Turn text into lifelike speech. Readme can read aloud the content of any web pages, pdfs & ebooks with natural sounding voices.
Readme is a text-to-speech extension that uses advanced deep learning techniques to synthesize natural human speech in more than 40 languages. In addition to Standard TTS voices, Readme offers Neural Text-to-Speech (NTTS) voices that deliver advanced improvements in speech quality through a new machine learning approach. With tons of text-to-speech voices, including those provided natively by the browser, as well as by text-to-speech cloud service providers such as Google WaveNet, you will be able to improve your productivity! For instance, you can listen to a document while doing something else, if you find it easier to retain the information you've heard, or if you want to sense-check something you've written. Readme can read aloud the content of any web pages, pdfs & ebooks with natural sounding voices. It can be enormously helpful for anyone who's visually impaired or has a condition like dyslexia that makes reading on screens tricky. It can also help overcome language barriers for people who read a language but don't speak it, or are in the process of learning. To use Readme, simply navigate to the web page you want to read, then click the Readme icon on the Chrome menu. In the sidebar that opens, click the play button, after which automatic playback of the text contained on the page will begin. You may select the text you want to read before activating the extension. Right-clicking on the selected text will provide you with yet another context-menu option to activate read aloud. The design of Readme comes with a user-friendly interface and a wide range of settings that are clean and easy to use. To change the voice, reading speed, pitch, or enable text highlighting, go to the Options page. The default settings work well for quick tasks but spend a little time exploring the settings menu and you'll find options to change the language, hotkey, and set custom interface colors. We are constantly optimizing and improving our text to speech extension, so if you see bugs or have suggestions to make the Readme better, please don't hesitate to provide feedback.
- (2021-08-03) valeria chaparro: bastante agradable que reconoce el formato PDF y lee de manera fluida, por supuesto no puede superar el ritmo de una persona real, pero te saca de apuro ya que puedes ajustar la velocidad. desde Mac funcionó bastante bien
- (2021-08-02) Duy Nguyễn Đức: dừng ở chấm và phẩy quá lâu lúc bắt đầu đọc củng lâu hơn so với các tiên ích khác nên thêm tùy chọn cho chấm phấy và bắt đầy đọc cám ơn
- (2021-08-02) Goose: dope
- (2021-08-01) RIchard Ibarra: Love it. it really makes reading my macroeconomics book incredibly less boring!!!
- (2021-07-30) Klaus Forster: This app does what it prommisses (which is a rare feature of apps from the crome web store): After selecting the text a context menu "Read text" is available on a right mouse click, which starts to read the selected text. Anna is a nice Indonesian voice! The only thing I dont understand is: Why do I have to fill in a capture to change the language in settings?
- (2021-07-30) Maria Duran: It has been great as an auditory learner, thanks!
- (2021-07-30) Chuck Clarke: October 2020,: So far this app has worked a charm, for something that should be a standard Chrome feature IMO. This is intuitive, and easily adjustable, even allowing for Hotkeys etc. Haven't been using it a long time but so far so good! Edit: Jul 2021 - Extension was working well, but as another user has commented, lately it has been stopping after only a few words (between 30 and 40). I will need to find an alternative until it is fixed.
- (2021-07-29) Meme Master: it is a amazing i wanted to read the galaxy is endless (i thought we we're too) but it was way to long for me to read so i just used this app and it helped a lot that is it
- (2021-07-24) Tanmay Jain: Does what it says, Seamlessly. Also, the best one that is out there, and you will not need to try any other TTS in your lifetime, for Chrome/Web.
- (2021-07-23) Greg Miller: Doesn't work. And if it does, it's so rinky dink and difficult as to make it useless for most internet users.
- (2021-07-23) Kopi Susu: Yayyyyyyyyyyyy......... less sleeping more listening HAHAHAHA The best extension (ɔ◔‿◔)ɔ ♥
- (2021-07-21) Nick Fedoroff: Well done! Many voice variants are available...
- (2021-07-20) Mike Martin: just brilliant I cant believe its free
- (2021-07-18) Rahul Jolly: Very Good & Easy 2 Use.
- (2021-07-17) R3 Vlog: Makasih..aplikasi gratis yang sangat bagus
- (2021-07-15) Dounia el gourbi: très bien et efficace dans l'ensemble. Je mets 4 étoiles car il y a quand même des erreurs de prononciation en français (mots dits en anglais ou simplement mal prononcés). Une option pour corriger les erreur pourrait améliorer le speech.
- (2021-07-15) Tape Ketan: nice....good...
