Watch YouTube™ videos frame by frame
*** Usage *** Use the buttons added to your controls to navigate through your video. *** Known Issues *** - Frame by Frame for YouTube™ previously included keyboard controlled features like adjusting playback speed, frame rate and frame skip. We recently removed these features to avoid issues we had seen with interference when searching and commenting. Please let us know if you miss these features and we will work out a better implementation! To use those features and more right now, check out http://www.watchframebyframe.com/. - Sometimes the buttons will not load straight away. Reload your page and they will appear. - Sometimes YouTube makes a change that stops this extension working. Let us know by raising an issue at https://github.com/CalumJEadie/frame-by-frame or even better, if you can, submit a pull request bringing it up to date. *** Changes *** See https://github.com/CalumJEadie/frame-by-frame/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md. *** About Frame by Frame for YouTube™ *** Created by Calum Eadie (http://calumjeadie.com), regularWand (https://github.com/regularWand) and Tom D. Chambers (http://tomchambers.me). This is an open source project. Feedback and contributions are very welcome! Contribute at https://github.com/CalumJEadie/frame-by-frame.
- (2020-01-30) YeongChan Lee: It works really great, as well as the shortcut keys. (<, > keys without pressing Shift)
- (2019-09-22) Hadi Jam: love it! would you please make it work with 60fps videos?
- (2019-08-22) Joshua Klinkenberger: Used to love this, but perhaps a bit outdated now. Doesn't seem to work and hasn't been updated in about a year.
- (2019-04-23) Jonathan Finnecy: Bring back the keyboard commands!!!
- (2019-02-23) amei!
- (2018-11-02) Simon Cheng: Works, but for some reason it prevents the comments, user avatars, and recommended video thumbnails from loading.
- (2018-10-22) Freddy Díaz: Loved it, until hotkeys got removed. There should be a toggle button and that would a fix for the comment issues for users like me who would be fine with it.
- (2018-09-22) Federico Germán Moral Iadarola: Not working
- (2018-09-22) Matthew Rosenbaum: Still a great app! But I'm really missing the keyboard shortcuts. I'm an animator and being able to flip through referance videos w/ more control was invaluable! Thanks :D
- (2018-09-16) Patrick: Everything quit working. I'm so sad.
- (2018-09-11) Blank Blank: Please restore the hotkeys... They were so convenient... Whoever didn't think so didn't need this app! This app did what it did perfectly...
- (2018-09-10) Diivia Nomenescio: I love this app! I mean, love! Or, I mean loved. I'll give money! It worked for ages until it stopped working. I uninstalled it, reinstalled it, did that a couple times, read reviews, looked at support page but no joy. :( Maybe it's some weird setting on Windows 10 or something I'm not aware of? Thanks, though. :D
- (2018-08-31) Maxime Péloquin: Good extension, but like others have said the hotkeys need to have an option to disable them. Took me so long to figure out why videos were sometimes playing at 0.25 speed, but it was because I typed "p" in the comment or search box and this extension makes the video play slowly when you type "p". Beside that, I love it, but I have to uninstall for now.
- (2018-08-22) SonicStar13: Three sentences, Cannot change the keys. Cannot edit how much it goes by. And last, It disappears sometimes.
- (2018-07-27) Fabio Ming Hallais: easy to use
- (2018-06-01) MEEESTER Soup Can: The P Hotkey can get very Irritating
- (2018-05-25) Jeremy Eden: CHANGE THE P HOTKEY SO THE VIDEOS I SEARCH FOR AREN'T SLOWED DOWN
- (2018-04-06) Biotechknowled: This app has great potential, but there is one massive oversight. I can't change the hotkeys that come with it. Some genius decided that it was a good idea to program playback speed changes to alphabet keys so when you type in the comment section it interferes with the playback of the video and it may take a long time to understand what happened and how to fix it at first. So, for usability and adaptability this app really sucks. It has great potential though! I'm most likely to disable it and just enable it when I need to use it since it screws up my viewing of videos more than it actually is needed.
- (2018-02-27) ImprovedTube for YouTube: Unique feature! Recommended. ██╗. . . . . . . ██████╗. ██╗. . . ██╗. ███████╗ ██║. . . . . . ██╔═══██╗██║. . . ██║. ██╔════╝ ██║. . . . . . ██║. . . . ██║ ██║. . . ██║ █████╗ ██║. . . . . . ██║. . . . ██║ ╚██╗. ██╔╝██╔══╝ ███████╗╚██████╔╝. ╚████╔╝. ███████╗ ╚══════╝.╚═════╝. . . . ╚═══╝. . . ╚══════╝
- (2018-01-25) Just1Mohr: I can't get the hotkeys to work reliably
- (2017-12-02) Roxanne McCloud: Does what it says on the tin: Fatal error for me though, It has a bad habit of starting all videos paused.
- (2017-11-08) Sincero Jones: Really good! Thanks!
