Adds the ability to add a bookmark to any place on a YouTube video (aka time-tags, notes, private comments).
This extension was written due to lack of a bookmarking system on YouTube and inspired by Pluralsight. I love the ability of Pluralsight to add to any place on a video my own thoughts, ideas and notes that have to be reviewed later or even exported and reviewed later on any other device in Evernote. So I've made something similar in a "Chrome Extension" form-factor! You can add multi-line comments to any place on a video and they will be visible only to you (until you want to share them!). The focus of this extension is shifted towards usability. Hotkeys are supported — they work inside the pop-up window and directly on YouTube's page. Depending on the interest in the extension a lot of features may be added later. Also, feedback is highly appreciated. So don't hesitate and support development! You will be able to: 1. Add a bookmark to any video. 2. Control any video with hotkeys (play\pause\rewind). 3. Quickly navigate to any bookmark without reloading a video. 4. Manage any previously added bookmarks (edit/delete). 5. See a list of all videos with bookmarks (and manage it). 6. Export bookmarks to a clipboard (for sharing with others). 7. Import bookmarks from a clipboard (from a friend or just from 'backup'). Use cases (ideas): 1. Education and learning: Invest in yourself by learning from YouTube videos. 2. Entertainment: You can bookmark the funniest moments in any video and share them with your friend. 3. Cooking: Mark different stages of a cooking video in order to quickly find the most important parts for you. Then export the recipe! 4. Programming: Save places that contains code or something that requires additional attention or reviewing. 5. Create a table of contents (TOC) for a video—and share it with others via a comment on the video's page. Save time for someone and someone will save it for you. Please support the extension development and help it grow! ## How does it work? ### Adding a bookmark Just navigate to any YouTube video and click on the extension icon. The pop-up will be opened. In order to add a bookmark just press the '+' (add) button. The bookmark will be added immediately to the video but without text. In order to add a text description for the bookmark, click the 'edit' button. You'll be redirected to an editor. Add any text; press 'save'. Done! ### Navigating to a bookmark In order to navigate to a bookmark (to go to a saved point in a video) just click on a bookmark. Try it. ### Exporting bookmarks for a video The bookmarks can be exported only to a particular video (not all bookmarks for all videos). In order to export it, navigate to a video on YouTube, open the extension and then click on the 'More' button (three dots in the right top corner) and then 'Export'. It will export your bookmarks in a YAML format. Another way is to export them in a 'simple' format—use the 'Export (simple)' button. ### Importing bookmarks for a video ! Important: when you import your bookmarks, the old ones will be removed. In order to import a previously exported bookmark, navigate to a video to which you want to import bookmarks, open the extension and then click on the 'More' button (three dots in the right top corner) and then click 'Import'. Paste the exported bookmarks into the opened window and press 'Import'. ## Hotkeys (works inside a pop-up) The extension also supports hotkeys. They are: Video navigation: `Space` - play/pause `Comma` - backward 5 seconds `Period` - forward 5 seconds Bookmarking: `a` - add immediate bookmark `shift+i` - add bookmark with a text `i` - add text for an immediate bookmark Editing a bookmark's text: `enter` - save changes `shift+enter` - add a new line `ctrl+b` - cancel editing Change-log: - 0.1.1.0 (March 13, 2021) - add experimental progress-bar annotations on coursera.org, etc - NEW: Experimental progress-bar annotations on coursera.org (position-fixer isn't working yet) - NEW: Notifications on mouse hover on progress bar are now displayed on top of visual markers. Previously they were showing in the top right corner of the page - NEW: "Copy bookmark with range" feature exports a time range to the clipboard - example: "00:21-00:24 incredible trick" - available in the bookmark-list (the popup) by: - long mouse click on "copy" button on any bookmark - Ctrl+Shift+C in the default hotkey mode (configurable) - YY (shift+y twice) in the vim hotkey mode - FIX: YouTube mouse over bookmarks on the progress-bar not showing a bookmark's note - FIX: Invalid position of bookmark markers on progress-bar while toggling the full-screen in a video 0.1.0.2 (January 27, 2021) - disable google payments verification 0.1.0.1 (August 31, 2020) - fix simple import broken in some cases 0.1.0.0 (August 3, 2020) - add list navigation hotkeys