- (2021-07-14) Chris Cisneros: Super useful
- (2021-07-14) Infomashup Help Information Evolve.: Just newly installed, but the features are simple, it worked right away, and I am listening to some of the reading I was dreading doing. So, thumbs up to the developers of Readme - Text to Speech Reader.
- (2021-07-14) Ростислав Запорожець: Не працює, неможливо "пройти" перевірку на бота
- (2021-07-13) Jordan Virden: Love this, makes studying so much better!
- (2021-07-12) Mohanan C: 3000 word cap for online reading. An irritating captcha pops up every 5 minutes demanding you prove that you are not a robot. Long pauses between sentences.
- (2021-07-11) bill power: love it
- (2021-07-10) Mathieu Lachance: I'm currently doing an online course. This is making the course WAAAAAAAAAY easier. I don't like to read long boring texts. Am absolutely fine listening to it though.
- (2021-07-10) Fady M. Kamel: I LOVE IT.
- (2021-07-09) Rasu Rajavel: Great I love it!
- (2021-07-05) Rasu Rajavel: its great and works like fine wine>
- (2021-07-02) Leann Martinez: Never works
- (2021-07-02) Виктор Мазур: Прекрасно на столько, насколько я надеялся
- (2021-07-02) Jeferson Castro: funciona super bien
- (2021-06-30) Carolina Arnizaut: muito bom , ajuda muito
- (2021-06-24) Ellie Evans: A great help in reading my textbooks! Really helps me focus.
- (2021-06-24) Jesse Castillo: Justamente lo que necesitaba para leer documentos largos y la velocidad es regulable!!!!
- (2021-06-21) YehudiNimol: Good and has saved me a lot of time, but sadly doesn't narrate text in Hebrew. It would be really appreciated if you'll add Hebrew TTS to the extention in the future.
- (2021-06-20) B. Butler: Readme is super helpful with research and I especially like the ability to speed up the voice and change the readers colors. There is a fairly big downside though, it says "no text to read" on almost every site I go to, but its not that big of a deal for me personally.
- (2021-06-16) Cindy: Suddenly stopped working.
- (2021-06-16) djo bi boa epiphane: Félicitation!
- (2021-06-14) s e n p a i: :/
- (2021-06-12) Misael García: Útil
- (2021-06-11) akang tarya: tengkyu bagus sekali tools nya
- (2021-06-11) Wahriman Andrade de Araújo: Passei, literalmente, 9 horas esperando essa extensão carregar um PDF de 400 páginas para no final ficar totalmente bugado e impossível de entender o que era lido. Até mesmo a prévia do que eera lido estava bugado.
- (2021-06-09) Arkadiy Bangiev: This is by far the best TTS extension i have ever used! Well done. Thank you !
- (2021-06-09) Miguelina Ysabel Dipre: ES MUY BUENA .
- (2021-06-09) 송시영: 다좋아요 조금 아쉬운건 내용이 길거나 텍스트 중에 () 가로가 있을때 위주로 읽어주다가 중단되는 현상이 있습니다.
- (2021-06-09) Lingfeng Li: it often stops randomly after a few sentences, without any clue why. Can someone help with that?
- (2021-06-09) cristofer cañete: es el mejor lector.
- (2021-06-08) gary baker: Great App! Keeps me from having to stop what in to concentrate on the words... its just a great tool whenever you have to read a lot of text book material. I would recommended it to anyone. Just an awesome job....
- (2021-06-08) Jawash Asalan: Mega gut. Man kann (und muss) sich nicht nur die Sprache aussuchen, sondern auch den/die Sprecher/in und zusätzlich an diversen Einstellungen rumfeilen (allem voran die Geschwindigkeit!). So ist das sehr angenehm und hilft wirklich massenhaft bei sich hin ziehenden Recherchen. Es ist eben doch meist schöner wenn eine sympathische Stimme einem langwierige und komplexe Sachverhalte in einem optimalen Tempo vorliest als wie wenn man das selbst machen muss. Es gibt ein Dark Theme (wobei man auch Hintergrund- Text- und Markierungsfarben explizit auswählen kann und man muss die Erweiterung nicht extra öffnen um dort den Text herein zu kopieren. Einfach Text markieren, direkt rechtsklick und dort Readme auswählen. Nur die Hotkeys habe ich noch nicht zum laufen bringen können aber Rechtsklick und Readme auswählen ist ja kein Aufwand :) Bisher auch noch keine Werbung gesehen! Lediglich die freundliche Bitte die Erweiterung zu bewerten. Also ich bin zufrieden und werde das hier fortan sehr oft benutzen.
