Adds the ability to add a bookmark to any place on a YouTube video (aka time-tags, notes, private comments).
This extension was written due to lack of a bookmarking system on YouTube and inspired by Pluralsight. I love the ability of Pluralsight to add to any place on a video my own thoughts, ideas and notes that have to be reviewed later or even exported and reviewed later on any other device in Evernote. So I've made something similar in a "Chrome Extension" form-factor! You can add multi-line comments to any place on a video and they will be visible only to you (until you want to share them!). The focus of this extension is shifted towards usability. Hotkeys are supported — they work inside the pop-up window and directly on YouTube's page. Depending on the interest in the extension a lot of features may be added later. Also, feedback is highly appreciated. So don't hesitate and support development! You will be able to: 1. Add a bookmark to any video. 2. Control any video with hotkeys (play\pause\rewind). 3. Quickly navigate to any bookmark without reloading a video. 4. Manage any previously added bookmarks (edit/delete). 5. See a list of all videos with bookmarks (and manage it). 6. Export bookmarks to a clipboard (for sharing with others). 7. Import bookmarks from a clipboard (from a friend or just from 'backup'). Use cases (ideas): 1. Education and learning: Invest in yourself by learning from YouTube videos. 2. Entertainment: You can bookmark the funniest moments in any video and share them with your friend. 3. Cooking: Mark different stages of a cooking video in order to quickly find the most important parts for you. Then export the recipe! 4. Programming: Save places that contains code or something that requires additional attention or reviewing. 5. Create a table of contents (TOC) for a video—and share it with others via a comment on the video's page. Save time for someone and someone will save it for you. Please support the extension development and help it grow! ## How does it work? ### Adding a bookmark Just navigate to any YouTube video and click on the extension icon. The pop-up will be opened. In order to add a bookmark just press the '+' (add) button. The bookmark will be added immediately to the video but without text. In order to add a text description for the bookmark, click the 'edit' button. You'll be redirected to an editor. Add any text; press 'save'. Done! ### Navigating to a bookmark In order to navigate to a bookmark (to go to a saved point in a video) just click on a bookmark. Try it. ### Exporting bookmarks for a video The bookmarks can be exported only to a particular video (not all bookmarks for all videos). In order to export it, navigate to a video on YouTube, open the extension and then click on the 'More' button (three dots in the right top corner) and then 'Export'. It will export your bookmarks in a YAML format. Another way is to export them in a 'simple' format—use the 'Export (simple)' button. ### Importing bookmarks for a video ! Important: when you import your bookmarks, the old ones will be removed. In order to import a previously exported bookmark, navigate to a video to which you want to import bookmarks, open the extension and then click on the 'More' button (three dots in the right top corner) and then click 'Import'. Paste the exported bookmarks into the opened window and press 'Import'. ## Hotkeys (works inside a pop-up) The extension also supports hotkeys. They are: Video navigation: `Space` - play/pause `Comma` - backward 5 seconds `Period` - forward 5 seconds Bookmarking: `a` - add immediate bookmark `shift+i` - add bookmark with a text `i` - add text for an immediate bookmark Editing a bookmark's text: `enter` - save changes `shift+enter` - add a new line `ctrl+b` - cancel editing Change-log: 0.0.14.1 (May 25, 2020) - fix purchases not detected due to minimization 0.0.14.0 (May 7, 2020) - ability to copy bookmark via a button, reset hotkeys to default; possibly performance improvements 0.0.13.2 (April 24, 2020) - add coursera support, fix supported video detection 0.0.13.0 (November 18, 2019) - add new feature: "add bookmark and fix position", bug-fixes 0.0.12.0 (June 9, 2019) - add options for "+" button, add hotkeys configuration for the popup, small enhancements 0.0.11.0 (June 1, 2019) - add progress bar annotation for youtube.com, target chrome 65 0.0.10.0 (May 27, 2019) - add page-scope hotkeys, preferences and notifications 0.0.9.0 (May 23, 2019) - add support for EDX, embed player 0.0.8.0 (April 24, 2019) - add support for global hotkeys (configurable via the extensions -> 'keyboard shortcuts' in chrome) 0.0.7.0 (April 5, 2019) - (1) add support for HTML5 players on khanacademy.org and skillshare.com (2) disable 'add' button on non-supported pages. 0.0.6.0 (March 7, 2019) - add support for bookmarking on vimcasts.org 0.0.5.0 (March 1, 2019) - add the ability to search inside bookmarks and videos (press CTRL+F to trigger the search-bar)
- (2020-04-09) Royer Adames: Great it works and easy to use. It makes studying videos much easier, thank you. Would love: Indent bookmark A whole page for viewing( I have 2 monitors, I have the space.)
- (2020-03-03) Jose RG: Working great, i wonder if the purchase is one time fee or is monthly...
- (2020-01-04) Vaidas Pastuh: Useful, but need option to change position for popup text. I mean at this moment very annoying to hover and later read text in top-right side.. Also bookmarks markers is a little small. They could expand a little before mouse over.
- (2020-01-04) Zsombor Erdődy-Nagy: I was looking for exactly this thing for guitar tutorial videos. Working as expected, good job! One idea I have is adding integrations with some common cloud storage solutions like GDrive / Dropbox so I can sync bookmarks across multiple devices without manual import / export.
- (2019-10-24) SHAAH HAMEED: Works!
- (2019-07-20) Marcus Viar: The only extension that actually works with the current version of YouTube (07/20/2019).
- (2019-06-03) Gersivan Oliveira: Bem útil, exporta também como texto simples, teclas de atalho..
- (2019-05-26) Hilfreiches Addon. Wenn man auch die Zeit und nicht nur den Text nachträglich per Tastatur ändern könnte, hätte ich 5 Sterne gegeben :-)
- (2019-02-25) Демьян Бельский: It can be useful for study. Adding bookmarks to video is a brilliant idea. We can share bookmarks via export/import and it's great for teachers and tutors. There are a lack of possibilities but I like this idea and wish it evolve in something amazing.
- (2020-04-20, v:0.0.13.1) jayanthan mylvaganum: payments
I want to upgrade to have unlimited bookmarks, but card keeps getting declined. it works fine for other transactions
- (2019-09-02, v:0.0.12.1) Ron Cohen: Can't add any boomkarks
I have just tried installing Smart Bookmarks in Chrome on two different computers. In both cases when I click on the + button I get an error message, "cannot read property "Title" of undefined".
- (2019-06-03, v:0.0.11.2) Gersivan Oliveira: Text Box and Insert bookmark
Option to enter text as soon as you enter the bookmark
- (2019-04-15, v:0.0.7.1) Tee Dub: To Help You Really Promote the Extension...
You should add more screenshots and a YT video demo for people to get a basic feel and understanding of usage/application. It seems like a really good app, but not sure most people will spend the time to read all the details unless they can see it in action first... jus' offering ma 2 cents!! Thanks.