A browser language switching extention / plugin written and designed by Hlawuleka Maswanganyi
A free browser language switching extension/plugin that's very simple to install and use, offers a very easy / intuitive way for adding and removing languages. Supports both bulk and single language deletion. Data is synchronized between Webextension's Storage and the native browser localStorage API (uses 'als-language' and 'als-languages' - for a JSON formatted object that shows the languages you've added for the selected group) as localstorage keys.
- (2021-05-22) Blaise Popov: Set not valid accept-language
- (2021-04-16) Tate Shepherd: Also not able to get this extension to work. Some better documentation would be nice. I've downloaded the extension, enabled it for the page, and changed the language in the extension so that it says "current language: something else" tried refreshing the page and looked for some sort of activate button in the extension. But nothing seems to change the page language
- (2021-04-08) Aaaron Summers: Thank you.. thank you.. thank you again. Your extension was an answer to my prayers for google's reverting to local languages bug. You are many times better and worthy than all their crowd put together for such a necessary and useful tool. I hope another genius comes up with an extension to get international or country of choice selection instead of distasteful and strange local content selected by geolocation.
- (2021-04-08) Hamid Abbaasi: Thanks for the great plugin, and I had some suggestions for improving it: - add option for language switch base on IP address - add option for exclude specific site from language switching
- (2021-03-18) Мир Артика: Very good working!!
- (2021-03-10) Julien Levesque: It's not working for me on any page I've tested it on.
- (2021-01-21) Lester Li: You should make it work ahead of thinking about donation. Useless for developers.
- (2021-01-17) Лиям: I genuinely love anything that works and is helpful to me. Hlawuleka I use this extension and I barely notice it since it works so well. I talked to you and you listened to your community's feedback we all make mistakes and our best I am so glad to have your extension on my browser, much love to you and keep this up ! ;)
- (2020-12-21) - adilbo: it forces you to change the search engine I can no longer recommend it
- (2020-12-14) Stuart Shepherd: I've been using this extension since QLS stopped working, unfortunately now that it forces you to change the search engine I can no longer recommend it (I've recommended this to dozens of people in the past) and I am now uninstalling the extension. Yes the search engine switch is indicated in the store description but that does not make it any more acceptable to users.
- (2020-12-12) Yk Mk: Chromeで使う言語を手軽に切り替えられるけど、検索エンジンをMicrosotBingに変える極悪仕様。入れないことをお勧めします
- (2020-11-20) Ph pema: I used the addon for years. It was working the way it should. Since the last update it wants to change the default search engine. This is not acceptable! I remove this addon until this is fixed.
- (2020-11-18) I was happy with that extension since day 1... until the last update in November 2020. Now, it changes Chrome's default Google search to a shady one named ntsmartfinder.com and automatically, without even letting the user approving it. I've knew it thanks to a Chrome pop-up telling me that my search engine was changed and if I wanted to switch back to Chrome or keep it like this. Terrible move from your side, you didn't even notice the user before doing that, this is shady. I remove the extension and will find a better one. Your devs made a bad choice.
- (2020-11-10) Ilya Shinkarenko: Was working fine for years, but now suddenly switched to use ntsmartfinder.com instead of Google as default search engine. There is NO WAY to unconfigure or to refuse to do so. VERY ANNOYING. Uninstalled.
- (2020-11-09) Alex Tomkins: Avoid - latest update tries to change search engine. Also looks like 1.2.1 tries to insert ads into the language switcher popup, but fortunately Chrome filters them out due to security restrictions. Beware, and uninstall!
- (2020-11-09) Drew Shafer: It's a shame - this is a nice little extension that really helped my team with QA work, but the attempt to switch the default search engine makes it too shady to keep around. I do not recommend anyone install this, no matter how useful you find it. There is _no_ information available online about this ntsmartfinder.com site, where it wants to redirect searches. As far as I can tell, it currently just redirects searches to google, but in the future, who knows where searches will go? The total lack of transparency makes this a non-starter. I understand that developers need to get paid, and that is probably the motivation behind the search engine change. However, I can only say "probably" because there is no explanation for why the change is necessary. How are searches being monetized? What information is disclosed? Who owns ntsmartfinder.com? Note to the dev: sorry you made this choice. Next time just set up a paypal tip jar or something. I understand that developers need to get paid. This is not the way.
- (2020-11-09) Kelvin You: Why does it set my default search engine to ntsmartfinder.com? What's the purpose?
- (2020-11-08) Ben Bezos: Works, but changes your search engine without asking!
- (2020-11-06) Mike Clarkson: Works well, but don't like how it changes your default search. Yes, you can change it back, but don't know how it changed it anyway.
- (2020-11-06) Eric Johnston: I really liked this extension, but there was an update and today it requires new permissions Change your search settings to: ntsmartfinder.com. No thanks.
- (2020-11-06) Arian Hojat: Btw recently after an update, it changes Chrome's default Google search to theirs ... Not sure if the page they switch to is safe or not... but seems shady. It will change it to ntsmartfinder.com?
- (2020-11-06) Alan Muntadas: Worked partially. Specifically, it also changed the default search engine without permission in the background. therefore immediatly removed.
- (2020-11-06) Michael Keppler: Trying to change the browser search engine is an absolute no-go for extensions with unrelated functionality. Such extensions cannot be trusted anymore.
- (2020-07-20) Trot Young: 确实可以切换网页的语言。
- (2020-06-26) Ally Tu: I am trying to use the extension as vaguely explained in your descriptions nut so far no changes with the languages has occurred, is there a method to do this properly?
- (2020-03-07) Marcus Hsu: Works for me. But sometimes the browser's lang is not as the plugin shows. You need to set it again.The UI design needs a lot of improvement including background and fonts.
