Lookup free online dictionary and thesaurus sites for definitions.
Look up words in free online dictionaries/thesaurus. Update: Use Ctrl + Shift + L (Cmd + Shift + L on Mac) as a short cut to lookup in the first one of your selected dictionaries. Current version includes: 1. Cambridge Advanced Learner's 2. Longman Contemporary English 3. The Free Dictionary 4. Urban Dictionary 5. Merriam Webster Dictionary 6. Wiktionary 7. Thesaurus 8. Merriam Webster Thesaurus 9. Oxford Advanced Learner's 10. Google definitions Search 11. Investopedia 12. Dictionary.com 13. Macmillan Dictionary 14. Macmillan Thesaurus 15. Accounting Dictionary 16. Reverso Dictionary 17. Collins English Dictionary 18. Collins Thesaurus 19. Collins English-French Dictionary 20. Collins English-German Dictionary 21. Collins English-Spanish Dictionary 22. Collins English-Italian Dictionary 23. Linguee Dictionary 24. Merriam Webster Learners Dictionary 25. Collins Cobuild Learners Dictionary 26. Oxford Advanced Learners - American English 27. Macmillan Dictionary - American and too many more. Users can choose to use popup or tabs to loookup words. Selection Features: ======================== Click on the dictionary icon on the top-right corner of your Chrome to customize. Users can: 1. select (enable/disable) dictionaries 2. drag and re-order of dictionaries 3. select lookup type (tabs or popup) 5. disable extension Let me know (prasadcnair at gmail.com) if you would like to see one more dictionary of your choice! I will add it for you. :)
- (2020-04-03) Rephraseit: Perfect. Need more explanation regarding the popup availability
- (2020-02-08) kuyaC: The one for investopedia doesn't work.
- (2019-11-22) Keisuke Uchida: This extension is very useful! We can set many dictionaries to the right click lookup menu. Very great. Thank you, pMan.
- (2016-11-24) Ketan D: Great extension. Please add Google Translate in context menu. Thanks.
- (2016-08-25) Adnan Dabaan: Thank you ;)
- (2016-05-10) Elly Lewis: I really, really would love to see the design of Thesaurus: Synonyms 4 Right Click (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/thesaurus-synonym-4-right/lpkpcliecpgjbkffooidajhakoidhidh?hl=en) integrated with this database. I hate that this has an extra step of the popout or additional tab whereas the other one has a terrible database, but great user interface.
- (2016-05-07) Leonard Smith: Most of the American English dictionaries don't work.
- (2016-05-06) masahide seki: This is awesome ! Really cool and easy to use !
- (2015-09-06) Şahin Yağ: Gerçekten başarılı, sözlükleri sizin seçmenize izin veriyor, ve sonucun yeni bir sayfada ya da pop-up olarak çıkmasını seçebiliyorsunuz.
- (2015-06-23) Thanadol Amarapornkul: มันไม่ได้แปลโดยตรงแต่ให้ลิ้งไปยังเว็บแปลภาษาชื่อดังอื่นๆแทน หากคุณต้องการหาคำแปลทันที ส่วนขยายนี้จะไม่มีค่าเพราะถ้าคุณ bookmark เว็บแปลเหล่านั้นไว้แล้วคงไม่มีประโยชน์จะใช้ extension นี้ แต่ถ้าคิดว่าดี เพราะไม่เคย bookmark เว็บแปลอื่นๆไว้ extension นี้ก็อาจจะเหมาะกับคุณ ส่วนสำหรับผมไม่ใช่!
- (2015-02-25) 복지혁: This is great, Now too easy to find some words without more typing. Thanks, pMan
- (2015-01-21) would be great to have some shortcut kyes or any other way to get defenition then go through nested menu
- (2014-12-30) moxie1956: Where is the search? I want to look up a word I was considering using in a post but wanted to check its definition to ensure its correct meaning, but there is no search box, just a bunch of references, none of which I can access! Or am I completely ignorant as to how this app works?
- (2014-11-16) The definition is loaded in a pop-up, within the same page! Great extension. (the number of choices need to be reduced at the user's end for optimal usage)
- (2014-04-10) Goran Balaško: do what it says
- (2014-04-09) Brighton Young: Would've rated 5 stars but it isn't like the google dictionary. it goes to another page. And 2 many choices. It's DECENT.
