Bring annotation support back to YouTube™!
On January 15 2019, YouTube decided to discontinue annotations. While the feature was frequently abused, it did have many legitimate use cases, such as games, corrections, and a form of commentary that could be toggled on and off. The removal left many older videos obsolete. Annotations Restored fixes this by searching for any archived annotation files and displaying them if found. Join the Discord!: https://discord.gg/v7xMm2r8wH LATEST CHANGES (1.2.1) - Added Discord link to popup - Support for Portuguese by Gersonzao - Support for Polish by Kamil K USAGE The extension will automatically look for a copy of a video's annotations online and display them if found. Annotation files (.xml) that you have saved locally can also be loaded into the current video using the popup. PERMISSIONS Access your data for www.youtube.com - Required to load the annotations into the video player Screenshot video sources: chuggaaconroy - Mario Menu https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Uwd5w1AwYU DaeOh - Annotation Tetris https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIIV6a2Pdh4 Feel free to email me with any translation fixes or create a pull request on GitHub :)
- (2023-07-27) TrailingSpace: Works great ! Super nostalgic, thanks for making this !!!
- (2023-06-17) Ship Trash: Now I can relive the joy of old Youtube!
- (2023-05-30) Billybob Joe: i love you
- (2023-05-07) bloodmage: fire extension thank you, i also appreciate the timestamps of them
- (2023-05-07) Interpretatio Graeca: Hello, good extension, can you add an option that hides the "restore annotations" button from the video settings?
- (2023-05-06) Iuser Pigfac: You 12 year olds are pissing me the ____ OFF so im disabling the comments.
- (2023-03-13) superwoah guy: this extension brought back my wife and kids due to how good it is
- (2023-02-23) Relaxed600: very useful for bringing back the old youtube
- (2023-02-18) anthony: pro extension
- (2023-01-28) qrde: its really nice thank god this exist
- (2023-01-25) Magic Dippy Egg: this works great with the return YouTube dislike I'm bringing back features that got removed and this is great for that thank you!
- (2022-12-25) Will Pringles: Thank you! I can watch old pewdiepie vids with the classic annotations now. Feel like a kid again.
- (2022-12-11) Sam Mic: Really good. Can you make a extension that brings back Creator Studio Classic next? It's ok if you can't.
- (2022-12-08) Mohammed Al-Ani: EDIT: It is now working (also thanks for the reply, afrmtbl), the UI on the options menu is nice.
- (2022-11-29) diana garcia: i love this thank you so much
- (2022-11-10) Stefanos Strauss: This product changed my life. I can finally rest my soul and return to the golden age of youtube. Thank you.
- (2022-09-24) Sunny Sky Official: It was great! Was. When i updated my Chromebook it says the extension was not compatible! Please fix this, i want to watch Fukkireta!
- (2022-09-20) Garfield (Bullseye): Ive slowly been converting websites back to the the early 2010's look, and this is just a no-brainer for that. Thank you so much for this
- (2022-09-18) Emiliano Juarez Hernandez: Es muy buena extension, solamente que a veces ya no salen las anotaciones, buena para ver videos viejos :D
- (2022-09-08) Manny204553: Its lovely to get back into nostalgia!
- (2022-09-02) Erik Olsen: Wow, this completely flew under the radar unlike Return YouTube Dislike. If I had known this extension existed all that time ago I would have installed it then.
- (2022-08-21) BEELETH: Occasionally doesn't work for videos that I know for a fact had annotations, but whenever it does work, it works miracles. I'm always happy when old content can be preserved, even when it's just little notes or buttons on videos. Thank you so much for making this.
- (2022-08-19) the wander over yonder fanboy 2010: I can now play my favorite disney channel interative games
- (2022-08-14) Cthulhu's Cousin: it just says "no video playing"
- (2022-08-03) armans: this annotation is very cool! but the x button doesnt work meaning, when i click it it sends me to the video that is linked.
- (2022-07-22) AlanDaniel500: As one here said, it has some bugs, like you can't close the annotations with the X and the only way to not see it is to off the annotations option, but overall it's really good to watch old videos with this, really nostalgic. :)
- (2022-07-21) smqfl: awesome! but is there a way to add annotations on my own video? or atleast make an XML for my video using some kinda editor?
- (2022-07-10) KJ7BZC: Wow this is awesome, just straight up works! One thing I noticed is the X doesn't seem to function on the annotations for me, but otherwise this works perfectly.
- (2022-03-21) HeyBlisters: This is great, old videos actually have functional buttons and you can see the hidden messages. Only problem is for some annotations, it's impossible to close them. That's all.
