is not properly signed and API call fails.
- (2019-09-16) Dave Merrill: As of 9/15/2019 and Chrome 77.0.3865.75, it makes no sound, and throws this error: 'https://www.ipaaudio.click/audio' from origin 'chrome-extension://jkgihpigffcfeebgedpklldebdibbnne' has been blocked by CORS policy: Response to preflight request doesn't pass access control check: No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource. If an opaque response serves your needs, set the request's mode to 'no-cors' to fetch the resource with CORS disabled.
- (2018-10-20) Mitch Halley: well, it certainly works for English, but it doesn't work exactly as advertised. I tested this with the article about Eithne Ní Uallacháin (the example shown in the overview), and it ended up being pronounced more like /eɪneɪni ulɑhɑn/ rather than [ɛːhʲnʲɛ nʲiː ʊəlaxɑːnʲ]. I suppose it could work for figuring out how to Anglicize a given foreign name, but it absolutely does not read the IPA as written.
- (2018-06-07) Paul Rubenstein: Works as expected. Thanks!
- (2018-04-22) Lee Follis: Does exactly what it says it does, just click on the little play button and the word is read. Note: Doesn't seem to work if you use Wikiwand, so might not work with some wikipedia extensions (especially older ones).
- (2018-01-02) Luke Fixt: Works as expected. Would be great to let users change the voice, or auto-select based of location.
- (2017-08-31) Alasdair Macintyre: Seems to work well (not sure why Ross said it wasn't). Really should be built into wikipedia.
- (2017-08-28) Ross Teixeira: No longer works
- (2017-07-12) Ri Ck: The voice is too synthetic/robot and it is also fast and low... But I liked, is better than nothing.