Converts all second person plural pronouns and verbs to regional English versions (i.e. y'all, yinz, you guys, youse guys).
In English, we use the word 'you' to refer both to a single person ('you are wonderful') and a group ('you are a team'). In oral speech, listeners tend to understand the meaning of 'you,' but it's not always clear when reading a text. This is a major problem in modern Bible translations. The original languages of the BIble (Hebrew for the Old Testament and Greek for the New Testament) have different words for you singular and you plural, and they show up in thousands of verses. This leads readers to think the 'you' refers to the individual reader, when in fact the original author is often addressing a group. Examples: "For I know the plans I have for YOU [plural], declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give YOU [plural] a future and a hope." (Jeremiah 29:11) "Do YOU [plural] not know that YOU [plural] are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in YOU [plural]?" (1 Corinthians 3:15) This plugin automatically updates verses on several popular Bible website (biblegateway.com, youversion.com, biblehub.com) any time the original languages (Greek or Hebrew) has a second person plural verb or pronoun. In the Options area, you can also select from a variety of of dialects ("You guys", "Y'all", "Yinz") based on your region and preferences, as well as the option to convert the name of God (YHWH translated with small caps LORD) to "Yahweh." My hope is that this helps develop a more community oriented reading and hearing of Scripture and pokes some good fun at my home states of Texas. The feature is also present on http://biblewebapp.com/app/
- (2017-10-19) Andrew Gray: I have given 5 stars because i want it to work., but alas it doesnt. HELP!
- (2016-10-27) Jazelle Brown: it dosent open it sucks
- (2015-09-17) Judy Davidson: loved it ya'll
- (2015-07-03) Michael Henley: Yes it is a fun app, but it is really eye opening to see the difference in meaning when y'all is used versus you. Sometimes it makes a big difference!
- (2014-10-21) David Snyder: Simply brilliant! Easy way to determine whether it's second person singular or plural. Thanks to whoever went through and figured it all out.
- (2014-07-15) Patricia Bowie: Works well
- (2014-06-09) Ray Jones: This is beyond great. It's wonderful. I was looking for an easy way to tell the difference, and even if this isn't perfect, it is incredibly easy!
- (2014-03-06) ידידיה בניהו: Interesting...I'm from Texas and thought this would be interesting. They should have an option to also change "the LORD" to ADONAI or HASHEM, also "Jesus" to "Yeshua" (His Hebrew name) if the user prefers. Shalom Y'all!
- (2013-10-15) Kristofer Tripp: Amazing technology, hats off to the designers. For a "Fun" category app, it's very illuminating. It's not perfect--John 3:7 should read "YOU should not be surprised that I say 'Y'ALL must be born again'." I enjoy it for what it does. @Ruter and @Makuh, menu button > Tools > Extensions. Enable or disable. Then reload the Bible webpage you were reading [reload button, or F5 key]
- (2013-08-28) Bobby Shirley: This is a nifty little plugin that allows me to understand the bible in a way that is totally natural for me.
- (2013-05-24) Weston Ruter: I also cannot click the save button in the settings. Also, the options show Western US possessive as "you guys's" but something I hear even more often is "your guys's"
- (2013-05-24) Ben Makuh: This is great! Although I can't actually change the options away from Texan English; I can't click the save button.
- (2013-05-24) Dan Martin: Love this extension!
- (2019-09-03, v:1.3.1) Mathew K J: Error: Invalid manifest
Hello John, Was trying out the extension, but getting the below error: "An error has occurred: There was a problem with the download. Please contact the developer or try again later. Invalid manifest" Thank you, Mathew K J P.S: Thanks for your work at http://yallversion.com/ Reached there via http://donteatthefruit.com/2013/05/texas-bible-second-person-plural-chrome-extension/
- (2018-06-18, v:1.3.1) Steve Terrell: latest OS
Love this extension but it's not loading.....HELP! High Sierra 10.13.5 (17F77) thanks, -steve
- (2018-05-09, v:1.3.1) Steve Terrell: an error has occured
Hi, Love your extension and use it all the time. Im on a Mac OS and recently updated system software to sierra 10.13.4 and the latest or Chrome is up to date. But every time I hit reload, it burps out the error message. HELP! thanks, -steve [email protected]
- (2017-01-29, v:1.3.1) Gary Vaterlaus: Toggle on/off
It would be great if it were possible to toggle this extension on and off by clicking on the icon. Now, I have to disable the extension if I don't want to see the ya'lls. Thanks.
- (2015-11-15, v:1.3.1) Mevline: Extension App is not on Apps Page in Chrome
Why is it that when I I select an extension for Texas Bible-2nd Person Plural Y'all that it is not appearing when I choose "Apps" in the upper-left corner of Chrome. Shouldn't it be there? A few other's do. I don't know how I got that picture but I'd like to change it. If anyone could help me. I'd greatly appreciate Ya'lls help.
- (2015-08-11, v:1.3.1) Mima Cruz: app
- (2015-04-30, v:1.3.1) Steve Wheeler: Can't see any change
I added the extension to Chrome and went to 2 different bible websites that was mentioned. I don't see anything but the normal text.
- (2014-04-22, v:1.3.1) Another variation
Love this extension! But any chance we could have another option here? In some parts of the UK (including Liverpool, where I work) the second person plural is a part of common speech. The word is yous (or youse if you prefer - though I think that rhymes with scouse and house etc.) I think the possessive is yous', though I think I have heard youses'.
- (2013-05-24, v:1.3.0) saving
I am not able to save form the extension manager. I want to change from Texas to Pittsburgh and the save button is greyed out? [email protected]