Dictionary Bubble (Instant Dictionary): quickly lookup word definitions with audio pronunciation as you browse the web.
NOTE: Currently only English Dictionary and English Wikipedia are supported. With this extension, you can: 1) Double-click any word to view its instant definition in a small pop-up bubble. 2) Lookup the complete definition of words or phrases using the toolbar dictionary. 3) Perform lookup for detailed definitions in online dictionary. 4) One click access to Google search if the word/phrase is not found in dictionary. 5) More advanced than Google Dictionary. IMPORTANT: The bubble will not work in tabs that were open prior to installation; such tabs must be refreshed. Also, note that all extensions are disabled on Chrome Web Store pages (including this page). Having problems with this extension? Please fill out a problem report at http://goo.gl/Zc5e2 Join us: Twitter - twitter.com/GoodWordGuide Facebook - facebook.com/goodwordguide Google+ - https://plus.google.com/+Goodwordguide By: GoodWordGuide.com GWGDictionary.com
- (2020-06-28) Lana Kotlo: The most user friendly and intuitive plugin out of all dictionary plugins.
- (2020-03-26) Teodor Poparescu: Almost perfect. If it had a right click menu option to search for the selected word, it would be perfect.
- (2020-03-21) Brenn Romero: It's incredibly useful!! Thanks a lot for this amazing extension... I'd like to know if there is a similar extension for german or other languages. I know for examples rikaikun and rikaichan, instant dictionaries for japanese-english, but haven't found the same for more languages.
- (2020-03-13) Sanic: Pretty great dictionary. It also includes popular terms and slang or abbreviations that aren't really "words". Recent update broke it tho. Not sure what you did, but after the icon changed, words now written directly in the extension don't get descriptions... Double-clicking a word on a page still works tho. But every so often I need to write something there so please fix. Would be 5/5 if update didn't break it.
- (2020-03-10) Thor Mardis: I love this extension and use it a lot. however, it suddenly stopped working. When I select the icon and type in a word nothing happens... selecting text to find its definition is the only function that works. pls help
- (2020-03-01) sam oscar: excellent dictionary. in "how to use the word" distinction between the synonyms is very helpful.
- (2020-02-22) Thảo Nguyễn Thu: Word's pronunciation is wrong sometimes. For example, prounciation of "Litmit" is /ˈlɪmɪt/, but the dictionary shows me /'limət/
- (2020-01-24) Bhikhabhai Kadia: Very useful and instantly helpful. Thanks.
- (2020-01-16) Erick Ttito: Se nota que está muy completa pero está en inglés. Y así no vale pz
- (2019-12-18) Jonne Teixeira: Fantastic, I've been using for some period and that's helped me a lot! THank you so much!
- (2019-11-11) Legion: Dummy English aka US English is the only English available in this extension.
- (2019-10-21) Tamer b: Excellent
- (2019-10-01) Laurie Straub: This is a perfect replacement for the good old Google Dictionary extension which Google abandoned back in 2017 and broke, and has never fixed/updated it since. Thanks so much!! I use this daily.
- (2019-09-27) Mehmet Köse: Very useful and very fast. Faster than Google's Dictionary Extension, which borked and forced me to find a new app. I repeat: It's faster than Google's app!
- (2019-09-23) Tyler Prince: At first I was skeptical because it didn't seem to work but then i refreshed my tabs and it works really well. Saves you the trouble of opening a new tab or having to switch tabs to define something. And the definitions are from accredited dictionaries.
- (2019-09-19) Lee Schwartz: I LOVE this extension! One request: When I do a double click on a word, the bubble with the definition is always below the word. If the word is located near the bottom of the screen, the bubble with the definition will extend below the screen, so you have to scroll down to see it. Please make the location of the bubble be variable, with the bubble above the word when the word is near the bottom of the screen, and below the word otherwise.
- (2019-09-01) Reko Starr: Fantastic! Highly practical dictionary with pronunciation feature added. So easy to understand new words now! Guys, please make this available for firefox. This is amazing!
- (2019-08-22) jason: The voice rendering sounds terrible, the pronunciation isn't good either; Certain words will have vowels and/or syllables that don't have realistic or proper accentuation, relative volume or inflections. About 1/5 of the time there isn't even any pronunciation for a word. There are also many common words that do not have definitions, for example, this extension finds no definition for the word "your". There are also many common phrases which are missing.
- (2019-08-17) Ankur Bhardwaj: Extremely helpful
- (2019-05-21) Connie Davis: change the scary voice please, the first time I heard it I jumped, I was not expecting that, other than the scary .voice I like the app & find it easy to use.