- (2021-06-08) ShinHyung Ryu: 읽어주는 화자선택이나 속도설정도 좋고.. 여러종류를 급하게 테스트 해봤는데 이게 가장 쓸모가 있었습니다.
- (2021-06-06) iDoNotHateMyLife: it doesn't work at all
- (2021-07-25, v:1.0.5) Daniel Ayinde: Commercial ventures
Do you have any interest in any commercial ventures with the technology you've built.
- (2021-07-05, v:1.0.5) Tim Brown: Stops after only a few words
I use this extension all the time and I find it very helpful. However lately it has been stopping after only a few words (between 30 and 40) and it is becoming very annoying. Is this a known issue and is there a fix? Please feel free to contact me if you need more details.
- (2021-06-15, v:1.0.5) Christie B: Reading stops mid-way through
Hello, Really like this extension however it will start reading my selected text then stop shortly into it. Is this a bug or is it something where I'd need to purchase a "full" version to have it read everything i select. (happens in even small selections)
- (2021-06-11, v:1.0.5) Francesco Demeco: Play function stucked
When I copy the text I want to read, I do a right-click and I click the extension icon, then I click to the extension to the top right, it appears a pop-up with the text pasted, when I press play it doesn't start, seems stucked and there is a spinning circle on the play button. How can I solve this problem? Are there some processes to do? Do we have to wait for the next update? Thank you
- (2021-06-04, v:1.0.5) mark arthur: How to use
Same issue as someone else: I want to use your app. but can't get it started. I have all loaded. but e.g. where is the chrome pop up menu. To use Readme, simply navigate to the web page you want to read, then click the Readme icon on the Chrome menu. In the sidebar that opens, click the play button, after which automatic playback of the text contained on the page will begin. You assume this is easy and obvious. Maybe a demo video? Please explain. Thanks.
- (2021-06-01, v:1.0.5) Diana Verhulst: Now not seeing text from Kindle Books
Well, this was a perfect app last week, but Kindle apparently updated their Kindle App, which I use in Chrome on my Chromebook, but today, it doesn't work when I right click and when I highlight the text and click on the extension, it tells me no text is selected. Frustrating. Is there going to be a solution? Thanks. Diana
- (2021-06-01, v:1.0.5) rahul rayal: Amazon polly service is not avaialble
Hi, you mentioned that from version 1.4.6 amazon polly service is available but I was disappointed to see the current version is 1.0.5 why is like this, could you please add an option to select user's own amazon polly service by asking them to enter their credentials. I am eagerly waiting for it. Thanks in advance
- (2021-06-01, v:1.0.5) Даниил Неведров: Смена голоса
В расширение русские голоса есть но при тесте тишина, как добавить голоса в расширение ?
- (2021-05-31, v:1.0.5) Pierre Naniche: Coupure de la lecture
Bonjour, quand je lance la lecture d'un texte sur Internet, cette lecture se coupe avant la fin de la sélection à lire. Comment résoudre ce problème ? Merci de votre réponse
- (2021-05-27, v:1.0.5) B M: Using it with google docs
Trying to figure out how to activate the app while Google Docs are open
- (2021-05-20, v:1.0.5) Andrii Kornovan: The app doesn't work
All the menus are working, but there is no sound at all. Not even when testing voices in the settings. (The language is English US, OS is Windows10)
- (2021-05-13, v:1.0.5) Jenny Gerschultz: Read Me Icon not present
I downloaded the extension, but no matter what site I visit within Chrome, I cannot locate access to utilize ReadMe. Please assist with locating the icon on my Mac.
- (2021-05-03, v:1.0.5) Jörg Helfrich: Scrolling
This is both a suggestion and a problem report. So far, when the reader is actively reading it will follow along the text. Which is good. Then, when it swaps to the second page (or more) it seems to jump up and scroll down again and again. Which is mildly annoying. I would prefer if it did not have multiple pages and simply scrolled down one long page, like you can when reading a website.. simple keep scrolling down. The second and perhaps more important issue: Whenever you press pause, the reader jumps towards the beginning of the whole text you copied. This means that if you press play again it will start from the beginning. Similarly, it is not possible to click onto a part of the text to start reading there before pressing play. This is only possible while it is already reading. I find that slightly annoying. And thus, a fix for that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the great reader^^ Other suggestions: A colour wheel to select the colours more freely than the provided options for text and background might be neat. I might chose a more beige or grey background, rather than an orange or black one if I had the choice.
