Blocks the fonts you want to block.
Right click on an annoying custom web font and click "Block custom font" to add it to the local database. The font will be blocked immediately. 1.19 Removed broken Bold and Italic support. 1.18 Fixed unused message port, no more vague "Unchecked runtime.lastError" errors. 1.17 Better Bold and Italic support. WebExtensions compatibility for Firefox. 1.16 Fewer console messages. 1.15 Added preview before confirming. 1.14 Page/browser action support since Chrome 49+ =( 1.13 Font storage to sync (in Google profile, if you're synced). 1.12 Font name case bug (x2) 1.11 Font override order+ 1.10 Only show page action if actually blocking fonts, per page. Added document type check. 1.9 Mark fonts for global blocking, on all websites everywhere always. 1.8 Removed session blocking, because useless and buggy. 1.7 Annoying warning about CORS sessionStorage? Added import and export. 1.6 Stupid bug for new users. Sorry. 1.5 Added page action for link to options. Added (un)glimpse via page action contextmenu. Added session blocking. 1.4 Block fonts per website to keep inline CSS size down. Added sorting on options page. 1.3 Fixed bug with adding very first font. 1.2 Added metadata (website & date). Changed options UI. 1.1 Added unblocking.
- (2021-08-12) Hans-Harald Glatt: Thank you, this comes in very handy to solve the new Twitter font dilemma.
- (2021-03-08) Alex Wood: Unfortunately it no longer seems to work. seleting an area of text, right click, select Block Custom Font and nothign is added to the list....
- (2019-10-02) Vlad Tyum: Rudie, thank you very much for the extension. Yet accounting an issue. Nowadays it changes fonts to limited list like Arial, Verdana. Could you please add "Default" option?
- (2019-02-26) David: Fantastic way to fix unreadable fonts on websites. Finally, I can get clear, unaliased, sans serif fonts without resorting to a reader app (Pocket/Instapaper/Mercury). Interface is very simple and each website is permanently fixed.
- (2019-01-15) László Boros: Super simple to use and yet super effective. I'm tired of unreadable thin fonts!
- (2018-09-20) Gardien Lainagier: I don't use font anti-aliasing and as a result, Google's new UI design is a complete trainwreck. This particular design oversight isn't terribly uncommon, unfortunately, but usually I can fix an ugly site by simply not going there. Depressing as it is to admit, this isn't an option with Gmail et al. So this extension is exactly what I need - no more Roboto, no more Google Sans, no more stupid eyestrain! Thankyou! I should give it four stars because there's slightly more I'd like to see (easier editing of existing filters, support for patterns like "*.google.com"), but it's just so perfect for my needs that it gets a boost. Fix a bad page with a right-click? My whole web just got better.
- (2018-04-27) Gus Fahrendorf: Highlight font area Right click to block font - This one works Thank you
- (2017-10-21) Brad Smith: As someone who always has font anti-aliasing turned off, this is an essential tool for making the web readable again. Thanks very much! It works great!
- (2017-10-06) Cassidy inman: Good extension to block fonts.
- (2017-08-14) David BAUMANN: ne fonctionne pas (Chrome 61)
- (2016-10-03) Eyes saving!!
- (2016-09-28) Edgar: I've been waiting for such an extension for a long time. This one is great because it lets you choose which one of the ugly web font you want to block. Other similar extensions blocks all the fonts of nothing, and some sites use web fonts as icons, and if we block those, we can't see them. Too bad we can't block once and for all the fonts we want, but we have to do it site by site. But this is not a problem, since I only have to do it once I go to that site. Now if only the same extension was available in Firefox, I'd be happy! No more "Open sans", "Roboto", and so on... My eyes say thank you!
- (2016-08-23) Edmund Szeto: This extension is SO useful for blocking out ugly fonts like "Open Sans"! THANK YOU!!!
- (2016-02-18) David Schontzler: It works! My eyes are so happy now!
- (2021-07-02, v:1.19) James T Kelley: Doesn't work for ExtremeTech.com
I couldn't get it to block ProximaNovaRgRegular. I had to use a different extension instead, called Font Overwrite. Unfortunately, that font requires me to actually know which font to replace, which makes it less convenient. That said, maybe you can use info from that extension to figure out the issue. I note that the font is set several times in the CSS--like around five, which might be the issue.
- (2019-12-01, v:1.19) MrScovndrel: Does not work on quickbooks.intuit.com support forums.
I see it working elsewhere, but when I use it there, the font is added to the list but still displays. Have tried multiple right-clicks in different areas in case there were different names, but no go.
- (2019-10-02, v:1.18) Vlad Tyum: No "default" font
Rudie, thank you very much for the extension. Yet accounting an issue. Nowadays it changes fonts to limited list like Arial, Verdana. Could you please add "Default" option? Verdana and Arial are not that great for reading
- (2016-05-24, v:1.15) Console debugging
fontblocker.content.js#31 A recent change seems to have introduced a debugging line that prints to console which is distracting when I have console open for my own development needs.