- (2017-10-28) jim: great except that hotkeys get sticky. videos keep reloading at .25 speed on their own. now broken entirely because of antivirus. removed and re-installed but all i get is a grey icon and it will not open options menu.
- (2017-10-09) tin pin: Cool and useful extension with a few inexcusable oversights and fatal flaws. 1) Hotkeys from hell The hotkeys are obnoxious and can't be disabled, changed, or only active when _not_ typing a comment! While typing a comment, the extension thinks you want to control it and makes the video act bizarrely when it's non-modifiable and idiotic single key/single letter hotkeys are pressed. 2) FFS the 25/30 fps switch does NOT hold it's setting. If you watch 25 FPS video all the time (like PAL content) you're fine, but if you DON'T (Like if you don't live in Europe. A crazy idea, I know!) the frame time jump is incorrect and has to be set every single time you change videos. 3) God knows why it doesn't always load its icons that allow you to actually interact with the extension. If you've found something you want to frame-by-frame and the buttons aren't there you have to 'refresh' the page *and reset your video progress!* On most videos this isn't a big deal, but if the video you're watching is really long (as in _hours_) this is a really obnoxious oversight. 4) Last but *CERTAINLY* not least, this extension IS NOT BEING UPDATED ANYMORE! So none of these agonizing problems will ever be fixed. This is definitely an extension I will keep disabled unless I specifically have a need for it. I will turn it on manually when I want it because it's seriously annoying to leave enabled.
- (2017-10-05) ГадюкаСнайпер: Its annoying when I press P when typing a comment. Other than that it's very helpful, and is a good working extension.
- (2018-06-01, v:1.1.0) MEEESTER Soup Can: The P Hotkey
Everyone is having an issue with the P Hotkey as it can be activated just about anywhere, even when typing a comment. As mentioned before, YouTube already has a built in speed slowing tool.
- (2018-05-25, v:1.1.0) Jeremy Eden: P HOTKEY
REMOVE IT. EASY FIX. WE ALREADY HAVE A SHORTCUT FOR CHANGING SPEED
- (2018-04-03, v:1.1.0) MEEESTER Soup Can: Comments with the letter P
You have the video play at half speed when you press P, which is fine. The only problem with this is when you're in the middle of typing a comment of the video you're watching. For the most part, said video might be a song and you wanted to hear it as intended. What could work is if the cursor is hovering over the video that these functions would be toggled. Or just add buttons on the timeline tape.
- (2018-04-01, v:1.1.0) sealed interface: Hotkeys are very annoying
Hotkey module intercepts key presses even when the comment text box is selected. What's worse is that the keys are not changeable and are single-key letter presses (no modifier keys). This results in accidentally slowing the video down to 1/4 time every time I type the letter P in a comment. There is no way to toggle, modify, or disable any part of the hotkeys. It's ridiculous that a side feature of the extension cannot be disabled when it is such a problem, despite the main feature working so well.
- (2018-03-13, v:1.1.0) Yandong Qiu: need one for vimeo!
need one for vimeo!
- (2017-08-19, v:1.1.0) Mark Mac Laren: How to indicate 1 frame exactly and then grab it ?
This is fantastic! I'm a still photographer and just starting to play with video. It's amazing how it breaks the moment down at 25 fps. If i wanted to grab a frame is there way to make the seconds marker more precise. i.e let's say i see a good image at 33 seconds, but how to indicate which frame exactly, since there are about 25 frames at 33 seconds. Thanks! Mark
- (2017-05-31, v:1.1.0) Luca Benazzi: Easier way to move backward/forward
Jus to be more precise on this, I am not using an English keyboard and have to press the alt key in order to get square brackets. That's why I would rather use the default arrow keys, or some custom defined keys, with an option to also decide if the video should stop each time, or not. Thanks
- (2017-05-31, v:1.1.0) Luca Benazzi: Easier way to move backward/forward
As someone else suggested, I would also like an easier way to go backwards and forwards. I am using it at 32 frames so I can go back when listening to language videos by just a little bit (5 sec is the default on youtube, too much), so I would like to be able to just override the default behaviour of youtube and customize by how much it should go backward/forward when hitting the left and right arrow keys. I find it also a bit frustrating to press spacebar each time, I would like to go backwards without the video stopping each time. Thank you for your effort.
- (2017-03-08, v:1.1.0) Pedro Amato: Auto Skip
Hey Calum. Thank you for the extention. I absolutely love it and I use it everysingle day. A feature that would be IMMENSELY helpful would be a "autoskip" I use framebyframe to draw, and having a setting that lets me auto skip the frame every "X" seconds would be a so appreciated. I know a lot of friends who also draw that would really appreciate this feature.
- (2016-11-26, v:1.1.0) Patricia Lefevre: doesn't show up
I was using extension - everything fine. But once I added Adobe CC extension no longer works. Doesn't show up on videos. Maybe the two things are not connected but FbF no longer working even though it shows up in the extension panel. Help, please.