- (2021-04-16, v:1.0.5) G M: Skipping around with formatting
Hello, I have been using the Text-to-Speech reader with my classes that requires online program with Simsnetonline.com. The Chapter are broken up into modules and each module contains sections with the information outlined (Title, 1.,2.,3., bulleted info. , 4., etc.). In the setup example above, the reader will do okay for items that do not include a bulleted list (Title,1., 2.) however when it finishes 2., it will skip 3. with the bulleted list go on to 4 and if there is another bulleted list it will skip it and go to the end of the section read the test, then the reader will go all the way back to 3. and read the words that are bold, italicized info in the text then read the bulleted list then go to the next bulleted list (if there is one) and do the same thing. Once it completes the bulleted list it goes to the next section and starts to read from there. Is there anyway to get the reader to read the text all the way thru the information being presented in a outlined format? Can this be fixed?
- (2021-04-05, v:1.0.5) Glend Junus Lodo Li: Forward Button
Hello, I have an advice to further the user experince,can you make the forward button to make it skip into the next sentence instead of next paragraph.Thank you
- (2021-03-18, v:1.0.5) Complex Carbivorous: Extension for Firefox?
Is there a web site for this extension? Is it also available for Firefox? Thx. (人^ᴗ^)
- (2021-03-02, v:1.0.4) Rilgar17: skip the references + use of pattern to replace some text
When we use this tool for reading a scientific article, there is a lot of references (like [1,2], or (autor and al.), ...) that cut the flow of speech. And it would be good to skip it. Also, it would be good, if some pattern like 'e.g' would be replaced by 'for example' or to define the pattern that we would like to replace. For example, ask the plugin to replace 'RNN' by 'Recurent Neural Network'.
- (2021-03-02, v:1.0.4) Rilgar17: The voice stops itself in the middle of the paragraphe
Sometimes, in the middle of the paragraph, the voice stops itself, when I re ask to read the paragraph, it stops itself in the same place. This is the website I try to read : https://journals.plos.org/ploscompbiol/article?id=10.1371/journal.pcbi.1007677 It stops on certain paragraphs, not all.
- (2021-02-28, v:1.0.4) Angel Perez Nieves: como cambio el idioma para leer en español
como cambio el idioma para leer en español?
- (2021-02-28, v:1.0.4) Peter Forbes: I want to use your app. but can't get it started. I have all loaded. but e.g. where is the chrome pop up menu.
To use Readme, simply navigate to the web page you want to read, then click the Readme icon on the Chrome menu. In the sidebar that opens, click the play button, after which automatic playback of the text contained on the page will begin. You assume this is easy and obvious. Maybe a demo video? Please explain. Thanks. Peter
- (2021-02-25, v:1.0.4) Tim Johnson: Verify
Once in a while it wants me to verify that I am not a robot. When I do it flashes the prompt open closed so I cannot verify.
- (2021-02-25, v:1.0.4) Jean Carlstedt: Pause Voice
Is there a way to pause the voice from reading when it's reading directly off a webpage? I know you can do it from the homepage if you upload from a document or copy and paste text but can you pause on a webpage itself?
- (2021-02-07, v:1.0.4) Vijay Gupta: The extension is not reading the web page
I can see the extension active and showing it has access to the concern web page, but on clicking the icon it is not showing any controls or reading the page. Do you any specific instructions, which needs to be followed?
- (2021-02-03, v:1.0.4) Carlos Martínez Fernández: Why it stops when It has no end the text??
When it is speaking the text suddently it stops. It is very frustrating
- (2021-01-31, v:1.0.4) L vV: Doesn't contineu
every time it stops and says i need offline voices? Where can i find offline voices? disappointing because it worked fine before
- (2021-01-28, v:1.0.4) A Metz: text stops
In the middle of reading a highlighted section, the readme extension just completely stops.
- (2021-01-04, v:1.0.4) Lovely Home: Doesn't work with Bangla & Google Docs
These days, Google Docs has become a vital space for using text-to-speech programs. Many read PDFs using Google Docs. But your extension wouldn't work on it. Again, though it is written in the description that it can transform Bangla text into voice, I can't find such an option. I hope you would look after it and further develop your product.
- (2021-01-04, v:1.0.4) Negrean Sergiu Aurelian: nu are limba română deși în descriere scrie că are.
nu are limba română deși în descriere scrie că are.
- (2020-12-25, v:1.0.4) Komal Patel: Doesnt work
when I click on the plug in nothing pops up. There is no instructions on how to use this.
