Replaces straight quotes ("like this") with smart quotes (“like this”) in Blogger's post editor and Gmail's compose box.
Replaces some default punctuation characters in Blogger's post editor with better looking ones. The following items are replaced: - double quotes ("quotes" ⇒ “quotes”) - single quotes ('quotes' ⇒ ‘quotes’) - dashes (-- ⇒ — and --- ⇒ —) SUPPORTED SITES: - Blogger - Gmail HOW TO USE Once installed, this extension adds an icon to address bar when you are editing a Blogger blog post. Click on that icon to replace all matching punctuation characters. EXCEPTIONS Replacement is not done for text inside elements like <pre> or <code> or <tt>. SOURCE CODE Source code of this extension is available at https://github.com/manki/blogger-smart-quotes.
- (2022-06-02) Andrew P.: This would be great... but it doesn't seem to be working! I think that Blogger must no longer support this extension, since when I click on the icon, nothing changes.
- (2021-01-15) Russ Campbell: Does not seem to work on Google's Blogger editor, so what's the point of offering it?
- (2020-08-09) John Bainbridge: This is great but it's soon not going to be! I'm finding that it only works on my "Legacy" version of Google's Blogger. On the updated version this extension is not working. ARE THERE PLANS TO UPDATE THIS FEATURE FOR THE NEW BLOGGER INTERFACE?
- (2014-11-13) Wonderful! Works perfectly.
- (2013-07-04) Kacper Rucinski: Brilliant, just what is needed for English-language editing. However, the biggest drawback is lack of customisation option for other languages / quotation traditions: those that use „...”, «...», and others. - that is, the majority of world languages.
- (2012-08-14) Chris V: Works great, Google should add this as a default quote. Well done.
- (2012-07-12) Joshua Christensen: The ability to use this extension in Gmail is huge, and fixes the one big drawback (for me) of composing messages through the web interface. Works exactly as advertised — fantastic.
- (2012-05-25) Travis Washburn: This is so helpful. I really like it. Here's some feedback: * Could it do its job live—automatically making the switch instead of requiring the user to click it (I often forget to do it again at the end)? * Could it do it to post titles too? * Could it work throughout the browser—not just in Blogger? * If not in the whole browser, could it at least work in Google Docs too? * Could it handle converting this -- to this — as well? Just some thoughts. But not a criticism. It's great so far. You are awesome. Thanks for the sweet extension! (Oh, P.S., you might rename it "Curly Quotes" or "Smart Quotes" as those seem to be what they're commonly called and what people might search for.)
- (2021-01-15, v:1.1.7) Russ Campbell: Smart Punctuations
Smart Punctuations does not work in Blogger's post editor. Is there a plan for an update/fix?
- (2020-09-18, v:1.1.7) Charles Meyerson: This extension has stopped working with Blogger
I really miss it. Any chance of getting it to work with the new version of Blogger that Google forced on all of us today? Thanks.
- (2020-08-08, v:1.1.7) Charles Meyerson: Great extension
I use it around the clock. Great extension. But, sadly, it no longer works with the new version of Google Blogger. Might it be updated for 2020? I'm willing to pay!
- (2020-07-11, v:1.1.7) Caleb Wimble: Is this still under development?
Hi there! This is no longer working for me on Blogger using Chrome 83.0.4103.116 on Mac OS X 10.13.6 (it's also not working on my Windows 10 machine). The Smart Punctuation icon no longer appears on the address bar when I'm drafting posts on blogger. I'm not sure if this extension is still being developed, but I thought it would be worth checking. Thanks!
- (2018-05-11, v:1.1.7) forrest milich: punctuation
When I copy E-Mails from my TOSHIBA Lap-Top to my MFC-J6925DW Brother printer, my pages don't appear anymore with the time, dates, and page numbers.
- (2015-01-20, v:1.1.7) Joshua Christensen: "Inbox" support?
I still love this extension and use it on a daily basis. I recently started using Google's "Inbox" interface, and the one downside to it is not having the Smart Punctuations extension available. Could support possibly be added for messages composed at inbox.google.com? Thanks!
- (2012-11-01, v:1.1.4) Bill Blonigan: Doesn't work
This doesn't work for me in Gmail either, so I am writing about the same issues as Joshua Christensen wrote about yesterday. Also, Google released today a new version of Gmail that I'm not sure the extension would work in either. I'm sure you know about these things...
- (2012-10-30, v:1.1.4) Joshua Christensen: stopped working in gmail
Gmail seems to have changed something that has caused the extension to malfunction. For about a week the icon didn't appear when composing an email; now the icon is there, but clicking on it doesn't seem to do anything. Hoping it can be fixed! Great extension.