- (2014-02-24) Gary L: does what it says and then some!
- (2013-11-12) Vimal Viswan: machanee.. superb... ;) അടിപൊളി
- (2013-07-30) Guangzhe Yu: convenient and broad choice of dictionaries!
- (2012-12-21) Leo Ray: It's a great app, i love it, but recently i have some problem with it, as the app removes its self from my extensions list, and i have to install it again. Please if someone faced the same issue kindly comment so the dev will solve it.
- (2012-11-07) Mihai Badea: excellent! better than the popular google dictionary. at last I can context search phrases in dictionary!
- (2012-10-03) Paisarn Panusbordee: It will be excellent if it can arrange the order of Dictionary that will be selected to search.
- (2012-09-05) Brendan J Boehr: 5 stars because it does precisely what it claims to do and makes using a thesaurus far, far easier. I would love to see the results show up in a small popup but good work. *Not sure why you're using this icon however...
- (2012-08-28) Kinuyo Yoshi: First I didn't know how to use it but now I know that I should just highlight the word to look for and right click that! Wonderful app♪ Thanks pMan♥
- (2012-08-10) Abraham Anderson: Exactly what I was looking for. I'd also like the option to set two different searches (one for a thesaurus and the other for the dictionary) in the context menu, so I don't have to hover over "lookup definitions online", then pick which one. It'd also be awesome if you could have a little window pop up with the definition, and have it so when you click anywhere besides the window it goes away. That'd be most helpful.
- (2017-03-18, v:1.5.4) Spanishdict
Hello! Can you add spanishdict.com please?
- (2016-12-16, v:1.5.4) Irina Svetlowa: Extension buyout
Hi, I am interested in acquiring your extension "Lookup Definitions Online". Please contact me at: [email protected]
- (2016-05-25, v:1.5.1) James W.: Could you add English to Chinese
Hi sir, Could you add English to Chinese translte?
- (2016-05-06, v:1.5.1) masahide seki: 2 requests which make this extension the best !
Great extension, however I have two requests which make this extension the best (5 stars): 1) This should have auto-popup option like Google Translate extension has. Double-clicking triggers a pop-up window instead of short-cut key, that would be fantastic :D 2) Please support COBUILD American English Dictionary. http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/american-cobuild-learners
- (2015-12-19, v:1.5) Airton Azevedo: Linguee in other langages
Hi! Great aap but'd be great if the Linguee results could be in different langages other than the standard Spanish - English.
- (2015-11-28, v:1.5) Bryan Stark: Plz add Webster's 1828
Please add Webster's 1828 dictionary which I found here: http://webstersdictionary1828.com/ the search parameters are easy basically just append the word to the end of the address such as http://webstersdictionary1828.com/Dictionary/nature
- (2015-11-02, v:1.5) Zhanna Luchezarova: Extansion buyout
Hi, I am interested in acquiring your extension "Lookup Definitions Online" for a very good price. Please contact me at: [email protected]
- (2015-10-05, v:1.5) Suggestions of dictionary sources
Hi, pMan. Thank you for this fantastic extention! I'd like to suggest providing more choices for Linguee Dictionary. Current choice in this extension: Search vocabulary from Spanish to English http://www.linguee.es/ Suggestion: Add other popular options. For example, Search French to English translation from http://www.linguee.fr/ Reason of suggestion: I believe there are people like me who wishes to search definition of French, German, Spanish translated to English. But the current default choice in this app is only Spanish to English. I'd appreciate if you can add the options to the default setting. Many thanks!
- (2015-09-02, v:1.5) Chat Bee: How to import/export settings?
Hello~ I use chrome with "Lookup Definitions Online" extension on 6 PCs. I'd like to know how to sync/import/export "Lookup Definitions Online" settings between PCs. Thanks~
- (2015-08-17, v:1.4) Carrol Brock: where are the instructions on how to use this,
no instructions, only options for tabs and dictionaries. Nothing happens when I high light a word I want defined...So this is useless to me