- (2020-01-28) Eugene Tiutiunnyk: The UI is bulky but at least it works in Chrome where other extensions do not work at all.
- (2020-01-27) Mohamed Ali RIAHI: Work Perfectly!
- (2019-12-04) 高执: do not work for me
- (2019-11-07) Eiji Kawahara: Not working with navigator.language
- (2019-11-07) Rui Pacheco: Good idea but unable to distinguish pt-pt from pt-br. So when pt is selected, pt-br language is fetched. WHen br is selected -> en.
- (2019-08-10) Maarten Mulder: It works but not more than that. It is not handy to add new langauges as it does not support language codes like nl-BE, fr-BE, et cetera. The developer managed to make something so easy still difficult
- (2019-07-07) Ben Nizette: Simple, easy, worked straight away
- (2019-07-06) n ascentt: Didn't do anything at all for me. Set to English, but never changes anything on websites. Managed to find the addon 'X-Forwarded-For Header' by Philip Lawrence which works perfectly.
- (2019-06-20) Benny Tsabba: The only lang switcher that really works!
- (2019-02-26) Ryo Shimabukuro: Great! Been using this since quick language switcher no longer available. If you guys could add Chinese traditional as well that would be great
- (2019-02-22) Wataru Ashihara: Still works on Chrome 72.0.3626.109 as of Feb 22, 2019
- (2018-12-11) Alexandr Nazarov: Didn't work for my case at all. OS: MacOS Siera 10.13.6 Browser: Chrome 70.0.3538.110 Application: Angular 6.1.0 using ngx-translate 11.0.1 Code to get locale: translate.getBrowserLang() Hope it will help to improve.
- (2018-12-07) Barak Noam Haviv: I didn't understand what it does and how should I used it. So I don't know if it works or not. Removing ....
- (2018-04-18) Nico: It doesn't switch the language.
- (2017-03-20) Anthony Tivani: Awesome and eazy to use! with advanced features...
- (2020-11-06, v:1.2.1) Joel Friedrick: Why change searchin engine?
Why does the app need access to change my search provider to ntsmartfinder.com? No thanks.
- (2020-11-06, v:1.2.1) Лиям: Search Engine Settings Take-Over
Hi there Hlawuleka, How are you doing ? First of all thank you very much for your extension "Advanced Language Switcher" it is awesome and I've using it everyday since I installed it. Though now the new update ? Is making my use of it completely impossible since now it's taking over my search engine settings and setting it to "ntsmartfinder.com" please seriously fix this I'd love to use this extension again. Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks a lot. Much love.
- (2020-10-11, v:1.2.0) Andrey Kravchuk: Incorrect language codes/names
The Brazilian Portuguese language code is pt-BR, not just "br". Plus the "portugese" spelling is incorrect. I guess you have just added languages manually instead of importing the standard list.
- (2020-06-02, v:1.2.0) Stefan Simon: Example Video
This extension does not change the language of my website. It seems I'm not the only one with that problem. Could you upload an example video somewhere in case I did something wrong?
- (2020-04-19, v:1.2.0) Marek Toman: Incorrect flag Czech Republic
Hi, you are using incorect flag for Czech Republic (Czechia as short name for country, Czech as language). Please can you change it to correct one? Thank you a lot for great plugin! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic#/media/File:Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg
- (2019-05-07, v:1.1.9) Remco Lam: Adding additional languages
Hi, Maybe you could add an option in the settings to add a custom language? I wanted to select UK english, but it's not there. The same with Dutch-netherlands and dutch-belgium. So if it's possible to add a description and the language code manually, that would be great, then I can add English as "en-uk"
- (2019-03-05, v:1.1.8) Ryo Shimabukuro: Traditional Chinese and availability of country's flag
Could you add Traditional Chinese on the language list on next update? That'll be great help on my work. Also, I noticed some flags are missing on the language selection list. (Japanese, Korean, Chinese) Btw, I really like this product so far! Great work.
- (2019-02-20, v:1.1.7) Jon Lindström Bolmgren: Swedish Flag
This is really minor, but currently the extension shows the wrong flag for Swedish.
- (2019-01-31, v:1.1.6) It looks like this no longer changes the accept lang header in Chrome 72.x
Noticed after upgrading to 72.x that it no longer worked. Confirmed by changing lang w/ the extension and not seeing any different in the accept-language header value.
- (2018-09-03, v:1.1.6) Dan Jacobson: Is there a github page
Is there a github page? You see if you reply to this message I won't get notified. Nor can I reply back to you, I can only reply to myself. Anyway I'm at [email protected]
- (2018-08-28, v:1.1.6) Holger Christiansen: With the Extension active, Facebook Messenger thinks it is offline
When I activate the Advanced Page Language Selector, my Facebook Messenger always says that it is currently offline, and I have to manually reload the page to get new messages. That alone makes the extension next to unusable right now :(
- (2018-05-24, v:1.1.6) Dan Jacobson: Switching Language by URL match
Here's what I want to do: In Chromium Preferences, I want for all sites: Order languages based on your preference English (United States) Chinese (Traditional) to be in effect, except sites that match *.example.org where I want Order languages based on your preference Chinese (Traditional) English (United States) to be in effect. You see different sites have different quirks I am going crazy having to switch manually. Can your extension help me?
- (2018-04-24, v:1.1.6) Strange Bugs
I've changed the color of the color for the badge from Red to Green since I really don't like Red unless it is for important dangerous error. But when I load the extension in dev mode there is some errors that happen (not related tro the badge color) as soon I click on the icon. Look here a screencast you will have a better understanding of the problem: http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cFfZrwbXFM I'd really like if you could tell how to fix those error since it's the first time I encounter those type of errors. If you need more information just ask me