to the popup, fixes, bump the minor version - NEW: Add an experimental vim-like hotkey mode to the popup window (see options > popup options > hotkey mode) - NEW: Add the ability to use keyboard shortcuts in the bookmark-list - selecting bookmarks - select the first bookmark in the list - select the last bookmark in the list - select next bookmark in the list - select previous bookmark in the list - editing the selected bookmark - coping the selected bookmark - deleting the selected bookmark - navigating to the selected bookmark - NEW: Add the ability to use keyboard shortcuts in the video-list for - selecting videos - select the first video in the list - select the last video in the list - select next video in the list - select previous video in the list - deleting the selected video - navigating to the selected video - NEW: bookmarks and videos are also selectable using a keyboard during the search in the popup - NEW: highlight an active bookmark on opening the extension - NEW: highlight an active video on opening the video list - NEW: option to configure the escape button behavior for the popup - FIX: incorrect behavior of the free trier - limits are working correctly now - FIX: escape now cancels editing bookmark instead of closing the extension - Notice 1: for the full list of available commands for the default hotkey mode see options > popup options > hotkeys - Notice 2: the popup code is almost completely rewritten - a lot of bugs may be introduced - Notice 3: the popup can be opened by the shortcut too in Chrome: Manage Extensions > Burger Menu > Keyboard shortcuts 0.0.14.1 (May 25, 2020) - fix purchases not detected due to minimization 0.0.14.0 (May 7, 2020) - ability to copy bookmark via a button, reset hotkeys to default; possibly performance improvements 0.0.13.2 (April 24, 2020) - add coursera support, fix supported video detection 0.0.13.0 (November 18, 2019) - add new feature: "add bookmark and fix position", bug-fixes 0.0.12.0 (June 9, 2019) - add options for "+" button, add hotkeys configuration for the popup, small enhancements 0.0.11.0 (June 1, 2019) - add progress bar annotation for youtube.com, target chrome 65 0.0.10.0 (May 27, 2019) - add page-scope hotkeys, preferences and notifications 0.0.9.0 (May 23, 2019) - add support for EDX, embed player 0.0.8.0 (April 24, 2019) - add support for global hotkeys (configurable via the extensions -> 'keyboard shortcuts' in chrome) 0.0.7.0 (April 5, 2019) - (1) add support for HTML5 players on khanacademy.org and skillshare.com (2) disable 'add' button on non-supported pages. 0.0.6.0 (March 7, 2019) - add support for bookmarking on vimcasts.org 0.0.5.0 (March 1, 2019) - add the ability to search inside bookmarks and videos (press CTRL+F to trigger the search-bar)
- (2021-06-26) Ben Witschey: this extension works as intended and i love it! PLEASE never let it become outdated and unusable!!!
- (2021-06-12) SATISH KUMAR: SYNC WITH OTHER APPS WOULD BE GRATEFUL(NOTION). BUT AT LEAST AS FAR AS EXPORTING, IF IT INCLUDES THE VIDEO LINK ALONG WITHT THE NOTES THEN IT WOULD BE GREAT. LOVE TO SEE IT GROW .
- (2021-05-30) Rainbowsaur: It does what it needs to. Bit unclean though can be buggy with selecting videos after deleting on in list. Would love if this could support netflix aswell.
- (2021-04-12) Крафтист Официальный: good extension, but 1. add the ability to remove hotkeys, it is absolutely necessary 2. when i delete an entry from the videos folder, it is the only one that's visible (until i reopen the extension window), when actually it should be the opposite -- it should disappear
- (2021-02-18) A Amit: Excellent plugin. Works very well. Exporting is very easy (even though it took time for me to realize that the export just copies the content directly to your clipboard rather than exporting to a file - thanks to the developer!). Have some suggestions for the developer(s) 1. Ability to shrink/expand the content of each bookmark so that there is less scrolling. Also there should be a scroll bar on the right side, so that one can traverse up and down easily 2. The + button should be always visible. Right now if there are many bookmarks, then the plus + sign does not appear if you are at the bottom of the bookmark list 3. Ability to "star" mark certain important bookmarks 4. Tooltip of the bookmark on the youtube timeline, when the user hovers over the orange mark. Currently we only see the orange marks on the youtube timeline. 5. While adding a bookmark using the hotkey (CTRL + A), ability to directly enter the content of the bookmark in a popup, rather than going to the plugin window, spotting the bookmark and then editing it Regards
- (2021-02-02) Nifty Sweater: This app is exactly what I was looking for and it works great. Super useful for bookmarking the important parts of lectures so you can go back and review them.
