Allows configurable filtering/removal of deviations by selected users on DeviantArt
DEVIANTART FILTER FOR GOOGLE CHROME > Allows configurable filtering/removal of deviations by user, tag, and/or category on DeviantArt OVERVIEW Have you ever want to block/filter deviations (a.k.a. submissions) while browsing DeviantArt? Well now you can! Just install DeviantArt Filter from the Chrome Web Store and start filtering by user, tag, and/or category. PERMISSIONS These are the required browser permissions for DeviantArt Filter. If you would like to know more about permissions in general, Mozilla has a support article about permissions, as well as a guide for assessing the safety of an extension. Please submit a new issue if you are still concerned about the use of any of the following permissions so the information provided below can be updated to cover common concerns and answer common questions. ACCESS YOUR DATA FOR SITES IN THE DEVIANTART.COM DOMAIN This permission is used to apply filters to DeviantArt pages and to add the quick-hide icon in the upper-left corner of deviation thumbnails. ACCESS BROWSING HISTORY The History permission is used to remove the DeviantArt Filter Management Panel/Screen from your browser's history. DISPLAY NOTIFICATIONS TO YOU The Notifications permission is used to display a notification message when upgrading from version 4.x to version 5.x. ACCESS BROWSER TABS The Tabs permission is used to apply filter changes from the Management Panel/Screen to all open DeviantArt tabs, to enable/disable the DeviantArt Filter icon, and to switch to the Management Panel/Screen (if it is already open) when clicking the DeviantArt Filter icon. USAGE OPENING THE MANAGEMENT PANEL/SCREEN 1. While on DeviantArt, click the red logo that appears on the right side of the address bar. 2. The configuration screen will open automatically when you click the icon. CREATING AND REMOVING FILTERS YOU CAN FILTER DEVIATIONS BY ARTIST, CATEGORY, AND/OR TAG THROUGH THE MANAGEMENT PANEL/SCREEN. 1. After opening the Management Panel/Screen, navigate to any of the Manage Users/Tags/Categories tabs. 2. To create a new filter, use the form at the top of the tab. - For users, enter their username. - For tags, enter a single tag (no spaces), then choose if the tag should use wildcard matching. - For categories, select the parent category, then (optionally) select sub-categories. 3. Use the table that is displayed below the form to view all of your existing filters. - You can sort the table by clicking the heading of any column. - You can page through your filters using the pagination controls in the lower-left corner. - You can choose how many filters are displayed per page using the controls in the lower-right corner. 4. To remove a filter, click the Remove Filter button next to the filter you want to remove. EXPORTING/IMPORTING FILTERS DeviantArt Filter allows you to export and import filters from a JSON file. This is mostly for keeping your filters in sync between browsers/computers, but is handy for backup purposes as well. 1. After opening the Management Panel/Screen, navigate to the Import/Export Filters tab. 2. To export your current filters to a JSON file, click the Export Filter Data button, then open/save the file when prompted (it will use your browser's native download functionality). 3. To import filters from a JSON file, either drag and drop the file onto the designated box, or click the box to open a File Browser dialog and select your JSON file. - After the import has finished, a table showing the results of the import will be displayed. This includes how many filters were imported successfully, as well as how many filters failed to import (either because they were invalid or were duplicate). QUICK HIDING USERS WHILE BROWSING 1. While browsing on DeviantArt, when you see a deviation from a user you wish to filter, hover over the thumbnail image. 2. An x icon will appear in the top-left corner of the thumbnail. 3. Click on the x to filter that user.
- (2020-01-03) Martin VanBuren: I really want to like DeviantArt and this filter. There is SO MUCH - so, so much! - creepy, fetish art that it's near impossible to find even just normal bad art let alone the good stuff. If it even worked anymore, this extension feels like a finger in the dam that's leaking from a hundred other places.
- (2019-12-06) Elizabeth Randolph: Absolutely crucial for both casual and regular users of Deviantart. Extremely user friendly. The only thing I think would improve this extension would be a feature that gives the user the ability to hide the placeholder images. I do a lot of filtering and I often run into a problem where filtered deviations clutter up my search results. If I'm only going to see like, say 6 unfiltered deviations on a single page, I'd like to at least be able to cut all the negative space that gets used up.
