Easily check the canonical tag of a page
A lightweight and extremely easy Chrome extension that tells you the canonical source of any URL you are on. No more combing through the source code to understand if/when canonical tags point to a new destination. This extension does all the heavy lifting for you. This extension will display one of three values. GREEN (self canonical) AMBER (Canonicalized) or RED (error) Below are the conditions Inspect Canonical tests for, in the order it tests for them: RED: 1. Page contains noindex robots meta Message: "Page contains robots 'noindex' tag. Canonical tags are ignored. Click to view source" 2. No canonical in head but there is one elsewhere Message: "Canonical tag exists but not in <head>. Click to view source" 3. No canonical tag at all Message: "Page has no canonical tag. Click to view source" 4. More than one canonical tag on page Message: "Multiple ([X]) canonical tags found. Click to view source" 5. Canonical exists but is missing the href attribute Message: "Canonical tag is missing 'href' attribute. Click to view source" - This is an unlikely case but still something I wanted to check for AMBER: 6. Canonical present but differs to current URL Message: "Canonical tag points to another URL. Click to visit URL: [URL]" GREEN: 7. Canonical is present and correct Message: "Canonical tag points to current URL. Click to view source" So that's 7 hurdles to jump through to get a green status.
- (2019-11-09) Stanislav Lee: Excellent and Compact!
- (2019-07-17) serge esteves: Très pratique ! Avec le code couleur du plugin, On voit d'un coup d'oeil si le canonical de la page pointe vers une autre url ou si il y a un autre problème avec le canonical. Thanks a lot Bro !
- (2019-04-30) Simon Howland: Perfect. Thanks!
- (2019-03-12) What an innovative tool!
- (2019-01-31) Nate Plaunt: Nice little Canonical checker tool. Works great and gets you the info you need.
- (2019-01-31) Andrew Hagemann: A perfect light weight canonical checker. It's not cumbersome like most SEO extensions.
- (2019-01-30) Griffin Roer: Easy to use and works as advertised. Saves time from having to look at view-source or use bulkier extensions.