- (2019-05-06) afii khan: loved it
- (2019-04-03) Jose Paul Sharon: Dear Developer, Thanks for the wonderful extension. Its really helpful to understand the meaning and to learn new words. I have one suggestion to improve the history. It would be more helpful, if you could add the meanings of the searched words too in the history. So that we can learn new words and its meanings from the download history option. At present only the searched words will display in the download history sheet and not its meanings. Hope you will consider my request. Thanks Jose Paul Sharon
- (2019-03-17) Sergey: The sound is not working.
- (2019-03-16) Martin Lichtblau: Bad definitions compared to e.g. google.
- (2019-03-03) Terry Miller: Used to work okay, I guess. With a recent update, however, the search engine has changed from Google to goodwordguide.com, which is horrible and completely unusable. I'm uninstalling this garbage because they keep directing my searches to this awful website with no way to change it back to Google.
- (2020-06-08, v:10.5) Jose D: Extension should work on pdfs
I study for my dental school exams from a pdf of notes with sometimes tough vocabulary. It would be great if the extension worked on pdfs that are opened using chrome. So far I've been using the extension to type out the word for a definition but the double click feature would save so much time. Either way thank you! Awesome extension so far!
- (2020-03-26, v:10.4) Kathryn Johnson: It's Not Working?
I see that others have posted about the same thing that I'm experiencing. When I type a word into the dictionary pop-up, it does not search it and therefore does not provide a definition. It's all looks right now and no function, but it's perfect for me, which is why I want to keep using it if it regains function.
- (2020-03-24, v:10.4) Burt Lo: Extension not providing definitions
When our users click on the extension icon, they can type in a word, but after clicking Define nothing happens. Double-clicking on a word on a website still produces a definition. But, now users cannot lookup words through the extension.
- (2020-03-21, v:10.4) Mason Foley: Misleading error message when no definition is available
Seems that if there is no definition available when invoking the plugin, it tells you there is no internet connection which is clearly not the case in my experience. Seems like the condition is jumping to the wrong code. Not a deal breaker but definitely was confusing at first. Now I just ignore it. Link to screenshot: https://www.screencast.com/t/E0tJpRIfEYRk
- (2020-03-16, v:10.4) Floris Van Der Staay: Still no text appears in the pop up white box of the extension
Hi, Even after removing and reinstalling the extension, and completely force quitting Chrome and reopening it, the plugin still does not work (anymore)..
- (2019-11-01, v:4.11) Edouard Lorenceau: Reviewing words in the word history
Could you add a way to review the words we save in the word history? Downloading the CSV of every word I've looked up is NOT a useful solution to this problem! The way we learn new words is by seeing them several times, so adding a way to review old words that we have previously looked up is invaluable. I think this should be implemented in the options page for the extension. There we'd find a list of all the words we've looked up and their definition (up to a limit, and then we could flip between pages of it.) Another thing that could be nice is bringing a random previously-looked-up word and definition inside the window that appears when we click on the extension's icon.
- (2019-09-01, v:4.11) Reko Starr: Need this on firefox!
Guys, please make this available for firefox. This is amazing!
- (2019-08-05, v:4.11) Ron Ho: Scrolling Bar
Can you please make the pop-up bubble scrollable? As every time I click "More" to get full meanings of a word, a new tab is opened and then they gradually eat up most RAM on my PC so I have to stop reading and close them manually. A scrolling bar added to the bubble would be saving lots of time for reading.
- (2019-03-27, v:4.11) Hog Slice: Other browsers
Do you plane a Firefox version?
- (2019-03-14, v:3.81) Extension does no work with chrome Version 73.0.3683.75
I've upgraded to the latest version of Chrome and the extension stopped working properly. The problem is that when I highlight a word the bubble that appears is empty.
- (2018-12-26, v:3.71) Stacey Anderson: Permissions
Is this open source? I'm very leary of extensions that ask to read all website data - I kind of understand why in this case- but only a few months ago, one of my popular extensions was compromised by a hacker hacking into extension owners Chrome Store Dev account and the hacker pushed a malicious version of the extension out which changed permissions to needing to read all data on websites, because it had a key-logger and credential stealing script in the code that phoned back to a central server.. Thankfully it only took 5 hours for things to get taken down, but it was still a scary experience none the less (I disabled that app when Chrome warned me of the heightened permission settings, thank gosh! but still frightened me)... So.. I like to read the code of anything asking for such high permissions..
- (2018-10-03, v:3.71) Nikhil M: Stopped working
Dictionary Bubble has stopped working and started to throw me "Internet connection timed out, please try again".
- (2018-10-02, v:3.71) Maria Spiliotopoulou: error "Internet connection timed out, please try again"
Why do I get an error "Internet connection timed out, please try again"? I installed it a few days ago but it hasn't worked at all, it either does nothing or gives me this error message. Please help!