- (2020-12-22, v:1.0.4) f H: A little trouble
How can I use voices other than Google and Microsoft? For example, US English Daniel has no sound, except for Google and Microsoft. Did I install it incorrectly? (Sorry, I used Google Translate for this passage)
- (2020-12-18, v:1.0.4) Sandro Tosi: Speech interrupts if the sentence is too long
if a sentence is too long, speech interrupts after a bit and doesnt complete the sentence nor continues to the next sentence. other extensions (likely using the same google apis) dont show this behavour
- (2020-12-15, v:1.0.4) Joseph Le: Regular expressions
A nice way to enhance TTS is the option to have regular expressions to alter pronounciation and tidy up text. I use TTS mainly to read web novels and sometimes they are untidy and, what is more important, names are often completely made up, which reflects on the enounciation. Having the ability to have a consistent set of reg exs run over the copied text before it is read out aloud is a huge boon. it should act as a "per paragraph" reg ex not a "per line" and maybe be able to be sorted in different categories. I.E. have a "Change Pronounciation" tab, which then has a "add folder/select folder" and "add pronounciation" button. The pronounciation should have options which uses "whole word" if a user is unfamiliar with Regular expressions, or does not have a need for it (i.e. have your programm internally add a pre- and suffix to it, normally a \b or a 'word boundary') and a "regular expression" option which then lets the user make better and more impactful changes.
- (2020-12-13, v:1.0.4) Gabriella Gamboa: even if it's played, there is no sound
it doesn't work
- (2020-12-03, v:1.0.3) non static field: rhis program just plays english voices.
I am from turkey and this is not working. can u solve ? Thanks. If this work, its very useful program
- (2020-11-18, v:1.0.1) Dana Bar Ziv: reply: "Hello Dana Bar Ziv, you cannot change the interface language yet, but you can use one of the available Hebrew voices. e.g. Carmit"
How do I do that? I cannot find a voice called carmit...
- (2020-11-18, v:1.0.1) Dana Bar Ziv: languages
it said you have hebrew but I cannot find it....
- (2020-11-11, v:1.0.1) Jorge Perez: it close google
when start reading a text suddenly it stop reading and it close google what can i do?? i need this app,,,,,
- (2020-11-11, v:1.0.1) splendid torch: Bug
For some reason, the voice reader tends to stop in the middle of sentences. It's not a huge deal because I can just move on to the next one, but it is a bit annoying.
- (2020-11-09, v:1.0.1) Nicoleta Gutu: language
Hi! It says in the description that it does have the romanian language, but i cannot find it. How do i set the language to romanian?
- (2020-11-08, v:1.0.1) Riel de Kock: Voices
How do I change voices and use different lanuahes? I HAve AN EYE PROBLEM - so please don't tell me the button is on the screen - tell me the button is on the top right hand corner....etc,etc
- (2020-11-05, v:1.0.1) geloscopic witch: Usage
How do I use Readme in Google Docs?
- (2020-10-30, v:1.0.1) Hicham Amarir: Option on Main menu ???
You said the option is only possible through the main menu. Where is the main menu ???
- (2020-10-26, v:1.0.1) Daniel Brown: Nothing happens
Nothing happens when I go to a page and click on the Readme icon. What do i need to do?
- (2020-10-23, v:1.0.1) Marijn Dewulf: Options button greyed out
The options button is greyed out, so I can't change any setting like voice, pitch, language, etc. I already restarted my browser and moved the extension and installed again, but "Options" is still greyed out. How can I solve this?
- (2020-10-21, v:1.0.1) Noè Meráz: Configuración
¿Como cambio el idioma?
- (2020-10-21, v:1.0.1) Mo Zakkut: Little suspicious unless you can explain.
Why do you keep asking for human verification every time i tweak with the settings? & why settings is grayed out when a user right clicks on the icon?
- (2020-10-20, v:1.0.1) Lauren Huanosto: Demo Video
Hi do you have a demo video to share to help with usage? Thanks
- (2020-10-09, v:1.0.1) Milly Dosla: Microsoft Neural Voices
I have 2 purchased voices from Microsoft: DE-Conrad and en-GB-Libby, both voices are neural. Is it possible to use them with this extension?
- (2020-10-05, v:1.0.0) John Bloch: Amazon Polly, IBM Watson
Is it possible to add more voice providers like Amazon Polly and IBM Watson ?
4.3 (579 votes)
Last update / version
2021-03-05 / 1.0.5