Add shortcut keys to open a new google result tab for selected text. Shortcut keys can be set in above left menu in Extensions.
Keyboard shortcut keys: 1. Alt+1 -> Open google result of selected text in foreground tab. 2. Alt+Shift+1 -> Open google result of selected text in background tab. *Shortcut keys are editable at chrome://extensions/shortcuts **For Chromebook users** (maybe also Mac OS users) The Alt+1 key will click the first icon in the Shelf, and it will not work on Chrome browser. After the installation, please change the shortcut key from "Alt+1" to another one at chrome://extensions/shortcuts then avoid the built-in shortcut keys on your OS. In the setting page, the right box should be "In Chrome". (Input chrome://extensions/shortcuts in the address bar and press Enter to open a setting page.) *Updates 2022/9/27 v0.201 (=v0.2) 2022/9/20 v0.3 Add feature to search text selected in a single PDF (in chrome's default PDF viewer) 2022/7/10 v0.2 Add feature to search by the default search engine. 2021/6/7 v0.1.0.1 Initial
- (2022-09-15) Jin Zhang: life saver extension. I mean, back to the days before I started using Chrome, every Chinese browser has this simple mouse gesture. I've been using right click and search google for xxx for years. I'm fed up!
- (2022-06-02) mitikingu tintintei: 非常に便利です
- (2022-05-01) Caporal Dxl: It works really well, I can't believe Chrome doesn't have this by default!
- (2022-04-30) Bogdan Constantin: Very good! It is working, it is configurable.
- (2022-02-16) S: Awesome
- (2022-01-23) A Goraya: Perfect, alt + 1 after highlighting text opens a new tab that has Google searched the text.
- (2021-11-16) Ms R: It works! Follow the instructions here for Mac and it will work. This extension will save me a lot of aggravation, thanks!
- (2021-04-29) Oleksandr Melnyk: Super convenient, however setting up a shortcut doesn't work on mac
- (2021-02-05) bongocat: Doesn't work for all websites.
- (2020-12-03) Jake Meltzer: Great extension, works perfectly and is a great help in efficiency with not having to right click to access the selected text search function.
- (2022-09-25, v:0.3) Ron San: [object Object] <--- :(
Hello, I'm sorry if it's a dumb question/comment, but since last week, whenever I try using this add-on, it tries to search for "[object Object]" instead the word/phrase that I selected. I've been using the add-on for quite while and only now I'm having this issue. I already tried changing the shortcut (to no avail). I use Microsoft Edge. Thanks! :)
- (2022-09-18, v:0.2) Manishankar Deshpande: request to add feature
respected, I recently found out about Shortcut keys for selection search, what an amazing extension. It grew on me pretty fast. However, the only problem I face is that is doesn't work when used in PDF's. Please add that feature. That will make this extension far more productive than it is now. thank you.
- (2022-06-14, v:0.1.0.1) Joe Moulton: Customize the search engine that is used
Hello, I love how this can save me the annoyance of "ctrl-c, ctrl-tab, ctrl-v, enter". However, I rarely (never) use Google as my search engine. I wonder if it's possible to customize which search engine is used by this extension. Or if it's possible to force this extension to use my browser's default search engine, instead of Google. (I currently use Brave browser with Brave search, and previously used Duckduckgo search.) Thank you!
- (2020-11-27, v:0.1.0.1) K. K. Kalavadiya: Not working this extention
I add this in my chrome but I select text and press alt+1 it opens playstore in my chromebook.