Select text, right-click, and Microsoft's Immersive Reader will help you read it! NOT ENDORSED BY MICROSOFT!
After you install this [UNOFFICIAL!] extension, you'll be able to select text and right-click it to use Microsoft's Immersive Reader with it! This extension is not published or endorsed by Microsoft in any way, and it's not supported by any company. But I'll keep it going for free as long as its useful!
- (2021-03-26) Airton Pereira: What is the total number of characters that the extension can read?
- (2021-03-09) Molly Pfaff: This is SO fantastic: thank you! I really wanted to listen to textbooks that don't have an audiobook version, and Immersive Reader is a lot more pleasant to listen to than the Google books speech-to-text engine.
- (2021-01-07) Aadit Sahu - XA - 1: Wow! I love this immersive reader in my Win PC but when I shifted to Mac, I couldn't use that feature. So, I began to search for it which can be installed and finally I found this exact perfect app for my Mac to use it for reading or writing purpose as a website is sometimes very clumsy & full of advertisements. Hence, this tiny extension has helped me! Thank you!!
- (2020-12-14) Casper Bloemendaal: Works great! I don't know if this is possible but it'd be nice to make this work on PDF files opened in Chrome as well!
- (2020-10-23) Ti Wolpov: Great extension! Not only does it read any webpage open in the Chrome browser, it also works great in Canvas (learning management system). It can even read pdf files put in Canvas! This will help so many special ed & ESL learners.
- (2020-10-08) Royer Adames: This is the best
- (2020-08-30) Marc Goodman: I was curious about using Immersive Reader to read Google Mail and came across this highly rated 'unofficial' Chrome extension. I have a correspondent who sends large blocks of text in their emails and for this reason, I have avoided reading them in a timely manner. Installed this extension, highlighted the text of the email, and instantly I have a more 'readable' email to work with. And when I say 'readable', Immersive Reader can literally read your text in a very precise and clear voice (female or male) that is astounding! I can't wait to try it for an extended period of time to read all my emails, long and short. And it works on all your documents within your Chrome Browser not just Google Docs or Gmail. Just hightlight the text you want read and then right click.
- (2020-04-09) Roberto Palumbo: It would be nice if the immersive reader remembered the settings: it resets back to the default every time so I always have to change voice or background color
- (2020-03-15) Chioma51 C: Being a senior citizen this helps me to focus without all the other distractions. I'm happy now to get on the internet. Thank You!!!
- (2020-03-12) Chris Boates: :D stoker%lvlover9xxxxxxxxxxxxx ? ¿ :)
- (2020-02-17) i dont have a name but i have a name: it bad
- (2020-01-31) Brent Warner: I love this app for supporting my ELLs - so much functionality that can help them process and understand the web better. One thing I wish is that it worked inside Google Docs, so I could have students analyze texts that I provide or customize for them. That would get 6 stars - for now, this app will have to settle for 5.
- (2020-01-28) Abebe Gebregiorgis: ok.
- (2020-01-13) Chris Abrey: If work in a classroom you should check this extension out. Also, check out using Office Lens to convert paper documents to immersive reader format. There are apps for android and IOS. Both offer additional options you may find useful for supporting students with weak reading skills.
- (2019-12-19) Wanda Terral: Thank you so much for this extension! It will be a great addition to our UDL toolbox. I know it works on websites but, since it using the Chrome context menus, it doesn't work inside of G Suite apps (that I can tell) unless the file is published to the web. Any chance you might investigate how to add it to the context menus inside the G Suite apps? :-)
- (2019-12-19) John R. Sowash: Works well on a Chromebook! While there are many text-to-speech extensions this one provides a unique interface and customization options I haven't see in other readers. Nice work!
- (2019-11-12) Rajas MR: Works very well.. job well done by developer
- (2019-10-28) Joe Marquez: We all love the Immersive reader in our Microsoft products. But nearly 70% of all schools have chromebooks where the Immersive reader is not embedded into the platform. Now you can add the Immersive Reader into your Chrome ecosystem by adding the unofficial Immersive Reader Chrome Extension. Find it HERE: bit.ly/GooExtensions
- (2019-10-13) AT Lab Community Vision: It works!!! So easy, thank you!!
- (2019-08-30) Greg&Karyn: THANK YOU! This is going to be so helpful for those using Chromebooks who don't have access to Immersive Reader in Microsoft Edge. I loved that it didn't ask for a bunch of unnecessary permissions. I avoid many extensions because of the permissions factor.