- (2022-03-20) Drake W: This works really good most of the time, thanks for making this
- (2022-03-18) BugdziaczeU: no words, works perfectly
- (2022-03-10) Santiago Ramirez: Is a very good plugin but i rate 4-stars because have a a problem... the "X" to close the annotation doesnt work
- (2022-02-16) Michael Washboard: This is a mostly okay extension with some problems, annotations ether don't display over the video player or has broken annotated links, this is certainly not a reliable software that's always gonna work but it does work as intended some of the time. When installing this extension don't expected to be perfect, it's a mix bag because it's a bandage for a bad corporal decision.
- (2022-01-02) caav56: Throws out "There are no annotations loaded" for any video now, after the update to December the 13th build of Chrome
- (2021-11-06) Ashton Davies - The World Of Wonders!: It's great! But I think you should update its Manifest version to v3.
- (2021-11-04) Drago San: thank you so much, it looks a bit silly but still works for videos from 2009. crazy
- (2021-10-28) Jack Cutter: it's not working on all videos could you upgrade it this is the video that it isn't working on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObWnYPUYORA
- (2021-10-27) Markoczek TV: i cant close the annotations
- (2021-10-16) Martin Máca: Doesn't work.
- (2021-10-13) Active Tutorial: Funktioniert sehr selten
- (2021-10-03) Crosher: Esta bueno, me alegra que funcione
- (2021-08-10) NoName Studios: its cool but i cant close them for some reason
- (2021-08-03) Ricardo Reyes Rovere: WOOOOW!! That really worked! Thanks for making this!!
- (2021-05-27) ASnowPoff: Would rate 5 stars but the one problem I have is you can't click the x on annotations to get rid of them, and there's no way to disable annotations on certain videos. The rest is great.
- (2021-05-18) mr2meows gobuydoometernalandtitanfall2: not work
- (2021-05-13) Devon Abbey: This is a must-have extension for those who want to see the annotations again. The only problem with this extension is that the close buttons on each annotation doesn't seem to work. If you can find a fix for that, that would be nice. Still, this extension deserves a 5 star rating.
- (2021-04-03) Drake Wilson: Pretty good! I get annotations on most videos that used to have them, and they display great Only gripe I have is that I cant close the annotations once they have popped up. I try edging up to the X but I can never click it. If this issue gets fixed, ill be sure to edit my review accordingly.
- (2021-03-18) Gabriel Pereyra: yo recuerdo unos videos de super Mario 64 en los que podías elegir la estrella que querías ver. también recuerdo haber visto unos videos que al final usaban las anotaciones para recomendar otros videos (y hasta holasoygerman los utilizo) también recuerdo que en un día simplemente dejaron de estar ahí, muchísimas gracias a la persona que hiso esta extensión PD: ¿se imaginan que algún día se puedan hacer anotaciones de nuevo (talvez con una extensión o desde YouTube normal pero ¿se imaginan?)
- (2021-03-02) LongTailCat3 MLP: I Love This! I only with that there was an Option to display Annotations in the Old Style. Like This: https://www.reddit.com/r/nostalgia/comments/bpj5hv/old_annotations_on_youtube_videos/
- (2021-02-21) Muroj: it's so cool to just be able to see annotations on older videos again!! only thing is that when annotations are placed at the very top of the screen, you can't actually close them for whatever reason. if a toggle could be added somewhere in or near the player that would be neat :>
- (2022-07-04, v:1.1) Tristan Wemm: Only works on some videos
On this playlist, it only works on the first video in the list, all the others the annotations aren't working: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzQuGq21Dlc&list=PLjRAU3j6cNaixtcLDixVlaz7Vcthm0rmh&index=1
- (2022-02-17, v:0.0.11) AmberDambey Gaming: New submissions
Is it possible to edit or submit your own like Community Contributions or just the creator of the video or something.
- (2022-01-02, v:0.0.11) Oguz Kaan ÖCAL: old corner
there must be a key for the corners to be rectangular or not.
- (2021-08-10, v:0.0.10) Ács Zalán: It's broken
The annotations appear no problem, but I just can't close them.
- (2021-04-12, v:0.0.10) Turrys 2 (Plus): Its not working
Videos that had annotations now say that has no annotation
- (2021-04-10, v:0.0.10) Sulee Hwang: Annotations Restored is having a conflict
Hello, Annotations Restored is having a conflict. Please fix it.
- (2021-04-01, v:0.0.10) Casey Luskey: Annotations linger for videos in playlists
When watching videos consecutively in a playlist, sometimes the annotation from the previous video will appear in the video after it. OS is Windows 10 Home 64 Bit and this was tested on both Chrome and Edge
- (2020-10-28, v:0.0.10) The man without a plan: Youtube
The addon doesn't work anymore.
- (2020-10-27, v:0.0.10) WN nitro (WNnitro): cant close annotations
the subject says it all will you fix it? :(
- (2020-05-24, v:0.0.9) Evan Raby: Annotations cannot be closed or disabled
The x button on annotations are not functional, and there is no annotations off function.