- (2021-01-26) kabayanhustler: Great! Have been looking for this extension everywhere! It'd be great for the next update to have the ability to rearrange the videos in order and have their designated folders per video title. It's very user friendly. Great job for the developer of this extension.
- (2021-01-14) Travis Cook: It has potential.. but desperately needs a 'share/save' button (or quick way to copy video title, link/URL, and notes with timecodes(links) to clipboard). The 'export' options are currently useless as they don't contain the URL or title! only the notes..
- (2020-12-29) husoranger: Well, this is something great, but there must be a preference to disable all hotkeys, coz it conflicts with other extensions and so on, i think all extensions must have a prefernce to be able to disable hotkeys at user's will... I gave one star only for attention, app is normally great, Thanks
- (2020-09-20) Sumon Nath: Helpful !
- (2020-08-19) karl chan: For the export function of bookmarks, where are they exported to? How to access it? Thanks!
- (2020-07-07) Space Time: This is a great idea. A while ago I was looking for something like this but couldn't find it anywhere so I'm so glad that I stumbled upon this while searching for something completely different.
- (2020-04-09) Royer Adames: Great it works and easy to use. It makes studying videos much easier, thank you. Would love: Indent bookmark A whole page for viewing( I have 2 monitors, I have the space.)
- (2020-03-03) Jose RG: Working great, i wonder if the purchase is one time fee or is monthly...
- (2020-01-04) Vaidas Pastuh: Useful, but need option to change position for popup text. I mean at this moment very annoying to hover and later read text in top-right side.. Also bookmarks markers is a little small. They could expand a little before mouse over.
- (2020-01-04) Zsombor Erdődy-Nagy: I was looking for exactly this thing for guitar tutorial videos. Working as expected, good job! One idea I have is adding integrations with some common cloud storage solutions like GDrive / Dropbox so I can sync bookmarks across multiple devices without manual import / export.
- (2019-10-24) SHAAH HAMEED: Works!
- (2019-07-20) Marcus Viar: The only extension that actually works with the current version of YouTube (07/20/2019).
- (2019-06-03) Gersivan Oliveira: Bem útil, exporta também como texto simples, teclas de atalho..
- (2019-05-26) Hilfreiches Addon. Wenn man auch die Zeit und nicht nur den Text nachträglich per Tastatur ändern könnte, hätte ich 5 Sterne gegeben :-)
- (2019-02-25) Демьян Бельский: It can be useful for study. Adding bookmarks to video is a brilliant idea. We can share bookmarks via export/import and it's great for teachers and tutors. There are a lack of possibilities but I like this idea and wish it evolve in something amazing.
- (2021-03-29, v:0.1.1.0) Rui Zou: Don't know how to use this extension
I may miss something. But it doesn't show up in the upper right corner of Chrome like other extension. Basically I don't know how to use it and there is no documentation for this either. I really like the idea. This would be really helpful it works.
- (2020-12-01, v:0.1.0.1) MCoo k: color and highlight in text with hotkey
Hi, I am really enjoying using this with payed version. One thing I want to suggest is to allow the users to change the color of the text or highlight text with hot key like may users can those things in an app Notion. It doesn't have to be fancy like them but it could be the selling point. Thanks.
- (2020-11-25, v:0.1.0.1) Diane Defores: COMPATIBILITY
Hello doo you work wth vivaldi browser ? I can't buy or export bookmarks... Is the extension still maintained ? Thank you
- (2020-04-20, v:0.0.13.1) jayanthan mylvaganum: payments
I want to upgrade to have unlimited bookmarks, but card keeps getting declined. it works fine for other transactions
- (2019-09-02, v:0.0.12.1) Ron Cohen: Can't add any boomkarks
I have just tried installing Smart Bookmarks in Chrome on two different computers. In both cases when I click on the + button I get an error message, "cannot read property "Title" of undefined".
- (2019-06-03, v:0.0.11.2) Gersivan Oliveira: Text Box and Insert bookmark
Option to enter text as soon as you enter the bookmark
- (2019-04-15, v:0.0.7.1) Tee Dub: To Help You Really Promote the Extension...
You should add more screenshots and a YT video demo for people to get a basic feel and understanding of usage/application. It seems like a really good app, but not sure most people will spend the time to read all the details unless they can see it in action first... jus' offering ma 2 cents!! Thanks.