- (2019-10-09) Comrade Winston: Doesn't work on eclipse.
- (2019-07-22) Lohengrin Percival: No longer works.
- (2019-06-18) SHAME: For some reason as of late it refuses to work. All the stuff I filtered out is showing up again despite the extension being enabled and filters being present. Additionally, when clicking on the extension, the options menu will sometime not open, instead being greeted by the generic menu used for all extensions. My review is a single star until this issue is addressed and promptly solved.
- (2019-06-05) Dominik Malinowski: Funktioniert Nicht [English] Dosent Work
- (2019-05-27) Sancosity: Doesn't work. I don't know if something has changed on DA, but it's not blocking the tags at all. I'm not giving 1 star, because I WANT this extension to work, and I have hope that they'll fix it eventually.
- (2018-12-17) cool epic: good typing practice many words to learn and always seems to be more to add to the filter makes the rest of the site tolerable
- (2018-12-08) Kerynean: Makes deviantart USEABLE again - I can actually browse popular categories again and filter out fetish art which unfortunately plagues the website in it's current state. Hopefully DA will step up eventually and create some mandatory tagging system that helps filter this stuff ... till then, I have this extension.
- (2018-10-26) Jon Klein: It's amazing what an improvement 4 or 5 filters makes! (Although I'm up to several dozen.)
- (2018-10-06) Fleur-dRae: Much needed. Works excellently. Thank you 1000 times over!
- (2018-08-29) B. Mueller: Thank you, thank you, thank you. Now I can safely browse dA without getting bombarded with gross fetish art. It works great!
- (2018-05-21) Nicole Barber: because of course deviantart has a tagging system but no way to filter using it. i've wanted one of these for years and now i've found it. not only can you filter by tag, but you can also filter specific users and also categories. occasionally it takes a second to catch up with my scrolling speed but otherwise works great. maybe i can actually visit this site in public now.
- (2018-04-13) Beka Vujic: freaking amazing
- (2017-12-13) Kailey Fox: Very useful. I'm sick of all the fetish art. Now I can finally search in peace.
- (2017-09-08) Rowan Waltho: This extension is a lifesaver, my browsing experience on DeviantArt has become much more clean, pleasant, and safe since I've discovered & installed this extension. Now I no longer have to worry about seeing cancerous fart, inflation, & feet fetish crapshit, and if I do see it, I can just hide it with a single click thanks to this extension. 10/10 from me.
- (2019-10-12, v:5.1.2) Stacey Choate: Can't Open Management Panel
Just downloaded it today, and when I click on the red logo, the "options" part is greyed out and I can't click it.
- (2019-08-13, v:5.1.2) Ivory: No longer working
I've used this filter for a good while now and it used to work wonders... but ever since I started using the new DA layout (Eclipse) it has been acting a little weird. Content I've tagged and filtered out still shows up when I'm browsing. I'm using the new feature DA added (muted tags) but I would rather see this extension fixed because it is much more practical and doesn't have a silly cap like the site does.
- (2019-06-18, v:5.1.1) SHAME: Extension No Longer Functions
The extension no longer functions. Options menu no longer appears and filters do nothing. Please resolve ASAP because I refuse to browse that site until this is solved.
- (2019-05-27, v:5.1.1) Sancosity: Doesn't work at all
I've added the tags I want filtered, yet it doesn't remove them at all, they're all still there! I've done it correctly, I haven't put hashtags.
- (2018-10-12, v:5.0.3) Brett Garner: Tags and Categories Not Working
This extension is fantastic, thank you! However, I'm only able to filter by user. I can add tags, but pieces with that tag are not filtered (I'm not using the hashtag, also tried with and without wildcard). For categories, I can't even add them - the drop-down menu is empty and does not allow for free-text entry. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
- (2018-09-29, v:5.0.3) Christopher Brownlee: Not appearing in the address bar
I've read the instructions and did literally everything I could, but I just can't get the icon to appear in my browser.